Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

bawk posted:

I'm getting the craving for a game where you incrementally improve on a place as time goes on, to expand out a business or town or something, but with very chill vibes. I've been playing Ixion lately and while it scratches all the itches for "managing resources in order to build a better and better place", the whole game has a constant streak of depressing locales and it seems to want to prod you along at a good clip. I stayed around gathering as much resources as I could/saving people in the first star system, and the game basically called me out on it and gave me a permanent debuff to my population. I just want to research new housing and extract minerals :(

I've seen quite a few management games through Steam, but I can't really tell which ones are a no-time-limit fun city-builder and which ones are going to put the pressure on. Lots of people compared Ixion to Frostpunk, so I don't know if that's going to be more or less stressful.

Doesn't necessarily need to be a citysim either, I moreso just want to be handed a piece of poo poo beginner's building/hub/city/ship/whatever and turn it into a really cool lived-in space. The only catch is I don't want it to disappear immediately after I'm done interacting with it, so not something like powerwash simulator or house flipper where you finish the job and then click "Job Complete" and never see the place again. I've played Portia, Cozy Grove, Animal Crossing, Bear and Breakfast, all of those hit pretty close to what I'm looking for but I haven't found something to capture my attention. I'm surprised nobody's made a proper Tavern or Blacksmithing fantasy shop game, i've seen a couple EA titles but nothing that's just done already.

Since you didn't like Ixion, you will not like Frostpunk. Frostpunk is a dystopia where everything is frozen and life sucks. You can make good choices in the game if you are familiar enough with it's systems; but it's pretty common for everyone to freeze to death your first try. I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Conversely, Littlewood sounds like exactly what you are looking for. It's a cozy indy game. It's finished and hasn't had an update in 2 years, so very stable. The main gameplay loop is gathering resources to build houses for new villagers. The whole focus of the game is on improving your village. You can also talk to and eventually date all the villagers in your town as well as visit a few other locations in the wider world.

Since you've played SV, you've probably played Rune Factory 4, but I'll mention it as an option in case you haven't.

For tavern games, the best current option is probably Traveller's Rest. It's been in EA for over 2 years so there's plenty of content. The art style is almost aggressively bland, but if you can look past that, it has a really satisfying loop of opening your tavern during the day and then spending the evening/night cooking/brewing new dishes to serve or building new tables or buying and placing other furniture and improvements. Mid game you gain the ability to hire people to do a lot of the tavern tending for you so you can spend more time cooking/brewing/making improvements. You have complete control over when your tavern is open and can even leave it closed all day if you want to focus on one of the other tasks for a bit.

You've probably already heard of it, but Worker's and Resources is a very detailed city builder.

If you ask in the management games thread you'll likely get some more answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

bawk posted:

I'm getting the craving for a game where you incrementally improve on a place as time goes on, to expand out a business or town or something, but with very chill vibes. I've been playing Ixion lately and while it scratches all the itches for "managing resources in order to build a better and better place", the whole game has a constant streak of depressing locales and it seems to want to prod you along at a good clip. I stayed around gathering as much resources as I could/saving people in the first star system, and the game basically called me out on it and gave me a permanent debuff to my population. I just want to research new housing and extract minerals :(

I've seen quite a few management games through Steam, but I can't really tell which ones are a no-time-limit fun city-builder and which ones are going to put the pressure on. Lots of people compared Ixion to Frostpunk, so I don't know if that's going to be more or less stressful.

Doesn't necessarily need to be a citysim either, I moreso just want to be handed a piece of poo poo beginner's building/hub/city/ship/whatever and turn it into a really cool lived-in space. The only catch is I don't want it to disappear immediately after I'm done interacting with it, so not something like powerwash simulator or house flipper where you finish the job and then click "Job Complete" and never see the place again. I've played Portia, Cozy Grove, Animal Crossing, Bear and Breakfast, all of those hit pretty close to what I'm looking for but I haven't found something to capture my attention. I'm surprised nobody's made a proper Tavern or Blacksmithing fantasy shop game, i've seen a couple EA titles but nothing that's just done already.

