Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

bikers where I live are refusing to use the new bike lines that the local council installed because they are used to riding 3 to 4 abreast and they think it's unfair that they are expected to ride in single file

Those are cyclists. Bikers ride motorcycles.

Also they’re right.

CopperHound posted:

Post a picture of the bike lanes so I can call you an idiot.

Why wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

bikers where I live are refusing to use the new bike lines that the local council installed because they are used to riding 3 to 4 abreast and they think it's unfair that they are expected to ride in single file

how full of trash, sewer grates, manhole covers, and uneven pavement are they?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My city has "bike lanes" where it's just a small sign on what otherwise is a highway. Sometimes there isn't even a sign and the "lane" only exists in a press release.

My money is on a non-separated gutter though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Glenn's cyclists right

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I love a bike lane that's just painting little bike glyphs on the shoulder of the road, especially when it's got like a 50 mph speed limit.

Honestly might even be worse than sharrows (where they just paint a bike symbol in the middle of the street to... Remind drivers that bikes exist?) since those usually only turn up on pretty quiet residential streets, at least around here

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve seen sharrows on some absolutely insane roads lol

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh I'm sure some glue sniffing dot somewhere painted some on a fuckin divided highway, I would be disappointed otherwise

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hailthefish posted:

I love a bike lane that's just painting little bike glyphs on the shoulder of the road,

Bike witchcraft

Circle of protection: cars

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sharrows have one useful purpose and that is way finding for the best bike routes placing riders in just the right place to get side swiped by someone who thinks they don't need to change lanes before passing:

Try to ignore the see thru bibs.

Note that this is a newish street treatment.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

imo cars should have to drive single file

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

distortion park posted:

post the cycle lane

This is Melbourne, Australia, where the state government opened a bunch of cycle lanes during 2020/21 and is now slowly in the process of closing them. They all more or less look like the ones in this article with bright orange bollards that are slowly being removed. If there are any manhole covers or potholes on them I haven't seen them. I need to stress the big solution people are asking for isn't better bike lanes, but rather no bike lanes at all because they have decided that the concept of separate bike lanes in inherently unsafe.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/traffic-and-road-use/cycling/pop-up-bike-lanes

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If the bollards are flexible and/or being removed then they are less safe than riding in traffic. The false sense of security is easily and fatally intruded on by a wild car or illegal parking, while the cyclists are boxed in by traffic and the curb.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

This is Melbourne, Australia, where the state government opened a bunch of cycle lanes during 2020/21 and is now slowly in the process of closing them. They all more or less look like the ones in this article with bright orange bollards that are slowly being removed. If there are any manhole covers or potholes on them I haven't seen them. I need to stress the big solution people are asking for isn't better bike lanes, but rather no bike lanes at all because they have decided that the concept of separate bike lanes in inherently unsafe.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/traffic-and-road-use/cycling/pop-up-bike-lanes

not a pop up, but tbh I wouldn't use the bike lane at that junction either.

anyway, I can't find any press quotes from melbourne about better bike lanes being bad for cyclists in general, just a lot of stuff like this

quote:

Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Paul Guerra also weighed in this week, saying road changes introduced during the pandemic had caused congestion.

“Not everybody rides a bike in. Not everybody catches a train. Not everybody goes to the theatre on a bicycle. Not everybody goes to a nice restaurant on a bicycle either,” he said. “So I reckon we need a rethink.”

distortion park has issued a correction as of 11:15 on Dec 26, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In fact the most relevant quote from a local cycling group *is* calling for better ones

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/causing-mayhem-pop-up-bike-lanes-in-port-phillip-a-danger-to-cyclists-review-finds-20221114-p5by0o.html posted:

Julie Clutterbuck, from the Port Phillip Bicycle Users Group, said the biggest improvement for cycling safety and accessibility in the area would have been a separated bike lane along Kerferd Road in Albert Park.

