Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I don't understand stream physics in this game at all. It's like there is water there but it doesn't give you a depth number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Loving this new map generation. A Niagra-esque waterfall and huge isolated island that rises a dozen z-level above the water. Just chopped a hole just above water level and easy safe fishing spot. Only two issues so far. First is when the ice freezes over in the winter it leaves me somewhat open to a vulnerable angle, second is that just about every time I have visitors they bee-line for the waterfall. Then they fall over it and drown. There is a pile of a dozen bodies down there (lots of loot too) so far and it occasionally means we have to memorialize them to put their ghosts to rest. Still, this is about my favorite base yet.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Presenting our safe, pain free, enemy recycling system!

Time for the yearly goblin siege.

The drawbridge to the main entrance beyond the trade depot is always up. Enemies cannot get in this way. But wait!

It seems I've left this entirely unguarded (except for the cage traps) channel completely open! What a blunder. The enemies stream in this way.

Well, except for the few who get caught by the cage traps. They will be stripped of their gear and dealt with later.

As they take the staircase down, this bridge clamps down over that stairway entrance. No going back now. It would be rude to leave so soon after coming to visit.

It's a little over 150 levels down to the bottom entrance of the fortress. The last 20 levels or so are these criss-crossing bridges. Around the time enemies get to these bridges, I close up the bottom entrance with floodgates and bridges, ensuring no one actually gets into the fortress.

Levers 1 and 3 retract the top and bottom bridges, leaving the goblins stuck on the middle ones. This is a good time to make sure everyone (or close enough) is on the bridges, and make sure I've now closed all the gates at the bottom and there's no actual way in, before we pull Lever 2.

Lever 2, of course, retracts the remaining bridges, letting the enemies fall down into our Enemy Welcoming Chamber. Some explode on impact. They are probably the lucky ones. Down here are also the stripped and caged remnants of the last siege that came through. Dealing with both them and our new visitors at the same time increases efficiency!

The enemies that don't explode on impact are typically rendered immobile, making the next step quicker and easier for all. Running away only prolongs the process.

Of course, the stairway out of the Welcoming Chamber is now blocked as well.

And at this point the magma pumps turn on. Some of the iron gear will remain after the recycling process, and can be either used or smelted down for materials. Everything else, including the goblins, is recycled into more magma, a clean burning, environmentally friendly fuel that powers our smelters and forges!

We are still iterating on the process. I am expanding the number of bridges so that more enemies will hilariously explode on impact. Also adding in an atom smasher in the welcoming chamber, in the unlikely event someone is both magma and fall immune and needs to be dealt with in other ways.

Happy holidays!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I don't understand stream physics in this game at all. It's like there is water there but it doesn't give you a depth number?

very small streams don't actually have water depth unless you channel them out.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

HK5000 posted:

Loving this new map generation. A Niagra-esque waterfall and huge isolated island that rises a dozen z-level above the water. Just chopped a hole just above water level and easy safe fishing spot. Only two issues so far. First is when the ice freezes over in the winter it leaves me somewhat open to a vulnerable angle, second is that just about every time I have visitors they bee-line for the waterfall. Then they fall over it and drown. There is a pile of a dozen bodies down there (lots of loot too) so far and it occasionally means we have to memorialize them to put their ghosts to rest. Still, this is about my favorite base yet.

For information I tried a quite similar base design and in winter an ice wall formed downstream and the water level immediately rose and flooded my fort. Fun times

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I keep getting weird embarks. On my current one I hit semi-molten rock at -17, and the map still goes to -120 or so.

Does this mean that there's an absolute enormous underworld?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Had a pretty cool fort going on a wintery mountaintop, accidentally made some stairs into ice and drowned everyone while I was looking away. Oh well,

StarkRavingMad posted:

Happy holidays!

Merry :black101:mas

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Griz posted:

very small streams don't actually have water depth unless you channel them out.

I think those are listed as "brook" in embark screen. And the mechanic is that there is a "floor" on top of the tile that contains the water. Channeling gets rid of that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This little startup is killing itself via fps death caused by big projects :saddowns:

There's a lava channel filling up my lava moat:

Of course this lava is also flowing down from elevation 56 to elevation 11 through 2 channels which is a lot of liquid movement.

Then once the river freezes again I'm going to divert it off-map as well as into my base, and dam up the riverbed and probably fill it with lava later too.

But also I am carving sheer cliffside walls to the foyer area so that going over the lava bridge is the only choice to enter.

Also I tried to stick furniture, gems, and finished goods all in a quantum stockpile but I didn't really think it through; since gems and finished goods get stored in bins and you can only set a maximum of 1 bin to a 1x1 tile storage, my dwarves have been in a constant loop of shuffling these bins around for over a year that I've been too lazy to fix :kiddo:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Just call it strength training, no biggie

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I've yet to see a single one of those large gems in my forts. Are they all at deeper Z-levels?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

you can turn on the x/7 depth tile markers up next to the minimap upper right

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

I've yet to see a single one of those large gems in my forts. Are they all at deeper Z-levels?

