Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Slashrat posted:

It's less a portable hideout your party can roleplay around, and more just a 1/day special ability to rest safely

The safety isn't even guaranteed. I mean, any number of random things could happen to it. And RAW, you can hear the outside area as though you were in the space outside the lamp, but it doesn't say anything about any other sort of percepting the outside. Y'all could be chilling and a sufficiently stealthy creature could abscond with it, then boom, the party wakes up in the middle of nowhere with no idea what the hell happened.
Or the DM could begin with "As you wake up, you hear the sound of wind whipping past, almost like your magic lamp was being carried in the claws of a dragon."

You know, if they really wanted to punish you for having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

the_steve posted:

The safety isn't even guaranteed. I mean, any number of random things could happen to it. And RAW, you can hear the outside area as though you were in the space outside the lamp, but it doesn't say anything about any other sort of percepting the outside. Y'all could be chilling and a sufficiently stealthy creature could abscond with it, then boom, the party wakes up in the middle of nowhere with no idea what the hell happened.
Or the DM could begin with "As you wake up, you hear the sound of wind whipping past, almost like your magic lamp was being carried in the claws of a dragon."

You know, if they really wanted to punish you for having fun.

That would be a kickass way of starting a great session/adventure if the DM put some planning into it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That would be a kickass way of starting a great session/adventure if the DM put some planning into it.

Ooh yeah. Fun little balance of trying to escape while also looting as much treasure as you can without waking the dragon.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If you popped out of the ring while the dragon was holding it and flying through the air, would you just be falling?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

boxen posted:

If you popped out of the ring while the dragon was holding it and flying through the air, would you just be falling?

You make a rapid transition from your Planar Pocket to the dragon’s Prison Pocket.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The dragon is all "aw yiss a genie, time to wish my hoard bigger!" Except he gets your party. Better talk fast if you don't want to be crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Now your party owes a dragon enough loot to double his hoard. Because he's getting his wish, one way or another.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Ran my annual Christmas pickup game.

Decided on a pulp game of fate accelerated, in the 30s. The deluded Doctor Scrooge had hypnotized New York’s philanthropists into giving him all their money. He was opposed by a circus performer, his descendent from the 29th century, and his sister’s “roommate” Penny, the karate enthusiast/reporter.

Among their antics:
— the descendent Red-714 being so out of touch he described a beating as “Don’t worry, those gentlemen just wanted to show me the bottom of their shoes.”
—Red annoying the family so much they were excused from post-dinner singing, allowing them to continue adventuring without losing time.
—Penny being the only one to succeed more than once in melee combat
—Circus acrobat Marc wrestling the villain into a headlock Noogie.

The session ended with Dr. Scrooge and his future elve-sisstants creating a time/weather for tax on the top of the Empire State building, red using it to jump into the future, and the players escaping in an antigravity sleigh.

The game is wall-to-wall action and despite running a game annually for decades, this was easily top-3 .

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I had another session with three new players, including one who it was the first game ever.

Siblings Jim and “Madame” Valerie Schmidt were roped into service by Frank Hefner, millionaire adventurer snob. While investigating why LA was going to 3° on December 25, they fought Canadian elementalist Jacques Frost, first battling summoned sabertooth tigers at La Brea tar pits, and then climbing to the Hollywoodland sign through a blizzard! The guy who played the millionaire was amazing, truly embodied being an elitist Harvard prick. Madame Valerie listened in to the first half of the game before joining and killing it as a scheming Hollywood Boulevard mystic with flashes of real power.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 8, 2023

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Golden Bee posted:

I had another session with three new players, including one who it was the first game ever.

Siblings Jim and “Madame” Valerie Schmidt were roped into service by Frank Hefner, millionaire adventurer snob. While investigating why LA was going to 3° on December 25, they fought Canadian elementalist Jacques Frost, first battling summoned sabertooth tigers at La Brea tar pits, and then climbing to the Hollywoodland sign through a blizzard! The guy who played the millionaire was amazing, truly embodied being an elitist Harvard prick. Madame Valerie listened into the first half of the game before joining and killing it as a scheming Hollywood Boulevard mystic with flashes of real power.

