Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Not So Fast posted:

This worked out great in Afghanistan, I hear.

It was the opposite in Afghanistan, we dumped money on anyone who was willing to say they liked Kabul. Or were at least willing to put fighting neighboring enemies over fighting Kabul. It was a fake stability propped up by a hose of secret cash.

What they're proposing in Russia is the inverse, a fake instability propped up by a secret hose of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

crepeface posted:

free thatfatkid

They sent some very abusive PMs to mods though

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

OhFunny posted:

Correct. US financial might is practically limitless, so it can pour money in without concern.

the greatest risk of nuclear holocaust is Americas reaction to losing its spot as the only currency in which to denominate the worlds energy supply and government issued debt

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

So I think US can easily sustain the war for 5+ years. The bottleneck is the not the monetary support to the Ukraine civilian infrastructure but rather how fast the west (plus Korea) can build and send military hardware to Ukraine.

main difference here is that afghanistan was ultimately a pretty small-scale war against a bunch of guerillas whereas russia-ukraine is a conventional conflict where they burn through munitions and materiel at a massively higher pace

so there's no guarantee that the peacetime grift system will prove effective once you have an enemy capable of actual mass production

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

Someone needs to really investigate it in more detail imo.

Because US is sending some weapons, but not all of them, and not even most of them as I understand it. Europe is still the one doing most of the work here.

Are the other EU countries outside of Poland still sending military resource in the last couple months? I am not talking about accounting of the refugee support or the giant portable generators.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don't think the war is especially an difficult fiscal burden for the US, but the main issue for the Ukrainians is just the US is underspending compared to their needs and the Ukrainians are now pursuing self-damaging measures just because they don't have the resources.

That said, I also wouldn't say US resources are limitless especially now. The war isn't bankrupting the US but it isn't free either and it is another burden on the US' eroding fiscal situation. One thing is just the US has a ton of debt and not only is it continually increasing but the US has to roll it over with higher and higher yields and this requires more debt possibly at elevated yields.

Also, certain things like arms/ammo are bottlenecked in a way it will take time to fix and may not necessarily be fixed in the short term by throwing money at it. The is also the issue is trying to find Soviet arms which is slowly becoming more difficult (and the utilization of NATO heavy equipment has been pretty mixed.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Dec 25, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The CIA is going to give a bunch of missiles to an anime club in Poronaysk and get them to declare the unalienable Japaneseness of Sakhalin.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I don't think the war is especially a fiscal burden for the US, but the main issue for the Ukrainians is just the US is underspending compared to their needs and the Ukrainians are now pursuing self-damaging measures just because they don't have the resources.

That said, I also wouldn't say US resources are limitless especially now. The war isn't bankrupting the US but it isn't free either and it is another burden on the US' eroding fiscal situation. One thing is just the US has a ton of debt and not only is it continually increasing but the US has to roll it over with higher and higher yields and this requires more debt possibly at elevated yields.

the US being meaningfully damaged by support isn't the bar, it's just people feeling like they're being inconvenienced and getting tired of it as the economy worsens and layoffs continue.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gripweed posted:

So, just throw billions of dollars in weapons and dollars at anyone within Russian borders who doesn't like the Kremlin?

within?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are the other EU countries outside of Poland still sending military resource in the last couple months? I am not talking about accounting of the refugee support or the giant portable generators.

Well someone is supposed to be sending some version of T-55 to Ukraine or something.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The other indirect casualty of the war is the European economy so we'll see what knock-on effect that has and it ain't looking pretty so far.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ytlaya posted:

They sent some very abusive PMs to mods though

Can we see the PM's?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
no

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Can we see the PM's?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1606358585079914497

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ooh that's a good point. If we've got any Russian-born emigres, now would be a really good time to start positioning yourself as the legitimate ruler of your home oblast.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I’m pretty sure strokes leave you incapable of determining geo-politics.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ron paul is still alive???????????

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Can we see the PM's?

No. But I can assure you they were extremely abusive. Some of the most abusive PMs I've ever seen, in fact. I literally fainted upon witnessing some of them.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

im going to post the sexpig pms at midnight

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ytlaya posted:

No. But I can assure you they were extremely abusive. Some of the most abusive PMs I've ever seen, in fact. I literally fainted upon witnessing some of them.

Good

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Well someone is supposed to be sending some version of T-55 to Ukraine or something.

Yeah, although the gun on them is kind of useless even in an infantry support role (they don't seem to have HE-frag ammo for the 105mm NATO gun they were upgraded with). T-72s are coming from Morocco but it all of them have to be restored in the Czech Republic because they are basically rust buckets.

There is still equipment out there but it is clear it is getting more difficult finding it or if it is found it has to be completely restored or is sort of useless like Slovenian T-55s (they at least have thermal sights). I mean there are tons of t-55s out there and theoretically they could be modernized, but the T-55 is clearly handicapped by its gun/turret.

