Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Farecoal posted:

What GPU would be the next step up from a 1660 Super? AMD or Nvidia

Do you have a 1660S and are looking to upgrade, or you are buying new (or used) and wanting something that's a bit more powerful than a 1660S?

The current-gen "better than 1660S" options are the RTX 3050 and AMD 6600, but nobody should ever buy the RTX 3050. It costs significantly more than a 2060 while performing worse.

The best value in that general area right now is an AMD 6600, 6600XT, or these EVGA 3060s for $260: https://www.evga.com/Products/productlist.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you have a 1660S and are looking to upgrade, or you are buying new (or used) and wanting something that's a bit more powerful than a 1660S?

The current-gen "better than 1660S" options are the RTX 3050 and AMD 6600, but nobody should ever buy the RTX 3050. It costs significantly more than a 2060 while performing worse.

The best value in that general area right now is an AMD 6600, 6600XT, or these EVGA 3060s for $260: https://www.evga.com/Products/productlist.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family

I have a 1660 Super right now, it was basically the best I could afford back when GPU prices were sky-high. These look good, but I think I would have to upgrade my power supply as well, so I'll hold off for now. Thank you

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Farecoal posted:

I have a 1660 Super right now, it was basically the best I could afford back when GPU prices were sky-high. These look good, but I think I would have to upgrade my power supply as well, so I'll hold off for now. Thank you

Oh, I assumed you were looking at buying something and did not have any GPU right now because believe it or not, the 1660S is still relevant new (or new old stock, or used). If you're upgrading from a 1660S I'd be looking at an AMD 6700XT or RTX 3060 Ti at least.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm assuming your current PC already has an LGA1200 CPU that you'd be carrying over? Wanting to escape from a lovely OEM is understandable, but in this case it sounds like you'd be paying a lot just to get access to a second NVMe drive slot. Surely you can install SATA drives too if you need more storage. And yes, a new GPU would give you much more bang for your buck since this upgrade wouldn't improve performance at all.

edit: You may also be able to get a ~$20 adapter for your 512GB NVMe drive if you have a spare pcie x4 slot.

I already have an adaptor and a spare pcie, but it won't fit with the GPU in there. It's just the tinniest motherboard. But you're right I'd be throwing $80 at it and getting no real benefit other than, "not a lovely OEM setup"

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That isn't that outrageous of an expenditure. Sure it won't net you any FPS gains, but it's OK to do things like that anyway. QoL stuff is cool too.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 25, 2022

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Let's say I wanted to get a computer that I could extend out to 256 GB or more RAM, but I'm not interested in building the whole thing up myself, and was looking at a custom prebuilt like this one https://www.centralcomputer.com/b325-amd-hedt-workstation.html.

Do I need to stick with ECC RAM or can I swap it out for cheaper RAM? Basically I want lots of RAM, but I'm not doing anything important enough to require ECC. Does it matter to the motherboards in workstations whether the RAM is ECC or not?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

With how big SSDs are nowadays do people still use a dedicated windows boot drive and a separate SSD for games or does everyone just put it all on one for high end gaming rigs?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

A single NVME with separate OS and games/storage partitions works well for me. In addition to bigger drives becoming more affordable, a 1Gbps internet connection made it practical to reduce the amount of local storage.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What’s the advantage of partitions?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you put your user data on a separate partition, you can nuke the OS without losing everything (or having to restore from backup).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SuperTeeJay posted:

A single NVME with separate OS and games/storage partitions works well for me. In addition to bigger drives becoming more affordable, a 1Gbps internet connection made it practical to reduce the amount of local storage.
*seethes in 30 Mbps*

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

With how big SSDs are nowadays do people still use a dedicated windows boot drive and a separate SSD for games or does everyone just put it all on one for high end gaming rigs?

I have two 1TB NVMe drives and a 4TB SATA SSD plus a 2TB HDD that's still alive and kicking. 1TB is big enough that my boot drive has a whole mishmash of random poo poo on there.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My fast 1tb is my main drive with boot and whatever random stuff that gets installed (programs, saves , etc). I didn't bother to be partition.

I have a second slightly slower drive as just bulk use, like steam games and blender files, printer stls, etc

Anything really important is on a synced Google drive

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 25, 2022

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I just bought a 4TB nvme drive a month or so ago that's just "everything".

Wibla posted:

If you put your user data on a separate partition, you can nuke the OS without losing everything (or having to restore from backup).

I have seen many people offer this advice in my life but I have never seen a single person actually do this.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The issue is that you have to, at the time of partition, decide how big that is drive will be forever.

