Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

:yikes:

on the subject of steam games what's the consensus on Return to Monkey Island? it's a part of the Devolver Digital sale: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/devolver

It's decent, could be better would go into the second half of a list of the best Monkey Island games for most. Ending is a let down but kind of in keeping with the traditions of Monkey Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

fez_machine posted:

It's decent, could be better would go into the second half of a list of the best Monkey Island games for most. Ending is a let down but kind of in keeping with the traditions of Monkey Island.

as long as I can laugh at some dumb puns and get frustrated by stupid puzzles I'm in. thanks for the push

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Clanfolk is a historical Rimworld sorta thing without any fighting in it as far as I know.

Waffle! posted:

Dorfromantik is chill, on sale, and has a creative mode.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Dwarf Fortress and Factorio let you disable raids, Autonauts doesn't have any to begin with but you're liable to hit a wall with it because of the repetition of programming every new bot manually.

kazil posted:

didn't Satisfactory just add a pacifism mode?

Thanks for the suggestions. I absolutely get filtered by the visual noise of stuff like factorio, but i guess that's on me. I might try out satisfactory, i like the idea of being able to walk around in 3rd person as well. I will probably pick up dwarf fortress soon too, i played a bit of the ascii version years ago and did enjoy the game play even though it was difficult to parse lol.

I think what I really want is something a little more minimalist than full on automation style games - i guess i should look into minecraft modding sometime but it seems like a lot of poo poo to dig through.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Loop Hero might be another good one to check out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

field balm posted:

I think what I really want is something a little more minimalist than full on automation style games - i guess i should look into minecraft modding sometime but it seems like a lot of poo poo to dig through.

If you want something more simplistic maybe give Astroneer a look. It's not nearly as in-depth as something like Factorio or Satisfactory but it's a good 20-or-so hour game with base building and exploration. The only enemies are a handful of aggressive plants which don't pose much of a threat.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

field balm posted:

Any real chill basebuilder games on sale? I don't mind complicated building/factory stuff just don't want to have to fight off enemies or anything while I do it. Ideally I just want to smoke up and then build a comfy place!

Anno 1800?

Izno
Sep 10, 2010

Azran posted:

Across the Obelisk or Gordian Quest? I really enjoyed Monster Train but not so much Slay the Spire. I can appreciate StS is an amazingly designed game but the moment to moment gameplay didn't captivate me as much. MT has positioning and a lot of different faction combos/variety so it was much more my speed.

I've played all of those games and I have to say Across the Obelisk hands down. It's so good and if you have some friends to play with it's even better, the coop is very well crafted and tons of fun. The single player is the same game though and is great. There are lots of different mechanics and builds you can put together and they feel great.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What's up with the goon hateboner for God of War? I've never played one and it looks vaguely interesting.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

What's up with the goon hateboner for God of War? I've never played one and it looks vaguely interesting.

Huh? GoW is a very good game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My roguelike card game recommendation is for Griftlands, but that’s closer to StS than MT.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

field balm posted:

Any real chill basebuilder games on sale? I don't mind complicated building/factory stuff just don't want to have to fight off enemies or anything while I do it. Ideally I just want to smoke up and then build a comfy place!

dunno if it's on sale but Against The Storm may be what you're looking for

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

It's alright

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Dwarf Fortress and Factorio let you disable raids, Autonauts doesn't have any to begin with but you're liable to hit a wall with it because of the repetition of programming every new bot manually.
Autonauts has had a few cracks at fixing that - originally they put a cassette tape you could copy bot instructions to and use on bots to reprogram them to that, but now there's just a building you can unlock that lets you save instruction sets as templates and just stamp them on to whatever you want.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fez_machine posted:

Oh lol I loved the ending. Absolutely knocked it out of the park for me. There was a bunch of collection achievements I wasn't too fussed about going and getting, but story wise I really felt like it hit the notes of the Monkey island I remember playing pitch perfect.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 25, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The new Monkey Island might be my favourite one of all of them (*I didn’t play the 3D ones) and the ending was good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

I don’t think there’s a widespread hateboner but some people hold it up on a pedestal when I would probably put it in the same class as an above average Ubisoft open world adventure (which I unashamedly enjoy from time to time, haters take a hike). I feel basically the same way about Ghost of Tsushima, which is thoroughly decent and easily a contender for top 100 games I’ve played.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RandomBlue posted:

Biggest problem I have with any games with randoms is time to slurs is usually less than a minute.

They're usually the dumbest morons who've ever lived on top of that

Just stand on the point you fucks! Shoot your guns! Do anything!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Saoshyant posted:

What made it click for you on PC? KB+M controls? Bigger screen (assuming you were playing Switch in handheld mode)?

