Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s incredible the Qanon freaks are trying to make Tan Suit 2.0 happen

It will absolutely resonate for boomers, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
There's also the fun anti-Slavic tracksuit dogwhistle, so that's cool

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
war on christmas has begun

https://twitter.com/TobyCharleston/status/1606457270094667776?t=rp14WEcpF0aWsQCy8jPasg&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I like how the PAC-3 looks like it's going to tumble harmlessly into the ocean.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ugh yeah there was a big WaPo article last week about how many states are super backed up in processing claims and appeals because they have a small number of staff and it takes a long time for new underpaid folk to get up to speed.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I thought SS payments were going up the same as VA disability (8.7%). That announcement was made a few months ago, too.

Zamujasa posted:

Is SSDI the one that also limits you to having no more than $2000 to your name at any given point? because lol if so, that wouldn't even cover rent much less utilities

Since this is one of the very, very few areas in life I can say I'm an expert in, I'll give the basic rundown.

Social Security started in 1935 with the Social Security Act, signed by FDR. This is how the Social Security Number came about, and it literally had language in it designed to combat dystopian fears of totalitarianism by specifying that it could not be used as a national identity number. Which, it ended up being anyway by default.

The original intent of the benefit was this: you work, pay FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) taxes on your earnings, and create an earnings record that is tracked by SSA. When you reach retirement age (62 at the earliest- more on this later), you can file for a Social Security retirement benefit that's calculated based on the amount you paid into the system (more on the formula later). This means cash earnings, illegal earnings, or other income besides job earnings such as capital gains or investment income have no effect on the amount of Social Security you receive.

The formula is complex, but basically they index your earnings for inflation (so that making 10 grand in 1970 is fairly compared to your 30 grand today), take the 35 best years and plug them into a formula to come up with a basic monthly amount. That is the amount you'll get at your full retirement age (originally 65, then raised to 66, currently being stepped out to 67 and will probably go up again as money-saving measures from Congress). If you retire earlier (as early as age 62), you get less money. If you retire later (as late as age 70), you get more money. "Full retirement age" is a misleading term that SSA uses because it makes the math easier for the agency, not to help the claimants in any way.

So, what if you become hurt and can't work until age 62? That's where Social Security Disability (SSDI, the I is for Insurance) comes in. Disability is an earnings-based benefit- you have to have worked enough, and paid enough into the system to qualify. You also have to have enough recent work; it gets complex quick (and I can answer specific questions on that if necessary), but basically if you haven't worked in the last few years it might be too late to file for Disability. Combine this with the social stigma around disability benefits and a lot of hurt people either stagger on with barely any earnings, relying on family and friends, before finally going to file, then being told it's now too late.

SSDI is not short-term disability. It doesn't pay for broken bones or temporary recovery from car accidents. To qualify for SSDI, not only do you have to meet the non-medical requirements (earnings), but you must have your medical records evaluated by the state you live in, by an agency called the Disability Determination Service (DDS). Different states have different criteria, and different levels of funding. This is where the huge backlog in disability decisions come in. Pre-COVID, our DDS in Alabama was one of the best in the country, and they averaged 2-3 months. They're now at 6 months for starters.

If the medical records aren't enough to make a decision (common with homeless/transient folks, people too poor to ever see a doctor, or mentally ill people who can't keep track of their history), they will send them to a doctor to do a Consultative Examination (CE) and go by the results of the exam.

So if they've worked enough to qualify, and if they have been approved by DDS, it now takes a few weeks for one of SSA's centralized Payment Centers (7 across different regions of the country) to build the computer payment record. So now they get paid? Well, hold on a second. We've got one more layer of cruelty involved- the Disability waiting period.

You see, Congress believed (or at least used as an excuse) that everybody has 6 months of short-term disability coverage through their job, so if you became disabled, they assume you'll be covered by your short-term disability (STD, lol) for six months. So they made part of Social Security law that you have to be disabled for five full calendar months before you even get paid.

For example- Bob gets in a car accident May 15th. Because Bob lives in the real world and isn't related to a Congressman, he does not have short-term disability insurance. So he has to find ways to pay his bills until his disability entitlement starts (June, July, August, September, October are the waiting period) in November.

But wait- we pay a month behind! So his November entitlement means his first payment comes in December. His disability amount will be the same amount he would get if he retired at his full retirement age of 67. From as little as a few hundred bucks, up to (in very rare cases where they made so much money they don't need the check anyway) around 3 grand a month.

Is that all the cruelty in the system? Lol.

