Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

If the silver is basically a Katamari of bad feelings that grows more powerful the more misery it causes, and it can hijack devices that use the khert to operate, then if it uses that khert node like a big megaphone to broadcast and grow exponentially….
We could be looking at an international Double KO if the queen’s plot for the dammakhert also pays off. Two superpowers destroyed at the same time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sharteshane and Beadman win again!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there's probably a limiting factor in that it only has the one tiny khert portal so otherwise it's mostly stuck with ambient ghosts, but 1) even if so that's a pretty big problem and 2) i wouldn't particularly want to wager the survival of western Kasslyne on that theory

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch17/ch17_68.html

I had to do as recommended and click forward a couple of times to see the bottom right panel change, so it's sort of 3 pages, but just that one panel (and the surrounding panel breaking) different in each, to get a little surprise by one of the grossest characters in the comic.

Oh, and if it's not clear to anyone, that's not the real Matty, just a decoy. Doesn't mean he isn't still having a bad time elsewhere, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"matty with the weeping plague" is a nice little touch by Team Silver, i will say

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Nah, that's probably just the memory of when he got blinded.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Still kinda bummed to see Starfish back. Scum like him doesn't deserve a climactic duel. I liked that his epitaph was getting punked by a little kid.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Still kinda bummed to see Starfish back. Scum like him doesn't deserve a climactic duel. I liked that his epitaph was getting punked by a little kid.

You know, I would have agreed with you, but I think I like how it's being set up here. Not only does he make an extremely thematic end boss for Quigley's personal sidequest, it also theoretically keeps him out of the way of the main arc finale proper, which I agree he doesn't really deserve a place in.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Nah, that's probably just the memory of when he got blinded.

oh that makes more sense

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

"This'll lead me straight to Anadyne!" *camera zooms out slightly and pans two degrees to the left*

Ana don't want to end no world. All the pricks and pie are here. Toby was here. Her pymary too. I... gotta pull her out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am ready for Knock to save the world.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I can relate to Sette in panel 3 and 4 so many times in my life, hah. Not specifically, but just her facial expressions and dealing with "that person". Don't get me wrong, I think Knock is great, I just instinctively found myself nodding my head in empathy there. The nonchalant thumb point over the shoulder to the side nails it. It's well done.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lmfao

Don't get dead Knock

Nights Fallow
Jul 27, 2022
Unsounded updated twice since then:

Knock gives Sette some advice.

Time to run indeed.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
well starfish's exclamations are some background for sette, black tongue project that stopped growing up, been around for ten years with her da?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The most impactful thing is that it seems like her Da was telling the known kid diddler all about his girl who never grows up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
She was never a child to Nary Frummagem, she was always a resource he could never figure out how to properly exploit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

The most impactful thing is that it seems like her Da was telling the known kid diddler all about his girl who never grows up.

we already know that he contemplated giving Sette over as payment for the job. Starfish told Sette as much in the Nevergreen, she just memory-holed it in her usual way

Nary only reconsidered because he thought she’d be more useful as his catspaw

the only credit you can give to Nary is that he’s monstrous out of pragmatism, which is still enough to lift him above like 80% of this comic’s villains

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 23, 2022

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know the blacktongue's thesis title of the project that drew Sette from the khert now, the way this comic paces though I think it could be a while before answers pop up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

we already know that he contemplated giving Sette over as payment for the job. Starfish told Sette as much in the Nevergreen, she just memory-holed it in her usual way

Nary only reconsidered because he thought she’d be more useful as his catspaw

the only credit you can give to Nary is that he’s monstrous out of pragmatism, which is still enough to lift him above like 80% of this comic’s villains

Seemed to me like Nary was playing both sides there - offering Sette as payment to Starfish but also knowing she could probably kill him after his purpose was served and offering her encouragement for doing so.

In fact Sette being payment specifically wouldn't work once he actually tries to, well, get what he wants - Sette doesn't have genitals. I think this is one particular line of abuse Nary managed to just barely not cross.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Grognan posted:

I want to know the blacktongue's thesis title of the project that drew Sette from the khert now, the way this comic paces though I think it could be a while before answers pop up.
Even in a vacuum, I feel like eternal youth is something a lot of people would pay for; they just didn't figure out how to implement it properly.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
haha if duane is "live forever/work forever" and sette is "eternal youth" and project "gift a soul"(cutter) is used only for more pain I think I have a good idea why the black tongues tend to get the side-eye/warcrime treatment.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Seemed to me like Nary was playing both sides there - offering Sette as payment to Starfish but also knowing she could probably kill him after his purpose was served and offering her encouragement for doing so.

I never took it certainly one way or another, it's sort of left up in the air and we may never know for sure, but this scenario seemed more likely. Especially if things had gone as planned as far as we know, Sette would have showed up at Stockyards asking for payment to Nary, he would have laughed and said thank you for Duane, then probably told Starfish to get lost and Stockyard I think was supposed to take Sette with him but might have just sent her home.

