Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

cgeq posted:

I'm trying to think of a way to roleplay Harry as a monarchist for that fascist vision quest and now I'm wondering if I can square that with being a commie that's too dumb to understand he's a commie.

We are all dumb. That's what makes developing so magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

cgeq posted:

I'm trying to think of a way to roleplay Harry as a monarchist for that fascist vision quest and now I'm wondering if I can square that with being a commie that's too dumb to understand he's a commie.

Also many people do
what benefits them. It's a disease called cynicism.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Sit on my Jace posted:

That's 100% my read on him. Trant's view on politics seems to mostly be that it's interesting, in the same way that a weird bug or a lost computer prototype is interesting.

He's a 1st-worlder doing poverty tourism, which at worst tasteless. He's more emotionally invested in obscure tech projects than the sheer volume of death surrounding them, which is how I imagine a lot of dorks touring the soviet bloc came accross as

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
If we don't let train-citizens to contribute we end up losing train-citizens.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

je1 healthcare posted:

He's a 1st-worlder doing poverty tourism, which at worst tasteless. He's more emotionally invested in obscure tech projects than the sheer volume of death surrounding them, which is how I imagine a lot of dorks touring the soviet bloc came accross as

IIRC Trant lives in Revachol and regularly works with the RCM to the point where he was considered part of a task force in one of the worst districts in the city. I don't think 'poverty tourist' is an accurate description.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s really not an accurate description and despite this threads claims I’m 99% sure Price never said anything about a revolution, he could’ve been referring to the narco state that is now inside their jurisdiction when referring to the changes coming

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

i am a moron posted:

It’s really not an accurate description and despite this threads claims I’m 99% sure Price never said anything about a revolution, he could’ve been referring to the narco state that is now inside their jurisdiction when referring to the changes coming

Continuing to live up to your username.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

i am a moron posted:

It pops up in a Shivers check at the very end of the game. Him and the precinct doc are talking about which cops are gonna be down to disco when The Revolution Comes, and I think Price is adamant that Harry is on board no matter which way you play. He actually says that every single cop in the precinct is down, actually...other than their candy-rear end technocrat advisor Trant, may Allah forsake him.

There's a decent amount of poo poo like that throughout the game, random asides or Shiver-checks that reference stuff that isn't relevant to the case, but seems like it might be setting up a sequel. So nothing that will ever come to fruition in any way, shape or form, never ever, from now until the heat death of the universe.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t think they actually say revolution but I am welcome to be proven wrong

Edit: also very sure that is an espirit de corps checks

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 29, 2022

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
There's also an Esprit passive earlier in the game, I think when you find the weapons cache, referencing one of the ace detectives at Station 41at the site of another cache in Jamrock, this one full of working weapons, with the implication that he's unloading it for preparation for...events to come.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

There is absolutely references to things changing via espirit, but the revolution connection is in the somewhat tenuous idea RCM is derived from a communist government vs cops getting ready for whatever changes are coming to Revachol which Harry is experiencing first hand. and imo could mean everything to another communist revolution to Revachol revolting against the disclical hegemony as whatever it is now which is certainly not communist at all

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Trants non inculsion on the list is likely due to the fact that he is an absolute loving weiner vs the psycho rear end motherfuckers that comprise the rest of the station

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The end-game espirit check changes depending on your political orientation. If you're a communist Pryce says Harry will side with "the people", Moralist Harry will side with the RCM, Fascist Harry will side with Revachol, and ultraliberal Harry is, I kid you not, described as having always been "money over bitches".

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

No poo poo. My most recent run was moralist, but I did a full blown communist run before that with the side quest and didn’t start questioning this thread’s interpretation until my last run. Explains my opinion on this. What a loving game lmao

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

Continuing to live up to your username.

Also gently caress off with this poo poo and play the game more than once

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have a theory that most peoples' First Harry is a sorry cop-communist or maybe moralist, because the average human being is not ready to plumb the depths that are required to play the real Harry DuBois.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Youremother posted:

The end-game espirit check changes depending on your political orientation. If you're a communist Pryce says Harry will side with "the people", Moralist Harry will side with the RCM, Fascist Harry will side with Revachol, and ultraliberal Harry is, I kid you not, described as having always been "money over bitches".

