Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Apparently i had a bad print too because I totally don't have a skeleton in a cage on my print... huh.

its escaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eej posted:

Yup, you can do this with any kind of transparent paint. I don't use much contrast myself but you should also be able to do something like drybrushing a bright yellow over green contrast and then green contrast over it to get a warmer highlight (rather than going towards pastel green) on Ork skin, for example.

E: if I'm wrong about the yellow drybrush idea don't ban me thanks

So warmer undertones to push the warmer contrast further?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Apparently i had a bad print too because I totally don't have a skeleton in a cage on my print... huh.

I guess it is not in a cage, it is on a stick on the back of the maggot. You can see them in this render:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So warmer undertones to push the warmer contrast further?

Yup, but contrast over anything that isn't white requires experimentation.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Al-Saqr posted:

Finished Morko From Metal Squig!

Tried my best with the eyes, had fun making a custom base, will clean up once everything dries!

Critiques Please!

Lmao I'm dying at the HEAVY MACHINE GUN powerup book on his hip

edit: oh god I just noticed the little mars people on the base :kimchi:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Silhouette posted:

Lmao I'm dying at the HEAVY MACHINE GUN powerup book on his hip

edit: oh god I just noticed the little mars people on the base :kimchi:

Lol thanks! I even included the underwear he found the powerup in underneath lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/kinofabino/status/1606349165700599809?s=46&t=JCGENyL_A4QiR_JKCY7rmA

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ashton Blueshell, of the Blue Shell Pirates. Cooper Blueshell's brother has an attention span approximately the equal of the squirrel perched on his arm, but his lantern exists only half in this world and can hide the ship from sight on the oceans of the fey.
Mini by Bite the Bullet: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-olda-the-tortle-druid-161751

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I love turtle

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I love turtle

I have good news for you then, friend.

Two more in the pipe (the rest of the set of 5), and the january release from Bite the Bullet has new turtles, too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

WIP on Thor from MCP. The proacryl reds I’m using are surprisingly satin, so when I get back to him I plan to put a matte varnish on his cloak. I may try to fix his black tunic as well, I think the highlights are a bit too strong and there isn’t enough variation in shades on the black.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

the skintones are awesome

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Ashton Blueshell, of the Blue Shell Pirates. Cooper Blueshell's brother has an attention span approximately the equal of the squirrel perched on his arm, but his lantern exists only half in this world and can hide the ship from sight on the oceans of the fey.
Mini by Bite the Bullet: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-olda-the-tortle-druid-161751

gently caress do i love your work the pastel and pure colors are so awesome

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my girlfriend found and bought me da red gobbo for christmas this year, which had been my biggest non-purchase regret :unsmith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jesus WEP posted:

my girlfriend found and bought me da red gobbo for christmas this year, which had been my biggest non-purchase regret :unsmith:

That is amazing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

gently caress do i love your work the pastel and pure colors are so awesome

poo poo like this gives me life, friend, especially coming from someone who sculpted Heihachi Mishimork and Morko from Metal Squig.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Got gifted a Vallejo paint box set for Christmas. I'm excited to play around with a new brand.

Maybe I'll even start mixing my own colours now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wh40k cross:

Any idea how eavey Metal does their burgundy?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

Wh40k cross:

Any idea how eavey Metal does their burgundy?

Last month's white dwarf has all the recipes used on one of the votann characters, Uthar the Destined, the red tassels are close enough to get the idea

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Starting on my Custodes Kill Team, because I figure if I take 10 hours per model, I could still finish in a reasonable time. Different paint schemes so I can continue practicing different things and not get bored. I'm an extremely slow painter and really just want to make things look as cool as possible before I do any assembly line painting.

First fella, based on the Shadowkeepers scheme:

This guy based on my seeing my Dirty Down verdigris bottle and getting bad ideas:

Trying to figure out what my third and fourth schemes will be.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Ironblood posted:

]

Trying to figure out what my third and fourth schemes will be.

Make one of them monochrome. You can pick the color, but paint only in shades of that color

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday.
I was barely seventeen, and I once killed a boy with a Fender guitar.
I don't remember if it was Telecaster or Stratocaster
But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Your horny anime angel deserves some shading and highlights

Ps love Meatloaf, too bad he went chud

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Just got a wet palette for Christmas. Time to learn how to use this thing for the rest of my Legion army.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do I just suck at this process or does air brushing cause hand cramps for other people? I did as many models as I could today before I stopped and I couldn't properly clean out my air brush with the claw I had available on my right arm for an hour or so.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Do I just suck at this process or does air brushing cause hand cramps for other people? I did as many models as I could today before I stopped and I couldn't properly clean out my air brush with the claw I had available on my right arm for an hour or so.

I have a similar issue and I think it's cause I'm gripping it too hard

also: I got the full set of Dirty Down for xmas, should be fun to use soon!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I didnt get anything for christmas :smith:

Oh wait i forgot im not christian lol

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

got a lamp, then a cramp

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

LOL

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Al-Saqr posted:

I have good news for you, TG Secret Santa does not give a poo poo about your religious affiliations. So next year get in on the gift giving in the TG Secret Santa Thread.

Its lots of fun and you'll get cool stuff that you never would have thought to buy yourself.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

I have good news for you, TG Secret Santa does not give a poo poo about your religious affiliations. So next year get in on the gift giving in the TG Secret Santa Thread.

Its lots of fun and you'll get cool stuff that you never would have thought to buy yourself.

Thanks dude ill look into it

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
So I got the army painter airbrush starter set for Christmas along with some oil paints for wahses. Sadly though the cheap airbrush I got broke before I could use it and I had it waiting a over a year so the warranty is gone and with how the economy is looking I can't really afford to buy a new one. Is the army painter primer good a a brush on primer?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Calhanol posted:

So I got the army painter airbrush starter set for Christmas along with some oil paints for wahses. Sadly though the cheap airbrush I got broke before I could use it and I had it waiting a over a year so the warranty is gone and with how the economy is looking I can't really afford to buy a new one. Is the army painter primer good a a brush on primer?

any primer is, really, when I brush on I end up thinning down a bunch anyway, because you don't need it nearly as thick as the actual brush on primer. That said, you can get a cheap Master airbrush (not good quality, but it works and the companies are happy to just ship you an entire replacement brush if a part breaks or is lost) off amazon for like 40bux, or 70 with an actually decent portable rechargeable compressor. It's not good for any sort of detail work, but for prime, zenithal, basecoat, varnish, it works fine.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Calhanol posted:

How did your airbrush break before use? Have you tried fixing it yourself?

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
It's a simple T-100 air compressor. I was testing the pressure gauge and it simply stopped pumping. The power light lights up but nothing else. I tried opening it up but I didn't want to damage the casing. I got as far as the four screws at the bottom but could not separate the casing, due to something else holding them together. If I knew how I would try to fix it myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Basing! Boy I like basing. Poor paint job becomes something still kinda fun to look at once you put some basing stuff. My mum got me a bunch of grass tufts and the unicorn. My BF got me the wildspire mini sets. My sister got me the tiny skulls. None of them quite understand (BF might) but they are happy I'm happy, and I'm happy with where I am in this slow-rear end journey of learning what I'm doing.

Contrast paints are a bit finicky hey? I need to be more judicious and actually learn to drybrush properly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the damage for everyone this year in terms of putting paint on models? I don't mean assembling and priming, I mean like, working on a model enough to be "done with it for the time being"

I looked over my blog and it looks like I've "done" 87 this year....I have a small amount of Tyranids (26) and Chaos Marines (13) sitting on my desk I should probably do to close out the year with a bang...if I can find the time...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the damage for everyone this year in terms of putting paint on models? I don't mean assembling and priming, I mean like, working on a model enough to be "done with it for the time being"

I looked over my blog and it looks like I've "done" 87 this year....I have a small amount of Tyranids (26) and Chaos Marines (13) sitting on my desk I should probably do to close out the year with a bang...if I can find the time...

Roughly 165 miniatures this year up to today, theoretically could probably finish another 5 or so currently on painting handles half done before hogmanay, but probably wont as I'm finding them tough going.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Roughly 165 miniatures this year up to today, theoretically could probably finish another 5 or so currently on painting handles half done before hogmanay, but probably wont as I'm finding them tough going.

There's a few on paint handles I might just retire and come back to it when I'm more excited about actually painting them. I wasn't as excited about painting my nundams as I thought I would, and my last one was staring me in the face and I put it away to work on other stuff instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I painted a total of 20 models this year:

5 Infiltrators
3 Bladeguard Vets
4 Heavy Intercessors
4 Hellblasters
1 Librarian
1 Apothecary
1 Lieutenant
1 Redemptor Dread

With 1 WIP Hellblaster currently on the table on hold until I can tear myself away from Darktide.