There are various tools that can do this after the fact, but that can be annoying. I resolved myself to keeping important stuff in the cloud, and when the drive starts getting full it's time for windows to be reinstalled anyway

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speaking of, how hard is it to clone your boot drive? I have a 500gb gen 3 boot NVME drive, and a 1TB bulk storage NVME, but I'm kind of running out of room and storage is dirt cheap now so I'd like to expand at the lowest point first.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Very easy these days. Reflect clone tool makes it's super easy and some manufacturers provide you with a cloning tool of their own too. Only issues is if you have a spare nvme slot or an adapter to make it easy to swap drives like a nvme to USB etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Very easy these days. Reflect clone tool makes it's super easy and some manufacturers provide you with a cloning tool of their own too. Only issues is if you have a spare nvme slot or an adapter to make it easy to swap drives like a nvme to USB etc.

Somehow my dad has hosed up twice with that process and has needed to like system reset, like he cloned the drive, it didn't work when he put the new drive in, he put the old drive back in and removed the new one and it wouldn't boot to windows. I wasn't there when he was doing it but he is reasonably competent so I'd say to anyone doing this just be careful what you click and read what it's telling you.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is it worth paying more for a Gold rated PSU over a Bronze at the same wattage? Does it indicate better quality, or is it just energy efficiency?

And thank you to all the thread regulars for answering so many questions over the years

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

power crystals posted:

I have seen many people offer this advice in my life but I have never seen a single person actually do this.

Tell me you don't know anyone running Linux without telling me you don't know anyone running Linux.

My current storage setup is:

2TB WD SN770 NVME as Windows boot/game drive
512GB WB SN570 NVME as Linux boot drive (with separate home partition)
2TB WD Blue SATA drive as slower game drive
512GB WD Blue SATA drive as Linux storage
1TB Team SATA drive as Windows storage
1TB Crucial SATA drive as Windows storage

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

And you’ve partitioned the windows boot drive/game drive I assume?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Is it worth paying more for a Gold rated PSU over a Bronze at the same wattage? Does it indicate better quality, or is it just energy efficiency?

And thank you to all the thread regulars for answering so many questions over the years

It only refers to energy efficiency. Nicer PSUs often target higher ratings (or maybe higher wattage PSUs are just inherently more efficent, I don't know) so you'll find that the higher end stuff is basically never bronze. You'll find the non-modular PSUs will be almost always bronze and the nicer sleeved modular PSUs will be Gold+.

Get whatever PSU meets your needs, is the level of modularity that works for you, and most importantly has a nice long warranty since you should replace any PSU that is out of warranty. I personally quite like the EVGA products which often have 10 year warranties.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Did I misread or is it true that efficiently ratings are only relevant when you run the PSU at near max power

Like a bronze pau is more efficient at 90% max then a good at 50% usage? But less power used is still less power used, you are just putting more in to make it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Tell me you don't know anyone running Linux without telling me you don't know anyone running Linux.

No, I've seen people do the parition thing. I have even seen corporate IT people assign VMs like 5 partitions and refuse to explain how we were supposed to use them. I mean I have never seen anyone casually pave their OS partition and go "yep I'm good" without having to reinstall software or pull documents off the boot drive that wound up there anyway etc. It's always an optimistic idea that never survives contact with reality much like desktop linux :v:.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Roundboy posted:

Did I misread or is it true that efficiently ratings are only relevant when you run the PSU at near max power

Like a bronze pau is more efficient at 90% max then a good at 50% usage? But less power used is still less power used, you are just putting more in to make it.

No. Searching for PSU efficiency curves seem to show that generally PSUs are most efficient around 50% load. On higher loads the efficiency drops slightly and in light loads the efficiency drops sharply.

Seems like you would want to choose a PSU that would run at 20% load while idling, and if your computer idles at low load and it spends more timing idling, then you would want a higher rated PSU.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hope it's cool to ask this in this thread but I had my eye on this MSI Aegis SE and it's on sale right now. Normally I would build but local stock for PC parts for a new builds still sucks and my 10 year old build is showing signs of impending doom.

Not impressed with only 16GB of RAM but that should be upgradeable. 550 W PSU is kinda meh but should be sufficient for my needs

Any blatant issues on this pre-build that I might be overlooking?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 26, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://msi/

The link is only showing me this?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

My recent vidcard history is as follows:

4750 1Gb
1060 3Gb
1030 2Gb

Not a good trend ramwise! So I'm not feeling an 8gb card right now having a decade plus of GTA graphics settings screen memory use warning trauma.

Which card would you rather be stuck with for, lets say, the next seven years?

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 GAMING OC 12G - $489.00 - https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=195323

Or

ASUS Dual AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB - $499.99 - https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=221304

I'm leaning towards the AMD, it seems to do better overall in frame rates and I have no interest in coin mining obscure gpu based remnant coins.

With physx now being open sourced, and my main use case being to blow old games out of the water framerate wise, I don't see why I shouldnt blow that extra eleven dollars and also not support that kinda off putting leather jacket ceo.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 26, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you don't care about ray tracing, get the AMD card.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Which card would you rather be stuck with for, lets say, the next seven years?

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 GAMING OC 12G - $489.00 - https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=195323

Or

ASUS Dual AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB - $499.99 - https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=221304

I'm leaning towards the AMD, it seems to do better overall in frame rates and I have no interest in coin mining obscure gpu based remnant coins.

