Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Are you grading the grifters or the charity effort

Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

prostitution to Japan but supercharged economic recovery.

I would have never made these connections so I wish I knew more about textiles, clothing, prostitution and the like. These are parts of social history I'm in the dark about but how it all came together in Japan from 1945-55 is really fascinating.

Wikipedia entry: "context matters" did not impress my wife about my historical studies.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cromulent_Chill posted:

25% grift. Not great, not terrible.

lmfao

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Next stalker game is the first game to be canceled by "all developers passed by being politically active"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That guy in particular went on to work at Frogwears. They make those Sherlock games and have been posting about the war recently.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
That's why you don't touch grass

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lostconfused posted:

That guy in particular went on to work at Frogwears. They make those Sherlock games and have been posting about the war recently.

drat, I liked their older games

Devil’s Daughter was loving trash though

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Water still needs to be trucked around in Donbass

Справедливая Россия - Zа правду - Донбасс posted:

(from t.me/sr_donbass/3048, via tgsa)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1606756125902249989

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
is that a... white phosphorous christmas?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

is that a... white phosphorous christmas?

thermite

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

probably best to donate things in 4s, so they only take 1

give 5, 2 will go missing, give 3, 1 will go missing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Russia joins... every country in the world that has ever gone to war in ignoring the ban on offensive use of incendiaries

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

Russia joins... every country in the world that has ever gone to war in ignoring the ban on offensive use of incendiaries

The rules of incendiaries are so tricky and weird and one of those "eh, war is hell" things. There are areas that are objectively terrible, like just firing them into civilian areas, but otherwise it's basically "You can use these against material, but not people. So burning down a depot full of war reserve material is fine or using burning obscuration on an empty field or forest to block line of sight is fine. But don't shoot it at people. UNLESS, you have no better way to remove the enemy personnel from combat. Then, if you really have to, go ahead and drop incendiaries in order to make the people no longer be combatants, one way or another. And there are some weapons that happen to have incendiary properties, but also other properties, so those are okay and..."

Generally speaking, we have neither seen any country in the last couple decades just mass leveling cities with incendiaries WW2 style, but we also have yet to see any country refrain from using them when they really, really want to use them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Also, if I can tie together Japan, Thailand, the Occupation of Germany and France, Mercenaries and Lyndon Johnson's "More Flags": The Hiring of Korean, Filipino and Thai Soldiers in the Vietnam War is about the American effort to legitimate the Vietnam War through SEATO, which came up recently ITT. It mentions that the Americans had coerced West Germany into agreeing to send troops, US officials had signed off, and then someone pointed out that the large number of Germans in the FFL during the Indochina War had thoroughly poisoned the Vietnamese against Germans. America also expected the rest of NATO to send troops and was frustrated that the existence of SEATO precluded invoking NATO. Which is maybe why natsec people want NATO to include Asia rather than a new alliance. The Americans were willing to undermine the Japanese constitution to send Japanese troops under SEATO but again, someone realized the Japanese troops occupying Vietnam would reflect poorly on America among the population. Finally, their efforts to bribe/coerce Britain and Canada were interesting, as was how they managed to get Australia and New Zealand to send forces.

It's mostly parenthetical, but we've talked about the EU and NATO here a lot, and the idea that America is somehow their friend is a really dangerous attitude to have because America's idea of coalition warfare is figuring out ways to coercing erstwhile allies into providing manpower for domestically and internationally unpopular wars.

fun fact taken as a proportion of the overall population south koreans actually had a higher participation rate in the vietnam war than the americans did to the point kim il sung talked about invading south korea at an obvious moment of weakness to which the soviet union and china replied lol no

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Isentropy posted:

Any idea why this is, or is this the obvious reason?

intimidated by Jamaican bobsled prowess

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regarde Aduck posted:

america and their proxies would never ever drop incendiaries on civilians

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah i didn't use rump state correctly, i just meant it's going to be somehow in a worse state than Latvia, a country of dog people (people who are dogs)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol nice knowing you and merry christmas to all

