Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dressed to Kill the Film feels like a trial run for the much superior Blowout, with the Antonioni references replaced with Hitchcock. Caine feels like he doesn't understand what his part is or how to play it, the kid is just bad, and Angie Dickinson is taken from us too soon. It looks great and has some very tense scenes, even if it goes back to that well one too many times, but unless you need to watch every de Palma you shouldn't be in a rush.

Cape Fear (1991) Gonna be controversial and say that I prefer de Niro in this over Raging Bull, mostly because he seems to be having a blast instead of steeping in a stew of resentment and his failures. Dude saw the preacher man in Night of the Hunter and said yes, but bigger. Great time all around, Marty coming in and showing everyone how to make a tense thriller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Banshees of Inisherin is incredible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Throne of Blood Kurosawa proves here that strict adherence to the text is in many cases a detriment to the film. By letting himself free of everything but the absolute bones of the Macbeth story he's managed to paradoxically create the best, if I'm not in the mood to give it to Polanski, adaption of the play there is. I love how out of control Mifune is in his role, you can just feel the dishonor, ambition, and paranoia churning within him and tearing him apart, but it's his wife who serves as the one who sets him off. She is absolutely savage in this film, the most uncharitable portrayal I've ever seen of her. Fantastic film, with a great ending that proves once and again that CGI is worthless when you can just do the drat thing in real life.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Throne of Blood proves that cinema is better than theater. Eat poo poo Shakespeare.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

The Banshees of Inisherin is incredible

It’s so good. I really loved it too

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
In the mood for love

This movie was boring. It was well acted and shot but nothing really happened. I dunno, I love Chungking Express but every other War movie has been increasingly bleh.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I've never posted ITT but I want to do a better job thinking about the movies I see, so gonna try writing some thoughts down.

Christmas in Connecticut (1945) - 8/10: This is the second year I've watched this movie around Christmastime, and I think it'll become a tradition. Incredibly charming, frequently hilarious. Barbara Stanwyck is a God, and SZ Sakall and Sydney Greenstreet are fabulous.

Ball of Fire (1941) - 7/10: Watched this because I needed more Stanwyck and Sakall, and because a Letterboxd reviewer claimed that it was the most verbose and sexiest Howard Hawks movie. That Letterboxd reviewer is very wrong, imo, but this was still a lot of fun. Screwball at its screwiest - the plot is totally insane (mobster girlfriend shacks up with a bunch of professors assembling an encyclopedia, hijinks), and the dialogue is nonstop.

The Fallout (2021) - 7/10: Huge tone shift from the previous movies - movie starring Jenna Ortega as a school shooting survivor trying to process her feelings. Way better than it should be with that premise - it doesn't moralize at you until literally the last minute, and at that point you're like, okay, fine, you can have some moralizing as a treat. I felt like it was a realistic portrait of teenager-hood, in all its horny, angry messiness. Really hope Ortega doesn't exclusively do genre stuff going forward, she's real good.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) - 4/10: Sentimental dreck.

Murina (2021) - 8/10: I recommend that all fans of Avatar: the Way of Water, looking to scratch the itch for intense dramas featuring complicated family relationships and incredible underwater scenes check this movie out. It turns out I really like depressing movies/shows set in the coastal Mediterranean - between this, Aftersun, A Chiara, and My Brilliant Friend, it's just a good place to tell a sad story, it seems to me. More please (and if anyone has recommendations, please let me know!)

Bones and All (2022) - 7/10: Pretty good, if overhyped. Mark Rylance is excellent. Never quite felt like the two leads "clicked" with each other. Extremely pretty.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hey just watched Midnight Sky.

