Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

MechaX posted:

So here I am, grinding CC for the mount before 6.3 hits

So what is the logic behind pursuing someone so hard that you end up at the other team's spawn point

Crap did they confirm the season ends with the patch? I'm not even at the portrait frame yet

WrightOfWay posted:

Keep in mind that if you do this your Astral Fire timer starts ticking earlier

It shouldn't. Shooting off the Fire 3 gives you a fresh timer. You'd be starting from the same place you always do using Fire 3 to begin AF.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Since the Fire 3 is cast instantly rather than just very quickly, it'll refresh the buff slightly earlier in the GCD.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ahhhh. Dang BLM optimization really can get into the weeds huh?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I think of Fire 3 as an opener or 'proc go boom'

I'm sure if I raided I'd think about it more, but for most content I'm happy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ice 3 is my opener most of the time, letting me fire off a Thunder 3 and then the free Fire 3 , giving me a full mana bar of Fire 1s and (if the UI refilled me to full between the Thunder and the Fire) enough MP for another Thunder if I don't get any Thunderstorm procs. I rarely get into high enough content on BLM that I even have IVs available yet.

It's a good enough rotation for MSQ content, and half the time I forget I have Ley Lines, too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You open with fire 3 sharp cast thunder triplecast fire 4 fire 4 paradox fire 4 despair manafont fire 4 despair ice 3 with leylines and your power cds weaved into it. I might be missing a f4 cast in this summary

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You open with fire 3 sharp cast thunder triplecast fire 4 fire 4 paradox fire 4 despair manafont fire 4 despair ice 3 with leylines and your power cds weaved into it. I might be missing a f4 cast in this summary

Sharpcast prepull, Fire 3, Thunder 3, Triplecast, Fire 4, Fire 4, Ley Lines and Amplify double weave, Fire 4, Swiftcast, Fire 4, Triplecast, Despair, Manafont, Fire 4, Despair, start rotation starting with Ice 3.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does AF last long enough to get that many fire 4s out? I always run out of it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It does when you’re standing in your Lay Lines and using literally all your instant cast skills. That’s why it’s the opener.

The normal rotation is Ice 3, Sharpcast, Ice 4, Xeno, Paradox, Thunder 3, Fire 3, Fire 4 x3, Paradox, Fire 4 x3, Despair, and then rinse and repeat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't have at least three of those words

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dareon posted:

I don't have at least three of those words

Post-60 and pre-72, the rotation is Ice 3, Sharpcast, Ice 4, Thunder 3, Fire 3, Fire 4 x3, Fire 1, Fire 4 x3, rinse and repeat. There’s no reason to mess with openers at this level. You can substitute the Despairs with Flares and Xenoglossies with Fouls if you really want to but there’s not much point. Especially since Foul isn’t instacast until 80.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Note that this level of optimization is almost purely academic. Even in current Savage raids, you're better off saving your brainpower for positioning and timing of instant casts/leylines, so you can keep uptime (and stay within range of healing) while dodging everything that you need to.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Content be damned, doing optimal rotations are their own reward

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Note that this level of optimization is almost purely academic. Even in current Savage raids, you're better off saving your brainpower for positioning and timing of instant casts/leylines, so you can keep uptime (and stay within range of healing) while dodging everything that you need to.

I mean the opener totally is but the base rotation isn’t. You want to go through the GCDs and use your Sharpcasts in that order.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

:yeah:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

:hai:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

You've accepted defeat into your heart. I will always do as much dps as possible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Whenever I complete all three summons before Bahamut/Phoenix come off cooldown.

:discourse:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm just happy if my dots don't fall off.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Whenever I complete all three summons before Bahamut/Phoenix come off cooldown.

:discourse:

If you ever have to cast Ruin III at Level 90, you've either hosed up or tightened your rotation to a ridiculous degree.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jraTSr_44

merry starlight, can anyone figure out the lyrics to the second bit of the first line of this song?

ffwiki says this is from the liner notes of the ShB soundtrack:

Come ye children mild and merry, starlight is arrived (oh)
Lo! Our spirits starward carried, joyous and bright (oh)
Ah ah! Heavenly laughter
Ah ah! Happiness everlasting
Hark! O ye tender hearts and
smile, smile, smile

to me it all lines up except "starilght is arrived", which sounds nothing like whatever they actually sing

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

DanielCross posted:

If you ever have to cast Ruin III at Level 90, you've either hosed up or tightened your rotation to a ridiculous degree.

Now now, casting ruin 3 once per minute is totally normal

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/grymnoire/status/1607037073701085186

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

During P4S prog, I managed to refine my SMN rotation to the point where I consistently spent the very last two casts in my cycle on Ifrit dashing right as I needed to bait a proximity attack. Stopped doing it though, because it's easier to just use an instant cast and walk there, but it felt very cool at the time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Steelion posted:

Now now, casting ruin 3 once per minute is totally normal

That reminds me of all the doom and gloom at the EW Media Tour announcements around how the SMN changes meant you'd be spamming almost entirely just two buttons through the majority of a fight. In reality, while the total number of buttons went down, a lot of those were only hit once every 60 or more seconds, so the number of different actions you were hitting in a one minute window actually went up.

