Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lobotomy molo posted:

oh for sure, there are zero problems with cspam moderation. :) what bigoted poo poo did thatfatkid post itt to get permabanned? i was banned at the time, maybe there’s some context im missing?

weird, I guess I’m just not smart enough to understand :confused:

free thatfatkid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

:drat:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PutinDirect/status/1606761422196977664?t=oFLNJx4FO2TmQYsAZV2V9g&s=19

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ignore the NDT poo poo below the image
https://mobile.twitter.com/BesDMarx/status/1606873202793267201/photo/1

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

:trumppop:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

free thatfatkid

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

careful or he might gas your thread about a cartoon childs politics

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Ignore the NDT poo poo

Way ahead of you

Also if Orange Devil didn't already post the link:

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1607014001333919746?t=-7Yo1caJw7CyoAiXeAABOg&s=19

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Isentropy posted:

Way ahead of you

Also if Orange Devil didn't already post the link:

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1607014001333919746?t=-7Yo1caJw7CyoAiXeAABOg&s=19

The (subs in the) video said nothing about the 25th

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Majorian posted:

I dunno man, just don’t post bigoted poo poo itt, it’s not that hard. Merry Christmas Eve to everyone who celebrates! Go be with your loved ones.

you're a moron

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
and you ruined christmas

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cuttlefush posted:

and you ruined christmas

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9nnap31PDo

I guess the new year is nearly here so gotta change it up a bit. Russians are now zombies instead of orcs.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/25/a-second-front-fight-to-save-cave-complexes-from-developers-in-ukraine

Good luck to this guy to stop private developers from bulldozing archaeological sites but I won't hold my breath. This stood out though:

quote:

Perov’s fight is part of an bigger effort by civil society actors against the rampant corruption among the country’s elites, a longstanding problem in Ukraine that has endured despite the war.

"despite", how could Ukrainian elites not do the right thing and rein in their corruption when we know they are the good guys?

There are a lot of little examples of your average western citizen or journalist having a totally different understanding of war to, I guess, like people in the cspam thread and nobody else - namely going all in on the belief that war is now a foundation for a renewal and improvement of Ukrainian society, which somehow manages to make it a more tolerant, less corrupt and happier and better place - as opposed to something that inevitably leads to social decay and moral and political corruption.

You could have a more coherent and defensible position where Russia are still the bad guys, and Ukraine should be supported against them, but the support has to be restrained to limit the damaging forces the war will unleash within Ukraine, but of course this does not align with western geopolitical interests.

Instead we get a line on the power of total war to uplift society :thunk:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

RIP to the school and kindergarten teachers of kherson.

Also al saqr, please shut the gently caress up. You dont get to makes every possible prediction and then act smug when something happens. Youre so loving tedious

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol what the gently caress was this perma

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.hudson.org/foreign-policy/preparing-final-collapse-soviet-union-dissolution-russian-federation

Preparing for the Final Collapse of the Soviet Union

The fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the resignation of Mikhail Gorbachev as president of the Soviet Union in 1991 marked the start of the USSR’s collapse—but not the collapse itself. While the USSR ceased to exist as a legal entity after 1991, the collapse of the USSR is still happening today. The two Chechen Wars, Russia’s invasion of Georgia in 2008, Russia's annexation of Crimea in 2014, the on-and-off border skirmishes between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, and the 2020 Second Karabakh War between Armenia and Azerbaijan are just a few examples showing that the Soviet Union is still collapsing today. 

However, future historians will likely describe Russia's February 2022 invasion of Ukraine as the most consequential moment, if not the final moment, of the Soviet Union’s collapse. When the war in Ukraine will end is unknown, but it will likely mark the dissolution of the Russian Federation (the legal successor of the Soviet Union) as it is known today. Russia has undeniably suffered a major blow to its economy, devastation to its military capability, and degradation of its influence in regions where it once had clout. The borders of the Russian Federation will likely not look the same on a map in 10 or 20 years as they do now. As the final collapse of the Soviet Union plays out and as the Russian Federation faces the possibility of dissolving, policymakers need to start planning for the new geopolitical reality on the Eurasian landmass.

[..]

Planning Assumptions

Although no one can predict what kind of Russia will emerge after the end of Putin’s rule, some reasonable assumptions can help policymakers plan better. These planning assumptions include: 

Russia will further fragment. The dissolution of the Russian Federation, whether de facto or de jure, could shatter Russia geopolitically. This further fragmentation will likely not be as straightforward or “clean cut” as the emergence of the 15 new states after the legal dissolution of the USSR in 1991. Policymakers should assume that further fragmentation of Russia will be more like Chechnya in 1994 (brutal conflict) than Estonia in 1991(peaceful and straightforward), for example.

What should the US do to coordinate an international response to the calls for independence and self-determination that will likely emerge across Russia? The Russian Federation consists of 83 federal entities. Many comprise people with a shared culture, history, and language different from Russia’s Slavic population. Some of these entities already have low-level independence movements.5 In the aftermath of the dissolution of the Russian Federation, policymakers should expect some of these federal entities to declare independence. The United States needs to work with its partners to coordinate a response to these calls for self-determination in a way that is aligned with US interests and is in accordance with international law.

. How can the US and its partners keep internal armed conflict from spreading after the dissolution of the Russian Federation? The breakup of the Russian Federation will likely lead to internal fighting between different centers of power. It is in America's interests that fighting and conflict remain inside the current borders of the Russian Federation and do not affect neighboring countries. So the US and willing partners will need to enhance bilateral cooperation across the Eurasian landmass to improve military, border security, law enforcement, and security sector capabilities.

How can the US and its partners coordinate economic and reconstruction assistance for regions under Russian occupation that will be liberated? Not only will the dissolution of the Russian Federation likely lead to calls for independence from certain regions inside Russia, but places where Russia currently occupies territory outside its borders will also likely be liberated. This includes Transnistria in Moldova, Abkhazia and the Tskhinvali (also known as South Ossetia) regions in Georgia, and Crimea and other places in Ukraine currently under Russian occupation. Washington will have a unique opportunity to help these US partners restore their territorial integrity inside their internationally recognized borders.

The faster and more effectively this is done, the more stable the situation will become

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
is there a single fact to back that up?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

do you doubt the credibility of a senior fella?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
why are his eyes askew? Is he making the smug emoji face?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TsurkanKate/status/1605829367078088704

Yes thank you Good Soldier Yuriy. The problem isn't with Putin, but rather the innate character of the Russian species :hmmyes:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tankbuster posted:

Yeah, number one: that's terror

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

crepeface posted:

free thatfatkid

:wrong: Bad poster, do not free!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tankbuster posted:

i feel like that particular article should be read less as a prediction and more as a statement of intent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mila kunis posted:

https://www.hudson.org/foreign-policy/preparing-final-collapse-soviet-union-dissolution-russian-federation

The faster and more effectively this is done, the more stable the situation will become

So, just throw billions of dollars in weapons and dollars at anyone within Russian borders who doesn't like the Kremlin?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

i feel like that particular article should be read less as a prediction and more as a statement of intent

it's cool that they want to take on china as well while doing this. one major front at a time with a nuclear power? that poo poo's for pussies

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I want to bounce an idea off with you guys.

I was thinking worst case scenario how much resource and how long can US stay in this war.

I looked up the Afghan number and actually the highest support US spent in Afghan was still higher than the support to Ukraine in 2022.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47391821
Both in 2011 2012 the support were around 110B anually.

So far Biden has pledged more than 100B but part of it will go toward 2023.

The reason is obvious to me, paying Ukrainians to fight the war is much more cost effective than fighting a war partially with American men.

Plus 2011 dollar worth more than 2022 dollar.

So I think US can easily sustain the war for 5+ years. The bottleneck is the not the monetary support to the Ukraine civilian infrastructure but rather how fast the west (plus Korea) can build and send military hardware to Ukraine.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Gripweed posted:

So, just throw billions of dollars in weapons and dollars at anyone within Russian borders who doesn't like the Kremlin?

This worked out great in Afghanistan, I hear.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Correct. US financial might is practically limitless, so it can pour money in without concern.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ughhhh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9nnap31PDo

I guess the new year is nearly here so gotta change it up a bit. Russians are now zombies instead of orcs.

You can tell this is Russian propaganda since the reporter can't speak Ukrainian for some reason.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah, number one: that's terror

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

crepeface posted:

free thatfatkid

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
free all political cspam prisoners for christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

So I think US can easily sustain the war for 5+ years. The bottleneck is the not the monetary support to the Ukraine civilian infrastructure but rather how fast the west (plus Korea) can build and send military hardware to Ukraine.

Someone needs to really investigate it in more detail imo.

Because US is sending some weapons, but not all of them, and not even most of them as I understand it. Europe is still the one doing most of the work here.