Awesome! I love a good pulp RPG session.

Meanwhile, my DM ran an XMas Delta Green game for his wife, my son, and her stepsibling. All my son would tell me is, "you guys are SO screwed when he runs it for you."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Golden Bee posted:

Siblings Jim and “Madame” Valerie Schmidt were roped into service by Frank Hefner, millionaire adventurer snob. While investigating why LA was going to 3° on December 25, they fought Canadian elementalist Jacques Frost, first battling summoned sabertooth tigers at La Brea tar pits, and then climbing to the Hollywoodland sign through a blizzard! The guy who played the millionaire was amazing, truly embodied being an elitist Harvard prick. Madame Valerie listened into the first half of the game before joining and killing it as a scheming Hollywood Boulevard mystic with flashes of real power.

Oh hey, somebody else picked up Spirit of the Season. It's a pretty good book for villains for exactly this purpose!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, the spell is Mage Hand, not Testicular Torsion.

My argument was that testicles are under 10 pounds, and you can manipulate them.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Torn between "You should ask for consent first" and "Maybe yours :smug:"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Torn between "You should ask for consent first" and "Maybe yours :smug:"

"YOU try telling that dragon he's got 10-pound balls."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Science city Saga!
With this ring, I thee…DEAD?
Jonesy knew the rule: forever hold your piece.
December 31, 1935, Kochi Japan. Raymond “Jonesy” Jones had plans to get rich: one, win the first ever sky-athalon; second, pose as his friend Javid to play photographer at a royal wedding.

Plan one went bust immediately, when fashion plate Mary Willard did the athletic section of the foot/plane/motorcycle triathlon in kitten heels. It went even more bust when Jonesey’s teammate, Mexican college-boy detective Mateo Ortiz, tried to run opponents off the track and careened through a cactus patch.

The group discovered that the race was crooked, and challenged the cheater Sunny Bounder to an aerial race through the forest section. Through aggressive “counter” cheating, the group was able to win back their money and more, with only a mild risk of dismemberment.

Next was the wedding, which involved one of Jones’s old contacts, rich New Zealander Carl Giltrap, and the broke Baroness Kujo Kimiko. They were supposed to be married at midnight, and would’ve, except for a few factors:
*One of the wedding guests attached himself to Mateo, showing off a beautiful ring that was secretly property of a deadly Indian cult;
*The fact Kimiko didn’t love Carl, and actually loved wedding photographer Yoshi;
*That the actual heir, Kujo Shohei, was chained up in the basement, murderously mad at his parents for trying to steal his birthright.

The players dealt with these issues, mostly through deceit and chicanery. But MVP was “Hollywood psychic” Madame Valera. Not only did she spin an amazing web of deceit, convincing Kimiko to return for a super quick 11:58 PM wedding that she administered, and redirecting Shohei’s anger in a way that prevented scandal; she also defeated several cultists, throwing heavy bracelets to knock them off a slippery railing and into the sea.

Though battered and bruised, the players made some new allies, and only a few new lifetime enemies.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 30, 2024

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to our Cleric’s player, Christian apocrypha is part of the Director’s Cut of the Bible, while the Book of Mormon is fanfic.

This came up during discussion of how to properly pronounce Asmodeus.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Vatican release the extended Harrowing of Hell cut in 16K, you cowards

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Vatican release the extended Harrowing of Hell cut in 16K, you cowards

...my DM is taking this as a personal challenge. What have you done, Ichabod Sexbeast? What have you done?!?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

...my DM is taking this as a personal challenge. What have you done, Ichabod Sexbeast? What have you done?!?

And so begins...