With physx now being open sourced, and my main use case being to blow old games out of the water framerate wise, I don't see why I shouldnt blow that extra eleven dollars and also not support that kinda off putting leather jacket ceo.

AMD 6750XT hands down. It's in a different category than the 3060, significantly faster unless you have super specific Nvidia needs.

Nvidia GPUs other than the 3080 and 4090 are in a bad place value-wise right now.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Unless you want raytracing, the AMD card is just much better all-round. Like about 50% faster than the 3060. (And something like 7-8 times the raw speed of a 1030).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

spunkshui posted:

https://msi/

The link is only showing me this?

Apoligies- fixed the link. But here it is again

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 10, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For further support, I went from a 2060 Super to a 6800XT and near doubled performance in some games. Also if you want to just crank up some older games, even only 4-5 years older it's great. Sometimes I can crank the settings on some games from 2017 and the GPU fans don't even come on.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

melon cat posted:

Ah poo poo sorry- fixed the link. But here it is again

I don’t know much about your pricing up there but depending on what you play, what resolution, and what settings it might better better the build your own and find room for a 3070 in that budget at the same price.

Those things are typically super annoying if you know how to upgrade computers because they intentionally make it impossible.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I just disassembled and stripped an old HP I found outside (hooray for new things day, put the old things in the garbage immediately!) and OEMs really do make these things awful to wrench on - almost every screw was torx or hex, the HDD cage obstructed most of the board, the motherboard was not only totally proprietary but impossibly cheap (like, "AMD board drilled for Intel stock cooler mounting so they wouldn't have to make new parts" cheap) - but on the plus side, once I'd discarded the chaff I was left with a Ryzen 5 2400G, a Realtek RTL8821CE wifi card, a 1tb WD Blue HDD and a couple right-angle SATA cables, so merry christmas to me :q:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

melon cat posted:

Ah poo poo sorry- fixed the link. But here it is again

After looking at some reviews it seems that this line uses standardized components, which is a positive. The price is okay given current parts costs.

The case is terrible, though, and has virtually no airflow. The PSU will also limit future upgrade options.

If you don't want to build your own, you could probably spec something similar or slightly better and get Canada Computers to build it for you for a similar price.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 27, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Went with the 6750 XT. Thank you all for your feedback.

See you in hell, GTA 4 video memory error message screen!

Gonna give those goons in Arkham asylum 200 fps worth of beatdowns.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you need a fast SSD and missed the black friday deals, Newegg has the SN 850X on sale

$170 for 2TB
$380 for 4TB

https://www.newegg.com/western-digi...-247-_-12262022

e:Amazon too

https://www.amazon.com/WD_BLACK-SN850X-Internal-Gaming-Solid/dp/B0B7CMZ3QH

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 26, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
After deciding that my poo poo garbage 8650u dell laptop was not up to snuff as a dedicated streamlabs machine (eating hdmi from the game rig via a dongle) i did a stupid today. Originally started out looking at budget 5600g builds (i want to run software encoding and will not be gaming on this machine) and got bullied, shamed and baited into buying:

Tuf z690 atx board($50 at microcenter bundled with the chip)
2x32 of the ole ripjaws - got 5600 speed though i'm to understand the chip doesnt need anything more than 4800, figured i'd get the nicer stuff for an extra $20. I may fill it out next month as my Ryzen has 128gb and bigram is just funny
Corsair 750w modular
Elgato cam link pro (adorama's got 'em for $149 and they'll do 1440p60 which is my game machine's res)
USB cards and backplates to bring every port i can out; this'll bring it to 22 USB ports and 4 HDMI inputs.
Using a spare wd black 500gb ssd i picked up a bit ago and never ended up using
...and the best part, which i can't stop giggling about

lian li odyssey X since nobody bought them and microcenter is dumping them at $149. it's ridiculous.

The backplane-on-top setup really appeals to me as this'll be on the floor and i'll be constantly hooking up random hdmi and usb devices.

e: and yep. no gpu. Yet, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I currently have a self-built gaming setup based on
  • Mainboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING Z490
  • CPU:Intel Core i5-10600K
  • CPU Cooling: be quiet! Pure Loop 360mm Watercooling
  • Graphics: GiBy 8GB D6 RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G
  • RAM: D432GB 3200-16 Vengeance LPX K2 COR
  • Power: Thermaltake Toughpower PF1 850W

Now it's running into performance issues with RTX games, especially the Witcher 3 Next Gen version.
Apparently those games are very demanding on the CPU (?).

According to this list
https://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/asus-rog-strix-z490-f-gaming/cpu
The biggest update would be the i9-11900K, but cheaper CPUs rank much better in the Single-Core Effective Value.

So I guess I'm wondering if my CPU might be a bottleneck to the 3070, if an upgrade of the CPU would make sense and if that's the case what CPU would be best for my so setup.