Those in particular are polished stones made with the Make Large Rock Gem option at the craftdwarf. They're not worth much but stones are plentiful enough that you can use them for easy skill training and to inflate value early on :unsmith:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm happy that sites outside the fort exist and can become linked to it, but less so that there's no real interaction of meaning with it yet. I can't wait for DF to have some real empire management aspects.

A bit back, someone asked why the counts and barons and stuff hang around your fort being useless and the actual reason for this is that dwarfs have three types of site: deep halls inside cavern layers in mountains where they craft stuff, hillocks outside where they farm and fortresses, which serve as the link between them. Fortresses are the seat of dwarf administration and they're basically the equivalent of human castles: The nobles stay there because that's the place with the big walls, the soldiers and the wealth.

It's a shame that this stuff isn't really fleshed out yet: I can't wait for the time when getting a noble is a reason to celebrate the opening up of empire management rather than be slightly annoyed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, it's weird saying this about a game that's been around for 15+ years, but it's got a lot of potential.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Is it "worth" to demand a tribute from every civ on the map for the sake of making trade routes? It's one of those things that feels kind of cheaty like quantum stockpiles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NewMars posted:

I'm happy that sites outside the fort exist and can become linked to it, but less so that there's no real interaction of meaning with it yet. I can't wait for DF to have some real empire management aspects.

A bit back, someone asked why the counts and barons and stuff hang around your fort being useless and the actual reason for this is that dwarfs have three types of site: deep halls inside cavern layers in mountains where they craft stuff, hillocks outside where they farm and fortresses, which serve as the link between them. Fortresses are the seat of dwarf administration and they're basically the equivalent of human castles: The nobles stay there because that's the place with the big walls, the soldiers and the wealth.

It's a shame that this stuff isn't really fleshed out yet: I can't wait for the time when getting a noble is a reason to celebrate the opening up of empire management rather than be slightly annoyed.

Check out Songs of Syx if you haven't! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1162750/Songs_of_Syx/ (thread)

It's similar to Dwarf Fortress but scaled out to the point where you control a city of thousands (or tens of thousand) of pops, but where DF focuses on realistic world simulation, SoS focuses on the grand strategy aspects like this - Total War-style battles, a campaign map you can move armies around and capture territory in, (light) infrastructure management of off-site locations, demanding taxes and tributes for them, etc.

It's still in EA and also the product of an insane solo dev and the Grand Strategy stuff isn't fully fleshed out yet, but it's more fleshed out than it is in DF.

Note: The demo isn't a demo, it's the straight up full version of the game for free, but it lags 1-2 updates behind the paid version.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 26, 2022

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I have a number of guests enjoying cramped new quarters in my animal stockpile, how do I go about removing their coats and shoes into storage? (The coat closet looks a lot like a furnace)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

You can outright craft large gems (which just function as tradable goods) out of stone or whatever. It used to be you had a small chance of getting a large gem from cutting uncut gems but this does not seem to be in the steam version anymore — maybe a bug? I polished/cut some raw glass and got large glass gems out of some of those.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Is it "worth" to demand a tribute from every civ on the map for the sake of making trade routes? It's one of those things that feels kind of cheaty like quantum stockpiles.

It's a bit cheaty for sure since you can have a ton of caravans show up for trade. For instance I have 3 human caravans that arrive in spring (I think?) which means 3x the amount of goods to trade for. Whether you wish to play this way is a personal decision!

I also find the value of lavish meals to be gamey on its own but if you've ever been in a position where you can buy out an entire caravan with a few homecooked meals, well, now you can buy out multiple caravans instead!

Ash Rose posted:

I have a number of guests enjoying cramped new quarters in my animal stockpile, how do I go about removing their coats and shoes into storage? (The coat closet looks a lot like a furnace)

Designate the guests for dumping, then un-dump their actual housing. This will allow your dwarves to kindly take your guests' coats away while leaving the guests to their relaxation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This is how Imperial China worked

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I’d be happy to not use the basically cheating prepared meals to buy caravans if they weren’t more or less the only thing that’s easy to send to the trade depot. I hate how all my finished goods get mixed up, I want to sell my mugs but not my leather quivers and no I’m not clicking each individual mug of 1000.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Y'all need to start customising your stockpiles. It's very easy to set one up that ONLY takes stuff you want to trade (just make sure to disable them from the main finished goods stockpiles too)

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
You should be able to fix that by customizing your finished goods stockpile categories instead of using the default one. They'll probably still all be labeled finished goods bins, which makes telling them apart in the "bring to depot" menu hard, but you can just skip over those bins when designating items to be sold.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

GruntyThrst posted:

I’d be happy to not use the basically cheating prepared meals to buy caravans if they weren’t more or less the only thing that’s easy to send to the trade depot. I hate how all my finished goods get mixed up, I want to sell my mugs but not my leather quivers and no I’m not clicking each individual mug of 1000.