So the Ukrainians aren't "cut off" but it is also getting more complicated supplying them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You think this is loving funny? Well let me tell you - it's not! People have died because of these PMs, and they will continue to do so until we as a community begin to take them seriously. Why do you think most of the mods from 10 years ago no longer post here? It's because they're dead! But I bet you never even considered that.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hateful PM by night

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is an unacceptable permaban of the smiling-waving-Mao avatar poster, thatfatkid

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Some of them are alive and they're child molesters

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
None of you even comprehend what it takes to be an administrator... sometimes you must offer up one of your own highly regarded children, for the greater good. So that C SPAM itself can go on.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So who was modding during the Ruso-Ukrainian war I?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

iCe-CuBe. posted:

None of you even comprehend what it takes to be an administrator... sometimes you must offer up one of your own highly regarded children, for the greater good. So that C SPAM itself can go on.

The Ones Who Walk Away From CSPAM

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeffrey needs to invest some of SA's revenues in mental health services for the mods/admins, for the same reason our intelligence community should. These people witness horrors every single day, so that we do not have to.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I am not accusing any current something awful moderator or admin of molesting kids I'm just saying as far as we know aatrek isn't dead

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Also, certain things like arms/ammo are bottlenecked in a way it will take time to fix and may not necessarily be fixed in the short term by throwing money at it. The is also the issue is trying to find Soviet arms which is slowly becoming more difficult (and the utilization of NATO heavy equipment has been pretty mixed.)

The three main things I see impeding support to Ukraine:

1. Giving raw money for things like wages and general civic support isn’t as popular or tangible as providing weaponry. I don’t think that’s objectively true, but when it comes to political palatability, paying for weapons to fight Russians might be easier than providing money to pay for civic services. But maybe that changes; the most recent US aid package had significantly more money laid out for economic and humanitarian aid than it did in weaponry for Ukraine.
2. As you said, bottlenecks in raw speed of production, even when money is applied. Add to that time to train on any systems that are new to Ukraine.
3. The US and west have a lot of arms and ordnance that they will hang on to for their own contingency plans, training, etc, completely unrelated to Ukraine or Russia. There is a lot of ordnance that the US isn’t “out” of, but is not willing to give away. Same can be said of Russia. There is a stock of reserves they will not want to dip into for this conflict.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There is 105×617mmR high explosive ammo, but there’s something weird about it that I can’t remember off the top of my head. Maybe German-only production?

I forget what the mix for Canadian Leos was, but I remember it was on one of my ammo courses. I think HE was not widely produced in favour of HESH and HEAT, but there was something else too.

I also remember it was used for the late 80’s ammo developments we all know and love, so there’s been trials of DIME, PELE and the other magic projectile that was going to replace HE, FAP.

Just look up the kind of ammo money has been going into developing for 30 years now lol. Obscenely expensive and complex, imo for its own sake.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 25, 2022

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The other indirect casualty of the war is the European economy so we'll see what knock-on effect that has and it ain't looking pretty so far.

lookin pretty for american industry!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I dont recall seeing this mentioned in the thread, but the same day Zelenskyy met President Biden in Washington, Dmitry Medvedev met President Xi in Beijing

No real details known beyond him stating on Telegram that they discussed the Ukraine conflict and cooperation between China and Russia.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
the only good thing about the economic impact in europe is that customers are cutting their orders before suppliers cut their supplies

this is currently backfeeding through multiple industries which were massively greedy and both over-invested and over-recruited to absorb backlogs ASAP on the demand of investors/governance boards pissed about leaving money on the table for being under capacity after having not invested since 2008

in summary, lol. first half of the year will carry on through inertia but the second half of the year will be crunch time for Europe’s industry

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
macron was in the usa begging DC not to subsidize american industry and reshoring in return for supporting the war and the response was basically "lol"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

I dont recall seeing this mentioned in the thread, but the same day Zelenskyy met President Biden in Washington, Dmitry Medvedev met President Xi in Beijing

No real details known beyond him stating on Telegram that they discussed the Ukraine conflict and cooperation between China and Russia.

It's a political gesture. The meeting readout is very short.

It's kind of a curve ball that allow outside many different interpretations.

mila kunis posted:

macron was in the usa begging DC not to subsidize american industry and reshoring in return for supporting the war and the response was basically "lol"

I have come to the conclusion that Macron is a little cuck since he didn't do anything meaningful after Biden stole the Aussie submarine contract from France. He is more of papertiger than Scholz. At least Scholz went to Beijing and signed fat contracts and he didn't.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Dec 25, 2022

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

There is 105×617mmR high explosive ammo, but there’s something weird about it that I can’t remember off the top of my head. Maybe German-only production?

I forget what the mix for Canadian Leos was, but I remember it was on one of my ammo courses. I think HE was not widely produced in favour of HESH and HEAT, but there was something else too.

I also remember it was used for the late 80’s ammo developments we all know and love, so there’s been trials of DIME, PELE and the other magic projectile that was going to replace HE, FAP.

Just look up the kind of ammo money has been going into developing for 30 years now lol. Obscenely expensive and complex, imo for its own sake.

None of it needs to be. It's a metal rod optimized. The price point is fabricated in another facility (think of a national armory but for sucking legislators dicks)

At least the MPF has a rifled cannon for HE ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

the mod who reads all of the cspammer PMs: