Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I have meditated on it and who amongst us does not deserve a second chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bitmap posted:

I have meditated on it and who amongst us does not deserve a second chance

Jay Jeon.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

please, Blippi also propped his back up to a wall and diarrhea poo poo into his own face

I was so happy when my kid got over the Blippi phase, not cause of his excess use of diarrhea but I just couldn’t stand him

also, justice for the dude who wrote and sang the songs I think Nicky Notes is his name

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Cassette Moodcore posted:

please, Blippi also propped his back up to a wall and diarrhea poo poo into his own face

I was so happy when my kid got over the Blippi phase, not cause of his excess use of diarrhea but I just couldn’t stand him

also, justice for the dude who wrote and sang the songs I think Nicky Notes is his name

He's annoying but he's still a Worker.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Enjoying this article today, might be a fun read for parents ITT with kids between 3 and 8

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20221124-should-you-tell-your-child-the-truth-about-santa

some choice excerpts

quote:

Fascinatingly, although the modern world feels like it has been stripped of so much of its magic, belief in Santa Claus has remained remarkably consistent. Back in 1978, a study published in the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry found that 85% of four-year-olds said they believed in Santa. More than a quarter of a century later, in 2011, research published in the Journal of Cognition and Development found that a very similar 83% of 5-year-olds claimed to be true believers. And that is despite Google Trends showing that the search term "is Santa real" spikes every December.

quote:

Amy's experience tallies with research published in Child Psychology and Human Development that found children generally discovered the truth about Santa on their own at the age of seven and reported "predominantly positive" reactions to discovering this. However, the study showed parents, on the other hand, fared less well, describing themselves as "predominantly sad" in reaction to their child's discovery.

And herein lies the major issue for both Johnson and Schiebe: It's not so much children but rather their parents who refuse to let go of Santa Claus.

quote:

It's always been the part of the Santa Claus myth that I have found the most uncomfortable. His presence as a sort of festive Big Brother, an all-seeing eye constantly judging your behaviour as either "naughty" or "nice". And recently this element of the mythos has gained a whole new lease of life, with Elf on the Shelf – described on its own website as "Santa's scout elf" – supposedly reporting behaviour back to Santa, and even fake CCTV "Santa cams" that parents can install to hammer home the message that you are never not being watched. In many ways it feels Santa has become a working model for Foucault's panopticism – a form of internalised surveillance and self-monitoring that no longer requires external enforcement.

quote:

There's another uncomfortable by-product of Santa making a list and checking it twice to find out who's been naughty or nice: it builds an idea that gifts are a measurement of their moral worth.

"We have so many ways that we perpetuate the idea that people get what they deserve," says Philip N Cohen, professor of sociology at the University of Maryland, College Park. "You're telling [children] that the presents they get are a function of the quality of their goodness, which just seems a harsh lesson in a world with so much inequality."

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
https://twitter.com/roastmalone_/status/1597364139684683776?s=46&t=nWbCxz6-uX_jDhHpM4n4IQ

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sesame Street is p cool. At 21 months in Hey Bear Sensory (videos of 3D fruit renders bouncing and dancing to royalty free music) still deactivates my child from any meltdown just like when he was a newborn.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geTSBFb_GR4

They Might Be Giants put out a bunch of children's music when my kids were little and we listened to it constantly. I'm partial to this tune myself.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

bitmap posted:

To be fair you pulled him from the void into a prison of flesh on this world without his permission

Almost a year before we got married, I woke up my now wife by screaming in despair: In my dreams we were already married with the most perfect little girl ever. And then I woke up to our current nightmare world, without our daughter.

And now in about two months our daughter will come to nightmare world with us. May God have mercy on our souls.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Christmas Morning accomplished. Lil guy opened one present and is playing with it. Wife keeps putting other presents in his view for him to tear into, but he keeps pushing them away to play with the first present. Lmao

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
at 6 my kid figured out we’re Santa and tooth fairy but we told her she can be a Santa to someone as that helped. she lost another tooth yesterday so it is a triple event: tooth fairy, Xmas, last night of Hanukkah.

growing up Hanukkah was the educational holiday so I continue that with gifts that are educational and save the fun stuff for Xmas.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anybody ever deal with infant bottle aversion?

