Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the other plausible theory is that the "view counter" is counting the number of times the tweet is fetched from the backend store, so internal twitter systems for analysis or search indexing or whatever could run up the number

that would explain the phantom views on locked accounts with no followers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ech

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ymgve posted:

The whole discussion started because someone noticed their blocked account gained views on a tweet no one else could have seen, so if that's true they definitely count multiple hits from the same IP and/or account. The question then isn't "are they doing it" which is what you seem to be trying to argue against, but "why are they doing it" which is what I'm trying to argue.

High view counts give the poster an endorphin rush, encouraging them to stay on Twitter, posting more content.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Devils Affricate posted:

Why are stories of Teslas failing to handle freezing weather trending now? That poo poo has been happening since the first Model S.

The narrative is now that Musk is an idiot, so nobody is memory-holing information that doesn't fit their biases anymore

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Imo you should be able to cash in likes and views for valuable prizes, carny style.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a spider ring for each viral tweet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

putin is a oval office posted:

Fingerprinting impressions has got almost nothing to do with IP address lol. And no it doesn't because your fingerprint is already stored for a multitude of other poo poo. Every company interested in analytics has our digital fingerprint already.

https://ssd.eff.org/module/what-fingerprinting

and you think these fingerprints take more less data to store than a single int?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tunicate posted:

and you think these fingerprints take more less data to store than a single int?

Yeah, what he doesn't get is that while the fingerprint is pretty small, storing every single one as it happens so that you can eliminate duplicate views is loving huge. It's users* number of tweets they have ever seen.

Twitter isn't doing that, there's no big table storing every tweet every user has ever seen

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

The narrative is now that Musk is an idiot, so nobody is memory-holing information that doesn't fit their biases anymore

isnt there that dude who works on tesla rich who made alot videos about the issues?

gently caress i remember a news story from years ago about a dude who bought a tesla and worked on it himself and said someething like its put together like legos

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

ymgve posted:

The whole discussion started because someone noticed their blocked account gained views on a tweet no one else could have seen, so if that's true they definitely count multiple hits from the same IP and/or account. The question then isn't "are they doing it" which is what you seem to be trying to argue against, but "why are they doing it" which is what I'm trying to argue.

No actually I was quite clear, I asked "is there any reason to think this" and no one cited the example you just did. That's exactly the kind of information I was asking for, thank you. I still think it's more likely that the blocked account unintentionally received impressions than the other way around, but that's a different thing.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 26, 2022

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Tunicate posted:

They are already stored. For other uses, they don't need to store any new data for impressions other than perhaps a foreign key (an int) to the correct fingerprint.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, what he doesn't get is that while the fingerprint is pretty small, storing every single one as it happens so that you can eliminate duplicate views is loving huge. It's users* number of tweets they have ever seen.

Twitter isn't doing that, there's no big table storing every tweet every user has ever seen

Jesus that is not how any of this works, the fingerprint isn't stored against every impression lol

The fingerprint is CHECKED before the impression is stored.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

No actually I was quite clear, I asked "is there any reason to think this" and no one cited the example you just did. That's exactly the kind of information I was asking for, thank you. I still think it's more likely that the blocked account unintentionally received impressions than the other way around, but that's a different thing.

Actually I was wrong, the banned account that gained views were a few days ago (too lazy to look for it in the 1000 pages since then) but this time it was someone that claimed that just bot-refreshing doubled their view count without any special tricks, from the same IP

https://twitter.com/tezawaly/status/1606100532120227840

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They are already stored. For other uses, they don't need to store any new data for impressions other than perhaps a foreign key (an int) to the correct fingerprint.

so is that more or less data than one int per tweet?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

Actually I was wrong, the banned account that gained views were a few days ago (too lazy to look for it in the 1000 pages since then) but this time it was someone that claimed that just bot-refreshing doubled their view count without any special tricks, from the same IP

https://twitter.com/tezawaly/status/1606100532120227840

Again, I'm not saying it's not wrong, I'm saying that dupe counts are unlikely to be the reason. It'll be bots and poo poo like that. This supports that, because his refresh should have bumped it up by one, not doubled it.

People are posting at me like I'm backing up Elon here but I'm not. It's a patently stupid metric to use for what he's using it for. But this kind of deduplication of visitors is commonplace, well understood and easily implemented in analytics. And Twitter absolutely would have had a dedicated analytics team pre-Elon.

I know you guys think I'm full of poo poo though so I'll bow out, I didn't mean to cause such a big derail, my apologies.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

repiv posted:

the other plausible theory is that the "view counter" is counting the number of times the tweet is fetched from the backend store, so internal twitter systems for analysis or search indexing or whatever could run up the number

View counter is probably just (significantly) delayed / eventually consistent like YouTube’s.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

^^^ lmao check out this Musk lover

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Teratrain posted:

How do you mispronounce twat

"It's pronounced 'Thwaite'."