The Next Incursion of Chaos! :ohoho:

fakeedit: wait we don't have an anime "OHOHOHOHO!" disdainful villain laugh smiley?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

According to our Cleric’s player, Christian apocrypha is part of the Director’s Cut of the Bible, while the Book of Mormon is fanfic.

This came up during discussion of how to properly pronounce Asmodeus.

There was a gif used on Fandom Wank that used similar sentiments, with Martin Luther saying “Stick to canon n00bs” and Joseph Smith saying he wrote this cool fanfic with Jesus going to America and so on

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

So this is what our DM is throwing at us in Ravenloft's Tepest domain right now...

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the bodak piloting or breaking out?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Podima posted:

Is the bodak piloting or breaking out?

Yes.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You can’t see the other one in there mirroring its movements; they’re driving it like a jaeger.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tonight I had a player blow up a plot twist because they knew more about bugs than I thought anyone else in the game would.

In the game (we're using Worlds Without Number for a sandbox adventure campaign), the players have been exploring a dungeon for a bit and were coming up on the end of it. I had a random encounter table, and one of the encounters I jotted down just off the cuff was "Mosquito-folk adventurers" and that was it. I didn't think to develop the idea further, so when the PCs rolled a random encounter and got that one, I had to improvise a bit. I know that only female mosquitos drink blood, and only for egg production. Earlier in the dungeon, the players had run across the Crimson Root, plant-people from the terrible blood-drinking tree at the center of the planet, who had people strapped into root growths that were drinking their blood while the Root fed and cared for them to keep blood production going. The PCs had defeated the Crimson Root and freed their victims. So I thought a neat idea would be if one of the mosquito-folk were pregnant and needed blood, specifically mammal blood, and they had been stealing it from the victims held by the Root. Well the players rolled great on their reaction roll and the adventurers were pretty friendly, sharing information about the dungeon, telling the PCs they'd only recently gotten there. In truth one of their goals was to get more blood for their pregnant wizard, but they didn't say that because the PCs revealed they'd already saved those people.

One of the players decided to ask the mosquito-folk what it was like being blood-drinkers (this was an ugly lie leveraged against the mosquito-folk before the revolution). One other player jumped in with "well mosquitos don't actually all drink blood" and just laid out all the facts I already knew too for everyone. I was not expecting people to know that poo poo! So as the PCs explored more of the dungeon they began to realize that something was off with the mosquito-folks' story, seeing evidence that a group had been there before and for longer than a day. They eventually followed them back to their camp and hung out a bit to chat. The player who knew about mosquito biology used the spell Elemental Spy to enchant a rock, letting their PC use it to see and hear as if they were standing right there. After leaving, the mosquitos talked about their problems, never directly saying that they needed to get blood, but definitely dropping some hints that not everything was as it seemed. Well, since we were at the end of the session I decided that it would only make sense to solidify this hook for later.

I made the player roll a Luck save, they failed, so I decided that they would see the worst version of things. They watched as the mosquito-folk dragged a person into their camp with a hood over their head, this person was revealed to be a bandit that the rest of the group had encountered, which made it much funnier when they had to describe them to everyone else so that they would know it was someone they'd met. The female mosquito-person drank the guy's blood, but left him alive to be fed and dragged off to make more blood, and we ended the scene there with the truth revealed and a promise of a visit to their settlement by the mosquito-folk. The question is how they're going to handle this situation, which seems like it could be huge.

Basically when I made up this whole scenario I was not expecting anyone else to know about mosquito feeding habits, and they loving called the whole plot twist from the jump without even knowing it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

quote:

Basically when I made up this whole scenario I was not expecting anyone else to know about mosquito feeding habits, and they loving called the whole plot twist from the jump without even knowing it.
Yeah, I don’t run bug villains when I know my doctor of entomology player is going to be there.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 18, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah, I don’t run bug villains when I know my doctor of entomology player is going to be there.

