Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2022/dec/21/train-derailment-follow-up-tfp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Couldn't figure out why the Tesla I was trying to pull into the shop only wanted to go sideways. Then I figured it out....

It was about 5° and starting to snow when this idiot showed up. Guess he should have ordered his new snows before December.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably got a bunch of nice cracks in those frozen summers now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I’ve seen teslas drive in the winter. Pretty sure their owners think they aren’t subject to the laws of physics because “computers”

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That truck driver is hosed

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

slidebite posted:

That truck driver is hosed

Yeah one of the few things we got hammered to us when I was getting my license is you’re not supposed to shift or even touch your brakes while crossing tracks and if you stop on the tracks, you are turbofucked and not only are we gonna fire you, we’re gonna sue you if there’s an accident and you’ll never work as a truck driver again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

I’ve seen teslas drive in the winter. Pretty sure their owners think they aren’t subject to the laws of physics because “computers”

There was a goon in this very forum who posted about how good his Tesla was in the snow and then binned it into a ditch like a week later. Parts took forever to come in too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A couple years ago, there was the goon who had his Tesla plugged in to a hundred twenty volt, fifteen amp circuit, parked outside at a cabin.

He was liveblogging the range getting lower and lower in the cold.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Later ones run a heat pump off of the HV battery, and use that to both heat/cool the cabin + maintain drive unit and battery temp (there's a liquid heat exchanger for drive unit and battery along with a mess of solenoids on the manifold, then a typical evap for the cabin). Older ones have resistive heat for everything; I want to say the battery heater was 6kW? So yeah, a 120V circuit won't be able to keep up. And obviously the battery loses capacity in the cold.

I think the battery heating only runs ~30 min before you're ready to drive, and that's if you schedule it to run. Otherwise you wind up with 1/4 or 1/3 of your normal range once it's super cold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There was a goon in this very forum who posted about how good his Tesla was in the snow and then binned it into a ditch like a week later. Parts took forever to come in too.

There was a youtuber years ago who was upset that his tesla got such terrible traction in the snow. He made a video about it and how he didn't like his Telsa because it was an old one that had the fake black grille on the front. He also said that it was too dangerous to drive during winter and his family nearly died on the highway. He walks around the car and you can see he has continental summer tires on and the tires are also worn down to the cords.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

There was a youtuber years ago who was upset that his tesla got such terrible traction in the snow. He made a video about it and how he didn't like his Telsa because it was an old one that had the fake black grille on the front. He also said that it was too dangerous to drive during winter and his family nearly died on the highway. He walks around the car and you can see he has continental summer tires on and the tires are also worn down to the cords.

So, typical Tesla owner...

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Teslas aren't like the worst vehicle ever made, although they're close, so combined with the type of idiot who would by one based solely on riding Elon's dick, what do you truly expect?

Henry Ford and Elon really trying hard for biggest piece of poo poo car manufacturer owner ever with Henry probably rolling over in his grave right now.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 23, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Large Testicles posted:

Teslas aren't like the worst vehicle ever made, although they're close, so combined with the type of idiot who would by one based solely on riding Elon's dick, what do you truly expect?

Henry Ford and Elon really trying hard for biggest piece of poo poo car manufacturer owner ever with Henry probably rolling over in his grave right now.

IIRC Tesla has mostly stuck to bothering their employees, customers, and regulators, which shows a narrowness of vision. Ford really pushed the limits of who a car company can trouble - like that time when he tried to build an ideal US town in whatever South American country produced their rubber. (The enforced Good Christian Values are sort of implied).

Of course this may just be because Ford dedicated himself to the company, while Musk is easily distracted.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Computer viking posted:

IIRC Tesla has mostly stuck to bothering their employees, customers, and regulators, which shows a narrowness of vision. Ford really pushed the limits of who a car company can trouble - like that time when he tried to build an ideal US town in whatever South American country produced their rubber. (The enforced Good Christian Values are sort of implied).

Of course this may just be because Ford dedicated himself to the company, while Musk is easily distracted.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Computer viking posted:

Ol' Henry realized the value of a 40 hour work week too.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

STR posted:

How many Model 3s will we see getting around at vintage rally’s in 100 years :v:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The drive units and batteries will all be yanked out and put into cars that are actually cool, the rest of the Tesla will go where it belongs...recycled into vibrators and oversized novelty eyeglasses.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

STR posted:

And got sued, successfully, for trying to pay his employees more.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jonny Nox posted:

from a local area facebook page just yesterday

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/WeXoweS.mp4

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 25, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh, I want to hear ALL of that video.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Godholio posted:

Oh, I want to hear ALL of that video.

I fixed it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I could literally watch morons destroying their own cars all day. :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

It was -30°C most of last week and there were plenty of Teslas out, though most of them had the snow-free roofs indicative of having a garage to keep it in

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Am I hearing the engine racing while the car goes nowhere, and presumably the thrashing of the half shaft/CV joint?
Delicious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Am I hearing the engine racing while the car goes nowhere, and presumably the thrashing of the half shaft/CV joint?
Delicious.

They've destroyed the ball joint and possibly bent the control arm at minimum, and yeah now the wheel is angled, likely bent and the wheel bearings/cv half shaft is toast.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Driving around Seattle today after yesterday's ice storm and checking out all the cars still stuck in ditches gave me a couple data points as far as car owner stereotypes go. Mostly trucks and subarus of course, the kind of people who think their car will somehow have traction on wet ice because the guy at the dealer said they can drive on everything. I've mainly been thinking about the one mini cooper I saw though. Someone yesterday saw all the news headlines saying not to drive and thought "well they're probably thinking about non-mini cooper owners."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

On that tack my cousin apparently put his work van into a ditch 3 times yesterday

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

chistmas miracle at 18:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBerq2AKECs&t=1094s

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

holy poo poo. never seen that before. welp, accidentally watched the whole thing

its actually pretty interesting how LS-like the design of that motor is, considering they share no roots. neat

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Have they ever updated the Viper engine in any meaningful way, or is it still basically a Chrysler LA engine with two more cylinders?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Large Testicles posted:

Yeah one of the few things we got hammered to us when I was getting my license is you’re not supposed to shift or even touch your brakes while crossing tracks and if you stop on the tracks, you are turbofucked and not only are we gonna fire you, we’re gonna sue you if there’s an accident and you’ll never work as a truck driver again.

When I got my CDL there was a railroad track down the road from the school; it was hammered into our brain that you don't even touch the gearshift when you're near that track.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Have they ever updated the Viper engine in any meaningful way, or is it still basically a Chrysler LA engine with two more cylinders?

i really doubt the LA from the 60s has a front cover oil pump, lifter valleys under the heads, twinned roller rockers, six bolt mains, etc

dude in the video said the oil pump parts were expensive and unique, so probably not shared with the later hemi either, which does have the oil pump in the front cover

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My BiTurbo Diesel after the timing belt broke at 160km/h

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

i really doubt the LA from the 60s has a front cover oil pump, lifter valleys under the heads, twinned roller rockers, six bolt mains, etc

dude in the video said the oil pump parts were expensive and unique, so probably not shared with the later hemi either, which does have the oil pump in the front cover

I might have been a little jocular about how Mopar doesn't update stuff if they don't have to under threat of violence. :imunfunny:

I have no idea how much development they've done over the V10 generations, IIRC the first gen Viper engine has 4 bolt mains and no roller rockers so that's at least two things they've changed!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

As I said elsewhere: I really wanna see what the valves and pistons look like.

Imagine that sounded like someone shaking a bag of loose change for a brief moment

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Imagine that sounded like someone shaking a bag of loose change for a brief moment

Definitely gonna take a few bags of loose change to get it sounding normal again

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FYI for anyone that hasn't lived in Augusta, GA, and experienced their very specific brand of racial stupidity;

do not confuse the Hispanic name of the driver with the misleading town name of Martinez, GA.

Unlike how 99.9% of the world would pronounce it, they call it "Martin-EZ", and it is a lily-white affluent exurb of Augusta, just over the county line (Augusta has a combined city/county government).

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

back when i was working at a benz/chrysler dealership in like '06 we had a mercedes diesel eat poo poo so bad it snapped the cams in like 30 different pieces and the entire valve train was basically shattered. i had a picture on my potato phone but it's long since gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

CommieGIR posted:

The canonical phrase in this thread used to be "a skeleton jerking off in a trash can full of spoons".