Our girl was a preemie originally diagnosed with NEC and then later a milk allergy. Now on hypoallergenic formula. She's only 15 weeks adjusted and still a little thing at 11 pounds -- I think 9th percentile for weight.

She has started fighting us a little bit at feeds and we're starting to zero in on maybe it being an aversion caused by us pressuring her to eat. She'll scream sometimes when the bib goes on. Or arch her back when we go to give her the nipple even though she might initially go for it or give us hunger cues.

The initial thought was that it was reflux. We added oatmeal to her formula, but that seemed to make it worse. Once my wife suggested aversion though I read a book on it and it seems to fit the bill. My wife is an anxious person and feels a lot of internalized pressure to make her gain weight, especially given the inability to breast feed. I think baby might be picking up on those vibes?

We also got some bad (I think) advice from a GI about our formula concentration. She gave us this off-book recipe for the formula that I calculated as being 24.5 kcal/oz, when most feeding guidance is based on 20 kcal/oz. So we've been trying to get her to live up to a certain volume when she's also getting 22% extra calories. So of course she's full and then pissed off when we try and keep feeding her after she's full.

Having a kid is an eye-opening reminder that a lot of times doctors don't know poo poo. Or even if they do, they don't have the time to really actually be useful.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

our oldest just refused to take a bottle ever. it was awesome. at the time we lived in GA and they did not consider this a problem we could get help for.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

My wife paid $600 for a sleep consultant for our kid who was waking up through the night every few hours. I thought it was fuckin dumb but after 2 weeks he's sleeping through the night and I could claim it on my health insurance (Canada). Yay sleep

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Christmas Morning accomplished. Lil guy opened one present and is playing with it. Wife keeps putting other presents in his view for him to tear into, but he keeps pushing them away to play with the first present. Lmao

It took us four hours to get through 4 presents per kid lol. The 2yo took a snack break halfway through, "no presents, eating." Ok dude, it's your holiday.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

we induce tomorrow morning at 7am after 37 weeks of twin pregnancy

we have the double bassinet ready, both car seat bases installed, twin feeding chair (with beer holders!) a go. I smoked two pork butts and they're in the freezer along with a ton of other mostly prepared food. We will survive.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Mustached Demon posted:

we induce tomorrow morning at 7am after 37 weeks of twin pregnancy

we have the double bassinet ready, both car seat bases installed, twin feeding chair (with beer holders!) a go. I smoked two pork butts and they're in the freezer along with a ton of other mostly prepared food. We will survive.

Good planning! Great job! Good luck!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Chad Sexington posted:

Our girl was a preemie originally diagnosed with NEC and then later a milk allergy. Now on hypoallergenic formula. She's only 15 weeks adjusted and still a little thing at 11 pounds -- I think 9th percentile for weight.

She has started fighting us a little bit at feeds and we're starting to zero in on maybe it being an aversion caused by us pressuring her to eat. She'll scream sometimes when the bib goes on. Or arch her back when we go to give her the nipple even though she might initially go for it or give us hunger cues.

The initial thought was that it was reflux. We added oatmeal to her formula, but that seemed to make it worse. Once my wife suggested aversion though I read a book on it and it seems to fit the bill. My wife is an anxious person and feels a lot of internalized pressure to make her gain weight, especially given the inability to breast feed. I think baby might be picking up on those vibes?

We also got some bad (I think) advice from a GI about our formula concentration. She gave us this off-book recipe for the formula that I calculated as being 24.5 kcal/oz, when most feeding guidance is based on 20 kcal/oz. So we've been trying to get her to live up to a certain volume when she's also getting 22% extra calories. So of course she's full and then pissed off when we try and keep feeding her after she's full.

Having a kid is an eye-opening reminder that a lot of times doctors don't know poo poo. Or even if they do, they don't have the time to really actually be useful.

Seems like you have a lot of analysis and data and whatnot already so I feel a little silly giving my vibes based advice but here it is.