Dwarf Fortress? It can be very chill if you pick the right biome.

You might have played it already, but Graveyard Keeper is also all about incremental upgrades to your various businesses and workshops. There's zero time pressure since none of the quests ever expire and your stuff doesn't deteriorate, so you're free to work towards whatever you feel like. And there's a LOT to work towards.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 25, 2022

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

bawk posted:

I have just discovered and will recommend Wilmot's Warehouse.

You are given a large space and a bunch of products to organize in whatever way you see fit, then find and deliver the products to people who ask for it. You are given total control of how you want to organize the warehouse, get some incremental upgrades, and even though there is light time pressure there is never a fail state. A shipment comes in, you are given a couple minutes to distribute it, and then you are given another couple minutes to make deliveries. The best trick it pulls is every three deliveries, you do a "stock take" where you are given an unlimited amount of time to reorganize and reshuffle your warehouse before starting the next round. I spent hours organizing and re-organizing everything and even making my own little supply line for how to handle shipments and determine what to stock. None of this was explicitly told to me, I just naturally created it out of the small toolbox they gave me, and I normally don't have the kind of brain that enjoys work/management sim games. It's also dirt cheap and on everything.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

bawk posted:

I'm getting the craving for a game where you incrementally improve on a place as time goes on, to expand out a business or town or something, but with very chill vibes. .

Have you checked out Spiritfarer, op?

Also may fit the vibe but in a smaller timespan - Far: Lone Sails

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

bawk posted:

Have you tried Banished or Patron? Those are decent city simulators although they have failure spirals like most of those sorts of games do. Awhile back someone recommended Necesse, and it's a good blend of adventuring and building a village or base, too.

It's a little out of the range of your ideas but I got "I was a teenager exocolonist" recently. It's more of a choose your own adventure game. I'm unfinished with even my first run of it, but it definitely checks off both lived in space, and a sense of developing community.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

LLSix posted:

I haven't enjoyed the last couple of games I tried and have been musing on how to phrase what I'm looking for. I'm looking for games that give you tools to solve problems and then get out of the way.

Kind of a long shot, but Heaven's Vault gave me strong feelings of this. It mostly plays like an adventure game where you slowly decipher an ancient language by recovering fragments of text, and you have to piece together the vocabulary along with the history of the civilization that created it. It hits a pretty good balance where the game gives you some pointers to keep you on the right track (it's a bit like the system in Obra Dinn, where the game will eventually give you confirmation on your guesses if you get enough of them right) but otherwise it trusts you to figure things out mostly on your own, and manages to keep that vibe even as you move through a storyline that has some branches and choices but otherwise plays out relatively linear.

There's also Caves of QUD, which is basically post-apocalyptic Dwarf Fortress adventure mode, and things can get pretty batshit insane once you start combining buffs and weapons. It's got a pretty steep learning curve, but if you're familiar with DF you'll probably get the hang of it quickly enough.

Another option is Kenshi, if you haven't tried it yet. A big world to explore and no real expectations on what to do with your miserable life. You can set your own goals and there's plenty of different builds that will turn you into various kinds of Fist-of-the-North-Star-ish monstrosities after enduring incalculable amounts of pain.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

bawk posted:

I think you might want to play Tropico. There are challenge scenarios in Tropico, but they're not stressful like Frostpunk can be. The default game is hard to lose, but you can even go to the settings and turn down any of the things that might make things risky. I really haven't seen any other current citybuilding games that measure up to it.

I can't really vouch for 6 since I haven't played it, so far as I've heard, the whole series has been more of the same since 3. You might be happier if you pick up Tropico 4 and all the DLCs for cheap instead. I feel like especially with these games where most of the important aspects are on a spreadsheet, there's often not really that much that newer incarnations add beyond visual flair.