Lol what a piece of poo poo

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
aftersun (2022) - get on the charlotte wells bandwagon now cause she's gonna be a big loving deal very very soon. quietly devastating parent/child drama that's immaculately conceived and acted

eo (2022) - au hasard balthazar reconceived as a dark/bleak comedy. which really isn't that much of a left turn from the bresson. but the cinematography is drawn from a much broader/modern palette and gets wild from moment one and periodically throughout the picture (plenty of donkey POV shots!) making it more "fun" to look at

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Saw Broker—8/10: I haven’t seen any other of Kore-era’s films, but I’ve got to! Really enjoyed this. Sentimental but in a good way. Definitely the cutest movie about a prostitute who kills her married boyfriend and tries to traffic their baby, at least that I’ve seen.

Then I watched 4 movies on a 10 hour flight and essentially struck out, darn.

Bodies Bodies Bodies—6/10: Had some nice tense bits, and Maria Bakalova was good, but the faux-gen-z speak is truly awful. It’s fine to write artificial-sounding dialogue if it has some other merits, like being funny, but this struck out. I see it’s based on a story by the woman who wrote Cat Person, which feels about right.

Bullet Train—4/10: Real bad! The concept is so good—inverted murder on the orient express, with action scenes—but the pacing is so, so bad, and you’re spoon-fed every single plot twist, ugh.

Marcel the Shell with Shoes on—7/10: Nice and cute but insubstantial. Some funny jokes, and the grandma stuff was sweet.

Logan Lucky—6/10: Very late to this obviously—I know some people love it but I found it strictly inferior to the Oceans movies, overlong, and weird to introduce a major(?) character in the last half hour. Adam Driver’s accent is a gift.

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 22, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bullitt First thing's first, the Carchase earned it's praise. Second things second though, the movie has an absolute ton of great shots and directing. The shot through the car going through the carwas stood out for being clever and unique. The story is also far more interesting and grounded than I'd have thought of a movie with the rep it has. All in all a great time, if there's a failing it's that I've yet to see a movie with a compelling love interest in a Steve McQueen movie.

Sissi I feel like I slipped into an alternate reality where there's a fierce Austrian Restoration movement and that the film was produced in service of that cause. It's pretty cool though if you think Bavarian's are inherently funny, as I do.

Tie me Up, Tie me Down! I think this film would be more difficult to write about had I not watched it immediately after Sissi. Franz in that forces Sissi into a marriage against her consent and the audience consider it romantic because we trust a romantic film must end happily. Antonio Banderas gives Victoria Abril far more agency than Franz did.

The movie isn't saying kidnapping women is cool and good, it's telling the audience the romance tropes we watch on TV are pretty hosed up.

The Blob (1988) Movie blows compared to the first. The Blob is a lot less effective when it's so active instead of just out there blobbing it up, This Tunnel Snake rear end in a top hat is certainly no Steve McQueen, and the whole thing hits a goddamn brick wall after the Theatre sequence where the movie only cares about this Gov Bureaucracy bullshit instead of the evil blob monster. Props for the theatre attack with the seizure inducing flashing lights and for being so indiscriminate in the killing. As a whole though, it's a pass.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 24, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Avatar 2 : The Way of Water: what a picture! Three unrelenting hours of a cross between a nature documentary of a place that doesn't exist and a big time action sequel. The second half is when stuff starts getting exciting and it doesn't let up for the rest of the film. Cameron at his best

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Julie and Celine go Boating I recently read The Invention of Morel which managed to be very relevant to this movie in that it functions as almost and inverse of this one. In here we have two young women bored of society going off and creating their own strange tale based on some half remembered facts from Julies youth, eventually moving from watching it to trying to pull someone out of the tale itself and into the real world. Morel has a man trying to insert himself into a pre set tale by memorizing everyone's positions and lines and trying to make himself a part of it to any viewers who might stumble on it later.