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Endman posted:

drat you need to do so much reading to keep up with this thread

I know far too much about western countries importing right wing diasporas now

crepeface posted:

learning about all the different flavours of idiot right wing nationalistic ethnic groups that fight each other like they're a Pokemon element counter chart

i wonder how many of these stepan bandera glorification societies would've lasted to 1991 without direct support and funding from above

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

lobotomy molo posted:

america and their proxies would never ever drop incendiaries on civilians

Ukraine has given the exact same treatment to Donetsk several times this war as documented in this thread, just another hosed up aspect of the war

I guess to be balanced in my commentary, it's been claimed by people on Twitter that it was the Russians who rained thermite down on Donetsk to make Ukraine look bad

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Trollstoy88/status/1606574454766596096

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speng31b posted:

lol drat

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

speng31b posted:

no way another ban for a joke more mild than one of cananibale’s?

quote:

Placeholder
oh god dammit. it’s been nice posting with you regarde, I’ll add you to the spreadsheet. :zpatriot:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobotomy molo posted:

no way another ban for a joke more mild than one of cananibale’s?

Calibanibal's funny, that's the difference.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Rashism infests these forums. It must be rooted out like a cancer growth

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah i didn't use rump state correctly, i just meant it's going to be somehow in a worse state than Latvia, a country of dog people (people who are dogs)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

put down like an animal

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
the truth of the matter is that putin invaded the ukraine to stop the advance wars remake from coming out

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol rip what was that, like two weeks of freedom?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Rashism infests these forums. It must be rooted out like a cancer growth

Regarde Aduck posted:

dog people (people who are dogs)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

especially heinous given the implications about cspam and dogs

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1604923998311251991

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

my theory: cspam moderation is so heavy-handed (ie. 400% more permabans) because y’all are expected to ‘keep cspam in line’, hence the need to performatively denounce and harshly punish in a way that’s out of line with every other subforum.

you used to be good, dude. what happened? :(

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
400% more permabans...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cspam will run out of permabans soon

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the mod forum rn

quote:

Some of the usual suspects are using Majorian’s visit to whine about how expensive aid to CSPAM mods is, so it's a good opportunity for this QCS report that notes that for just 5% of the SA permaban budget, we've disabled 50% of CSPAM’s posting power. Make it sting.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
You let people call the Latvians dogs and you know who is going to be whining about how they aren't allowed to call the Russians "Orcs" anymore. It's just how it is.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

30,000 permabans per day

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

gradenko_2000 posted:

it’s actually not the permabans, the mods don’t have the manufacturing capability up and running yet to make the sophisticated mod buttons.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobotomy molo posted:

my theory: cspam moderation is so heavy-handed (ie. 400% more permabans) because y’all are expected to ‘keep cspam in line’, hence the need to performatively denounce and harshly punish in a way that’s out of line with every other subforum.

you used to be good, dude. what happened? :(

I dunno man, just don’t post bigoted poo poo itt, it’s not that hard. Merry Christmas Eve to everyone who celebrates! Go be with your loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

I dunno man, just don’t post bigoted poo poo itt, it’s not that hard. Merry Christmas Eve to everyone who celebrates! Go be with your loved ones.

oh for sure, there are zero problems with cspam moderation. :) what bigoted poo poo did thatfatkid post itt to get permabanned? i was banned at the time, maybe there’s some context im missing?

thatfatkid posted:

RIP to the school and kindergarten teachers of kherson.

Also al saqr, please shut the gently caress up. You dont get to makes every possible prediction and then act smug when something happens. Youre so loving tedious

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

quote:

This is for a repeated pattern of toxic posting that drags down whatever thread you are posting in. You are no longer welcome on the forums.

weird, I guess I’m just not smart enough to understand :confused: