Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They can't have her be evil or have amnesia because they already did both of those with Letty, sooooo... Cyborg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

They can't have her be evil or have amnesia because they already did both of those with Letty, sooooo... Cyborg?

Mr Nobody was driving a car with an air cushion beside the big plane and caught her on that then had her doing separate jobs from Han for the last ten years. Alternatively Cypher scraped her off the pavement after the plane thing and had her locked in a basement, maybe she got hurt really badly so she's just been locked in a basement since then. Maybe Cypher uploaded her so she's the AI who has been doing all the hacking all along.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Lobok posted:

Have her patched up by the evil cabal who were doing whatever they were doing in Hobbs and Shaw

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

Evil twin

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like the twin wants to... help Palestine? I don't follow.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Just make her Wonder Woman DC is in too much of a mess to notice or do anything about it.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

drat, now we just gotta git lin & the corona deal back

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lobok posted:

This was Idris Elba in Hobbs and Shaw.

I, for one, would welcome the existence of actual factual necromancers in the F&F universe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

necromancer schmencromancer

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GrandpaPants posted:

I, for one, would welcome the existence of actual factual necromancers in the F&F universe.

He was enhanced but looked normal didn't he? I mean cyborg like DC's Cyborg. Like Mecha-Gisele.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Car

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hobbies n shaw sucked sloppy rear end

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wasn’t huge on Fast 8 and after Hobbs and Shaw and F9 came out there clearly was a different pull Rock was asserting on the series that wasn’t good so I’m fine that he’s not coming back

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ngl, Paul dying also killed the ff series

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah as far as I’m concerned the series ended with Furious 7.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Same. Han showing up in the trailer for F9 got me to watch 8 and Hobbs and Shaw, and honestly I've just been disappointed overall even though each movie has its moments. "It turns out Han is just another spy and Mr. Nobody helped fake his death" was a really loving lame explanation.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I feel like it kinda worked, given the tone the series has at the moment. Though I've only seen F9 once so far, so my memory is hazy. Looking at the character wiki pages to explain it is wild, yet I feel it kind of pulls it off. It's I guess not just that Han is a spy, apparently the reason he knows Mr. Nobody is through Gisele. And the reason he'd care about the Project Ares thing is because he cares about Elle etc. Family in other words.

I do like that wikipedia contradicts itself for F9 in a way. It says Deckard Shaw was used to fake Han's death, then mentions how Deckard is surprised to see Han is alive. That ever retconned car explosion scene is definitely funny, but I gotta respect it.

I've also gotta see that slightly extended cut of F9.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

so stupid that they advertised Han in everything before the movie was released.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
F9 is on HBO Max so I watched it and I dunno guys maybe it’s because I’m older now and thus more boring but this movie kinda sucked. The sibling rivalry thing felt fake and makes no sense if you spend more than 5 seconds thinking about it and I turned off the movie when Ludacris was strapped into a rocket-powered car on top of a transport aircraft that somehow two random nobodies could fly. Like at some point there’s no amount of suspension of disbelief that makes this look good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just did a holiday rewatch of the whole series and F9 is definitely the worst.

There are 2 things about the rocket car that bug me. First is that they try to set the whole thing up throughout the movie with Roman going on about their apparent invincibility, which is just way too meta of a gag for my liking in this series (and I think at the point in the film where he first brings it up it isn't even true? Han's reveal comes later). And the second thing is that the rocket car scene is technically a little bit of action that involves a car but there is no actual driving.

What really brings the movie down is the reliance on Cena as the villain, who is not a threat because we're just waiting for the inevitable teamup because Charlize Theron appears so early and has somehow become the Blofeld of the series.

Part and parcel with Cena being a non-villain is how much screentime we need for the unsatisfying Dom & Jacob backstory. He just lets Dom think he murdered their father for absolutely no gain?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 5, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My main problem with F9 was how they wasted Cena. Peacemaker Cena would be great in the franchise.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
F9 is fun because they have to manually shift the rocket car into gear in space.

Also so many magnets.

Roman is given an actual comedic role vs just being part of a Ramsey love triangle with Tej.