Other interesting city games are the Anno series (which has a lot more feeding resources from one industry into another but also a lot more math and commerce), Timberborn (early access, no commerce, and it's not exactly stressful but the game is largely about managing your water supply through periodic droughts), or Surviving Mars.

Branching out from cities, there's Project Highrise, which is about building a multipurpose skyscraper and filling it with businesses, and Two Point Hospital, which is a silly game where you build a hospital. Based on the older game Theme Hospital. Recettear and Moonlighter have the gimmick of running a shop that you steadily expand where you sell things that you get from the other part of the game where you go dungeoncrawling. Spiritfarer is a beautiful game where you build your boat up and out as you ferry a bunch of characters around in the afterlife.

LLSix posted:

I haven't enjoyed the last couple of games I tried and have been musing on how to phrase what I'm looking for. I'm looking for games that give you tools to solve problems and then get out of the way.

I think the main keyword you might be looking for is "systems-driven" as opposed to being "scripted". There's a lot out there, but it can be kinda hard to ferret them out. Some call themselves "immersive sims" like Prey(2017) or the original Thief games. Metal Gear Solid V is also one of the best.

I think Punch Club might also have some appeal to you.

If you want to go full "game drops you off into its systems and you figure out how to use it" you might be interested in jumping into Paradox games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i am going on a 3 week trip and my only form of personal entertainment will be my nintendo switch. i have almost never touched my nintendo switch. what are good games on the switch that are easy for me to pick up and drop down frequently as my adhd addled brain demands? also, i'm unlikely to have internet access good enough for online gaming.

games i've got:
-hollow knight
-oxenfree
-stardew valley
-triangle strategy
-breath of the wild
-mario odyssey

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Luigi's Mansion 3
Hyrule Warriors Defintive Edition if you want something that could take you literally a year to chip away at mission by mission.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the main keyword you might be looking for is "systems-driven" as opposed to being "scripted". There's a lot out there, but it can be kinda hard to ferret them out. Some call themselves "immersive sims" like Prey(2017) or the original Thief games. Metal Gear Solid V is also one of the best.

I'm gonna recommend Heat Signature as one of my favorites of these games. You have a mission, tools, and your cleverness/creativity/WHOOPS-recovery to serve you. Sometimes it seems like a mission is impossible without a particular tool, but there's probably something you can with what you have, if you get creative. For example, in one mission I had to capture an armored person. Armor protects them from conventional weapons, and the melee weapons that penetrate armor also happen to penetrative human organs, so those won't work for capturing.

The "obvious" solution would be to use an acid trap, get them to walk over it to strip the armor, and then knock them out with a blunt melee weapon. I didn't have one of those, so I brought a concussion hammer along. They don't hurt guards, but they do send them flying across a room. I lured the target to a room with a window and smacked him right through it, which left him drifting helplessly in space. I jumped out after him and remote controlled my pod to pick us both up.

I also enjoy when I can complete an assassination mission by stealthing my way to the ship's teleportation pad, subverting (hacking) it, then setting off the alarm on purpose. The target will attempt to use it to escape, but whoops, now it just teleports people into space :D

It's a rare infiltration game that gives you some legit challenging problems to solve (and the tools to solve them, however you can manage), and it actually becomes more interesting if you gently caress up and get spotted, because the game is designed around the idea of the player improvising and using game systems to their advantage when the straightforward approach fails. If you tried to take a stealthy approach, but then got spotted and your slapdash backup plan somehow accomplished the objective, blew up half the ship and left you floating in space, then hey, a win's a win.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Heat Signature is genuinely fantastic. I liked Gunpoint well enough but HS turned me into a Tom Francis fan for life

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

i am going on a 3 week trip and my only form of personal entertainment will be my nintendo switch. i have almost never touched my nintendo switch. what are good games on the switch that are easy for me to pick up and drop down frequently as my adhd addled brain demands? also, i'm unlikely to have internet access good enough for online gaming.

games i've got:
-hollow knight
-oxenfree
-stardew valley
-triangle strategy
-breath of the wild
-mario odyssey

