Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Only here outta respect to my fahdda.
"Do you know who my fahdda was?"
Ashur: "The golfer?"

KnightRider fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Merry Christmas! The boss ‘o dis family said you’re Santa Claus.

You’re Santa Claus. So shut the gently caress up about it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sopranos pilot. I liked it !

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1606024413383888896

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

“Louis Brazzi sleeps with the fishes!”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why did the photographer say the most revolting thing they could think of right before they took the picture?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The pilot, whatever happened there… it was kind of tonally inconsistent with what came later, as they were kind of feeling their way through it and hadn’t found the show’s real voice yet.

Gandolfini didn’t have the Tony accent down nearly as well as he would a year later when they started filming the rest of S1, after he’d had a lot more dialogue coaching.

And that scene where Fr. Intintola and Carmela hear a noise outside the house, and Carmela goes into a room and comes back out with an AK-47, I have always found especially jarring.

As was the almost slapstick-comedy scene when Chris and Tony run the guy down with their car in broad daylight, in front of dozens of people.

But, better things were coming. I feel like S1 E2 was fantastic and the season got even better with every single episode.

Anyway, four dollahs a pound.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The pilot is like, a goofy comedy about gangsters compared to what comes after. It's a very funny show from start to finish but it's hard to imagine the pilot going to those extremely dark places the show gets to.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

S6 in the style of the first ep.

"AJ? He's good. He had Lincoln log sandwiches."

Cut to AJ jumping in the pool with a brick.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrMojok posted:

The pilot, whatever happened there… it was kind of tonally inconsistent with what came later, as they were kind of feeling their way through it and hadn’t found the show’s real voice yet.

Gandolfini didn’t have the Tony accent down nearly as well as he would a year later when they started filming the rest of S1, after he’d had a lot more dialogue coaching.

And that scene where Fr. Intintola and Carmela hear a noise outside the house, and Carmela goes into a room and comes back out with an AK-47, I have always found especially jarring.

As was the almost slapstick-comedy scene when Chris and Tony run the guy down with their car in broad daylight, in front of dozens of people.

But, better things were coming. I feel like S1 E2 was fantastic and the season got even better with every single episode.

Anyway, four dollahs a pound.

I know someone else here said it earlier, but even the Tony narration stuff in S1E1 is only in that episode. I guess the original concept is that Dr. Melfi was being used as a framing device? Like every episode was Tony talking to her, telling her the 'events' of the episode?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Pilot Tony sounded a lot like Kevin Finnerty imo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I watched College the other night, picking up on a long derailed rewatch, and I'm sure during one of the phone booth conversations Tony pronounces Aprille "a-pril-lee"

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tonally it is nowhere near what the show would become. The whole first season suffers a bit, they didn't quite find their rhythm until the very end of it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I kind of think when it really takes off, is S1E5 “College”

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The tone and structure of the pilot make a lot of sense within the context of American Television circa 1997. HBO was still just sort of trying to do "Network TV, But With Cusses and Tits," so it makes sense that it was pitched/filmed as an R-rated take on weird, outlier dramedies like Northern Exposure or Picket Fences. "It's a serious show about both crime and domestic dramas, with life-or-death stakes for everybody involved, but there's also lots of setup-punchline gags, and the whole thing is shot through with pitch-black, bone-dry satire" was gonna be a hard sell in that era, even to a pay cable network looking to take a shot on something unusual. Taking it broad let Chase get the big ideas across so they could get that series order and find their footing as they went along.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I always liked how the damage to the car after they hit the guy consisted of the front headlight being carefully unscrewed and left hanging.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Ugh, that poor bastard Vito runs into. :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

The tone and structure of the pilot make a lot of sense within the context of American Television circa 1997. HBO was still just sort of trying to do "Network TV, But With Cusses and Tits," so it makes sense that it was pitched/filmed as an R-rated take on weird, outlier dramedies like Northern Exposure or Picket Fences. "It's a serious show about both crime and domestic dramas, with life-or-death stakes for everybody involved, but there's also lots of setup-punchline gags, and the whole thing is shot through with pitch-black, bone-dry satire" was gonna be a hard sell in that era, even to a pay cable network looking to take a shot on something unusual. Taking it broad let Chase get the big ideas across so they could get that series order and find their footing as they went along.

Now that you mention it, running somebody over while a doowop song is playing does feel more like Arli$$ than The Sopranos. I think Chase has said that's one thing he regrets specifically.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Now that you mention it, running somebody over while a doowop song is playing does feel more like Arli$$ than The Sopranos. I think Chase has said that's one thing he regrets specifically.

I always got goodfellas vibes from some of the backing music choices in the pilot; although, the show is full of goodfellas vibes for unrelated reasons so maybe that's just spilling over

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, the pilot and only the pilot has a vibe of "what if Goodfellas was Analyze This" though it was in production basically simultaneously with Analyze This so it's less of a direct inspiration and more of the whole "everybody's in therapy these days" vibe of the 90s applied to mob movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
With the first season and especially the pilot you can see a lot of jokes coming. After that most laughs were completely out of loving nowhere.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"Analyse Dis? It's a fuckin comedy!" :mad:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Telling people that Sopranos is my favorite woke tv show leads to some fun conversations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm an outlier because I think seasons 1-4 are fantastic but after that the show gets a bit too pretentious and art house-y. Still funny mind you, but seasons 5 / 6a / 6b lack a grimey street crime element imo.

e : basically, I want it pulpy

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 30, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

With the first season and especially the pilot you can see a lot of jokes coming. After that most laughs were completely out of loving nowhere.