In general, the nice aspect about 9 is how much the spotlight is shared. It’s Tej and Roman who go to space for the big memorable stunt. Ramsey gets the fun scene of not knowing how to drive. Han has his own plot line, Mia and Letty get some big action and emotional scenes. Obviously Dom has the big showdown at the end and his hulk destroying the stair case scene, but there’s a lot of good stuff given to others.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

WhyteRyce posted:

My main problem with F9 was how they wasted Cena. Peacemaker Cena would be great in the franchise.
With Cena they seemed to be thinking "we need a big wrestling guy who can act to fill the hole left by The Rock" and while Cena is indeed a very large wrestling guy and a surprisingly good actor he doesn't really work in the role they put him in. It might actually have been better had they just slotted him into Literally The Rock's role in 5, a hardass military tough guy antagonistic to the crew who eventually warms up to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqNFdg-f5Y

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 5, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You’re not wrong. F8 and F9 are both bad. The franchise ends at F7 with Brian driving off into the sunset.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Snyder-era DCU lineup is being scrapped for the James Gunn refresh so I imagine we'll see more of this type of thing. Also Gal will go from having like three lines per movie to being a featured player.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is very rough, but you gotta start somewhere

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Was F9 a covid film? Because some shots look really loving weird, mostly in the beginning of the film. Some actors look composited into shots, weird camera placement and editing that doesn't match up action and reaction, ect. I complained about it when I saw it too. I was mildly entertained by 9 but the series has been diminishing returns since 6.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Jimbot posted:

Was F9 a covid film? Because some shots look really loving weird, mostly in the beginning of the film. Some actors look composited into shots, weird camera placement and editing that doesn't match up action and reaction, ect. I complained about it when I saw it too. I was mildly entertained by 9 but the series has been diminishing returns since 6.

Funny enough, principal filming was pre-covid. Some reshoots were done in march 2020 and november 2020.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
lin is still credited as screenwriter on imdb for ffx (and i presume ffx-2), which considering him getting fired is kinda sad as its the only ff movie for which he has a credited screenplay

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I thought he said “gently caress this” and walked because Vin sucks, not that he was fired?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

the escape goat posted:

I thought he said “gently caress this” and walked because Vin sucks, not that he was fired?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1521150052621717504

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Sounds like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
They should just embrace fat Vin. Sleeveless shirt with a big gut hanging out while drifting a charger across lava.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

checkplease posted:

They should just embrace fat Vin. Sleeveless shirt with a big gut hanging out while drifting a charger across lava.

Exactly. He's just cultivating mass.

Then the next movie he can be ripped again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's a tabloid paper. Just saying, because I dunno, it's just funny that people would take it at face value. It's like linking the onion or something. And the quotes are such classic clickbait, it reminds me of those wrestling news sites back when I was watching. Not to say Vin isn't kooky. But hey, Justin is still on as a producer, it doesn't seem that crazy of a situation really. Now we've got The Transporter guy bringing the French power to the film, I think he's ready for a comeback. And Lin's writing will be in the mix somewhere.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Vin thinks he’s in the lineage of Harrison Ford and Robert Redford. He is delusional.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We know who is in that family... Nic Cage! The king, who must bestow us with his presence in Fast 11. My friend is probably gonna throw on his new dodgy western tonight, I don't see why he isn't in F11

(Editors note: I don't have my glasses on, I saw the word Ford, Francis Ford, Harrison Ford, all good)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

MacheteZombie posted:

Ngl, Paul dying also killed the ff series

I've mostly been out on this series after 5, but Walker dying really put the nail in the coffin for me. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I liked it when it was mostly about famous-in-their-neighborhood guys and somewhat plausible stories, and Brian had a grounding presence. I love my share of trash but the epic bacon superheroes but with cars thing is artless and obvious in a way that just turns me off.

Heavy Metal posted:

That's a tabloid paper. Just saying, because I dunno, it's just funny that people would take it at face value. It's like linking the onion or something. And the quotes are such classic clickbait, it reminds me of those wrestling news sites back when I was watching. Not to say Vin isn't kooky. But hey, Justin is still on as a producer, it doesn't seem that crazy of a situation really. Now we've got The Transporter guy bringing the French power to the film, I think he's ready for a comeback. And Lin's writing will be in the mix somewhere.

Vin's had a reputation as world class diva for like a decade now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

I've mostly been out on this series after 5, but Walker dying really put the nail in the coffin for me. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I liked it when it was mostly about famous-in-their-neighborhood guys and somewhat plausible stories, and Brian had a grounding presence. I love my share of trash but the epic bacon superheroes but with cars thing is artless and obvious in a way that just turns me off.

This is where I'm at, I think. I liked the series better when they lived life a quarter mile at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They do still live life a quarter mile at a time. Quarter mile a second that is, in their hyper cars fueled by love from hacking into the Family Dimension.