Yoku's island express is pretty fun as a pinball-metroid

Super mega baseball 3 if you're into baseball. You can quit and resume a game between pitches, it has a season and franchise mode if you want something long term, has separate 0-100 level customizable difficulty for each of pitching/fielding/hitting/running, and is a pretty drat good baseball game in general.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Heat Signature is genuinely fantastic. I liked Gunpoint well enough but HS turned me into a Tom Francis fan for life

Heat Signature IS fantastic. I'm a bit sad that it'll never get a sequel.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The sequel is Tactical Breach Wizards, just as the sequel to Gunpoint is Heat Signature.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Yoku's island express is pretty fun as a pinball-metroid

Super mega baseball 3 if you're into baseball. You can quit and resume a game between pitches, it has a season and franchise mode if you want something long term, has separate 0-100 level customizable difficulty for each of pitching/fielding/hitting/running, and is a pretty drat good baseball game in general.

Super Mega Baseball is fantastic. Granted the last baseball game I'd played was probably Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball for SNES, but SMB3 it basically the baseball game I'd always wanted to exist. It's the baseball version of a sim-lite racing game, where the intent is to capture the feel and strategy of the sport without actually simulating every detail as realistically as possible. It's fantastic. Also I appreciate it having a 1990s Japanese arcade game title as a sincere title in 2020.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

Super Mega Baseball is fantastic. Granted the last baseball game I'd played was probably Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball for SNES, but SMB3 it basically the baseball game I'd always wanted to exist. It's the baseball version of a sim-lite racing game, where the intent is to capture the feel and strategy of the sport without actually simulating every detail as realistically as possible. It's fantastic. Also I appreciate it having a 1990s Japanese arcade game title as a sincere title in 2020.

I have all 3 of them and the improvements in each sequel were really good. The game is fun to play without ever being too crunchy. The only bit I didn't like about franchise mode was the offseason, but even that was manageable and I don't know how they'd improve on it.

Oh I also accidentally removed the blowfish from my game by customizing them to be a sunnyvale trailer park team. The modifications get saved for online and the blowfish were permanently gone. Can't copy/paste custom players to other teams at will either :(

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 26, 2022

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Anyone who hasn't tried Death Stranding can get it for free today, on PC, at Epic Games store (non directors cut edition).

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 26, 2022

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I got some Steam cards for xmas. Just bought Stray. I still have $25 burning a hole in my steam wallet. My budget is always limited and I try to get the most bangs for my buck.

PC only. I'd like single player, open world, exploration, no base building, no army building, no parenthood, no Assassin's Creed. I want a world to gently caress around in, with a main quest to get around to eventually when I get curious/bored enough. I've looked at Horizon Zero Dawn many times, but it's never appealed to me enough to put money on it. MMOs are a no-go because my internet is satellite and it's just not good enough.

Games I have the most hours in: Skyrim, RDR2, Witcher3, CP2077. Also Don't Starve, but I'm really not in the mood for pure (or mostly) survival games.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ninjewtsu posted:

games i've got:
-hollow knight
-oxenfree
-stardew valley
-triangle strategy
-breath of the wild
-mario odyssey
There's a bajillion good indie games on Switch. I like a good roguelite like Nuclear Throne or Enter the Gungeon; Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, and Slay the Spire are also popular in that area.

Into the Breach is also a roguelite, but the gameplay is relatively unique, it's sort of a puzzle Advance Wars where you know every enemy move the turn before it happens. Hard as hell though.

Of course there's a bunch of major Nintendo titles that are well thought of as well: two Mario XCOM games, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2/3, Super Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury, etc.

What kind of games do you like?

Edit: Nintendolife's eShop select articles are sort of like a review roundup of good games each month: https://www.nintendolife.com/tags/eshop-selects

Just note that their own scores tend to lean high.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 26, 2022

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Filox posted:

I got some Steam cards for xmas. Just bought Stray. I still have $25 burning a hole in my steam wallet. My budget is always limited and I try to get the most bangs for my buck.