But plans to build a lane along that key cycling corridor as part of the pop-up trial were axed because some residents raised concerns about congestion and loss of parking.

“So we’re just left with bits that, I agree, probably have fairly modest benefits,” Clutterbuck said.

“We want to see proper separated bike lanes, so the whole pop-up program is a bit of a sideshow because it wasn’t delivering those things.”

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

distortion park posted:

“Not everybody rides a bike in. Not everybody catches a train. Not everybody goes to the theatre on a bicycle. Not everybody goes to a nice restaurant on a bicycle either,” he said. “So I reckon we need a rethink.”

Absolutely agreed. We need to rethink so that everyone will use trains and bikes.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/strombo/status/1606914353693089792

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lol I've got an uncle who could 200% be on both sides of that conversation

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
drivers are three abreast and refuse to drive otherwise even when they are the only one in the car.

no human needs 12 feet of lane.

it is the self-centered idiocy of the driver that causes the problem, not bicyclists who are actually four people riding next to each other

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/explainer-2023-tax-credits-evs-boost-appeal-95826819

lol

quote:

Certain EV brands that were eligible for a separate tax credit that began in 2010 and that will end this year may not be eligible for the new credit. Several EV models made by Kia, Hyundai and Audi, for example, won't qualify at all because they are manufactured outside North America.

Starting in March, complex provisions will also govern battery components. Forty percent of battery minerals will have to come from North America or a country with a U.S. free trade agreement or be recycled in North America. (That threshold will eventually go to 80%.)

And 50% of the battery parts will have to be made or assembled in North America, eventually rising to 100%.

Starting in 2025, battery minerals cannot come from a “foreign entity of concern,” mainly China and Russia. Battery parts cannot be sourced in those countries starting in 2024 — a troublesome obstacle for the auto industry because numerous EV metals and parts now come from China.

The Energy Department says 29 EV and plug-in models were manufactured in North America in the 2022 and 2023 model years. They’re from Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, GMC, Jeep, Lincoln, Lucid, Nissan, Rivian, Tesla, Volvo, Cadillac, Mercedes and Volkswagen. Yet because of price limits or battery-size requirements, not all these vehicle models will qualify for credits.

Kelley Blue Book says the average EV now costs over $65,000, though lower-priced models are coming.

HOW DOES THE USED-EV CREDIT WORK?

Consumers can receive tax credits of up to $4,000 — or 30% of the vehicle price, whichever is less — for buying EVs that are at least two years old. But the used EV must cost less than $25,000 — a tall order given the starting prices for most EVs on the market. A search on Autotrader.com shows that the Chevy Bolt, the Nissan Leaf and other relatively economical used EVs are listed at $26,000 or more for models dating back to 2019.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

distortion park posted:

In fact the most relevant quote from a local cycling group *is* calling for better ones

I think I should clarify, I'm not saying that every single person who rides a bike is mad at the concept of protected bike lanes. There are supporters of the concept, of course there are, it wouldn't have gotten off the ground if there weren't. I am also talking about a system that has been built pretty haphazardly without a common style guide over the last year or two, so it has what can be generously described as teething problems. What I'm talking about are our version of what in America would be known as "vehicular cyclists", ie. people that believe bicycles should be treated as cars. And as such are mad at the existence of bike lanes because they don't view it as bikes having gained at the expense of cars. But rather as bikes having had their right to the entire road taken away after being forced into a tiny rump state at the side of the road. Which to clarify, isn't their call for bikes to be given sole right to the entire road, but rather for bikes to be... treated as cars, like I said.