Both ways of looking at it are fascinating though, there's something absurdly compelling about the odd interior worlds people create. Maybe one day we'll find all the tales of Angria and Gondal stashed in some British nook.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Whale felt like one of those fake movies from Tropic Thunder.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Glass Onion was worse in pretty much every way than knives out, excepting the daftness of the twist and Janelle Monae doing her thing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Violent Night
Very funny. Thought the final fight with the head bad guy wasn't great. But was busting a gut laughing for most of the movie. Best Christmas movie in a long time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Last year during Christmas, me and the family watched Home Alone 1 and 2. It was one of those moments where we forced our son to sit down and watch an old movie we were convinced he’d love but would never watch if we didn’t force him. He loved the movies. :smug: So, against better judgement we did home alone 3.
I vaguely recall watching it a long time ago and remembered nothing of it. And now I know why.

I wouldn’t quite call it bad, but it’s just an imitation that manages to do everything the other 2 did, except make us like the leads and thus managed to miss the mark on everything that made 1/2 great.

Home alone 1/2 all feature inherently good people trying their best to be good but failing. Yet they desperately try to make amends once the problem becomes clear.
In this movie, the kid is okaish, but very smug, dad is non existent, brother and sister are actively malevolent (and I’m pretty sure I’m a better actor than both of them combined) and the old neighbor is a cynical old crone who complains about everything. The only vaguely good people are possibly the mom, the boss thug and the Janitor cop.
And there are 2 cartoon animals.
As dumb as it sounds for a movie where a piano drops on someone’s head and he walks it off, Home Alone 1/2 are realistic. Which also results in Kevin actively being scared by realistic situations. A parrot with infinite vocabulary isn’t. And this kid fears nothing.

My son at least had a good time once the burglary starts, though he rates the first 2 movies higher. He liked Kevin and the burglars better…so did I. He didn’t like the setup though.

And as I look back at 2, I can’t help but wonder how the heck the pitch meeting went. Home alone 3 is what you’d expect you’d get following a movie a like 1. Just a do over but more fantastical and bigger stakes.
Instead 2 is just somehow as good as 1, while leaving nearly everything behind that you’d expect from a movie named home alone that follows a movie involving a kid that’s home alone. :psyduck: How did Chris ever sell that to the money hats?!

Oh god, do I dare watch 4? Apparently they decided that the X factor were the mcallistors and Harvey, so they just recast them. :cripes:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I rewatched the first two last year and it surprised me how hard the scene in 2 where Marv repeatedly gets beaned in the head with bricks made me laugh. He should be dead!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah the brick scene is still fun. 2 is good as it’s the exact same film as the first one, but in New York. It knows you the viewer understands just fastfowards to Kevin have a defense plan and it all set up.

The only that is i think the end of 2 is less in the traditional holiday spirit. In the first one, Kevin just gets his family back for Christmas. But now he gets his family and a bunch of free toys (even though they are clearly a very wealthy family). But i guess free toys is more fun for then child viewers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like 2's big problem is it kinda crosses the line of what is funny violence in live action, obviously they wanted/needed to be bigger than the first so the gags are more extreme and it doesn't work as well.

But it's all relative, as we all know Baby's Day Out was incredibly popular in India

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like 2's big problem is it kinda crosses the line of what is funny violence in live action, obviously they wanted/needed to be bigger than the first so the gags are more extreme and it doesn't work as well.

Absolutely. The traps in the first one are all things that might at worst (seriously) injure a person. The traps in Home 2lone are all (very obviously) potentially lethal. And switching the location of the climax from a brightly lit lived in suburban home to a gloomy abandoned dilapidated building does it no favours with regards to the effect they're going for.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Black Adam - already posted about this in the Snyder thread but this really feels like wasted potential. It's fun watching The Rock utterly vaporize dudes and it's set up to be an anti-imperialist narrative at first, but sours quickly. You can turn this one off after the big fight scene between the Rock and the Justice Society guys around a third of the way into it, everything after that becomes dull and overly lore heavy. 3/10

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - yea I watched a bloody samurai movie for Christmas. It's enjoyable but I was expecting closer to the quality of a Lady Snowblood or similar fare, and while this is stylish when the violence happens, I never got invested in the bad guy gang that gets introduced at the halfway mark. It's probably the result of this being a manga adaptation but this definitely has TV show pilot vibes in the way it's written. You have the larger arc of vengeance introduced early on and then the episodic plot introduced partway through. So it doesn't work as a singular story, since the first act isn't resolved at all and the main characters don't have complete arcs, while at the same time the episodic plot isn't given as much room to develop. If this wasn't part of a large series, if this had never gotten sequels, I don't think this would be remembered as a cult classic. I'm interested in seeing where this series goes next. 6/10, might bump it up?