Took a while to respond, but yeah its pretty much because Im alot better at km+m, and being closer to the screen kind of helps too

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Any of these games stand out from the others? I have a free game from Fanatical and I've literally never heard of any of these except Vermintide, which I got VT2 free and haven't played it yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
space crew's okay.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Never played Tower of Time, but it's a real game with reasonable reviews.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
A lot of people say original recipe Vermintide is superior to Vermintide 2

Tower of Time is a pretty fun tactical rpg with an interesting take on Real Time with Pause gameplay

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 25, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volte posted:

I don’t think there’s a widespread hateboner but some people hold it up on a pedestal when I would probably put it in the same class as an above average Ubisoft open world adventure (which I unashamedly enjoy from time to time, haters take a hike). I feel basically the same way about Ghost of Tsushima, which is thoroughly decent and easily a contender for top 100 games I’ve played.

I have resigned to accepting that maybe it is actually very good but I just have no interest in open world games, because this is how I feel about every single one of these as well as Horizon, BotW, newer Elder Scrolls, etc. I guess it really is a genre that I just don't "get". I feel like I'm exploring a map more than I'm exploring a game world.

I liked Elden Ring but not as much as other Souls games :effort:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 25, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it's not an open world game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
God of War isn't really open world, it's less 'open' than Dark Souls 1

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

My roguelike card game recommendation is for Griftlands, but that’s closer to StS than MT.

I also thought Griftlands was awesome. It seemed to get a good reception, but it looks like there aren't any plans for any DLC or sequels. Such a shame since I thought the world building was excellent too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think the key thing that, for me, makes it feel like an Open World Game when Dark Souls does not, is that God of War includes a detailed in-game map with icons pointing out specific types of collectables or repeated copy/paste activities or whatever. But I also quit playing it pretty much as soon as that map became accessible (which was like, 30+ minutes of cutscene and 5 minutes of gameplay) so maybe I misjudged it. I also didn't care about a story about angry macho dad teaching his son to be a sociopath but that's something I'd assume he redeems himself on later in the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lister posted:

I also thought Griftlands was awesome. It seemed to get a good reception, but it looks like there aren't any plans for any DLC or sequels. Such a shame since I thought the world building was excellent too.

for whatever reason, it flew under the radar of most people, and never got much attention. which is probably why it didnt get dlc

i thought it being a game by klei would guarantee a bit more exposure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can kind of tell people who never really played God of War 2018 because they always frame it as some plodding grimdark affair when the actual game script is efficient and mostly unpretentious, with plenty of humor and spectacle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
is it just my internet or is steam chugging hard with downloads on this christmas eve?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

So can I actually lay pipe on Doja Cat or is that DLC a waste of money? I ain't buying House Party otherwise.

The reviews on the DLC point to no.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

A good poster posted:

The reviews on the DLC point to no.

Wow the devs changed the explicit addon DLC to cost money. It was free on release and its needed to complete the game.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Any of these games stand out from the others? I have a free game from Fanatical and I've literally never heard of any of these except Vermintide, which I got VT2 free and haven't played it yet.

If you want a turn based party based RPG Monster's Den: Godfall is pretty good. Maybe stick to the random dungeons instead of the campaign if you want a quick fix. All the random loot you can handle, and even when sets become important you are tempted by legendary stuff. You can also filter loot for when you stop giving a drat about anything below X rarity.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

You can kind of tell people who never really played God of War 2018 because they always frame it as some plodding grimdark affair when the actual game script is efficient and mostly unpretentious, with plenty of humor and spectacle.

the misreads on the story are so wildly off base it's kind of impressive

I think the actual gameplay is just ok though, so I don't really go out of my way to recommend it - either you're onboard for Kratos' whacky Norse adventure or you're not, and if you are, it's perfectly competent, buttressed by superb presentation and some great performances that elevate the experience beyond the lows of uncharted wall climbing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a video game version of a Marvel movie.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

afaict it's nothing about god of war in particular but more of a general distaste for that sort of choreographed AAA 'cinematic game' genre as a whole, complete with all the "hold forward on the stick while an npc monologues to you about the story" stuff and npcs or the main character themselves constantly telling you the solution to every puzzle etc because the devs are terrified that any player might not experience the whole thing as intended

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ciaphas posted:

i love that game (but female dwarves when :colbert: [probably never :(])

They have admitted they made the mistake of not doing it from the get go. So now they have all these cosmetics they would have to redo and a ton of voice lines to record (all 4 classes are just 1 single model). They think charging for it would be lovely so they don't want to do that and just adding female voices to the male model feels like a cop out.

At this point I think we will have to wait for the sequel to see them.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

God of War is good but its very much a Cinematic Gaming Experience™

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

It's a video game version of a Marvel movie.

In what way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Stephen's Sausage Roll is really good once you figure out a few key lessons and start progressing steadily through the levels. Cleared out the first "world" and moved on to levels where you have to start skewering sausages, the game manages to do a lot of clever things with a few simple but highly restrictive rules.