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so if this is still the thread to talk about twitter's slow decay... the sports games they highlight usually has a box score when you click through to the page in trending topics. it no longer actually updates with the score but instead is just frozen, telling you what time the game starts. so even though grizzlies/warriors already ended, on the twitter page for it it just says, starts at 5PM (PST).

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

^^^ lmao check out this Musk lover

As the person who registered http://lowtax.express I assure you I do not love the Elon

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Jelly posted:

I think in the spirit of Christmas, despite the GBS mod having the quicker trigger, it would be nice if he was still awarded a Mariah Carey image.

I got one after they got off their lazy rear end (or waited for the first to expire, no concurrent sentences, which I admire).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Escape Goat posted:

As the person who registered http://lowtax.express I assure you I do not love the Elon

:buddy:, but also reported for doxxing

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Again, I'm not saying it's not wrong, I'm saying that dupe counts are unlikely to be the reason. It'll be bots and poo poo like that. This supports that, because his refresh should have bumped it up by one, not doubled it.

People are posting at me like I'm backing up Elon here but I'm not. It's a patently stupid metric to use for what he's using it for. But this kind of deduplication of visitors is commonplace, well understood and easily implemented in analytics. And Twitter absolutely would have had a dedicated analytics team pre-Elon.

I know you guys think I'm full of poo poo though so I'll bow out, I didn't mean to cause such a big derail, my apologies.

Just another data point, I literally just took a tweet from a random nobody account posted over a day ago from 28 views to over 100 views, simply by refreshing in Firefox for some minutes. You can do this experiment yourself! They clearly count multiple hits from the same IP, hell even the same tracking cookies!

(It doesn't update instantly though, only once per minute or so. Also I think ad blockers might interfere with whatever they use to count hits)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 26, 2022

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Strong Sauce posted:

so if this is still the thread to talk about twitter's slow decay... the sports games they highlight usually has a box score when you click through to the page in trending topics. it no longer actually updates with the score but instead is just frozen, telling you what time the game starts. so even though grizzlies/warriors already ended, on the twitter page for it it just says, starts at 5PM (PST).

Yup, it's borked

Interesting

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Working on it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was there more context to why elon was apparently flying around the west coast and plugging or unplugging twitter servers?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I think he's just tearing all the copper wiring out of the walls so he can sell it to a guy he knows.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I'm just disappointed that the stock market is closed tomorrow so we have to wait until Tuesday for some more financial LOLs.

That's not to say Musk won't post something stupid tomorrow, that's already a given.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Was there more context to why elon was apparently flying around the west coast and plugging or unplugging twitter servers?

Purely a cost saving exercise with no knowledge at all of how important those costs were.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Like my dad driving two towns over to save a cent on gas

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

He wrote some payment platform decades ago that was so poorly coded that it had to be scrapped and rewritten yet he thinks that proves his place as a software engineer in 2022.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Lol, the next OFAC scan is due on 12/27 and there's no way Elon has anyone in charge of scanning the Twitter customer base for sanctioned entity trade violations vis a vis blue check subs

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
It's probably fine; the FTC is a famously chill regulatory body

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

I slightly worry about suggesting to Lonnie that "laminated windshields don't shower you in glass shards, unlike door windows" without telling him that they're supposed to do that to allow you a way out instead of trapping you in the car, because he's dumb enough to make that poo poo mandatory.

But only slight worry because if you're paying good money for a Tesla after all this, you kinda deserve to let the car kill you, HAL-style.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1607194209391362048

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just watched Glass Onion and was impressed that Rian Johnson had clocked Elon as a complete moron well before it became absolutely blindingly obvious judging by when he would have written the script.

Rian if you post here show yourself

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I just watched Glass Onion and was impressed that Rian Johnson had clocked Elon as a complete moron well before it became absolutely blindingly obvious judging by when he would have written the script.

Rian if you post here show yourself

He would have started the script years after Elon got in a public slapfight with a volunteer rescue diver who had gently told him to stay in his lane after he proposed using submersible coffins to ferry kids out of a flooded cave, so it's not anything particularly visionary, just having his eyes open.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Top Kek Elon

Very cool

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

repiv posted:

that's exactly the sort of bug that i have caused multiple times so checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Lol, the next OFAC scan is due on 12/27 and there's no way Elon has anyone in charge of scanning the Twitter customer base for sanctioned entity trade violations vis a vis blue check subs

i would love you to elaborate for those of us who are not the correct kind of wizard