Example 2- Dave gets run over by a forklift on May 15th. Since Dave is also in the real world, he doesn't have STD (lol) coverage. But, since it happened at work, workman's comp at least covers him. So he files for disability, gets his first check in December like Bob. However, despite making as much money as Bob in his lifetime, his check is less. Why? Because disability benefits are offset, in an extremely complicated formula, by any money he's still getting in workman's compensation. Because we can't have someone coming out ahead by getting hurt! That'd be unfair!

Want more?

Example 3- John goes to the doctor on May 15th for a pulled muscle, and finds out he has Stage 4 cancer. He is going to continue working until he is too sick to work. He calls SSA to file for disability. Since he's still making more than $1,350 pre-tax per month in work, by our rules he's not disabled. Denied.

Example 4- John is now too sick to work. He calls us back his last day of work, July 15th. We happily take his disability claim, and set his onset date (the start of his disability per our rules) as the last day he worked over the limit (July 15th). We do one nice thing, which is for terminal cases DDS will put him to the front of the line for a decision, usually no more than a week or two. So he gets a decision back immediately.

Guess what? His 5 month waiting period isn't waived. We only do that for ALS cases. (Some Congressman's kid had ALS and they made that one, very specific exception. Not terminal cancer. Not quadriplegics. Not anything else. Just ALS.) So his waiting period is (August, September, October, November, December), his first entitlement is January, and his first payment is February. If he's still alive.

Tapped out yet? It gets better.

There's three ways to get covered by Medicare in this country.
1. Be 65 or older.
2. Be on Social Security Disability for 2 full calendar years.
3. Have End Stage Renal Disease (kidney failure- either dialysis or transplant). Again, some Congressman's kid had it and they became a crusader for that one thing to change the law.

So number two up there, do you think that's waived for John since his life expectancy is now 5? (4,3,2,1....) Nope. John has to live two years with stage 4 cancer before he gets Medicare coverage.

So let's circle back for a second:

Zamujasa posted:

Is SSDI the one that also limits you to having no more than $2000 to your name at any given point? because lol if so, that wouldn't even cover rent much less utilities

The answer is no. SSDI is earnings-based; at long as you have the earnings to cover you, and a disability that is medically approved, and aren't working over the limit, you get it.

You're thinking of SSI (Supplemental Security Income), the needs-based benefit paid to disabled people, essentially the federal welfare benefit. It is far, far worse, far, far more punitive, and far far more complicated. Since it's Christmas, I'll spare you for now.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I started working when I was 12; I worked 3 jobs at any given time through HS, then joined the military.

According to SSA, I basically made no money, and my disability would be under 1k a month.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

I started working when I was 12; I worked 3 jobs at any given time through HS, then joined the military.

According to SSA, I basically made no money, and my disability would be under 1k a month.

Yeah one additional tidbit on FICA taxes; under a normal employer (you get a W-2), you pay 7.65% up to around 140k per year, and the employer payes the other 7.65%.

If you're self-employed (on a 1099), you have to decide actually claim your income on your taxes and pay the full 15.3% on that amount for it to count. If you're struggling money-wise, how many people you think pick that option?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s incredible the Qanon freaks are trying to make Tan Suit 2.0 happen

At this point, they can gently caress themselves sideways with a rusty cactus. If they weren't piss bitching and moaning about him showing up in a work outfit they would have been faux-outraged about him showing up in a suit and wasting money. They'll vomit out some lovely talking point no matter what, there's no winning. The outrage machine will be outraged no matter what and I'm god drat sick and tired of giving the slight bit of a gently caress about whatever wolf the boy is crying about today.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Here's another Social Security tidbit- the Lump Sump Death Payment (LSDP), often erroneously called the burial benefit. This was a benefit for surviving spouses, minor children, or disabled adult children of a worker who died before retirement age. Essentially it was three times the amount they'd have gotten in full retirement benefits; back in the 1930s/1940s this usually ended up around $300 or so.

In 1954, the benefit was capped at $255, with no mechanism to raise it for inflation. Guess when the last time that cap was raised was?

Trick question. It was never raised. To this day, the amount paid to widows and kids is $255.

In 1981, as part of Reagan's vast haircut on Social Security (with which many Democrats, including Joe Biden, were gleefully complicit), they removed the ability of anyone covering funeral expenses for the deceased, such as a funeral home, to claim this amount.

$255. The amount is so low, that it costs us more to process the claim than the amount we actually pay. We don't even request proof you were married. It's not worth our time develop for it. We literally (by the rules) just take your allegation.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"the cruelty is the point"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GD_American posted:

Here's another Social Security tidbit- the Lump Sump Death Payment (LSDP), often erroneously called the burial benefit. This was a benefit for surviving spouses, minor children, or disabled adult children of a worker who died before retirement age. Essentially it was three times the amount they'd have gotten in full retirement benefits; back in the 1930s/1940s this usually ended up around $300 or so.