Dumb choice. Real way is to have a npc talk about the villain and be like 'and they say he has giant ladybugs and like, obviously those are pushovers and no threat' and wait for him to correct the guy with a list of their various lethal threats

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tunicate posted:

Dumb choice. Real way is to have a npc talk about the villain and be like 'and they say he has giant ladybugs and like, obviously those are pushovers and no threat' and wait for him to correct the guy with a list of their various lethal threats

Man, I've played Grounded. Ladybugs are a serious early-mid game obstacle, and the aggressive ones in the upper yard keep you on your toes into the endgame.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Was trying out a new scenario with random players. They picked up the game pretty quickly and then One had to leave during break… And then everyone left. An unbreakable law of online play: always get more players for a session then you think you’ll need.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Golden Bee posted:

I will run weird bio villains and things with my 2 bioscience players and just workshop the weird science stuff with them before or in the middle.

A large amount of the X-COM Files game I'm running's autopsies come from saying a few things and just letting them speculate until something sounds right.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

**With this ring, I thee…DEAD?**

Last week I ran players through part one of the Zolotznihe quartet, set in the 1930s. A lot of clever plans to get through a maze of tunnels underneath Odessa, plus throwing an unkillable Vampyr creature into the occult equivalent of a nuclear silo.

This week, we started the Jewels of Erie by JC Connors.
A quest vs vengeful gangsters, a mysterious cult, and a secret cabal of master thieves.

The most intriguing moment was when we had to cross the narrow rope bridge surrounded by bats, and all four women of the party (strict nun, tour guide, stunt woman, and mystic orphan) worked together to pull the lone man to safety. It’s worth mentioning that François, the man, was a 300-pound Canadian logger.

The most comedic moment was when we saw our annoying rival, The Grey Gargoyle, at a fancy party, and pointedly introduced him to the nun. (“Hey, I’d love you to meet sister Ynez… this is the guy who made a movie about himself!”)

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2024

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yesterday the X-COM Files Agents encountered their first no poo poo aliens after the Vietnamese air force splashed a UFO over the central highlands in a chance encounter. Turns out when you have a plasma cannon on top of your ship you're still able to be tracked by heat seekers.

They went into the central highlands jungles to look for the ship along with a squad of Vietnamese infantry at the behest of the government, because they've been doing well at being respectable and so countries are willing to ask them for help and they have elerium detection equipment that allowed them to search for the wreck by air. This let them find it quickly enough to let their academic have a terrifying couple of moments of trying to figure out an alien scuttling charge before it overloaded the crashed UFO's power core, helped out by their FBI agent as they both tried to improvise from knowing the explosive was using elerium and not much else. They then used their giant malamute+maybe something else like wolf (they don't know) Agent Pat to help them track the aliens through the jungle, and discovered the little aliens they were following had been rescued a few hours ago and something much bigger was heading back to the crash site, from the tracks.

They had to fight a pair of Mutons over the crash site, who'd been sent in to disable the scuttling charge and tag the ship for recovery since the crew had been rescued successfully. Bigass green-armored purple guys with giant plasma guns. Their soldier took two shots after trying to flashbang the things, but thankfully low damage rolls saved his life. Then the academic brought up the TASER CANNON, an experimental weapon that drains half a car battery in a shot, and that worked, plus the FBI agent (who doubles as a sniper) just kept nailing Stunt shots that let her ignore their armor. Between that and the Vietnamese troops with them, they managed to kill one of them. Before the other could fire, the soldier, realizing how much trouble he was in and being a grappling specialist, charged, tripped the creature, and put it in a hold by surprise. Actually doing significant damage, even. It punched him in the chest hard enough to dent his advanced plastic breastplate and almost shatter his ribs, then got tackled again by the giant dog who nearly dragged it to the ground, before it got shot in the knee, tazed, their investigator tried to cuff it, and then the vietnamese soldiers shot it until it was unconscious.