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at River Styx - So early on this one introduces the villainess and her evil geisha assassins by having them dismember a ninja in a really gorey way and I knew this one was going to be special. This entry isn't divided between setting up the series and telling a one-off story and thus has a much better arc to it. It feels like there's a point to having a kid in the story now, which is important since it's the entire gimmick. He's Ogami's weak point and there are more setpieces built around using that. And we get more scenes where he and his father get to interact and have a relationship. Even his crib turns out to be badass, full of hidden weapons that dismember dudes. Overall this is just better made with slicker action and visuals. I can see why the Shogun Assassin version the US got was mostly footage from this film - it loving rules. 8/10

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Darth TNT posted:

...brother and sister are actively malevolent (and I’m pretty sure I’m a better actor than both of them combined)

Haha, the sister is played by Scarlett Johansson.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

High Warlord Zog posted:

Absolutely. The traps in the first one are all things that might at worst (seriously) injure a person. The traps in Home 2lone are all (very obviously) potentially lethal. And switching the location of the climax from a brightly lit lived in suburban home to a gloomy abandoned dilapidated building does it no favours with regards to the effect they're going for.

Yeah the film has a weird dark atmosphere on top of everything.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Haha, the sister is played by Scarlett Johansson.

Well she got a lot better with age. :D 100% sure she’s a better actor than me now.

checkplease posted:

Yeah the brick scene is still fun. 2 is good as it’s the exact same film as the first one, but in New York. It knows you the viewer understands just fastfowards to Kevin have a defense plan and it all set up.

The only that is i think the end of 2 is less in the traditional holiday spirit. In the first one, Kevin just gets his family back for Christmas. But now he gets his family and a bunch of free toys (even though they are clearly a very wealthy family). But i guess free toys is more fun for then child viewers.

Yeah the Holiday spirit is a lot weaker in 2. I’d say it doesn’t exist at all in 3.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Home Alone was never good.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Colossal - the movie was a bit darker in places than I expected from the trailer but was a good watch overall. It had an interesting use of kaiju in the overall narrative.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Surviving Christmas: for some reason Ben Affleck and James Gandolfini and Catherine O'Hara and Christina Applegate weren't box office gold but it was nice, if harmless

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I've got a newborn so I've been watching popcorn movies:

Amsterdam was horrendous and the never ending parade of famous actors in it for like 2 minutes was a huge distraction. The only decent part was when Taylor Swift got loving flattened by a truck outta NOWHERE. I had just gotten used to her being in the movie and then BOOM, truck death.

Glass Onion was fine. Daniel Craig's accent was slightly less distracting than in the first one. Most of the cast was good, but I think I just don't enjoy Ed Norton, and then in the end he got his comeuppance but it wasn't terribly satisfying imo.

Uncharted was VERY stupid and VERY fun. I didn't know it was based on a video game, but it explains why Tom Holland is just Spiderman without any powers. It's National Treasure meets Fast and Furious, maybe? The final 20 minutes or so is worth the price of admission and I wish I had seen it in a theater. Comically over the top, I kept pausing and telling my wife "it sorta seems like they're setting up for X, but that would be ridiculous!" and then they would do X. It ruled.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades - what the gently caress the babby cart has guns on it? samurai are so loving cool dude 7/10