"MY PIZZA NEVER HURT NOBODY!"

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Another Bill posted:

I'm an outlier because I think seasons 1-4 are fantastic but after that the show gets a bit too pretentious and art house-y. Still funny mind you, but seasons 5 / 6a / 6b lack a grimey street crime element imo.

Most pretentious/art-housey moment is probably when Gerry Torciano gets whacked.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think those later seasons are necessary in shoving all the slime in your face like "THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU HAVE BEEN ROOTING FOR ALL THIS TIME". (Not to say that the Sopranos ever pretended like its characters were good guys, but they certainly feel seedier as the show goes on.) People still missed the entire point of the show despite it basically screaming at you "this piece of poo poo DESERVES to get his brains splattered in front of his family at a diner and he didn't deserve the honor of you getting to watch the spectacle!"

A lot of shows have tried to replicate that transition but I don't think any have pulled it off as well. Breaking Bad got pretty close but still went and introduced literal neo Nazis so we could root for Walt at the end while he got a big badass ending. And Barry just went all in on him being an unsympathetic monster with the third season without easing us into it (a good decision imo).

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

MokBa posted:

The pilot is like, a goofy comedy about gangsters compared to what comes after. It's a very funny show from start to finish but it's hard to imagine the pilot going to those extremely dark places the show gets to.

im the guy that shamelessly recommends this show to everyone and I don't want to do the whole star trek thing of "just wait until season 5 that's when it gets really good." I just tell them the truth. that sopranos makes breaking bad look like beverly hills 90210.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Personally, I only like the seasons with *some* pulp

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 30, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Astrochicken posted:

im the guy that shamelessly recommends this show to everyone and I don't want to do the whole star trek thing of "just wait until season 5 that's when it gets really good." I just tell them the truth. that sopranos makes breaking bad look like beverly hills 90210.

I don't know about all that now.

I probably like Sopranos better overall but consider both shows somewhere in my top 5 or 10 all timers along with The Wire, Silicon Valley, Better Call Saul, Daredevil and Six Feet Under. BCS I could argue is better than Breaking Bad.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm cautiously dipping my toe in here since I'm watching the show for the first time and I'm about halfway through season 5.

Does anybody have any insight into the rights/clearances situation with all the songs and movies that get used as background material in the show? There's a lot of songs per episode, and I have to figure by like season 3 or 4 DVDs were a big enough seller that everybody was aware that it was going to cost them more to license them for the home release. Most of the movies they pick are older stuff, but certainly all stuff that's still in copyright. Did HBO have some kind of sweetheart deal with the licensed stuff or was this just the first show they were willing to drop a huge amount of money on?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Astrochicken posted:

It occurred to me just now how jarring it would be to show someone the pilot, say "that led to this", and start "Join the Club"

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
The :filez: copy of S1 I watched years ago had all the licensed music replaced with royalty-free stock music. It was terrible lol

Also interesting to remember that David Chase wanted a different song to intro each episode instead of Woke Up This Morning. That's not how TV works, David!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Futanari Damacy posted:

The :filez: copy of S1 I watched years ago had all the licensed music replaced with royalty-free stock music. It was terrible lol

Also interesting to remember that David Chase wanted a different song to intro each episode instead of Woke Up This Morning. That's not how TV works, David!

There has to be a show that's done that before. A teen drama or something that drops a different pop song under the title each episode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

With the first season and especially the pilot you can see a lot of jokes coming.

There's also some sitcom-y plotlines in Season 1, where they're still clearly having fun with the concept of "Mobsters, but casual." Like having an episode where the starting point is, essentially, "These Soccer Dads would kill for their team to have a winning season - literally!"

Futanari Damacy posted:

Leftovers Season 3 used different intro music for each episode to great effect

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Randallteal posted:

There has to be a show that's done that before. A teen drama or something that drops a different pop song under the title each episode.

Girls and Atlanta did this albeit I think you only heard a tiny piece of the song over title cards. Still, even going out on different credits songs must have been novel enough when Sopranos first aired, if not totally unprecedented

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
To me it seems more like one of those ideas like Tracy's picture morphing into Meadow's that were smarter to leave out

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rochallor posted:

I'm cautiously dipping my toe in here since I'm watching the show for the first time and I'm about halfway through season 5.

Does anybody have any insight into the rights/clearances situation with all the songs and movies that get used as background material in the show? There's a lot of songs per episode, and I have to figure by like season 3 or 4 DVDs were a big enough seller that everybody was aware that it was going to cost them more to license them for the home release. Most of the movies they pick are older stuff, but certainly all stuff that's still in copyright. Did HBO have some kind of sweetheart deal with the licensed stuff or was this just the first show they were willing to drop a huge amount of money on?

I don't know any specifics, but HBO being a Warner Bros subsidiary, I'm guessing they probably had some sort of deal with Warner Music Group about free use or reduced rates or whatever.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
By the time the Sopranos aired HBO was purchasing rights in perpetuity for all possible media in the future. In the past shows (WKRP in Cincinnati being a perfect example) got hosed with on music rights because the very idea of reruns, VHS/DVD, streaming, etc didn’t exist, so there was no way to get something like that into a contract. And the Sopranos still had issues trying to get the rights to some music. Apparently a specific Beatles song Chase wanted for the sixth season would’ve cost $400k to license in perpetuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
There’s a episode of Talking Sopranos where they have the music guy on and he goes into how HBO let them use a significant amount of the budget on music and had a lot of foresight about DVD and home media and paid up front for those things before shows on DVD really blew up.