In 1954, the benefit was capped at $255, with no mechanism to raise it for inflation. Guess when the last time that cap was raised was?

Trick question. It was never raised. To this day, the amount paid to widows and kids is $255.

In 1981, as part of Reagan's vast haircut on Social Security (with which many Democrats, including Joe Biden, were gleefully complicit), they removed the ability of anyone covering funeral expenses for the deceased, such as a funeral home, to claim this amount.

$255. The amount is so low, that it costs us more to process the claim than the amount we actually pay. We don't even request proof you were married. It's not worth our time develop for it. We literally (by the rules) just take your allegation.

There is a time limit to apply, though- I want to say 30 days after the death, but it might be 90. I missed the deadline when my first wife died. I also found out I should have went to her disability hearing, because I would have received any back pay and spousal benefits.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Reading all this makes me angry.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

There is a time limit to apply, though- I want to say 30 days after the death, but it might be 90. I missed the deadline when my first wife died. I also found out I should have went to her disability hearing, because I would have received any back pay and spousal benefits.

For the LSDP- two years after death.

For monthly widow benefits (age 60+), no limit.

For disabled widow benefits (age 50+), must be disabled within 7 years of their death.

You sound like you’re talking about filing a continuance on a deceased person’s pending disability claim; it’s 60 days but there’s a good faith clause that allows for late filing with a supportable justification.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GD_American posted:

For the LSDP- two years after death.

For monthly widow benefits (age 60+), no limit.

For disabled widow benefits (age 50+), must be disabled within 7 years of their death.

You sound like you’re talking about filing a continuance on a deceased person’s pending disability claim; it’s 60 days but there’s a good faith clause that allows for late filing with a supportable justification.

Thank you for the correction. This was years ago, so it's moot now, but there is no one to tell you or guide you in this poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This is why, when I've had enough, I'm going to fly somewhere tropical, drink mai tais until I run out of money, then walk into the ocean and keep loving going, never to be seen again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like how the PAC-3 looks like it's going to tumble harmlessly into the ocean.

"Efforts were made"

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
For my wife it’s been 2 years to get the denial. She’s had 2 CEs so far. We’re waiting for the letter to show up to formally appeal and finally getting in front of a judge. This is in FL and I really hate the people running the show here.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well that's implied in the Florida

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This is horrifying, but I always appreciate these moments where we breach a seemingly niche topic and someone comes out of the crawl space and does a proper "well, actually."

e: Speaking of things: The bridge that collapsed in Pittsburgh last year re-opened yesterday.

https://www.wtae.com/article/fern-hollow-bridge-officially-reopens-to-traffic/42320889

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 25, 2022

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

At this point, they can gently caress themselves sideways with a rusty cactus. If they weren't piss bitching and moaning about him showing up in a work outfit they would have been faux-outraged about him showing up in a suit and wasting money. They'll vomit out some lovely talking point no matter what, there's no winning. The outrage machine will be outraged no matter what and I'm god drat sick and tired of giving the slight bit of a gently caress about whatever wolf the boy is crying about today.

Completely agree. I cannot wrap my head around the fact that these morons have any kind of platform. I remember a time when we as a country ignored fools. These dickheads are nothing but fools.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Merry Christmas guys

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Completely agree. I cannot wrap my head around the fact that these morons have any kind of platform. I remember a time when we as a country ignored fools. These dickheads are nothing but fools.

What time was that? Our history is full of platformed fools.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

What time was that? Our history is full of platformed fools.

That's true but I think it's become a lot worse since the advent of 24 hour news and social media. Jackasses who might have received fifteen minutes of fame in the early 1980s have a great deal of staying power these days.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Merry Christmas guys

You also.

I hope everyone is doing something they enjoy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nystral posted:

For my wife it’s been 2 years to get the denial. She’s had 2 CEs so far. We’re waiting for the letter to show up to formally appeal and finally getting in front of a judge. This is in FL and I really hate the people running the show here.

Is this at the reconsideration level? Because even with our horrific timelines that’s excessive.

Usually at that point I start recommending Congressmen, but you have two Senators who are not only terrible chuds but also are pretty infamous for giving zero shits about constituent services.

If you have an attorney rep, I’d be burning their phone line down. At some point DDS should consider you the squeaky wheel and give a decision just to get rid of you.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thank you for the correction. This was years ago, so it's moot now, but there is no one to tell you or guide you in this poo poo.