PC only. I'd like single player, open world, exploration, no base building, no army building, no parenthood, no Assassin's Creed. I want a world to gently caress around in, with a main quest to get around to eventually when I get curious/bored enough. I've looked at Horizon Zero Dawn many times, but it's never appealed to me enough to put money on it. MMOs are a no-go because my internet is satellite and it's just not good enough.

Games I have the most hours in: Skyrim, RDR2, Witcher3, CP2077. Also Don't Starve, but I'm really not in the mood for pure (or mostly) survival games.

If you haven't played Death Stranding before, the difficulty is adjustable (which makes some elements like managing balance and weight a bit less tedious) and the survival elements are basically limited to 'carry an extra pair of shoes', as well as stop and rest at major cities or distro centres to regain stamina. A number of game mechanics are locked behind story progression (access to different vehicles, weapons, etc). Once you start fighting enemies you also need to carry blood bags and different types of ammo if you decide that you want to fight. In regards to 'parenthood' you never really need to look after the character who is with you except for a few narrative based missions, or on occasions where you get totally wrecked by enemies and need to care for it briefly - it has no hunger or health of its own. The real focus is more on managing the quality of your deliveries, and figuring out efficient pathways between different locations.

Since you like Skyrim, you might enjoy Morrowind or Oblivion since they're in the same series. The gameplay mechanics of Morrowind are different to Oblivion and Skyrim - combat is dice-roll based, you might miss attacks on an enemy who is standing right in front of you if you have low stamina or skill with that weapon (actually, the success of almost every action in Morrowind is effected by stamina). I know you said you had poor internet, but there are a lot of mods for Morrowind which can expand the gameplay or change the mechanics, including changing it to real time combat, and removing or reducing the effects of things like weapon degradation or enchantments. Some of them are pretty small, this one is only 27kb https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46993?tab=description. Most importantly, Morrowind has a main quest which can be totally ignored, and you will still become very powerful doing your own thing. From memory, there aren't any special skills or abilities hidden behind main quest only missions (though there are a few decent items) - IMO this would be the best value for money because Oblivion and Morrownd are already pretty big, and both have a huge amount of free mods to extend the game. If you ever do get better internet access, there are also some larger graphical improvement mods which make Morrowind look just about on par with Skyrim.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is an open world game with a fairly strong narrative, but also a lot of side quests and places to visit. One of the big features is the companion system, where you create someone to travel with you who learns about enemies and can develop tactics based on how you fight. You can also hire other people wandering around the world (if you were playing online, these would be characters created by other people, and your own companion can also be hired even while you aren't playing). It has a kind of 'monster hunter' vibe where you and your companions take on very large enemies, and do things like hold their attention while someone else goes for the weak point. You can just wander around the countryside checking places out and finding things for yourself. There are multiple classes and tiers who can learn new abilities, which can be switched between at some major cities (no need to worry about making a brand new character for a different class). It also has some interesting item interactions and combinations, like if you throw a pot of oil at an enemy they become more flammable and now the fire arrows you made are more effective.

Yakuza series might be something you'd enjoy. I've only seen people play these games, and haven't played them myself, but it seems closer to a beat-em-up than something like the GTA series, because there is no driving in the ones that I've seen, and you go around doing 'other stuff' like little mini games (karaoke, darts, gambling, speed dating) in between the narrative bits. There are a bunch of games in the series including prequels, and because of the changes in narrative direction it has been renamed to 'Like A Dragon' e.g 'Yakuza 0' was released in 2015 AFTER 'Yakuza 5', and 'Yakuza: Like A Dragon' was released in 2020.

Mad Max is an open world game where you focus on developing your car for fighting in more than your character (that might be considered 'base building'?). There are enemy camps and places to visit around the world to claim more resources, and it's fairly action focused.

Elden Ring might be enjoyable. There is a mostly open world, it can be played offline, the whole thing is narrative driven but it isn't really forced upon you very hard - The games in that Dark Souls-y universe/style are kind of vague about the narrative outside of major character interactions, and I've known people who have completed them and had absolutely no idea what the story was, which didn't negatively effect their experience. Some elements of progression are locked behind major boss encounters but there are also a lot of optional ones. Your character can't use certain items and skills until they level up their stats enough (so maybe never depending on your character build in that play through).

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 26, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Filox posted:

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas? One of the best RPGs ever, and the ultimate edition is on sale for $5.

ninjewtsu posted:

games i've got:
-hollow knight
-oxenfree
-stardew valley
-triangle strategy
-breath of the wild
-mario odyssey

Darkest Dungeon on the Switch plays extremely well. Each expedition is about 20 minutes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chamale posted:

Darkest Dungeon on the Switch plays extremely well. Each expedition is about 20 minutes.

Dead cells is pretty good as well, and a heck of a lot less punishing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cicero posted:

There's a bajillion good indie games on Switch. I like a good roguelite like Nuclear Throne or Enter the Gungeon; Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, and Slay the Spire are also popular in that area..

Is Rogue Legacy on the Switch? Highly recommend that if it is.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is Rogue Legacy on the Switch? Highly recommend that if it is.

I think the sequel came out for it a month or two ago

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Rogue Legacy 2 is an all around improvement on the original game, play that one if you're interested.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so i also kind of want a city/town management. im trying to decide between rimworld, medieval dynasty, aven colony or surviving mars.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so i also kind of want a city/town management. im trying to decide between rimworld, medieval dynasty, aven colony or surviving mars.

related, what stuff along these lines is good on the switch?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i will say a good single-town management game i picked up recently was grow: song of the evertree. you live in a tree that gives you access to small towns to decorate, create jobs while creating and farming worlds on the branches of the tree. not very complicated but has a very chill grind that i keep coming back to. i bought the pc version and then bought it on switch because its a good game for tv/movies. same company as yonder chronicles

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

related, what stuff along these lines is good on the switch?

I think the king of city games right now is still Tropico, but there's also a Cities Skyline port. The other city games I've seen on Switch that I recognize are Surviving the Aftermath, Railroad Empire, and Project Highrise.

There's also a whole bunch of smaller things that I've never head of before so I don't really know much about it. And then there's Kairosoft games that I hear are okay although very formulaic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Prison Architect is also on Switch

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Any good Diablo likes (that aren't Diablo 3 or PoE ) anyone would recommend ?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

I'm still not over the loss of Marvel Heroes :cry:

Anyway, Grim Dawn is good poo poo, and it has full gamepad support if you want to kick back on the couch with it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shine posted:

Anyway, Grim Dawn is good poo poo, and it has full gamepad support if you want to kick back on the couch with it.

Would you recommend the DLCs or no?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The only optional one is Crucible IMHO. The other two have classes.

Edit: They're not required by any means, but more classes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

Would you recommend the DLCs or no?

Crucible is great if you like wave survival stuff. Otherwise, the base game has plenty of content, and you can always add the DLC later if you want More Stuff.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shine posted:

ah god dammit, how did i play this for 20 hours and not know about gamepad support. now to reinstall :shepface:

Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions, I tried out a few of the options given and am currently playing through Timberborn/Two Point Hospital. The former so I can build a big beaver city, the latter because while it does eventually shuffle you on to the next level after earning 3 stars, I like the idea that I can come back to any of my hospitals and just entirely reshuffle things/see how I used to build stuff as time goes on.

The thing that finally got its hooks in lately though is Core Keeper. It's EA, but there's enough going on that I felt OK breaking my no-EA rule after trying it out for an hour. To the point that I'm quoting here:

LLSix posted:

Examples of games that do this well:
Factorio gives you a set of basic tools that you use to unlock slightly more complicated tools and then leaves the rest to the player. You also have a general goal (launch a rocket) but most of the minute to minute game play is building towards the next sub-goal that is player selected. Having some sort of over-arching goal or narrative is something I like, but I don't want it to be too heavy handed.