He probably didn't intend on handing her over to Starfish, he had the bigger gang and more resources, but maybe he would have just... not cared? As in at worst not intending on honoring the maybe real deal maybe lie Starfish was told and figuring Sette was on her own with that one, which as it turned out, she managed to handle before things even got that far. Again at worst Nary probably was giving her a "thrown to the wolves" sort of challenge, and while the threat was very real, I feel that the "sink or swim" mentality is at least a little better then fully intending on using her as payment.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking as a psycho gang boss: I wouldn't feel bad about stiffing a chomo on "payment". Especially if the brat has the literal loyalty of an flippin' attack zombie. They didn't give the amulet to starfish afterall. nobody gave the slightest poo poo that he died.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Grognan posted:

Thinking as a psycho gang boss: I wouldn't feel bad about stiffing a chomo on "payment". Especially if the brat has the literal loyalty of an flippin' attack zombie. They didn't give the amulet to starfish afterall. nobody gave the slightest poo poo that he died.

Yeah, I suspect it's a matter of Nary thinking that if Sette couldn't deal with Starfish then it's no loss to lose her. Though he probably expected that Sette (or Stockyard) would have no issues getting rid of him.

Not that it makes it any better or whatever but we already knew that Nary was a piece of poo poo, that's not really a secret.
Sette was the only one who thought otherwise.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Honestly I'm not even sure Nary promised anything to Starfish, I have to wonder if he was just relying on ~the implication~

Not that this makes Nary any less garbage, of course.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like the story's provided enough insight into how Nary thinks that, "Stiff Starfish on the payment by offering my girl, who will never believe him and (probably) kill him," is on-brand for him.

As reprehensible as he is, I'm ever in awe of Cope's ability to fully characterize someone who's appeared for less than 10 pages of her whole comic's run.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Even in a vacuum, I feel like eternal youth is something a lot of people would pay for; they just didn't figure out how to implement it properly.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense if this instantiation of Sette did turn out to be a Blacktongue thing.

...or if all the ones in the modern day did? Sessine has been doing her thing since at least Ssael's day, after all

Hm, you might have hit on something important here.

e: also, rereading the last couple pages, confirmation that Sharteshane use the term "mark" :smug:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 26, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch17/ch17_78.html

Many developments! Darkest is actually a pretty fun character.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Esme Toma will be a widow twice over!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kyte posted:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch17/ch17_78.html

Many developments! Darkest is actually a pretty fun character.

So used to him being the antagonist of a lovely but charismatic pretty boy that I didn't expect him to be so wise, even as he's trying (and failing) to maintain his sinister persona.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I like the way he misuses the phrase "virtue signaling" to show he's still a dick.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

So used to him being the antagonist of a lovely but charismatic pretty boy that I didn't expect him to be so wise, even as he's trying (and failing) to maintain his sinister persona.

as ash notes in recent tumblr posts, darkest is an enormous dumbass in his personal and name-choice life but is actually quite intelligent and competent in areas that are immediately relevant to working with Queen Sonorie and also to reducing the odds of him being eaten by the Silver

quote:

Darkest gets punked by Bastion a lot but if you go back and look at any scene he’s in, he’s generally pretty competent and collected. I think it’s easy to miss just all he’s done because he’s intrinsically such an edgelord goofball, but 1) He partnered with a horrifying efheby to orchestrate a coup and take over the Black Tongues 2) He sliced a khert-line so quickly and expertly that he threw an off-setting genius wright off track 3) He later utilized Juste’s scryestone so precisely that he was able to locate Bastion specifically two countries away 4) He’s now serving as primary liaison between the BTs and the Queen of Cresce as they orchestrate some hella complex and revolutionary actions.

One should always make fun of Darkest because of course one should, but objectively, he’s pretty badass. He’s a really good leader for the Black Tongues to have right now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
He's the funniest character because of the thought process his name implies. "To be a Paul... perhaps a dark Paul? No, the darkest Paul of all!!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“darkest pall” is a common flowery term for something menacing and mysterious. I realize this does not help his case

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it didn't do a lot for his dignity but changing his name to an evil pun probably went a long way towards convincing the other mad scientists he's a psychopath with no regard for conventional morality

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh I'm sure the other Blacktongues over enunciated his name all the time to make it clear they were saying Paul.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It is an edgy name it but it's also an edgy name that sounds reasonably like his given name which probably helped a lot of actually looking up when people said it after he first adopted it.

(Tarpaulin -> Dark Paul -> Darkest Paul)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Got both an unexpected wide smile and mood whiplash with Sonorie being A Mom.

e: Here to your queen, Peaceguard.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cope thought very hard about to make karl look as undignified as possible on this page and i appreciate it