Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The reflag I did with you was really last time I sailed for them. They didn't get us mattresses till Cape Town.

Should be a relief 3rd with B Dub coming up if he didn't get hold of you. Also possibly a relief 1st there, and a C9 relief 1st but that might be just a trip or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

The reflag I did with you was really last time I sailed for them. They didn't get us mattresses till Cape Town.

Should be a relief 3rd with B Dub coming up if he didn't get hold of you. Also possibly a relief 1st there, and a C9 relief 1st but that might be just a trip or two.

That one was in good shape for a reflag. The mattresses didn't even all come until the states, I had a poo poo one from Baltimore to Norfolk. I'm still on here for another while, I thought I'd be off early but if we actually make schedule I'll be on a while yet.

Does Matson still have like better sheets and food? When I was a cadet quality of life was really good but the C9 I was on was a hard working ship to say the least.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I've erased it from my memory.

Food is better on the triangle, China Express gets a little old but it always depends on the galley crew. Sheets depend on if you follow an alcoholic first who spent all his time smoking butts in bed so everything smells like an ashtray and you keep digging butts out of the sheets.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

lightpole posted:

you keep digging butts out of the sheets.

I usually do it the other way around when I sleep nekkid.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

I've erased it from my memory.

Food is better on the triangle, China Express gets a little old but it always depends on the galley crew. Sheets depend on if you follow an alcoholic first who spent all his time smoking butts in bed so everything smells like an ashtray and you keep digging butts out of the sheets.

I don't at all like being the anti booze guy but drat alcoholics on a ship can be really miserable

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I got a good sheet today. I'm going to find the old one in the laundry and cut it up for rags. Quality of life is spectacularly improved.

Today on the ship we learned that if you have to make new gaskets for a cooling water pipe, don't forget the hole for the water, or things will get melty!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You have the 1sts keys, just go grab one or yell the SA to put something decent on your bed.

Was it as bad as leaving a rag in the piston cooling oil B&K?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Was it as bad as leaving a rag in the piston cooling oil B&K?

Our usual rag location is in the exhaust valve drives. So fun. This was on a compressor which is definitely better than anything in a B&K. Just have to melt the remains of the poo poo aluminum piston out with a torch!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I'm on leave and I'm drunk gently caress the navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So it’s a day ending in “y”.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/12/15/videos-show-hospital-ship-incident-led-19-people-going-overboard-questions-swirl.html

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? The Navy lie to try and cover its tracks? Why I never.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I intentionally did not look into this cause I knew it was going to be the dumbest thing ever and I'm not disappointed.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Needed those sailors back on board to field day after dinner. Whoever approved and oversaw that operation is a slob and a liability. Why the gently caress are you bringing people onboard a ship using a crane? It's literally the stupidest loving way you could possibly conceive for getting people back aboard. Everyone should get an LOI and the OOD should be demoted to ship's gimp for the remainder of their time aboard.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The screaming and surprise at the end of the video are sad, but I was almost yelling at my computer "What the gently caress did you expect!?". Shockingly bad decision. I was on a sub tender for rotational staffing and it was also a mixed MSC/US Navy crew, so I wondering if that was part of the issue. On my sub tender there always seemed to be dislike among the senior officers between the USN/MSC. This wasn't the case at the lower levels thankfully, but I was the GQ bridge phone talker so I saw plenty of interesting things between the USN and MSC.

My favorite was when we were doing our final GQ to certify sea readiness after a long yard period in Portland, OR of all places. The drill was a flood that led to an electrical fire or something similar. Well, a lot of the sound powered phones didn't work, so that made my job tough. We had some sound tubes and I was able to use those to talk to some folks, but luckily they were not big parts of the drill or it would have been a huge pain in the rear end. Anyways, I was getting reports from locker teams that they could not deploy their hose teams because they were trying to order MSC folks to do it, but I guess at their time the qualification system was different and they didn't all dress out for everything or something. Anyway, the drill was going poorly as you can imagine. Then the chief mate received a phone call, and in the middle of the most chaotic part of the drill he announces "I have to take this call, I will be back in a bit". The Navy Captain scoffed at this and said something like "Are you seriously leaving in the middle of this?!" and the chief mate said "My son's on the phone, this is way more important than this bullshit drill" and walked out onto the observation wing and was on the phone for the rest of the drill. The USN captain looked at me and I looked at him and we both had the same WTF face. Needless to say the rest of that deployment was full of fireworks.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Hopefully you don't have too much longer left! Getting out is the best decision I ever made. Perhaps next to my FTN tattoo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hopefully you don't have too much longer left! Getting out is the best decision I ever made. Perhaps next to my FTN tattoo.

