Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy A. Person posted:

So then presumably there is an Ondor and an Indor and an Undor somewhere in the SW universe we will find out about in due time

There is already an Onderon. One of the people in Andor comes from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is an Onderon and that's where Forrest Whitaker's space Che Guevara character is from.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

again, did they run out of phonemes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Guy A. Person posted:

So then presumably there is an Ondor and an Indor and an Undor somewhere in the SW universe we will find out about in due time

P much, if star wars is set in Wales there's probably a LLndor

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My attitude at this point is that, after Rise of Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Mandalorian 2 and honestly Solo, I just don't think I'm that in for Star Wars any more. I loved Star Wars as a kid and I will still go back and watch the original movies but selling me on sitting down to watch more is going to be really difficult. Andor might be good but if it was really worth watching it wouldn't be Star Wars.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drake no: luke skywalker
drake yes: luke skyywalker

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Andor is the planet the blue people with antennae are from

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alaois posted:

drake no: luke skywalker
drake yes: luke skyywalker

Luuke or Bigger Luke.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Andor is literally the name of the Atlantis like island in LOTR, raised up as a gift for humanity because they sided with the Valar against Morgoth. Then it sunk cause of a series of Tolkien events around Sauron and desire for power that culminated in their civilization trying to invade heaven.

That's the whole reason I thought it was a LOTR show

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

My attitude at this point is that, after Rise of Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Mandalorian 2 and honestly Solo, I just don't think I'm that in for Star Wars any more. I loved Star Wars as a kid and I will still go back and watch the original movies but selling me on sitting down to watch more is going to be really difficult. Andor might be good but if it was really worth watching it wouldn't be Star Wars.

I have not watched any of those you listed aside form the original movies and Andor was really solid

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grondoth posted:

Andor is literally the name of the Atlantis like island in LOTR, raised up as a gift for humanity because they sided with the Valar against Morgoth. Then it sunk cause of a series of Tolkien events around Sauron and desire for power that culminated in their civilization trying to invade heaven.

That's the whole reason I thought it was a LOTR show

Isn’t that Numenor?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

oh yeah, got my brain crosswired because of the Andorians from Star Trek

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

Isn’t that Numenor?

Like everything in Tolkien it's got several names.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

can't believe space cops would abuse their power, completely unrealistic, would never happen

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

RatHat posted:

Isn’t that Numenor?

Tolkien, a language nerd, never let anything have one name. Different languages all had different names for the place, so it's Andor, Elenna, Elenna-nore, Numenor, and Yozayan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Frodo's name not actually being Frodo is one of the funnier ones.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Frodo's name not actually being Frodo is one of the funnier ones.

What

quote:

Tolkien even translated the names of the Hobbits. There were never any hobbits called Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry; their real names were Maura, Ban, Razar and Kali.

Oh what the gently caress

Merry is She Who is Death?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bilbo's real name is Bilba. I guess Tolkien was in a rush that day.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Ever since I learned that I'm so upset there's no pizza place I've ever been able to find called Labingi's. It somehow just feels like the right type of fake italian.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Andor is the planet the blue people with antennae are from

You’re thinking of the name of Samanthas mom from Bewitched

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I just looked it up to be sure, didn't want to look like I didn't know anything. frodo... isn't a word in english though?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

egg tats posted:

I just looked it up to be sure, didn't want to look like I didn't know anything. frodo... isn't a word in english though?

Frod is a word in old english. Tolkien could not be stopped. Merry was chosen cause his full name, Kalimac, was shortened to Kali, and that meant joy. But Merry's his nickname. His full translated name is Meriadoc.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 25, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Gollum | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | Fandom
Sméagol's "real" Westron name was Trahald, of the meaning "burrowing, worming in or "apt to creep ...
Other names: Trahald, Slinker, Stinker,Shelob's Sneak
Birth: TA 2430

What the poo poo

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Old Swerdlow posted:

There’s a guy in my city who does history videos and whatnot of our local mall, the biggest mall in Canada.

https://youtube.com/@BestEdmontonMall
This is neat, thanks!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Andor is pretty good, making it easily the best piece of live-action starwars ever made.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Guy A. Person posted:

sometimes yndor

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

lunar detritus posted:

can't believe space cops would abuse their power, completely unrealistic, would never happen

