Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

I'm at the same point. It doesn't help that this is the first mission where you're outclassed level wise. I need to decided whether to go back for wade 1 so I can get juggernaut/hoplight marks and I've never even seen these classes before.

They’re demihuman classes, lizardman and umbral orc-guy specifically, so you might’ve fought some and just not realized it. Hoplite’s a tank and Juggernaut’s a high mobility warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
juggernaut is what happens when you just smash a berserker and ninja together and make them special hate spellcasters. the only thing that hits harder than my juggernaut in my current file is a beastslayer/dragonslayer. they own. shame there's no named lizard, would love to have one.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
welp, it finally happened. The game crashed at a bad time: in between phases against Dorgalua. As if I wasn't already questioning if I have what I need to face him (at the cost of having to do Hanging Gardens again), now I've got to fight through phase one again, to see how I do on phase two.

EDIT: second first try succeeded first first try doesn't count because crash. Though Olivya not appearing in the coronation scene had me scared. I guess she is following Denam around (based on the next scene), but who is the generic enchantress standing with Cerya, Cistina, and Sherri?

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 24, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

doomfunk posted:

juggernaut is what happens when you just smash a berserker and ninja together and make them special hate spellcasters. the only thing that hits harder than my juggernaut in my current file is a beastslayer/dragonslayer. they own. shame there's no named lizard, would love to have one.

Yeah I probably undersold them, I grabbed a generic lizardman and reclassed him with some fists and by god does he love punching massive holes in people, especially since he has a fire affinity that matches the fist finisher. If anything their only flaw seems to be that iirc their skills/passives are kinda underwhelming compared to an actual berserker but 5 move and good attack is still a good deal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

doomfunk posted:

:agreed: Game definitely needed some unique non-human characters. They have that cool modulation hiss effect the very few times they talk too.

Juggernauts are real good. They are also the only source of the intimidation passive for a long time, especially depending on what route you take and depending on whether or not you world back to clear other routes.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Are there still hidden items on the field, under burnable grass and whatnot? Anything worth seeking out?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mortimer Knag posted:

Are there still hidden items on the field, under burnable grass and whatnot? Anything worth seeking out?

It can produce those booster type cards. There's worse uses of turn 1 than burning grass or attacking destructible environments near your starting position to get those

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mortimer Knag posted:

Yeah the tiles are the same as the PSP version. Nothing under grass so far though

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Only thing that might be worth seeking out is magic leaves.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I found a few in St Bronsa but iirc you can get a fair few as mission rewards at the beginning of the game, just CHARIOT back.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I don't know, it seems the game tracks which rewards you have earned and replaces non-XP rewards with copper oberyths if you repeat a battle. The only exception to this seems to be the repeatable dungeons.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Neurion posted:

I don't know, it seems the game tracks which rewards you have earned and replaces non-XP rewards with copper oberyths if you repeat a battle. The only exception to this seems to be the repeatable dungeons.

Yeah, only PotD and San Bronsa repeat charm rewards. Even the CODA maps, the good rewards get replaced if you WORLD back and redo them. Make sure you don't have a Ring of the Dead before you do CODA 3 for that reason - you can only hold one. If you finish CODA 3 with one in your inventory, the reward Ring gets converted to goth and next time it's just Oberyths.

I suppose that only really matters if you want 2 liches though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Neurion posted:

When I redid a few of the Ch 1 battles for Felicia, I got magic leaves out of them as drops from enemy mages. They just don't get enough time to use them before Arycelle and Sara put them down.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Finally! After blundering my way through my first Chapter 4 playthrough,, I have finally recruited 3 really good units I missed (and rescued Vyce from purgatory. Also....oops! I forgot to get Sherri this time around).

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Does anyone know if the racial/class affinity bonus for certain weapon types still exists?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mortimer Knag posted:

Does anyone know if the racial/class affinity bonus for certain weapon types still exists?
Like the special animations from the old version? Gone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I normally love TTRPGs and I've played a bunch but there's something about this that's not clicking.
I'm 16 hours in (I'm sure quite a bit of that is idle, so say like 11?) and I feel like I've barely seen any new classes. I didn't actually realise there's no promotion or like...skill carry on so levelling some classes feels sorta pointless, I'm too used to that from other games made later. I don't like the recruit mechanic - I hate having to leave units alive and chasing them around trying to recruit them - and I feel like ALL of my story battles are just me doing a boss rush because someone's got knocked over and I have to get the enemy killed before they die. God I wish I could turn that off and just let them die and be fine next fight, I hate having to constantly rewind/rush because of it.

I also feel like there's SO SO SO many contextless battles. Just constantly in fights where the first 3/4 turns are everyone moving to be in position.

Also I know they're an addition to this version of the game but man I hate the little cards. It's so messy, why the hell would you add them?!

I guess what I'm saying here is it going to change? Do I actually HAVE to do recruit or can I ignore it? I think I'm going to abandon the game soon if I can't, which sucks because it was £30 which is a shitload of money

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 25, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you never need to use the recruit skills, no. there's a late-game optional character whose quest has a further optional component that requires recruiting 9 assorted monsters. but this only unlocks her unique class, which isn't really very good in this version.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you never need to use the recruit skills, no. there's a late-game optional character whose quest has a further optional component that requires recruiting 9 assorted monsters. but this only unlocks her unique class, which isn't really very good in this version.

But if I don't, do I miss out? Like if I never recruit will I get another bird man, will I get a lizard?
I'm not saying "can I win without it" more "Do I get to use these things without it"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are two gryphons you can get via a sidequest. otherwise, you will never get monsters, lizards, undead, birdmen, faeries, orcs, divine knights or umbra, no. but you don't actually need any of them, and if you change your mind you can always go find some to recruit at any time. there are more than enough story and optional sidequest characters to fill your party, and also you can recruit more humans at any time from the shop.

dragons and monsters are useful for a while but fall off later. faeries have a single niche use. lizards have a good melee class but there is never a shortage of those. but it's all optional and never mandatory.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Trying to do a no Incap run and it is hell. I'm having difficulty with Hector and I can only imagine things getting worse after that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but really, if you don't like the battles in general there's really not much reason to play this game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

there are two gryphons you can get via a sidequest. otherwise, you will never get monsters, lizards, undead, birdmen, faeries, orcs, divine knights or umbra, no. but you don't actually need any of them, and if you change your mind you can always go find some to recruit at any time. there are more than enough story and optional sidequest characters to fill your party, and also you can recruit more humans at any time from the shop.

Yea that really sucks then, I'm done. The recruit mechanic is really horrible and I honestly never expected a game to have that in.
I think it's less not LIKING them, just that there's so many and they feel very samey. My battles need story context or for me to feel like I'm growing and man the level cap thing means so many just end and nothing's changed. Like I just did a fight against a ninja and I got no levels from it. No extra story or anything

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 25, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah in my original run of this game on the PSP version I used the Recruit skill exactly never. The characters you get from the plot are plenty.

If that’s not your cup of tea nbd tho. It is what it is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've played games where some major system was locked behind a mechanic i found tedious, yeah. it doesn't even matter that i rarely go all-in on completionism. it's still off-putting and makes me lose interest. i use cheats to bypass this sort of thing when possible, though! this is also an option for this game, where you can auto-succeed with recruiting via cheat engine.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

but really, if you don't like the battles in general there's really not much reason to play this game.

Yeah if you don't like the Tactics, well, there's not many Ogres in the game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I feel like they're all very similar and the character sprites and personalities don't carry it in the way say Fire Emblem or even Triangle Strategy's ones do.
It's just another battle against the same sprites doing the same things and...eh. And I don't even level up!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Ngl I’m mostly in it for the storyline of bloody internecine ethnic strife and warcrimes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Taear posted:

I feel like they're all very similar and the character sprites and personalities don't carry it in the way say Fire Emblem or even Triangle Strategy's ones do.
It's just another battle against the same sprites doing the same things and...eh. And I don't even level up!

It's strange to compare this to Triangle Strategy because while TS has leveling it is far less important than it is in this game. Here levels actually impact what skills you have while TS gates all your skills behind materials that you can't even farm. Yeah, you can gain exp with a character who is at the current "max level" in TS but the exp gain slows to a crawl, and is almost a non-factor with many of the characters because their utility is independent of their level. Here being 3-5 levels down from an enemy is going to give you a pretty noticeable damage difference.

It is weird that your levels are gated to specific story milestones but the only thing it really affects is people that want to jump the content line to hit high level content earlier.

It is a fair complaint that the sprites don't stand out a lot, they definitely nailed the uniqueness better in FFT, but I always found FE's character design fairly generic, and TS was made 25 years after this game came out so I don't really know what to tell you. It definitely gets better but again this is something I think they started here and really nailed with FFT.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Triangle Strategy's sprites also have the advantage of characters having fixed classes, so they can be fully customized for each individual character and have integrated weapons (since characters only ever have one weapon type). And as others said, it was also made like 25 years later, while Tactics Ogre Reborn is a revamp of a 12-year-old remake of a 27-year-old SNES game, in a series that hasn't had a truly new entry since the GBA.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mechanically I think this is probably my favorite version, even above One Vision. I really like the stripped-down character building, the actually sane leveling system, the handful of QOL improvements, and even the buff cards (I know that's controversial but I really like them as a momentum mechanic). To be fair though I dislike the PSP leveling mechanic enough that it'd be hard for any version of the PSP game to top a version where characters just gain levels normally.

The major thing I'd want to see changed in a hypothetical mod--aside from the mechanics that may or may not be non-functional, which I'm still hoping a patch might fix--would be auto-skills. I think there are too many, and some skills just don't feel good as auto-skills. Some work great; I like the Instills being auto, and the Ninja debuffs, Meditate, Velocity Shift, even Berserk is pretty fun as an auto-skill.

But a handful of skills I think feel really bad as auto-skills and would feel much better if they were just activated skills that cost MP. I'd especially like to see Mother's Blessing become an activated skill so it's just "Clerics can spend more MP to heal more," and I think a skill like Phalanx would be really tactically interesting if it was activated instead of RNG (especially if it had a high enough MP cost that you couldn't activate it every turn and needed to use it tactically). Maybe Gordian Lock could stay auto because of the existence of Gordian Key, and as a way to differentiate it from Phalanx.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 25, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the union level system is far from perfect, but it works. individual class levels absolutely did not work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

the union level system is far from perfect, but it works. individual class levels absolutely did not work.

Yeah exactly. I don’t really mind union level really, but the class levels were… awkward.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
I'm a fan of the cards overall, although the bosses that start with 4 of them can feel a bit cruel at times. They don't spawn fast enough or in large enough numbers to rely on particular units getting particular cards, and that leads to me using units differently depending on what they do manage to get. Sometimes Canopus has MP cards and is just spamming the sleep/charm finishers, other times he gets phys/crit cards and he's one-shotting squishy targets. Sometimes I get mainly offensive cards and play very risky to nuke the boss with a few beefed up finishers, and other times my cleric snags a few autoskill cards and I can play relaxed knowing I'll win any battle of attrition. It adds some variety to battles that might otherwise play out the same.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I think that they made some interesting gameplay decisions that ended up decoupling most of the mechanical incentives from the main story.

Want to level up? Wait for the cap to go up and then run training on AI mode. Want to get a cool new class? Go to one of the bonus dungeons and recruit/item hunt. Want your best fighters to gain move + or add a powerful status to their attack? Go in the shop and fiddle with the crafting system.

Want to hear the actual game story? Go play the story missions.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

JTDistortion posted:

I'm a fan of the cards overall, although the bosses that start with 4 of them can feel a bit cruel at times. They don't spawn fast enough or in large enough numbers to rely on particular units getting particular cards, and that leads to me using units differently depending on what they do manage to get. Sometimes Canopus has MP cards and is just spamming the sleep/charm finishers, other times he gets phys/crit cards and he's one-shotting squishy targets. Sometimes I get mainly offensive cards and play very risky to nuke the boss with a few beefed up finishers, and other times my cleric snags a few autoskill cards and I can play relaxed knowing I'll win any battle of attrition. It adds some variety to battles that might otherwise play out the same.

Card system was good in that it could help the AI hit harder which made fights more challenging, added incentives for moving units into more dangerous spots or deeper into enemy lines, and provided some dynamic decisions on the board.

If there was one thing about TO:Reborn that I'd keep it would be the card system. You could do a whole game based on having the cards be crazy powerful effects and then having classes gain abilities, manipulate their locations, etc.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
My biggest complaint with the buff cards, again, is that they didn't stick to the tarot theme and make them more obviously the Minor Arcana.

Avoidance being broken and making status effects and skills that interact with accuracy worthless also kinda bites, but more for making so many skills and effects pointless. I'm actually okay with all attacks being virtually guaranteed to hit, it just needs those skills to be tweaked to actually do something else somehow. Probably way easier to fix avoidance, though!

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I unlocked palace of the dead and did a couple floors. Should I keep going to the store now or should I wait til later into the game when it unlocks more stuff?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

IthilionTheBrave posted:

My biggest complaint with the buff cards, again, is that they didn't stick to the tarot theme and make them more obviously the Minor Arcana.

Avoidance being broken and making status effects and skills that interact with accuracy worthless also kinda bites, but more for making so many skills and effects pointless. I'm actually okay with all attacks being virtually guaranteed to hit, it just needs those skills to be tweaked to actually do something else somehow. Probably way easier to fix avoidance, though!

I'm actually ok with the 100% to hit because misses definitely drags missions on longer than they need to with the current health pool - I do wish they got rid of the stat entirely if it was going to be useless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Grundma posted:

I unlocked palace of the dead and did a couple floors. Should I keep going to the store now or should I wait til later into the game when it unlocks more stuff?

wait until after the Heim battle when the shops get their final update.