Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

actionjackson posted:

every so often i get this little magazine in the mail from the college within the U of Minn. that I graduated from

look at this stupid poo poo

"We don't just want to make the car smart - we also want to make the infrastructure smart by using advanced network communication technologies such as 5G and edge computing"

"Think of it as air traffic control, but for self-driving vehicles. Zhang's team will develop new models and algorithms to move us closer to edge-assisted intelligent driving systems. Unlike the larger-scale cloud computing, edge computing puts the data closer to the location where it's being generated, at the "edge" of the network.

The only way self driving makes sense is if all the cars are in some sort of meshed network and communicating everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

500excf type r posted:

The only way self driving makes sense is if all the cars are in some sort of meshed network and communicating everything

If we get down to it, the main two things that are bad about cars are that people are driving them and owning them personally. Making cars communal and self driving would solve a lot of problems.

Not all of them of course, you still have laughable city planning, and you'd introduce Algorithm Controlled Killing Machines, which couldn't possibly backfire.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Greg12 posted:

I assume Sim City came from someone seeing traffic demand modeling and thinking, "yeah that's a game"

simcity has its own assortment of problems, but what you're describing here is Cities: Skylines

it's a traffic simulator dressed up as an city manager

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/angryseattle/status/1606352829668790272?s=20&t=yhaGHoajy6TMIZxMm1mKkg

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMjUbMFdF0

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

eXXon posted:

I was going to get that game until I saw a review that said people won't transfer between modes of transport and the only workaround is a checkbox to force buses to dump all their passengers at a single train station, which seems... not great.

It's fiddly, but not that fiddly. Transfers work fine, but up until recently there was no way to transfer at a single station.

IIRC, as a simplified logic flow:
* Pop is "generated" (not quite the right term, unlike Sims they have permanent health/education/etc stats) at a source building.
* Pop looks at their source building's job assignments, and goes to one of these if employment is available there.
* If there are no player-specified assignments, pop goes to any job-providing building within walking distance.
* Transit stations count as a job if any route that stops there has a valid job on any of its stops.
* If taking transit, the pop repeats this logic from the destination stop.
* If more than n hours spent without reaching a job, despawn and respawn at home the next day with an unemployment malus to their mood.

So you could have someone spawn at Flats A and either walk to Factory A or Bus Stop A.
If they went to Bus Stop A and got on a bus with stops at Bus Stop B (with Factory B and Train Station A) and Bus Stop C (with Factory C), they would get off at Bus Stop B if there was work at either Factory B or somewhere on the train network, or if there wasn't wait for Bus Stop C and Factory C.
But if they went to Bus Stop A that only was point-to-point with Bus Stop B, they would get off at Bus Stop B, and despawn angry if Factory B or the trains didn't lead to work. Even if there was a separate point-to-point route between Bus Stop B and Bus Stop C, because when they were (re-)emitted from Bus Stop B they would not look again at Bus Stop B for work.
Thus, the trick was, for point-to-points, to have a placeholder "central station" at the convergence of point-to-point lines that had no actual scheduled service, and simply had no specific job assignments so everyone taking a point-to-point line in could be told "go work there, or find somewhere else in walking distance if it's full", get to the placeholder, be told "go find work somewhere else in walking distance", and then the logic to walk back to Bus Stop B and take the bus to Stop C would kick in.

I believe the job search logic was recently tweaked to allow finding a job at the same building you left from.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

lmao look at all the elon asseaters in the comments, unreal

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://youtube.com/shorts/e5Ajq7fzBIA?feature=share

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I was feeling pedantic and sat at the nearest stop sign for five minutes. The results might not surprise you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmv59bsgEfE

I just get tired of hearing drivers complain about pedestrians and cyclists not following the rules that were made for drivers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat, sick graphics on this new Driver game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hubbert posted:

simcity has its own assortment of problems, but what you're describing here is Cities: Skylines

it's a traffic simulator dressed up as an city manager

Roller coaster tycoon has better public transportation than cities skylines

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are roller coasters still the safest form of transportation per kilometer travelled?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not mine

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bullshit my guests weren't riding my monorail to get around the park, they were treating it like any other ride and actually it kind of made them upset

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Was in a car for two hours and then two hours again yesterday. Drivers are psychos.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BonHair posted:

If we get down to it, the main two things that are bad about cars are that people are driving them and owning them personally.

No

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

CopperHound posted:

I was feeling pedantic and sat at the nearest stop sign for five minutes. The results might not surprise you.

I just get tired of hearing drivers complain about pedestrians and cyclists not following the rules that were made for drivers.

You changed the result my measuring it!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BonHair posted:

If we get down to it, the main two things that are bad about cars are that people are driving them and owning them personally. Making cars communal and self driving would solve a lot of problems.

Not all of them of course, you still have laughable city planning, and you'd introduce Algorithm Controlled Killing Machines, which couldn't possibly backfire.

Consider: Both bicycles and cars are owned and driven personally, yet one is good and the other is bad.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

genericnick posted:

Consider: Both bicycles and cars are owned and driven personally, yet one is good and the other is bad.

Not really disagreeing, but have you ever tried rush hour bike traffic in Copenhagen? Bikes aren't all good either, although obviously better than cars.

App rental bike riders are the second worst though, right after tourists.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BonHair posted:

Not really disagreeing, but have you ever tried rush hour bike traffic in Copenhagen? Bikes aren't all good either, although obviously better than cars.

App rental bike riders are the second worst though, right after tourists.

Dutch bicyclists are mean and rude to pedestrians. Dutch pedestrians are like this also, however.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

CopperHound posted:

I will continue to treat stop signs as yield signs while cycling until such time as drivers start treating my bike like a real vehicle and not an inconvenience possibly worth driving over to get to Pilates thirty seconds earlier.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I love how calm the tram drivers are after each collission with a moron :allears:

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1606629733265035266

E: have a bonus meme

Martian has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Dec 24, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pedestrians in my neighborhood are super hostile to bikers cause they get surprised by them going through reds since they have car brain as walkers. bikes dont follow traffic rules therefore bikes are trying to kill everyone etc.

when im walking i know that a walk signal aint no guarantee of safety now that ive been near missed by delivery bikes a few times in the crosswalk so i just look extra hard.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

pedestrians in my neighborhood are super hostile to bikers cause they get surprised by them going through reds since they have car brain as walkers. bikes dont follow traffic rules therefore bikes are trying to kill everyone etc.

when im walking i know that a walk signal aint no guarantee of safety now that ive been near missed by delivery bikes a few times in the crosswalk so i just look extra hard.

it is the bikers who have car brain because they’re forced to share with cars and learn stupid car laws. they should also stay off the sidewalk cause they can’t help themselves from being lovely to pedestrians.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Martian posted:

I love how calm the tram drivers are after each collission with a moron :allears:

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1606629733265035266

I love how Free Bird is coming back.

https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1607055092787576832

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My favorite part is how the trash cans have already been crashed around a few times before this video.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

it is the bikers who have car brain because they’re forced to share with cars and learn stupid car laws.
"When education urban design is not liberating, the dream of the oppressed is to become the oppressor"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
too bad you can't paint kill markers of cars on trains and trams

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

it is the bikers who have car brain because they’re forced to share with cars and learn stupid car laws. they should also stay off the sidewalk cause they can’t help themselves from being lovely to pedestrians.

bikers where I live are refusing to use the new bike lines that the local council installed because they are used to riding 3 to 4 abreast and they think it's unfair that they are expected to ride in single file

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mawarannahr posted:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

bikers where I live are refusing to use the new bike lines that the local council installed because they are used to riding 3 to 4 abreast and they think it's unfair that they are expected to ride in single file
Post a picture of the bike lanes so I can call you an idiot.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sounds like a good time, biking with your pals, chatting and making the roadway safer for everyone because cars can't scream past you as fast as they dare

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

post the cycle lane

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

it is unfair. by that measure you can have like 8 bikes on a typical road (especially without parking). the only reasons they gotta be single file is because politicians love cars and sucking them off.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

distortion park posted:

post the cycle lane

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Forcing cyclists to ride single file is bad, if nothing else because that means you can't pass the fat middle manager who bought all the gear but doesn't go above 10 kmh

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BonHair posted:

Forcing cyclists to ride single file is bad, if nothing else because that means you can't pass the fat middle manager who bought all the gear but doesn't go above 10 kmh

excuse you, I haven't "bought all the gear"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the urban tour de france spandex outfit bike gear dad type guys in the park try and fight you if you make them slow down for crossings, heavy casual bike traffic, etc. i think they are only in the hobby to get into white guy rage mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

distortion park posted:

post the cycle lane