Sadly, they can't keep the thing alive for too long as they don't understand alien biology well yet, but capturing one of them gives them time to analyze a living alien and ensure they can take future ones alive. Plus, they got a UFO power source! And alloys! And their first experience being almost shot to death with extremely lethal plasma weapons. A good time was had by all. After that, they'll have to go back to their greatest challenge: Getting a rich person arrested in America and making it stick.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Yesterday the X-COM Files Agents encountered their first no poo poo aliens after the Vietnamese air force splashed a UFO over the central highlands in a chance encounter. Turns out when you have a plasma cannon on top of your ship you're still able to be tracked by heat seekers.

They went into the central highlands jungles to look for the ship along with a squad of Vietnamese infantry at the behest of the government, because they've been doing well at being respectable and so countries are willing to ask them for help and they have elerium detection equipment that allowed them to search for the wreck by air. This let them find it quickly enough to let their academic have a terrifying couple of moments of trying to figure out an alien scuttling charge before it overloaded the crashed UFO's power core, helped out by their FBI agent as they both tried to improvise from knowing the explosive was using elerium and not much else. They then used their giant malamute+maybe something else like wolf (they don't know) Agent Pat to help them track the aliens through the jungle, and discovered the little aliens they were following had been rescued a few hours ago and something much bigger was heading back to the crash site, from the tracks.

They had to fight a pair of Mutons over the crash site, who'd been sent in to disable the scuttling charge and tag the ship for recovery since the crew had been rescued successfully. Bigass green-armored purple guys with giant plasma guns. Their soldier took two shots after trying to flashbang the things, but thankfully low damage rolls saved his life. Then the academic brought up the TASER CANNON, an experimental weapon that drains half a car battery in a shot, and that worked, plus the FBI agent (who doubles as a sniper) just kept nailing Stunt shots that let her ignore their armor. Between that and the Vietnamese troops with them, they managed to kill one of them. Before the other could fire, the soldier, realizing how much trouble he was in and being a grappling specialist, charged, tripped the creature, and put it in a hold by surprise. Actually doing significant damage, even. It punched him in the chest hard enough to dent his advanced plastic breastplate and almost shatter his ribs, then got tackled again by the giant dog who nearly dragged it to the ground, before it got shot in the knee, tazed, their investigator tried to cuff it, and then the vietnamese soldiers shot it until it was unconscious.

Sadly, they can't keep the thing alive for too long as they don't understand alien biology well yet, but capturing one of them gives them time to analyze a living alien and ensure they can take future ones alive. Plus, they got a UFO power source! And alloys! And their first experience being almost shot to death with extremely lethal plasma weapons. A good time was had by all. After that, they'll have to go back to their greatest challenge: Getting a rich person arrested in America and making it stick.

What system are you using for this again? Sounds sick as hell

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

What system are you using for this again? Sounds sick as hell

Modern AGE. The Stunts and things work well enough and it's a decent action-adventure 'broadly competent PCs' system.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, the spell is Catapult, not Power Word: Yeet.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, the spell is Catapult, not Power Word: Yeet.

Well no, Power Word: Yeet is the 9th level version

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Well no, Power Word: Yeet is the 9th level version
I'm guessing at that point the Yeeting involves extraplanar travel

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

I'm guessing at that point the Yeeting involves extraplanar travel

The most unhinged sages, who have spent far too long contemplating the Far Realms, claim that in the depths of the unknowable madness they have seen something resembling a hoop

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
the universe is a wheel. you know what else is a wheel? a circle. you know what a hoop is made of? a circle. QED the universe is a hoop and the ultimate goal of existence is to dunk it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

The_Final_Stand posted:

the universe is a wheel. you know what else is a wheel? a circle. you know what a hoop is made of? a circle. QED the universe is a hoop and the ultimate goal of existence is to dunk it.

Tanicus Gaiden: The 4th Incursion of Chaos Dunking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Final_Stand posted:

Oh, so you've read Slam Six Billion Jams