The changes still led to a vastly simpler Job which isn't perfect, especially for those that liked the old SMN, but it's still a reminder that first impressions based off reading tooltips and footage from people that were strictly time limited on what they could do isn't exactly ironclad.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've accepted my mediocrity and will never ever touch a synced savage raid

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

To believe in "Santa" is to believe in nothing!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just enjoy making photos :shobon: Trying to get hands to do what I want them to do is not the most fun though.

And a bonus, a behind the scenes picture :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is this “Santa” otherwise engaged? I was given to understand he was your protector. If you truly believe him your guardian, why do you not repeat the trick that served you so well at 34th Street, and call him down? He will answer, so long as you lavish him with tinsel and gorge him on cookies. Your avatars are no different from those of the grinches─marketing every one. Accept but this, and you will see how Eorzea's Christmas spirit is bleeding the land dry.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FuturePastNow posted:

I've accepted my mediocrity and will never ever touch a synced savage raid

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Onean posted:

That reminds me of all the doom and gloom at the EW Media Tour announcements around how the SMN changes meant you'd be spamming almost entirely just two buttons through the majority of a fight. In reality, while the total number of buttons went down, a lot of those were only hit once every 60 or more seconds, so the number of different actions you were hitting in a one minute window actually went up.

The changes still led to a vastly simpler Job which isn't perfect, especially for those that liked the old SMN, but it's still a reminder that first impressions based off reading tooltips and footage from people that were strictly time limited on what they could do isn't exactly ironclad.
I love new SMN but desperately wish it had another layer of complexity to it. Something like a meter that lets you spend 50 gauge to use something akin to the old Egi Assault, for example. Or the DoTs they took away. Just something to manage that crosses between the various Summon phases. And it also needs to get some of its abilities way the gently caress earlier - you should get Crimson Cyclone/Mountain Buster/Slipstream at like, 60 or 70, not fuckin' 86.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think all jobs should be substantially feature complete at 50. We'd have to argue what that means for each job but every time I do something sub 60 leveling the BLM it just sucks. As I've said I feel like the 50 BLM is far from representing the true job play style. And it's definitely not the only job like that - GNB without the bullet combo, DRK without TBN or blood meter, DNC without Dance Partner...

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

SuperKlaus posted:

I think all jobs should be substantially feature complete at 50. We'd have to argue what that means for each job but every time I do something sub 60 leveling the BLM it just sucks. As I've said I feel like the 50 BLM is far from representing the true job play style. And it's definitely not the only job like that - GNB without the bullet combo, DRK without TBN or blood meter, DNC without Dance Partner...
Black Mage, Reaper, Dragoon, Dark Knight, Gunbreaker and Dancer are the biggest offenders on that front. Gunbreaker and Dark Knight are really bad to cut your tanking teeth on since PLD and WAR get their short cooldowns at 35 and 52 respectively (though Sheltron isn't nearly as good as the frankly ridiculous 6.0 Raw Intuition) while GNB and DRK only get theirs in late Stormblood.

I won't comment on PLD being boring as poo poo at 50 since it's getting reworked in a few weeks.

DNC and BLM you've touched on, RPR feels like it should have its kit moved down ten levels (ie you get Soul Slice at 50 and Gibbet/Gallows at 60 instead of 60 and 70 respectively, and also Plentiful Harvest and Arcane Circle at 70 instead of freaking 88 - just give it the Shroud Gauge effect at 88), and Dragoon not having its full combo when synched down makes it agony to play for someone used to the full job kit.

I'd also say that White Mage needs something too - Sage and Scholar both get up to three charges of their oGCD heal by 50 and Astro has a lightning-fast 45 second oGCD at literally all times, while WHM only gets Benediction - which is on a whopping 180 second cooldown. I'm of the firm opinion that Freecure should be turned into a 400-500 potency oGCD heal that you get at level 15, which upgrades into Tetragrammaton at 60.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Rdm below 80 feels so anemic, I don't sign up for anything other than expert on it

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Getting through the mid steps of HW relics is really quick once you have the materials. Took me about a week to accumulate and that's mostly procrastination.

Then five minutes of watching

e: unrelated:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PvP rank 25 starting at 15 ten days ago.

Now to get the rest of my moogle tomestones doing LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE DEAR GOD!

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 26, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

dyslexicfaser posted:

That is snappy. What's the macro command to change gearsets?

Sorry to get back to you so late. The whole macro generally looks like this:

/snap <wait.1>
/gs change 1 <wait.1>
/bstance

Still works if moving or mounted. Drop the last line or replace with an emote as needed.
To force relic glow, I'm using this:

/snap <wait.1>
/gs change 1 <wait.1>
/bm
/sit

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1607345491939037185?t=e4uFIke2qcr9vfVyRbk46Q&s=19

Oh yay, bidding against FC's now because bidding against just other players has been successful

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh yay, bidding against FC's now because bidding against just other players has been successful

That there are way more FC-only wards than are actually needed means that shouldn't be a problem at all, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Theris posted:

That there are way more FC-only wards than are actually needed means that shouldn't be a problem at all, right?

Now that every FC can get a house, the problem has changed to "not every FC can get a big house"