Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHD91sQUOk

Welcome to Tactics Ogre Reborn -

TOR is a Remake of a Remake of a Port of the original 1995 SNES cult classic "Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together" developed by Quest Corporation. The remake is scheduled for 11/11/22, and releases for PS4/5/Switch/PC.

Directed and Designed by Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy 12, & Crimson Shroud, he also did some work for FF14 in Stormblood and Shadowbringers) and team, the story of Tactics Ogre Reborn focuses on an Island known as the Valerian Isles.

FEATURES

Tactics Ogre: Reborn Features

- Your choices affect how the story unfolds, and even how it ends, with a game system that allows for multiple paths through the game and multiple endings. The story takes place through the eyes of a young man named Denam. The decisions he makes will alter the fate of those around him, and shift the course of Valeria's history.

- Fight pitched tactical battles on three-dimensional battlefields. The completely revamped AI enables enemies to adapt their tactics to the situation, providing a battle system that always keeps you thinking and never grows old.

- The class-wide level management system used in Tactics Ogre (2010) has changed to a unit-by-unit level system. Theorycraft your way through endless combinations of classes, equipment, skills, and magic.

- Enjoy numerous playability improvements, such as a quicker pace of battle, auto save, and a complete overhaul to the controls and UI to make it easier to get into the game than ever.

- The unparalleled details of the characters and backgrounds from the original Tactics Ogre (1995) have been recreated in high definition, while the detailed pixel art that gives the game its unique feel has been preserved and enhanced.

- The cutscenes are fully voiced in English and Japanese, and all of the music has been rerecorded with live performances! The voices bring new life to the complex motivations of the characters that make up the factions and shifting political alliances of this epic story.

- Enjoy a wealth of endgame content such as the 100-level Palace of the Dead. A world of endless stories and intrigue awaits!

STORY

The Valerian Isles, jewels of the Obero Sea. Long a center of naval commerce, the people of the isles struggled throughout history for dominion over her shores.
Finally there rose a man to put an end to this conflict: Dorgalua Oberyth. But history would know him as the "Dynast-King." King Dorgalua strove to stamp out the hatred among the people of the isles, and for fully half a century, Valeria knew prosperity.

Yet upon the king's death, civil war erupted anew as three factions vied for control: the Bakram, who comprised much of Valeria's nobility; the Galgastani, whose people made up the majority of the isles' population; and the Walister, who numbered but few.

The isles were soon divided between the Bakram and Galgastani, and an uneasy peace settled across the land. Yet none believed the calm would last...

CHARACTERS

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1555237161481281537?s=20&t=icAkMeHT-CJKZGacSpzV8g

The Protagonist of the title, Denim, Levi, Denam Pavel is in his late teens at the stories start and a member of the Walister resistance, a minority of the isles and persecuted by all parties, he yearns for true equality for his persecuted people.

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1555614638737223680?s=20&t=icAkMeHT-CJKZGacSpzV8g

Catiua Pavel is Denam's sister, a Cleric by trade and a healer, she is fiercely protective of her brother due to the loss of her father.

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1555969464247545856?s=20&t=icAkMeHT-CJKZGacSpzV8g

Vyce Bozeck is the best friend of Denam with severe anger issues - where Denam yearns for justice, Vyce yearns for revenge.

GAMEPLAY

If you've ever played an SRPG you'll have a good idea of how this plays already

If you've never played an SRPG before, the game is played on a large scale grid, with each unit fighting it out on a turn based order, taking up positions, holding choke points, and performing actions

This game is the progenitor of FFT and its influence is felt all throughout the genre

It is a larger scale game than most of its kin - most SRPGs lock down the field of combatants to a handful, whereas on the protagonists side you can field up to 12 units - sometimes more as the story dictates - leading to very large scale battles of up to 30 units.

Asides from the usual human style classes (for which there are a lot) - the game is riddled with beast classes, humanoid classes, secret classes, and undead classes.

Units can be charmed and brought to your side and in some cases those units have hardier or more specialized classes than your units can ordinarily obtain.

Even when you reach the end of the story, there are more mysteries for you to dig into via end game dungeons that serve as an epilogue to the story, dig deep enough and who knows what may happen.

CONCLUSION

Game's great, play it on release.

=============================
POST RELEASE RESOURCES

Weapon Skills Guide
Post Game Drop Locations

tithin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The return of Punished "Venom" Denam

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Day 1 purchase, even if I'm kinda bummed they're completely axing class levels instead of fixing the problem with it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hope the per-character leveling still respects players' time. Special named playable characters in the PSP Let Us Cling Together still started with their own skill point budget which meant that it was as much of a struggle to get them up to speed as individuals, not to mention their classes

Also, this remake ought to have had a Queen subtitle again, like "The Show Must Go On" or "Who Wants to Live Forever"

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 7, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

Day 1 purchase, even if I'm kinda bummed they're completely axing class levels instead of fixing the problem with it.

I thought axing class levels was solving the problem with them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hunt11 posted:

Me too. I simply thought that they hadn't yet told us enough to understand the new system.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
TO PSX was an all time favorite of mine. Very psyched for this.

Also:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Who approved that dialogue font

It's not, like, objectively terrible, but it absolutely does not fit the vibe the game seems to be going for.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I mean, you could just actually make class levels not jank, like the main problems in the PSP port are:
- every class starts at level 1
- experience yield is nowhere near balanced enough to quickly catch up
- equipment is level gated
- there’s still per-character building stuff with SP that makes it hard to just grab a new guy and make him a terror knight even after he’s leveled or whatever even though that was the idea as advertised
- SP yield is terrible so it’s hard for new units to ever properly catch up

And really you could fix most of those things pretty easily just by putting in a nonzero amount of effort like the PSP port did, it’s not like class levels are a fundamentally terrible idea. But it’s probably easier to have a normal system. :shrug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cattail Prophet posted:

Who approved that dialogue font

It's not, like, objectively terrible, but it absolutely does not fit the vibe the game seems to be going for.

It’s a very similar font to what was used in the PSP remake. It’s definitely reminiscent of Western comics but it seems like that was intentional, and it wouldn’t be intentional without the approval of the original creators.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Why can't they just make it so that characters that join the party do so at the average level of the rest of the group? That seems a simple and elegant solution that respects the player's time.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It’s a very similar font to what was used in the PSP remake.

I'm glad that you said this, because I was thinking it. I've only played the PSP version, so I have no frame of reference to previous versions, but when someone slagged it off all I could think was 'It looks just like the PSP version, though...'

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I first saw TO in a Nintendo Power and was annoyed that it never came out. Then a few years later I was in a Funcoland looking at games and saw the PSX version of Tactics Ogre, realized immediately what it was, bought it, and lost countless hours of my life playing it. Looking forward to ignoring friends and family both IRL and in game as I play this again.

Tempted to get this on the Switch for portability but probably going to get it on PC for better performance and mods (and portability if I ever buy a Steam deck).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any summary of changes besides removing levels?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ground floor baby.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

This thread will contain crimes against humanity other than my postings.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hope this game sells gangbusters so we can also get a remake of Knight of Lodis / ports of 64. I never got into Cling Together as much due to not owning the systems it was constantly put on and I grew up with the GBA game instead, which I still love dearly. Looking forward to how this one compares to KOL, def will pick it up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i've only played OB 64 before as a kid, but i intend to buy and play the poo poo out of this. gods bless the tactics renaissance we've had these past few years

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I did not get to play March of the Black Queen or Person of Lordly Caliber until recent years because they did not have PAL releases in the 90s, but I'm not that keen on them. The strategy elements seem too light to me, and any remake that I would enjoy would be so different as to no longer be a remake.

That said, I would play the poo poo out of a remake of Knight of Lodis, which sadly did not get a PAL release either.

Fuligin posted:

i've only played OB 64 before as a kid, but i intend to buy and play the poo poo out of this. gods bless the tactics renaissance we've had these past few years

Speaking of, why hasn't FFT been ported to Switch? They've made every other FF game available. I'd also like to see SotN on the Switch, but that's entirely another genre.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

They didn't fix the most glaring issue of them all, caps-lock dialogue.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I didn't see anything about fixing crafting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DLC Inc posted:

hope this game sells gangbusters so we can also get a remake of Knight of Lodis / ports of 64. I never got into Cling Together as much due to not owning the systems it was constantly put on and I grew up with the GBA game instead, which I still love dearly. Looking forward to how this one compares to KOL, def will pick it up.

KoL had some small QoL upgrades from the SNES/SFC version of the game but the story wasn't nearly as good or complex imo.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Any summary of changes besides removing levels?
  • Yasumi Matsuno has directly confirmed they're involved.
  • English/Japanese voice acting.
  • New localizations (it's an EFIGS release).
  • Rebalancing. It's been suggested that FFXIV devs (who may have worked on the PSP version) are back for this.
  • New content. There's at least one new line of dialogue in the trailer. Kyoko Kitahara, a writer for the previous versions has worked on Reborn. Alexander Smith and others returned for localization work on Reborn.
  • Now four armor slots (hat/clothes/gloves/socks), up from three in PSP.
  • Skill and spells are now limited to four slots each. Finishers have 8 slots available.
  • Four consumable item slots. No more bag of everything.
  • TP was removed. Finishers probably cost health? or a time resource? We don't know for sure, though.
  • HP can now exceed 999. There's four digit slots, no idea what the new cap is.
  • Screens in the trailer suggest saving/loading of battle parties.
  • Units have elements again.
  • Action menu during battle is now horizontal, this is apparently more like the pre-PSP versions of the game.
  • Field buffs ("physical card") in battle that you can pick up. Probably temporary buffs.
  • Fast forward button in battle.
  • Crafting is still a thing.
  • Hearts are gone.
  • "Union Level", which seems to be a level cap for your band. Probably increased by story progression.
  • Level cap still seems to be 50 (once you get there with Union Level).
  • Implications of being able to preview maps you're about to fight in (spyglass button in formation screen).
  • Overhead view is still in.
  • More zoom levels for both the regular view and overhead view in battles.
  • Item auto restocking when you pass through cities.
There's tons more, I'm forgetting plenty of things.

ChrisBTY posted:

I didn't see anything about fixing crafting.
They haven't said anything about crafting, but we know it's still in because the trailer has screens with the crafting icon still there.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 8, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Between this, Front Mission, DioField, and Triangle Strategy we're finally eating good. Really hope they port Triangle Strategy and Front Mission to PC

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if the crafting is the exact same as the psp version, that should be easy enough to fix with cheat engine.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This is great news. This is one of my favorite games of all time

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I heard this game was/is good.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
2022 is a great year for turn based strategy games as it turns out.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Played this on Vita this year. Never finished but loved it. Can't wait. Sucks the switch is a lovely form factor for a portable otherwise this be great. Wish it was on phone

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

This is an awesome list.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would be surprised if fixing crafting isn't high on their priority list, but hell, worst case scenario, someone will come up with some cheatengine codes to make it a cinch.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I really wish they'd just make another game and I stand by my take that no amount of tweaks to the original are going to be all that special. Fiddling around the edges of a game that was pretty much perfect in in the late 90s is never gonna be as special as making something new.

Still a day 1 purchase, obviously. Just...want them to do more with this universe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hopefully this sells well enough that SE green lights a new Ogre Battle game. I'd be curious to know what the sales for Triangle Strategy have been like since it sold 800k copies in the first two weeks and then we heard nothing after that. TO:Reborn would've already been in the works well before Triangle Strategy launched but hopefully it's doing well and helping further push the "make more strategy games" narrative. We have Growlanser Diofield coming later this year (and a demo later this week) which will hopefully be good too.

I just want more Ogre Battle games. Matsuno's working on Reborn so hopefully he's interested in making more of them. Bonus points if he gets to steal Soken for a new Ogre Battle game's soundtrack after work on FFXVI is done.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been pining for a Ogre Battle style game for a long time. Not sure if any big studio would push a project like that through, but I'd be down if TO revitalized some interest.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I like SRPGs in concept, but the only one i've played to completion is Fire Emblem Awakening and I bounced from Fire Emblem Fates Birthright. This is supposed to be way better, right?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't find them comparable to Fire Emblem games, tbh.

But yes, the best of Fire Emblem doesn't even near the lows of Tactics Ogre.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

MorningMoon posted:

I like SRPGs in concept, but the only one i've played to completion is Fire Emblem Awakening and I bounced from Fire Emblem Fates Birthright. This is supposed to be way better, right?

It depends on what you're looking for from a game. Tactics Ogre is a very long game, with a pretty dark, political plot, lots of involved systems, etc. Fire Emblem Awakening is a lot lighter all around. It's hard to even directly compare them and call one better than the other because they're aiming at different goals.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hopefully this sells well enough that SE green lights a new Ogre Battle game. I'd be curious to know what the sales for Triangle Strategy have been like since it sold 800k copies in the first two weeks and then we heard nothing after that. TO:Reborn would've already been in the works well before Triangle Strategy launched but hopefully it's doing well and helping further push the "make more strategy games" narrative. We have Growlanser Diofield coming later this year (and a demo later this week) which will hopefully be good too.

I just want more Ogre Battle games. Matsuno's working on Reborn so hopefully he's interested in making more of them. Bonus points if he gets to steal Soken for a new Ogre Battle game's soundtrack after work on FFXVI is done.
Since it's now listed on Steam, we can view a limited set of historical data on SteamDB, which shows development has been ongoing on Steam since October 15th, 2020.

Zurai posted:

It depends on what you're looking for from a game. Tactics Ogre is a very long game, with a pretty dark, political plot, lots of involved systems, etc. Fire Emblem Awakening is a lot lighter all around. It's hard to even directly compare them and call one better than the other because they're aiming at different goals.
It really falls back to the image in the OP. Sometimes you just want to murk lots of Villageburner the Bandits, and that's okay.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 8, 2022

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

gibbed posted:

Since it's now listed on Steam, we can view a limited set of historical data on SteamDB, which shows development has been ongoing on Steam since October 15th, 2020.

Interesting thing about that means that this basically explains what Matsuno's been up to instead of infesting FFXIV with more Lucavi. They probably started internal work on this somewhere just after or towards the end of his work on the Bozja story.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Same, though when people say Ogre Battle games I'm assuming they say the Tactics ones---though I'd like another in the vein of 64/Black Queen. Would be neat if they could continue the story with alternating game styles too, I liked Ogre Battle's stories much more than the FF Tactics stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

DLC Inc posted:

Same, though when people say Ogre Battle games I'm assuming they say the Tactics ones---though I'd like another in the vein of 64/Black Queen. Would be neat if they could continue the story with alternating game styles too, I liked Ogre Battle's stories much more than the FF Tactics stuff.

The great thing about this is, if this engine is the same sort of work as the FF Pixel Remaster engine we could see a lot of stuff re-released. I'd love a War of the Lions remake without the framerate jank.