I have a mate who works for the Port Phillip city council who told me his main job at the moment is dealing with people who are mad about bike lanes. Of course, among this crowd are motorists mad that part of the road has been taken from them and homeowners who are worried about their property values. But the thing that shocked me is that apparently a lot of the complaints are from cyclists who are offended at the idea that they should need bike lanes. Again, not every single cyclist, but the fact that there's enough of them that they are an important faction that he has to deal with was surprising to me. It's the big issue at the moment, apparently. I also apologise for not proving that the bike lanes here aren't full of open manholes, I honestly didn't think of that when I made that post that people are mad at. I guess I forgot how poo poo infrastructure is in some places, so I didn't think that needed explaining. I wasn't trying to trick people into thinking that the city wasn't full of open manholes. I just kind of assumed that unless I explicitly stated otherwise people would take it on faith that this wasn't the case. And I guess I was wrong. :shrug:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the future is golf carts according to the think tanks
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1607384481333223427?s=20&t=oFS-ekHythN0vDEKUcJvaQ
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1607389616398548994?s=20&t=oFS-ekHythN0vDEKUcJvaQ
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1607450554279825408?s=20&t=oFS-ekHythN0vDEKUcJvaQ

mystes
May 31, 2006

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

I think I should clarify, I'm not saying that every single person who rides a bike is mad at the concept of protected bike lanes. There are supporters of the concept, of course there are, it wouldn't have gotten off the ground if there weren't. I am also talking about a system that has been built pretty haphazardly without a common style guide over the last year or two, so it has what can be generously described as teething problems. What I'm talking about are our version of what in America would be known as "vehicular cyclists", ie. people that believe bicycles should be treated as cars. And as such are mad at the existence of bike lanes because they don't view it as bikes having gained at the expense of cars. But rather as bikes having had their right to the entire road taken away after being forced into a tiny rump state at the side of the road. Which to clarify, isn't their call for bikes to be given sole right to the entire road, but rather for bikes to be... treated as cars, like I said.

I have a mate who works for the Port Phillip city council who told me his main job at the moment is dealing with people who are mad about bike lanes. Of course, among this crowd are motorists mad that part of the road has been taken from them and homeowners who are worried about their property values. But the thing that shocked me is that apparently a lot of the complaints are from cyclists who are offended at the idea that they should need bike lanes. Again, not every single cyclist, but the fact that there's enough of them that they are an important faction that he has to deal with was surprising to me. It's the big issue at the moment, apparently. I also apologise for not proving that the bike lanes here aren't full of open manholes, I honestly didn't think of that when I made that post that people are mad at. I guess I forgot how poo poo infrastructure is in some places, so I didn't think that needed explaining. I wasn't trying to trick people into thinking that the city wasn't full of open manholes. I just kind of assumed that unless I explicitly stated otherwise people would take it on faith that this wasn't the case. And I guess I was wrong. :shrug:
Vehicular cycling people are the loving worst and it's exhausting trying to argue with them

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I say poo poo like "don't put pike lanes adjacent to parked cars" and then people think I'm a vehicular cyclists because I choose to ride in the lane.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

distortion park posted:

imo cars should have to drive single file

to hide their numbers

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

we put in a bike lane that everyone hates, including the cyclists. this is clearly the fault of those ungrateful loving car-hating cyclists

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Covid was nice because a friend of mine with limited mobility was able to get a nice golf cart cheap which has really improved her life.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My mom lives in a city full of retirees and golf carts. They almost get it, and it makes me think golf carts really are a potential bridge away from cars.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Delete two of the wheels and you’ve got yourself a real means of transportation!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

withak posted:

Delete two of the wheels and you’ve got yourself a real means of transportation!

To be fair they are old and constantly injuring themselves doing the simplest tasks. They need three-wheeled ebikes or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

we put in a bike lane that everyone hates, including the cyclists. this is clearly the fault of those ungrateful loving car-hating cyclists

see? we put one in and they kept bitching anyway. they don't even want to use it. this is why you should never build bike lanes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My mom lives in a city full of retirees and golf carts. They almost get it, and it makes me think golf carts really are a potential bridge away from cars.
Yeah I don't think golf carts are really the solution and I understand why some people are annoyed when they get suggested, but I honestly think that just trying to make towns usable with golf carts would actually result in a lot of massive improvements and if you got enough old people using them (even they probably shouldn't be driving golf carts if they can't drive cars) it actually could cause some pretty major shifts to infrastructure in places like florida that would probably also help pedestrians and cyclists, in addition to the pretty big benefit of just getting more people into smaller/slower vehicles

