Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
That's awesome! I got Harvestella from my sister, and I'm adoring it so far. The music is really good. I like the story, but I'm not far in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aerofallosov posted:

That's awesome! I got Harvestella from my sister, and I'm adoring it so far. The music is really good. I like the story, but I'm not far in.

It's really good. I just wish you could change your appearance after starting (aside from job outfits)

I don't really love the haircut I chose.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Golf Story is like $6. Good game?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the thread generally loves it but i found it pretty boring? it’s charm is about the only thing it has, and it’s not even all that. gameplay, story, art, music—forgettable.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

abelwingnut posted:

the thread generally loves it but i found it pretty boring? it’s charm is about the only thing it has, and it’s not even all that. gameplay, story, art—forgettable.

So I should just get Xenoblade 3 instead?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Inzombiac posted:

It's really good. I just wish you could change your appearance after starting (aside from job outfits)

Yeah, it'd be nice. I do like that they offer nonbinary character generation.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oldstench posted:

Golf Story is like $6. Good game?

Well, if you would call the best switch exclusive good, then yeah.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

golf story is extremely good and owns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Oldstench posted:

u should get both and not listen to the single insane guy saying the game sucks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Golf Story at $6 is like being paid $54 to play an awesome game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Golf Story is only notable because it came out during the first 6 months of the Switch when 20 million people owned a Switch and only had one game to play on it. It’s mildly charming and doesn’t overstay its welcome but it’s a messy concoction of 3 different genres that does each one notably worse than the types of games it’s trying to be.

$6 is probably the right price.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, what exactly is so good about it? i'm honestly curious what its fans love about it. nothing about it engaged me at all.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Oldstench posted:

Not that it’s a fair comparison, but you should absolutely get Xenoblade 3.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I got a $20 eshop card for christmas so i decided to buy Atelier Ryza while it was on discount

review: its fun

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Oldstench posted:

they could not be more opposite. that's like asking "should i spent $6 on some delicious snack food or $60 on a full course meal?" Nobody can answer that but you and your stomach, bud!!

both are extremely good games on the Switch. Golf Story is very clever, taking a simple mechanic (golf) and applying that to literally every aspect of an RPG, to comedic and charming effect. XB3 asks the question, "is it fun to make 5 games worth of mechanics and add them into a single game?", and the answer is yes, and oh yeah it's one of the best character stories in recent memory

can't go wrong either way. get both. if you use the gold points from XB3 toward Golf Story than your entire transaction is like $63 for two extremely good games

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Waltzing Along posted:

Golf Story at $6 is like being paid $54 $64 to play an awesome game.

Fixed for inflation.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a fun little game to play. stop harassing me.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Inzombiac posted:

u can change ur hair and face iirc

face is by hitting left on the dpad, hair is by salons

(also down is for photo mode)

e: ah whoops, somehow i got this confused and thought it was for pokemon :v: yeah its weird harvestella doesn't let u change ur appearance, hopefully they patch in acnh mirrors or smth

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Xenoblade 3 is great but just too long and really overstays it’s welcome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought Moving Out for my wife and I.
Maybe it's the Christmas cheer but we thought it was hilarious.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

abelwingnut posted:

i mean, what exactly is so good about it? i'm honestly curious what its fans love about it. nothing about it engaged me at all.

its fun. not really a very confusing or complicated situation

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

show us where the fun is. draw a diagram

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
fun is stored in the balls.
The golf balls

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

abelwingnut posted:

Golf,

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now that I am a bit further into Sports Story I can say it has leaned heavily into adventure and less into Golf. There's a lot more steps before playing than in the first game. Really curious how long it is going to be.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waltzing Along posted:

There's a lot more steps before playing than in the first game.

Ugh, pass.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

the thought of a golf game having a JRPG-style 1 hour intro before your first bit of combat is actually making me laugh, and without even playing the game

they got jokes! so i guess that's a success on their part

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
just got into chapter 2, sports story rules sorry

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Are there any upgrade/replacements available for the Switch N64 controllers stick? I'm worried it's going to grind to dust like the old ones.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Golf story erased my file halfway through

It was barely an ok game before that but I had literally nothing else to play after botw. Don't buy into the hype, game is mid at best and could have been made during the GBA era (I don't say that as a compliment though usually it is)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Monster Sanctuary has me hooked on building monster teams. The synergy aspect of building teams in this is so satisfying. I am glad I decided to give this game another chance when I had the Pokémon bug.

This game rules so hard.

Also I’m so glad I’ve gotten over my life long aversion to spending gold in video games. Monster Sanctuary let’s you respec/boost levels/ warp around the world, it’s all consumables but they’re cheap to buy and I’m loving it. Instead of sitting on lots of skill points for ten levels to finish my builds, I spent the points as I leveled up and when I hit my target level spent 3% of my gold to redo my skill tree.

gently caress yea! Spend gold!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

American McGay posted:

Golf Story is only notable because it came out during the first 6 months of the Switch when 20 million people owned a Switch and only had one game to play on it. It’s mildly charming and doesn’t overstay its welcome but it’s a messy concoction of 3 different genres that does each one notably worse than the types of games it’s trying to be.

$6 is probably the right price.

Nail on the head right here, $6 is the most you would want to spend on Golf Story in the year of our lord 2022. If it was still 2017 it would be a no brainer, but there are so many good Switch games these days that you aren’t missing anything if you skip Golf Story. It’s a fun game for what it is, though, you can’t go wrong at $6.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
golf story is pretty fun. i recommennd buying it for a reasonable amount of money because it was pretty fun. my advice is to play it like a normal person

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

For me what initially hooked me was the really charming writing - it's goofy and weird, and the comic timing is on point. Having the text boxes move at different speeds, different font sizes, move around etc. to emphasize the humor was genius. And then it turned out the golf was pretty darn good (if a little easy to break once you understand all the tools at your disposal), the world and characters are fun, and the music is good too. The only downsides were the awful putting (easily fixed by just doing chip shots) and the other non-golf minigames, which all were awful to control (but thankfully mostly optional).

Wildtortilla posted:

Monster Sanctuary has me hooked on building monster teams. The synergy aspect of building teams in this is so satisfying. I am glad I decided to give this game another chance when I had the Pokémon bug.

This game rules so hard.

I picked up this game on sale recently as I've had a hankering for a good poke-style game but haven't liked the direction the official Pokemon games have taken, and I like the game well enough so far... But I can't get over the music. It's absolutely terrible and grates on me hard. I might return to it and just mute the game and put on a podcast when I feel up to it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main problem i have with sports story is that i read pretty quick and i cant skip ahead on the text boxes. they should add that in the options. thank you

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Wildtortilla posted:

This game rules so hard.

Also I’m so glad I’ve gotten over my life long aversion to spending gold in video games. Monster Sanctuary let’s you respec/boost levels/ warp around the world, it’s all consumables but they’re cheap to buy and I’m loving it. Instead of sitting on lots of skill points for ten levels to finish my builds, I spent the points as I leveled up and when I hit my target level spent 3% of my gold to redo my skill tree.

gently caress yea! Spend gold!

If anybody is interested in playing what would happen if you mixed Castlevania and Pokemon, they should absolutely get Monster Sanctuary. theres some first class monster designs in there too, many available very early, such as Catzerker! Monster Sanctuary does indeed rule.

also ya the old method of encouraging the player to do resource hoarding via idk... a sense of anticipation? suxx. it wasnt even a thing in a surprising amount of the old RPG type games, it was just a habit a lot of us did or a poor mindset idk. Im glad you got to experience a new kind of playstyle on top of everything else the game has to offer.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

KingSlime posted:

Golf story erased my file halfway through

Lol owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the main problem i have with sports story is that i read pretty quick and i cant skip ahead on the text boxes. they should add that in the options. thank you

Yeah that's another one of the baffling changes from the first game. I just don't understand how they looked at the success of the first game and decided to double down on all its worst aspects in addition to just making it feel worse to play.