Trick there is setting up your stockpiles to keep them separate in the first place. Since you can set up stockpiles for both item and material you can even make one type of goblet specifically for your fort's use and yet keep it out of your trade supply!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

You can make a large gem out of just about anything. When a noble requests a large gem I queue up a nice bone gem for him

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

thunderspanks posted:

Y'all need to start customising your stockpiles. It's very easy to set one up that ONLY takes stuff you want to trade (just make sure to disable them from the main finished goods stockpiles too)

I’m lazy though. Also IIRC the name of the stockpile in the trade menu doesn’t say the cosutom stockpile name, it reverts to Finished Good Stockpile #69 or whatever

Also hot tip on custom stockpiles there’s two little icons, one of a tiny tree and one of (I think) a metal bar. The tiny tree one if you click on it will make your stockpile elf safe!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Okay, I'm only a couple of years deep but I think building a badass library is what interests me the most. The only real way to kickstart my collection if I don't have any good writers is to keep the library chests stocked with quires so that some of the visiting nerds can write books, right? I thought I could also add some guest bedrooms to my library so the scholars would stay for longer, but the wiki says it's meant to work as a single-zone location. They didn't use the bedrooms I prepared, anyway.

I'm having trouble keeping a steady supply of quires since my farms are almost entirely useless (the only way to fertilize is potash, right?) so I've only managed to make paper from foraged hemp and the occasional animal skin.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Okay, I'm only a couple of years deep but I think building a badass library is what interests me the most. The only real way to kickstart my collection if I don't have any good writers is to keep the library chests stocked with quires so that some of the visiting nerds can write books, right? I thought I could also add some guest bedrooms to my library so the scholars would stay for longer, but the wiki says it's meant to work as a single-zone location. They didn't use the bedrooms I prepared, anyway.

I'm having trouble keeping a steady supply of quires since my farms are almost entirely useless (the only way to fertilize is potash, right?) so I've only managed to make paper from foraged hemp and the occasional animal skin.

I love libraries! They're such a fun extra thing to have in your fort. Visiting scholars will absolutely write stuff. You can also get a lot of books via raiding, or trade for scrolls and quires (ready to write on) or parchment/paper (easy to make into the former) from caravans. If you want to make paper yourself then you can grow pig tails and use them for slurry instead of cloth. (You can also stop auto-tanning skins into leather and use them to make parchment, but that requires quicklime -> milk of lime, but kind of like setting up soap-making business it's pretty easy to automate if you go that route). Keep in mind farms grown in cavern soil are a lot more efficient than farms grown anywhere else, and you can just wall off a section of a cavern if you want farming there to be safe.

Building a Library of Alexandria fort and exporting a bunch of written copies to spread across the world sounds pretty neat...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I got a forgotten beast with corrupted blood that seems to.... rot the liver of whoever got in contact with it? Is this gonna be an issue?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
a fate worse than death

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Giant came by while my squads were busy down in the mines, got bullied by a bunch of kids:

Edit: Three quarters of the combat log is just this:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
How accurate is the classic dwarf fortress wiki for the current steam release. I haven't encountered too many problems but I needed a refresher on aquifers and despite the wiki I now have a neat underwater part of my base. (I believe my problem was the ceiling/floor tiles above were also producing water, im still not entirely sure. )

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Mostly accurate. Obviously things about hotkeys and the interface won't be up to date, but a large majority of the game mechanics are still the same. Toady didn't keep a proper changelog, apparently, so even a lot of experienced players aren't really sure what all has changed. Also, some changes might be bugs, and some new bugs might look like intentional changes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Broken Cog posted:

So I got a forgotten beast with corrupted blood that seems to.... rot the liver of whoever got in contact with it? Is this gonna be an issue?

Im sorry, without thier liver they wont be able to drink alcohol anymore.

It might be best to euthanize them

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

How do I let these goblins out of their cages so my soldiers can beat on them? Removing their assignment from the placed cage makes a dwarf come and put the still-occupied cage back in the stockpile. Do they need to have like, a designated place first?

Edit: yup that did the trick The random child assigned to let him out had a rough go of it though. Kid walked himself down to the hospital before dying of blood loss on a hospital bed

johnny park fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 26, 2022

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Build the cage and attach it to a lever via mechanism, then pull the lever. Alternatively, you can drop them into a pit zone. I'm not sure if it still works in the new version, but the wiki has an article about how to do so with instructions from the non-steam versions.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Mass_pitting

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Thank you, I didn't know you could link levers to cages. That was definitely less messy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do I set my stockpiles to only take damaged items so I can more easily fob off the discarded clothing on traders?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is the trade screen bugged? I can see values for items, but it won't sum the values at the bottom of the screen. Kinda weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Are you selecting items for trade? Does the dwarf at the depot have any skill in appraiser? Appraiser skill gives you more accurate value estimates, and IIRC makes the trade value of an item closer to its actual value. Without appraiser skill you might not get the item's full value in a trade.