A FTN tattoo is more self-indulgent and sad than an actual navy tattoo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Then the chief mate received a phone call, and in the middle of the most chaotic part of the drill he announces "I have to take this call, I will be back in a bit". The Navy Captain scoffed at this and said something like "Are you seriously leaving in the middle of this?!" and the chief mate said "My son's on the phone, this is way more important than this bullshit drill" and walked out onto the observation wing and was on the phone for the rest of the drill. The USN captain looked at me and I looked at him and we both had the same WTF face. Needless to say the rest of that deployment was full of fireworks.

He wasn't wrong, though.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AlternateNu posted:

Look at this motto rear end motherrucker

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wibla posted:

He wasn't wrong, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

USN and MSC relations couldn’t have better on my ship due to a certain first class boning down with two of em!

Navy motto tattoos are the best. Especially with bull poo poo rates like IT.

:smuggo:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

And I thought the Seaman at my last unit with Semper Paratus across the top of her pubic area was tasteless.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 17, 2022

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

And I thought the Seaman at my last unit with Semper Paratus across the top of her public area was tasteless.

Guessing public area isn't a typo in context?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Laranzu posted:

Guessing public area isn't a typo in context?

oops, is that like a reverse freudian slip?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crab Dad posted:

USN and MSC relations couldn’t have better on my ship due to a certain first class boning down with two of em!

Navy motto tattoos are the best. Especially with bull poo poo rates like IT.

:smuggo:

I knew a dude with his dolphins tattooed to his chest

christ who wants a lifetime reminder of that

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

:wrong:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

I intentionally did not look into this cause I knew it was going to be the dumbest thing ever and I'm not disappointed.

Yeah basically. Imagine even having 19 spare people, that's a whole crew lately with the cadet stand downs and the electrician shortages

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elendil004 posted:

And I thought the Seaman at my last unit with Semper Paratus across the top of her pubic area was tasteless.

Guessing she really wanted that Coast Guard billet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elendil004 posted:

That is so tasteless it's almost art.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

how in the hell did you even find out about it?

nvm actually, yeah that would get talked about, EVERYWHERE on the ship, at loving lightning speed once it was discovered.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64023249

quote:

The Thai navy says 31 sailors are missing after a warship carrying more than 100 crew capsized and sank during a storm in the Gulf of Thailand.

HTMS Sukhothai sank after water flooded its power controls on Sunday night. Images shared by the navy showed some crew who survived in a life raft.

On Monday, authorities said they had rescued 75 sailors, but 31 were still missing in rough seas.

There's some brief video of it capsizing, seems like it happened really slowly.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Bunch of fuckery with orders.

Students report to JCAC,, get put into holding for a month, get into class, some go through all 7 months of it, and graduate to be placed back into holding for 2+ months without orders.

By the time they hit month 5 its pretty apparent their GPA is going to push through the last 3 modules.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

Students report to JCAC,, get put into holding for a month, get into class, some go through all 7 months of it, and graduate to be placed back into holding for 2+ months without orders.

By the time they hit month 5 its pretty apparent their GPA is going to push through the last 3 modules.

At leas the weathers nice in Cory.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Crab Dad posted:

At leas the weathers nice in Cory.

Mid-20s last night.

Starting to see 3rd generation instructors; my former students finishing their enlistment and coming back to teach ad I did when I went through in 2010.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

Mid-20s last night.

Starting to see 3rd generation instructors; my former students finishing their enlistment and coming back to teach ad I did when I went through in 2010.

Vriess posted:

Mid-20s last night.

I was really close to accepting 3 year orders for instructing.

Like I thought about for days.

But lol Florida. Nope just couldn’t.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Vriess posted:

Is the pipeline just hosed up? Cuz it's not like we've been slammed by new grads at Meade or anything. Just a steady trickle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Is the pipeline just hosed up? Cuz it's not like we've been slammed by new grads at Meade or anything. Just a steady trickle.

What’s the housing for reservists like at Meade? I’m feeling the itch to mobilize or long term orders again.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Crab Dad posted:

What’s the housing for reservists like at Meade? I’m feeling the itch to mobilize or long term orders again.

Lottery winner itches to buy more tickets

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Lottery winner itches to buy more tickets

Just one more mob.

I can stop at any time.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Crab Dad posted:

Just one more mob.

I can stop at any time.

I lived in south Odenton and didn't have any issue going thr backroad to Waaaaaagh Chapel or Crofton for late night eats at the Nautilus.

LPO lived in Columbia before moving to Glen Burnie.

Other dude lived in Ellicott city until it turned to Atlantis. Then he moved to Tampa last year and that went underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Nautilus always had lovely coffee for me. Go here. It's still open since I moved away.

https://www.grumpscafe.com/