Even in a universe of space wizards and angry extragalactic bug people, a random brown dude getting accosted by the cops still rings extremely true

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

One of the reasons "Andor epic owns some cops" is a bad sell is that they aren't even cops, they're corporate security guards on a company planet mad they didn't get enough attention at a bar who die by accident followed by desperation

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he looks like young Paul McCartney

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im just vaguely reminded of the bizarre number of people in the nintendo switch thread who refused to play Astral Chain because the protagonist was in the Anime Police

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Suppressing my gag reflex while playing noted copaganda piece Disco Elysium

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSw-4YjiiJU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't have any real interest in watching the Andor show. I think it's alright that they decided to do a mulligan on some the weak attempts to depict the ground-level struggle of the Rebellion from Rogue One, but I didn't even remember the guy's name from that movie until it became its own show. Feels a bit poo poo to pull him out and massage him into a better-rounded character and not do something similar for Jyn Erso when that movie did her character pretty dirty, too. But whatever, maybe Felicity Jones didn't want to come back.

I just don't expect it to be able to do much. It's set in a point of time where all the major beats of the Rebellion were already accomplished by movie characters. We know what the endpoint of his arc is. It doesn't feel like something that needs extrapolating on, like the Obi-Wan show. And any positive response to it will end up being carte blanche to turn later seasons into endless crossover/spinoff bait like how the Mandalorian got carved up after having a respectable first season where it was left alone to do its own thing.

It's freezing around here so this is apropos. And it's also insanely stupid, sexist, and racist. The perfect David Cage game.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wasn't going to watch andor but eventually gave it a shot thanks to word of mouth. I skipped mando season 2, Boba fett and obi wan.

It's definitely upper tier SW

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Merry Christmas thread, I'm glad the holiday has not gotten in the way of arguing about Star Wars. :)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Frod is a word in old english. Tolkien could not be stopped. Merry was chosen cause his full name, Kalimac, was shortened to Kali, and that meant joy. But Merry's his nickname. His full translated name is Meriadoc.

Oh yeah, I remember at one point Gandalf says the full names of the dynamic duo, Pippin and Meriadoc. Kind of horrifying that I can remember this poo poo but all the algebra I had to learn in school during that time was lost forever.

A Meriadoc Christmas, thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

Star Wars was always a product of competent mediocrity, it just used to be spaced out enough by time and distance to allow people to digest it before the next one hit, so the mediocrity was less impactful. Now it's coming at an assembly line pace, so the continuous mid-ness of it all is just tiring people out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For Christmas the thread's present is being half of a Vaudeville routine and I appreciates that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zerot posted:

I can imagine that, but I don't think I would come away from that experience thinking that the jokes couldn't be funny in the proper context. I would think those people are jerks.

Usually I interpret these kinds of "fandom ruins specific media" discussion as the person looking for an excuse as to why they don't want to engage with something. Even if that's not true, I don't know if it's possible to have an interesting discussion about some people who like a thing but are annoying about it that isn't just about cultivating your Twitter follows better or something.

There are so many things out there to watch or play or read or listen to that you can just say you aren't interested. I'm never going to watch Jaws and I don't need pretend that people saying the line about needing a bigger boat all the time is a factor in that.

Andor is really good tho

I'm not an idiot, man, I'm sure those jokes could potentially be funny. I was interested in Disco Elysium, I just didn't have money to purchase it... until people developed in me a Pavlovian response to images of how the conversations look! I know it's not rational, but now literally just seeing a conversation from that game irritates me mildly. This isn't from twitter, it's people in a Discord server I hang out with. It ended up with a specific channel for the game because people wouldn't quit pasting screenshots.

I don't know how to explain to you the idea that people being annoying can make you annoyed at the thing they are being annoying about. It's really simple psychology. I'd love to not be annoyed by it, because I was interested in playing it!

Come to think of it, I think you could have a conversation about how the internet just makes it really easy to be annoying about media. You can drown someone in gifs taken from a movie in the time it takes them to go to the bathroom. You can share a screenshot of a funny thing you just saw in game, and it takes so little time that your brain doesn't go "Hey, do they have the slightest chance of understanding this?"

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Maybe showing some Undertale fanworks will cure that.