Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

a big post about the phenomena of video games adapting visual styles that were a product of the limitations of hardware when the hardware limitations no longer apply and are thus able to create a game that perfectly would visually fit into a previous generations of hardware releases but has features and content that would have been impossible on said generation of hardware.

stardew valley.
wrestling empire.
vampire survivor.
dwarf fortress.

there are more examples i am forgetting i am sure.

Without considering things like SquareEnix remakes, a number of mobile games would fit this ouevre, albeit with their own hardware limitations (ie touchscreen interface)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

the big thing is these games do stuff that wouldn't be possible on the hardware their visual style is emulating. mobile games is an arena i have not spent much time in but i totally see this being true of most of them.

we're at the point in video games where there is basically photorealistic graphics, and everything else. for most games picking a visual style and going with it seems a better idea than trying to emulate reality perfectly.

i really like the games that seem to aspire to be a perfect game that never existed from an era in the past, i am finding.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ohtori Akio
when are we getting more sailing-based celdalikes

Heather Papps

hello friend

Ohtori Akio posted:

when are we getting more sailing-based celdalikes

how there isn't a wind waker esque rogue like with randomly generated islands mixed in with custom builds i'll never understand

Ohtori Akio

Heather Papps posted:

how there isn't a wind waker esque rogue like with randomly generated islands mixed in with custom builds i'll never understand

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/sail-forth-switch/

Heather Papps

hello friend

dang

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay i want a video game where you get to build and customize a giant mech suit, and fight battles in real time from inside said mech suit. it should be kind of slow.

this game surely does not exist, right, no way it could.

Bobby Deluxe

i want to play mechwarrior mercenaries but in a modern engine, specifically customising loadouts

Ohtori Akio
that sounds kinda like mechwarrior 5 op but i'll keep looking

Ohtori Akio
i did hear mw5 is not incredible. and i do not love highly licensed games like that where they're building off some tabletop thing instead of making fiction for the video game on its own

Bobby Deluxe

what i specifically liked was having the internal space and weight allowance and then choosing where on the chassis to put stuff like guns, lazers, missiles etc

and then grouping the weapons and playing a flight sim with legs

ideally no devs with uhhh interesting political views involved

Farecoal

There he go

Heather Papps posted:

okay i want a video game where you get to build and customize a giant mech suit, and fight battles in real time from inside said mech suit. it should be kind of slow.

MechWarrior Online! (it's bad)

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i miss hawken so much sometimes

the starting mech ruled

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Sarah Cenia posted:

i miss hawken so much sometimes

the starting mech ruled

hawken owned :rip:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Heather Papps

hello friend

k so i bought the steam dwarf fortress. would there be any interest among the yobgamers in doing a thread where we trade game files after a predetermined amount of in game time?

Nosfereefer i think started one a few years ago that was a blast and i am thinking it may be time for another swing of the pick axe.

Ohtori Akio
i simply ask that you make me a dwarf, and an evil one at that

Finger Prince

I have never played dwarf fortress.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Ohtori Akio posted:

i simply ask that you make me a dwarf, and an evil one at that

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

I have never played dwarf fortress.

it's really good

Ohtori Akio

"disdains introspection" that's right

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

it's really good

Make me a dwarf that is ignorant of all things related to dwarfs and/or fortresses.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

Make me a dwarf that is ignorant of all things related to dwarfs and/or fortresses.

Bobby Deluxe

i would also like to dwarf

Heather Papps

hello friend

this actually rules it's really hard to explain

Heather Papps

hello friend

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i would also like to dwarf

Bobby Deluxe

that looks like a pretty good dwarf

Heather Papps

hello friend

gotta make some chairs

sb hermit

Bobby Deluxe posted:

that looks like a pretty good dwarf

frump truck

hello... again!

woah this game has tilesets? I never tried it because I thought it was all beep boop boop @@@@@

Ohtori Akio

frump truck posted:

woah this game has tilesets? I never tried it because I thought it was all beep boop boop @@@@@

they even let you pay thirty bucks for it on steam now it rules

frump truck

hello... again!

Ohtori Akio posted:

they even let you pay thirty bucks for it on steam now it rules

o_____________O;

Ass-penny

like ten years ago I played D&D with some dudes who played Dwarf Fortress. "a dwarf surrounded by dwarves," followed by laughing. this is all I have ever known of the game and in spite of positive reviews I will never play it. thanks for coming to my ted talk.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Farecoal

There he go
The Steam version comes with a reworked interface (previously it was mostly keyboard based) and a built-in tileset (the game is tile based and was represented using ASCII characters by default), where previously there were only user-made ones. The free version is and will still be available and updated, as far as I know.

I doubt I will ever get the Steam version unless they stop updating the free one. I never had a problem with the old interface after playing for a bit*.

*except for the military stuff, that was always confusing

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 26, 2022

more falafel please

forums poster

put me in coach

I'm ready to dorf

today

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

biosterous

dwarf me please hp

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
playing final fantasy xiv again for the first time in a couple months and i am very excited

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

dwarf me please hp

will do. also my chest is filled with warmth this maybe the first time my brother is using family sharing on steam to play my games, instead of the other way around. (it's df)

sb hermit

barclayed posted:

playing final fantasy xiv again for the first time in a couple months and i am very excited

Which server?

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

sb hermit posted:

Which server?

mateus, crystal

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

barclayed posted:

mateus, crystal