I know it’s too late to help you, but I’m here in the future if anyone needs answers about the process.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Embarrassing, even for him.

https://twitter.com/timcast/status/1606765446358786048?s=46&t=TWjvOGXOVnpvKTZEHUdQrQ

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

You've heard of Elf on the Shelf? Well get ready for Tim Pool is a Tool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zamujasa posted:

"the cruelty is the point"

And there's more.

https://twitter.com/TraceyDelaney/status/1606897638112169984?s=20&t=-Lfave2uUkAu6b9avJ4vGw

Real big 'missing the spirit of christmas' vibe here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That “home” was a rarely used unmanned gate at the USNO.

She most likely never saw them or was notified until after they were taken away the the church.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wow can't wait to see the consequences Abbott faces such as, I dunno what's the extent of what's allowed, a Dem Congress member saying they're a bad person?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

Wow can't wait to see the consequences Abbott faces such as, I dunno what's the extent of what's allowed, a Dem Congress member saying they're a bad person?

If someone just wants to keep slamming their dick in a door who are you to stop them

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm not sure I would agree this is them slamming their dick in the door when it accomplishes their political aims and, based on what we saw with De Santis, won't result in anything happening

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It gets a bunch of New Americans out of shithole states like Florida and Texas, so there's that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stealie72 posted:

It gets a bunch of New Americans out of shithole states like Florida and Texas, so there's that.

:lol: “New Americans” :lol:

I think you meant to say forever coerced bottom castes for the Money Machine. A lot fewer than you think will ever see citizenship. But a good deal of these poor souls will still be playing the game in America and never get to be citizens.

It’s really hosed.

Capitalism needs some serious fine tuning or an overhaul. Bad. Will the next recession be the catalyst? Probably not. But there’s always an infinitely small non zero chance.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

GD_American posted:

Is this at the reconsideration level? Because even with our horrific timelines that’s excessive.

Usually at that point I start recommending Congressmen, but you have two Senators who are not only terrible chuds but also are pretty infamous for giving zero shits about constituent services.

If you have an attorney rep, I’d be burning their phone line down. At some point DDS should consider you the squeaky wheel and give a decision just to get rid of you.

I know it’s too late to help you, but I’m here in the future if anyone needs answers about the process.

From what I can puzzle out, the DDS rep changed and / or lost the paperwork so we had to resubmit everything. Was frustrating but COVID and all.

The decision for denial turned Scleroderma into a “skin condition” which was infuriating. And glossed over her Pulmonary Fibrosis entirely. The two biggest issues impacting her ability to work and function as an adult.

We’re awaiting assignment to a judge and have our attorney prepping the paperwork how the various judges prefer it. Just kind of over it, but the FL DDS office is a poo poo show and I hate it.

My congresscritter shifted from a democrat to one of the freedom caucus crazies. Thanks Ron you fuckman, running for president won’t even force you to resign as governor because you strongarmed that law change.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Eej posted:

The view count poo poo is pure brain poison and shouldn't exist, it will literally worsen the mental health of people already too online on twitter

The one saving grace is it's so transparently hosed up and false that I have a hard time believing anyone sees it as anything but annoying trash that's in the way.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nystral posted:

From what I can puzzle out, the DDS rep changed and / or lost the paperwork so we had to resubmit everything. Was frustrating but COVID and all.

The decision for denial turned Scleroderma into a “skin condition” which was infuriating. And glossed over her Pulmonary Fibrosis entirely. The two biggest issues impacting her ability to work and function as an adult.

We’re awaiting assignment to a judge and have our attorney prepping the paperwork how the various judges prefer it. Just kind of over it, but the FL DDS office is a poo poo show and I hate it.

My congresscritter shifted from a democrat to one of the freedom caucus crazies. Thanks Ron you fuckman, running for president won’t even force you to resign as governor because you strongarmed that law change.

If it’s at the hearing level then it’s out of DDS hands entirely, and in SSA’s hearing component. At that point, you’re purely on the waiting list, and reliant on how far behind that particular hearings office is.

Btw, approval rates vary tremendously by office and even by judge. Shopping for more agreeable offices is not unheard of.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

lightpole posted:

If someone just wants to keep slamming their dick in a door who are you to stop them

not calling you out but these are human beings

they ran from hosed up poo poo in their home country and now they are being used as political pawns

gently caress greg abbot

merry loving christmas

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wouldn’t it make marginally more sense to ship them to Harris’ mansion in California?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Wouldn’t it make marginally more sense to ship them to Harris’ mansion in California?

It scores a few more points to own the libs in dc but I imagine owning the libs in California is almost as good and cheaper bus charters too.