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril - It's crazy that they released 4 of these in 1972 and they're all good to great in quality. This time the kid gets some character development. Turns out he has "death life eyes", the kinda eyes you get after killing hundreds of men. There's a topless lady assassin, buddha ninjas, hell a whole army of ninjas, and so on. I have a feeling these movies are all going to blend together after I'm done with the series, they're all kind of the same thing and about the same quality. So I'm also giving this 7/10

Black Girl - Watched this because it was short, on the Criterion service and appears on so many lists, including the recent Sight and Sound Top 100. Oh and it's the birth of sub-Saharan African cinema. It's a concise character piece about a Senegalese woman who moves to France to work as a maid. The protagonist is alienated from her homeland, treated like a child or an object, and subjected to what today people might call microaggressions.I quite liked it. 8/10

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
EO is great, it's like if Enter the Void was about a live donkey instead of a dead guy

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Doing a mini-movie festival here at our house. Started yesterday with:

Anatomy of a Murder: Really great, reminded me a bit of Witness for the Prosecution. Jimmy Stewart was great, and I loved the cinematography. Surprisingly not as dated as I was expecting. Still gross comments about this woman who was allegedly just raped, but I at least got the sense the movie was trying to cast those comments in a poor light.

The Shop Around the Corner: I mean the better version of You've Got Mail hands down. For one being so enmeshed in each others lives as coworkers brings so much more to the experience. And their fellow worked add a lot through their own interactions. Great acting and writing, so much characterization gets developed just from Stewart's character describing dinner at the bosses house the night before. If there was any false not it was just at the end when Stewart's character really rubs it in how terrible her supposed beau is, but even that isn't too bad.

Today we did:

Aftersun: I mean pretty amazing. Paul Mescal really, really kills it. He's so physically present, but also just a huge range of emotions that play on his face. I admit to my own denseness that if I hadn't read so much about how the movie was about his own depression and how she inherited it from him, I might have missed it until the end. He comes across so much as the loving and caring father that it was only that I was reading into it what others had said was there that it came through. Without such spoilers I may have felt it more about nostalgia, the passage of youth and time, and how we form memories of parents who aren't perfect, but are certainly doing their best. I did feel there was some indication he was gay or at least not entirely straight, but the movie doesn't dive into that explicitly.

Decision to Leave: Just amazing! Like 4 movies in 1, there are a number of tone shifts that maybe shouldn't work but do for me. I love use of food for telling you about the characters, but also their relations to and thoughts of others. Very frantic, there's not a lot of deadspace, which really does leave if feeling fully stuffed. Maybe a touch too much melodrama in the ending, it hits, but then keeps going past the point of effectiveness, and perhaps blunts what otherwise was a pretty chilling, but darkly hilarious film.

Tar: So much to like, but I feel like it misses pretty badly. Cate Blanchett I thought acted pretty amazingly, but the movie itself really focuses on everything but the things that condemns here. I understand subtext, but look at The Assisstant. Obviously a different movie, but one that uses a broad tool case to show not tell. Most things this movie shows aren't of her being a monster or a predator, there are a few hints, but it really has to tell you for it to actually be felt. This comes across more as undermining a metoo culture, and I think it ends up supporting terrible people that make so-called 'great' art. Sure, they might hurt people, but who cares it seems to say, we never see them or show their impact, only how much it might derail the 'genius' career. In some ways the edited video that comes out is a reverse metaphor for the movie. It shows all the parts that support and never lets us see the hurt. IDK, I wanted to like this so much more.

The Banshees of Inisherin: I think Siobhán is my favorite character. This also comes across as one that I'm missing too much of Irish history to make a full picture of. It read almost as a metaphor with only 60% of it filled in. Brendan Gleeson's actions are so intense as to elevate it past reality, into a world of fable? That said it was pretty amazing. Intense, very funny in some ways but depressing too. I wish we could have heard the final piece of music together, but perhaps that would be me missing the point.