Let the kid get hungry before you feed her. Don't rush to feed her cause she won't learn the reward of feeling good from eating if she's not hungry and you're just topping her off every time. After a bit of that it might even out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Babies have arrived with a combined weight of 15 lbs

I got A on my non posting arm, B's asleep in the bassinet, mom's napping

So far so good in hospital night 1, maybe we'll be able to go home tomorrow

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD MATCHING TINY PEOPLE ❤️

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Mustached Demon posted:

Good job man this is huge. Let mom know she's very cool.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

mom is extremely cool

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mazel tov to the four of you!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah mom spent a total of four hours between initial start of induce drug to baby B out

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

in terms of bottle aversion, late to the party and it’s probably not relevant but our kid had a lot of issues due to being born early as mom had a lot of pregnancy issues and kid had colic and bottle aversion, it was awful

eventually with a pediatrician figured out that she was allergic to dairy, that first year was absolute hell I was so jealous of parents whose kids just ate, slept, didn’t cry over 5 hours a day it was exhausting and soul crushing at times

but 7 years later she’s doing great and it’s crazy to think back about those hard times because it was only around a year but in the moment felt like a lifetime

obviously there are new challenges now but you’ll get through it

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

congratulations! may your children be chill and sleep for long periods of time

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mustached Demon posted:

Congratulations!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
grats mustache dad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My two-year-old keeps asking me to read out loud to her from my book I'm reading (the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo)

There's no way she understands any of this nineteenth-century translated-from-French prose but she insists on it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

loquacius posted:

My two-year-old keeps asking me to read out loud to her from my book I'm reading (the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo)

There's no way she understands any of this nineteenth-century translated-from-French prose but she insists on it

Oh yes, definitely. At one point I was reading out from Grant's memoirs at that age, it's fabulous.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Chad Sexington posted:

Why do you think the fortified formula is bad? It should help her gain weight.

My daughter had a suspected cow's milk allergy, which turned out to be bullshit and she had something else. But I've been through all this, especially the weight gain pressure and anxiety, the inability to breastfeed, cycling through extrememly expensive formulas with fortified recipes, etc..

Are you doing regular weights at your paediatrician? If not, I would suggest getting a scale and doing regular weights at home to alleviate some anxiety. If she's gaining weight, there's no reason to stress out about feeding too much.

Reflux happens after feeding, and it would be fairly obvious if she's having pain after feeding.

Lastly, if she's able to hold her head up, get a bumble chair and start solids asap. Solids can be very very good for helping kids with GI issues grow.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son was sick the week of christmas and it turns out he had a double ear infection. as an aside, this made my mod panel posting timeout very annoying because all he wanted to do was sit in my lap and watch stupid poo poo on tv, and i couldn't even post through it!!!!!!! anyway he was having so much trouble sleeping that i started letting him sleep with me, since he's really attached to me and relies on me for comfort. it helped! and he's responded very quickly to the antibiotics and is back to his old self now, which is great.

i was really worried that after four nights of sleeping with me he would be difficult to get back into his own bed, but thankfully he only fussed a little bit and has done great sleeping the last few nights. unfortunately though all that proximity to him has gotten me sick, i feel pretty crummy right now lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

son update: i made him pizza for lunch and he wants to dip it peanut butter :barf:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

son update: i made him pizza for lunch and he wants to dip it peanut butter :barf:

My youngest did this with ketchup for awhile. The mixing with other sauces makes sense (like kranch), but he's also slathered his waffles in ketchup before

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kid eats mushrooms sometimes with ketchup. whatever it takes I guess

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Tomato taste is good. Vinegar taste is good. Mixed together they're good. So obviously combining them with even more good tastes will be better. Simple math. :hai:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kitfox88 posted:

Tomato taste is good. Vinegar taste is good. Mixed together they're good. So obviously combining them with even more good tastes will be better. Simple math. :hai:

Add sugar and yeah delicious.

One thing I wasn't prepared for with newborn(s): toddler demon looks like a brick poo poo house compared to the twins. Doesn't help twins are typically smaller.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My son has been eating pickle sandwiches (open faced) for the past couple of days, because my wife made liver pate (a stable kids topping in Denmark). He didn't care to try the pate, but he loves pickles.
He is completely opposed to sauce or soup of any kind though. He will not try it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean I legendarily saved fries at the diner to dip in my chocolate ice cream sundae for many many years. Rip that diner, like so many ice cream places in my home town it is now a bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speaking of weird things my son likes, here is one im very grateful for: medicine! when he's feeling bad he asks for medicine, he gets very excited when it's time for medicine. he's supposed to take his antibiotic in about half an hour and he keeps asking me about it lol. i remember being extremely averse to taking medicine as a child and so am very glad to not have to deal with that.