Obviously just as a transitional thing but I think it could be an interesting sort of trick to make this stuff more appealing to americans in the hope that they will eventually change their mind about what they want

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The fun thing about LSVs is that they are often banned from roads with over 45mph speed limits, so maybe we could get some more low speed roads if they reach a critical mass.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Car -> Cart seems less jarring than Car -> Bike & could be a nice way to get folks with carbrain to see their interests align with us sicko-coastal-elitists that want to ride (e)bikes everywhere.

"Hey, if you invest in this infrastructure in your neighborhood, you could ride an electric golf cart in it and avoid traffic!"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the real electric vehicle was right there on the links all the time

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

Yeah I don't think golf carts are really the solution and I understand why some people are annoyed when they get suggested, but I honestly think that just trying to make towns usable with golf carts would actually result in a lot of massive improvements and if you got enough old people using them (even they probably shouldn't be driving golf carts if they can't drive cars) it actually could cause some pretty major shifts to infrastructure in places like florida that would probably also help pedestrians and cyclists, in addition to the pretty big benefit of just getting more people into smaller/slower vehicles

Obviously just as a transitional thing but I think it could be an interesting sort of trick to make this stuff more appealing to americans in the hope that they will eventually change their mind about what they want

Ultra-compact ✅
Safe urban speeds ✅
Non-isolating ✅
Good visibility ✅
Relatively low weight ✅

It's got my vote

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I posted about the golf cart pill many pages ago thnx

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

e-trikes are gaining popularity here in the Philippines because:

A. don't require gas
B. stable enough to ride relatively safely by everyone
C. roomy enough for multiple people to ride (ergo, families)
D. don't require any license (legal loophole)
E. large and fast enough to be taken on a lot of roads

the most basic model there on the left costs about 35,000 PHP, or 630 USD, while the one on the right costs about 1,000 USD

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Polaris makes NEVs

that'll get the lifted truck chuds on board

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mystes posted:

Yeah I don't think golf carts are really the solution and I understand why some people are annoyed when they get suggested, but I honestly think that just trying to make towns usable with golf carts would actually result in a lot of massive improvements and if you got enough old people using them (even they probably shouldn't be driving golf carts if they can't drive cars)

It is so much harder to kill someone with a golf cart than with a car. They're much lighter, they can't go anywhere near as fast, and the fact that they're open means you have much better situational awareness. There are millions of people in America who shouldn't be driving cars who would be fine handling a golf cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah I think trying to position golf carts as a just-wave-a-magic-wand solution to everything (the way stupid people do with electric cars) is dumb but they are imho absolutely a valid path for decreasing car-ification in the ways that electric cars absolutely aren't: they're lighter, they're smaller, they're slower, and these are all good things.

for example, it's possible for normal humans to share the road on a bike on a road intended to be used with golf carts, without being flatly suicidal the way vehicular cycling in fully car oriented infrastructure tends to be

vehicular cycling nutjobs are stupid and I hate them, you're not ~ceding your right to use the whole road~ by building a (good) protected bike lane, you're extending the right to travel by bike to all the people who are terrified of being in traffic pedaling themselves into a heart attack surrounded by two ton metal hulks hurtling past at 50 miles an hour driven by people who actively want to kill them. vehicular cycling is elitist and counterproductive to the goal of increasing bike use, if you want more people to ride bikes more often you need to make infrastructure choices that provide a safe and efficient way to do so, just yelling at people that legally they have the right to ~claim the lane~ and drive just like a car only teaches people that cycling is an insane hobby for suicidal orthodontists with a fetish for lycra

car bad, bike good, golfcart acceptable