Tomorrow we're doing Late Spring and 2001. Potentially 8 1/2 if we can fit that in!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Watched Offside (2006) - 8/10: Really good movie from Iranian directory Jafar Panahi - about a group of young women trying to sneak into a stadium to watch a soccer game. Maybe the best sports movie I've seen? Hilarious and emotionally resonant. Only reason Idon't give it an even higher score is that it's got a few pretty clunky line reads, understandable from a cast of I think entirely amateur actors.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Just saw Tar yesterday and loved it. Amazing performances, incredible script, and top-notch filmmaking. All the insider baseball stuff was particularly appreciated and it felt well-observed in every regard. There are just so many tiny details that feel right, from the way the audience at the New Yorker live interview laughs (that sounds like an insane thing to say but it's true) to the set design (their brutalist house made me laugh and also I just realized the Tar/Minotaur connection and how much of this movie takes place in angular, hard-edged, high-ceilinged labyrinthian spaces), to the way everything points at everything else. It's just a wonderful, intricate work and it's been a while since I've seen a drama like this that's so purely absorbing. Often, my issue with movies about awful people is that the people are so awful it's just hard to watch, but Blanchett's performance is so deep and the script does such a good job at hinting and drawing you out to make connections that it's impossible to turn away. A stunning and involving portrait of a horrible, incredibly realistic monster, and also a great condemnation of the ways that people like her are allowed to thrive in the system in the first place.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Watched Corsage at the local indie and wish I'd gone to see Avatar a second time in Dolby 3D. The film felt very slow and I found it annoying that I was being asked to sympathise with how hard the literal Empress has it, when she has unimaginable wealth and servants waiting on her hand and foot. Some odd anachronisms too which didn't quite work like a plastic mop and bucket, and modern light switch fittings, and at one point an, at the latest, 1950s tractor, plus it made the cardinal sin of portraying the earliest film footage as widescreen - if you're actually shooting on film in 2022, then it should be easy enough to shoot 1.33.

Oh and whoever wrote the IMDB trivia page for the film apparently really does not like it - full of "actor Vicky Krieps, while promoting the film, said she does not smoke. However, she has previously been seen smoking in public".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

L'Avventura Antonioni is simply the best Filmmaker, I cannot comment on the film itself because it would do a disservice to the pure object of beauty the man created.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Intolerable Cruelty (2003) the last Coen Brothers movie I hadn't seen. I think this is definitive proof that screwball comedies just don't work, if even the Coens can't manage it. that being said, and this is all in comparison to every other previous Coens works which I have been going through this month, the script is in the cringe valley between over the top goofy (Hudsucker Proxy, Raising Arizona) and serious (Blood Simple, Fargo). Roger Deakins is given nothing to do, which is especially bewildering coming off of The Man Who Wasn't There. the performers are fine, Thortnton stole the scenes he was in. the weakest Coen bros so far but I'm revisiting The Ladykillers next, fwhich I haven't seen since it was in theaters

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Intolerable Cruelty (2003) the last Coen Brothers movie I hadn't seen. I think this is definitive proof that screwball comedies just don't work, if even the Coens can't manage it. that being said, and this is all in comparison to every other previous Coens works which I have been going through this month, the script is in the cringe valley between over the top goofy (Hudsucker Proxy, Raising Arizona) and serious (Blood Simple, Fargo). Roger Deakins is given nothing to do, which is especially bewildering coming off of The Man Who Wasn't There. the performers are fine, Thortnton stole the scenes he was in. the weakest Coen bros so far but I'm revisiting The Ladykillers next, fwhich I haven't seen since it was in theaters

I like that movie more than you, but in a lot of ways it plays like a completely toothless version of what DeVito was doing with War of the Roses

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I have the same complaint about Mean Girls, that it wants to be Heathers but never follows through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Fabelmans : Solid Spielberg film that while very on the nose was just well made and enjoyable watch. There’s something about watching kids amateur movies that’s always fun for me. Ending with Lynch is always the best decision. But this one does feel a bit long and probably could have been cut down some (high school stuff, maybe the uncle).