This is why I think the coming revolution might not be communist so much as it would be nationalist: a big tent coalition to kick the Coalition out of Revachol. It would probably look something like the Kuomintang.

Does anyone know if the book deals with Revachol? IIRC it takes place in the 70s so that might clear up some confusion here.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have not read the book but I have heard that it has the second revolution succeeding and the Coalition nuking Revachol for it.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

i am a moron posted:

Trants non inculsion on the list is likely due to the fact that he is an absolute loving weiner vs the psycho rear end motherfuckers that comprise the rest of the station

Trant would kick ur rear end broooooo

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Youremother posted:

I have not read the book but I have heard that it has the second revolution succeeding and the Coalition nuking Revachol for it.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Getting so mad that your five thousand year plan towards Actually Existing Social Democracy is dashed by people who think it's loving stupid that you condemn them all to nuclear fire.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well, what would you do if the price of bread became unstable?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Nationalise industries and institute strict state-mandated price controls probably. Then get a 5-year plan out asap with one of the main priorities being ensuring a steady food supply with as much of it produced domestically as possible.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Youremother posted:

I have a theory that most peoples' First Harry is a sorry cop-communist or maybe moralist, because the average human being is not ready to plumb the depths that are required to play the real Harry DuBois.

I endorse that theory, especially for goons, since we've largely become a repentant, sorry lot of leftists as we enter gracelessly into our middle adulthood and leave behind years of tomfoolish goonery.

MariusLecter posted:

Learn to bake our own bread so that I and my fellow anarcho-communards may be shot into total oblivion with stomachs full of sourdough.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MariusLecter posted:

Steal bread.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I would simply handle it, tbqh

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Well the last ruling class to face that issue just asked about cake prices and it didn't end well for them. (novel spoiler) Nuclear hellfire could be seen as prudent in that context.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

MariusLecter posted:

Wouldn't happen under moralist governance following Dolorian principles that keep ze price stabilité under control. Communards will never understand this, that's why we have to do the needful to them. :colbert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I love you all so much. lol

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You can bake a lot of bread using either nuclear hellfire or a nuclear pile meltdown. Gamma radiation also helps create that coveted alveolar structure in the bread. The real anarchist's cookbook is an actual cookbook.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Caufman posted:

You can bake a lot of bread using either nuclear hellfire or a nuclear pile meltdown. Gamma radiation also helps create that coveted alveolar structure in the bread. The real anarchist's cookbook is an actual cookbook.

The People’s Pile was just a bakery gone awry.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Now you're baked on Pyrholidon, so it's really a net victory for the building of communism.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Revachol's main problem is the enormous endemic corruption resulting in you being unable to take five steps without meeting someone who is either trying to bribe or shake you down, or expecting you to do the same to them.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

it's a bit disheartening that the future of the disco game is in the hands of the justice system of perfidious albion, because who knows when we are getting something new of elysium (by the hands of the proper authors)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alchenar posted:

Revachol's main problem is the enormous endemic corruption resulting in you being unable to take five steps without meeting someone who is either trying to bribe or shake you down, or expecting you to do the same to them.

There's no playing with the hustle, either you're in or you starve.

[Portrait of Harry here with Shades of Self-Destruction on and NEVER TIRED tattooed under his eyes]

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Youremother posted:

I’m playing for the first time and idly scrolling through this thread on occasion and my First Harry is in fact a sorry cop communist, so I think you’re completely correct. I’m already excited to do a goofy fascist run.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
This is a song about the Hardie boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWMhrGf2ylw

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Hey what the heck

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

prayer group posted:

I’m playing for the first time and idly scrolling through this thread on occasion and my First Harry is in fact a sorry cop communist, so I think you’re completely correct. I’m already excited to do a goofy fascist run.

Same, I'm near the end of my first playthrough yet but I have all these plans for things I'm going to try on my next run. It's a good game.

midwifecrisis posted:

Hey what the heck

Genuinely how the gently caress did this happen :eyepop:

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 30, 2022

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

KORNOLOGY posted:

I've been thinking what if Harry was always commie and just didnt have the words. that the game itself shows how words are twisted and can end up fascist if ur not careful. Harry is too cute to be a raving fascist.

This but for the fact that he's queer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Also I never apologised on my first run, and did a poo poo load of drugs, because I am not a moral coward, I am a super cop