Core Keeper's been doing this in a pretty swell way. The game starts, you're in a hole, there's a big core. There's 3 statues surrounding it, the core says that it needs power, there's holes in the statues for gems and the statues have names written on them that sound a lot like bosses. There's some dirt, some wood, and you can smack some wood together to make wood tools and torches. Go.

So far I've killed one of the 3 bosses and found the other 2, although I'm not sure how I'm going to kill either of them yet because one of them seems to always be on the move and the other just has so many loving monsters that it spawns that I'm having a hard time juggling enemies + the boss's attacks. But I've put in 9 hours today, built myself a little farm, a little house, decked myself out in mid-tier gear and ventured deep into an area I'm definitely not supposed to be yet and found a gun that one-or-two shots everything :feelsgood: You can follow the general curve the game offers you by collecting X material, then Y material, then Z material, but I skipped straight to Z material at some point and the game had no issues with me sequence breaking a little bit. It feels like Terraria, but if instead of it being flat 2D like Super Mario Bros it's more a Legend of Zelda 2D.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

bawk posted:

Core Keeper's been doing this in a pretty swell way.

Core Keeper is an incredibly good multiplayer game fwiw even though I didn't care much playing it on single player.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

I played Dark and Darker over the free player test weekend and dear god it's everything I'd ever wanted in a game.

I've since spent an hour crawling through Steam like a junkie ripping up the sofa looking for a lost crack rock

Any ideas?

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

SirKibbles posted:

I bought chronicon a couple of days ago, thinking what the hell, its 10$ and overwhelmingly positive. I liked it quite a bit, you dont have to invest alot of time in it to progress and its got charming pixel graphics and music, if youre into that sort of thing. Tried to get into POE for the last 3 leagues and lost interest after a couple of hours and played this for a couple of days straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

bawk posted:

The thing that finally got its hooks in lately though is Core Keeper. It's EA, but there's enough going on that I felt OK breaking my no-EA rule after trying it out for an hour. To the point that I'm quoting here:

Core Keeper's been doing this in a pretty swell way. The game starts, you're in a hole, there's a big core. There's 3 statues surrounding it, the core says that it needs power, there's holes in the statues for gems and the statues have names written on them that sound a lot like bosses. There's some dirt, some wood, and you can smack some wood together to make wood tools and torches. Go.

So far I've killed one of the 3 bosses and found the other 2, although I'm not sure how I'm going to kill either of them yet because one of them seems to always be on the move and the other just has so many loving monsters that it spawns that I'm having a hard time juggling enemies + the boss's attacks. But I've put in 9 hours today, built myself a little farm, a little house, decked myself out in mid-tier gear and ventured deep into an area I'm definitely not supposed to be yet and found a gun that one-or-two shots everything :feelsgood: You can follow the general curve the game offers you by collecting X material, then Y material, then Z material, but I skipped straight to Z material at some point and the game had no issues with me sequence breaking a little bit. It feels like Terraria, but if instead of it being flat 2D like Super Mario Bros it's more a Legend of Zelda 2D.

Yeah, Core Keeper was pretty great. It's a very easy game to play but there are some real neat tricks you can pull off.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Kind of a long shot, but Heaven's Vault gave me strong feelings of this. It mostly plays like an adventure game where you slowly decipher an ancient language by recovering fragments of text, and you have to piece together the vocabulary along with the history of the civilization that created it. It hits a pretty good balance where the game gives you some pointers to keep you on the right track (it's a bit like the system in Obra Dinn, where the game will eventually give you confirmation on your guesses if you get enough of them right) but otherwise it trusts you to figure things out mostly on your own, and manages to keep that vibe even as you move through a storyline that has some branches and choices but otherwise plays out relatively linear.

I've been meaning to play Heaven's Vault for awhile. Maybe it's time to give it a try.

Thanks for the other suggestions everyone.