Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
When did they change the event rules? As far as I can tell it still requires 3 base structures and starts centered on the player. The exception is the wolf event that doesn't require any base structures.

I see that they changed the seeker event (thank god) but the patch notes don't mention anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
High odds I misread the patch notes. But it doesn't change that enemies now spawn inside that base when they didn't previously, so something is different intended or not.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The wolf event can be really silly since it can happen anywhere. I was in a longship with a buddy a few days ago, he had to step away a moment for his kid so I manned the boat since we were about to hit the plains up, I was making sure to keep us nice and far from the shore so we wouldn't get skeetered or anything. Suddenly the wolf event started and wolves were plopping into the sea all around us, and they chewed the ship to bits and blew us up. RIP.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Please do let me know if you get it to work. I've tried installing it on my deck to no avail.

I got it working. Drop Bepinex into the Valheim folder like normal. Open a terminal window in the Valheim directory. Run this command in that window:

code:

chmod u+x start_game_bepinex.sh

Go to Steam. Right click Valheim (well click the left pad, ykwim). Click properties. Paste the following line in Launch Options:

code:

./start_game_bepinex.sh || %command%

From here, Valheim should launch modded, although for some reason it doesn't show up on the splash page until you install your first plugin

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mischievous Mink posted:

The wolf event can be really silly since it can happen anywhere. I was in a longship with a buddy a few days ago, he had to step away a moment for his kid so I manned the boat since we were about to hit the plains up, I was making sure to keep us nice and far from the shore so we wouldn't get skeetered or anything. Suddenly the wolf event started and wolves were plopping into the sea all around us, and they chewed the ship to bits and blew us up. RIP.

lmaoed you got sea wolved

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Grognan posted:

lmaoed you got sea wolved

Sometimes Valheim has unique and quirky ways of telling you you’re done for the day, but seawolfed is a new one.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I wish the plains biome was a bit more full. It's my favorite biome in terms of looks, but it's also very empty. I hope the devs add some dungeons to it the way they added caves to mountains...

I hope mistlands aren't like this.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Did they nerf deathsquitos at some point? I made a new character for the update who wandered to close to the plains, and he comfortably survived getting strafed by one, even in unupgraded bronze armor.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

They aren't.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Did they nerf deathsquitos at some point? I made a new character for the update who wandered to close to the plains, and he comfortably survived getting strafed by one, even in unupgraded bronze armor.

Yes, it was one of their first balance changes a while ago

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Man, I wish the plains biome was a bit more full. It's my favorite biome in terms of looks, but it's also very empty. I hope the devs add some dungeons to it the way they added caves to mountains...

Mistlands are so different from the rest of the game that even several weeks into playing in them I still find it jarring when I portal back to my plains base. It feels like a totally different game.

Edit: I mean this in the best way possible.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Jabarto posted:

I got two-shot by a deathsquito when I was in iron armor.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
A plains dungeon would be nice, though I think fuling villages fill the same purpose. Totems, chests with feathers, arrow materials, leather scraps, ore, treasure. They grow flax, barley and dandelions. You can bust down the buildings for deer hides, bone fragments... heck, you can even get tiny amounts of ancient bark and Surtling cores from the bonfires.

I'm going to try and tame a lox this time around and ride it. It's pretty easy to find scads of cloudberries compared to rasp/blue.

Edit: I really like finding villages not too far from a tar pit and luring fulings into killing all the growths so I can nab the tar and whatever is sunk.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Despite owning this game since launch I’m just now getting into the plains for the first time. With tar pits do I actually have to drain is like a real liquid or if I dig a hole will it all magically pile up in there without caring about volume?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

Despite owning this game since launch I’m just now getting into the plains for the first time. With tar pits do I actually have to drain is like a real liquid or if I dig a hole will it all magically pile up in there without caring about volume?

So it's kind of wonky. You mostly just want to make sure that you have a smooth path for the tar to travel that doesn't have any inclines facing away from the tar pit. It doesn't really go anywhere per se but it will get backed up if there's not a certain amount of space.

They can be a real pain in the rear end if they're not at the top of a hill or by the water If they're on a flat featureless plane and there isn't an obvious place to drain it to I generally don't bother.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Those ticks surprised me. Wasn't even aware they were on me until it was Too Late.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Devs need to do another pass on early zones to bring them in line with mistlands (which is cool and good).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i love this game, picked it back up after not really getting passed the 2nd boss, found a dope area for a base:

in a small meadow, has a swamp to the south with 5 dungeons so far, a black forest, plains beyond that and then across the water

pretty good location, just going to build big and wide here and see what happens.

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 26, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a mod that lets you buy iron and stuff from the trader? On my server we have chestloads full of coins, and nothing to spend them on. And we keep having to venture back to previous biomes for metal.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m already annoyed at having to trek back to the now toothless swamp for iron to make/upgrade padded stuff. You gave me black metal and now it’s used in not a whole lot?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

We just got to Mistlands and I like it a lot, but
you can't use the belt and a mistlight at the same time? Why not? Such a strange decision.

And does the mist lessen the deeper into the lands you venture or something? It's a beautiful biome but you can't see poo poo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

you can't use the belt and a mistlight at the same time? Why not? Such a strange decision.

And does the mist lessen the deeper into the lands you venture or something? It's a beautiful biome but you can't see poo poo.

Climb to see poo poo. Most of the stuff in the mist that matters has a light on it so you just want to climb and look for that. Make a beeline for the new cape it makes The Mistlands so much more reasonable.

My advice is to just carry the equipment for a portal. There is only really one thing that you can't portal around, And so if you find a good source for any of the other poo poo you can just build a portal real quick. Specific stuff:

You can build a portal under the rib cage for the big giant skeletons and everything you get from them goes straight through. Soft tissue is very important, It's the major finite resource for the new biome. Even if you don't care about building you want to grab some black marble because the new manufacturing doesn't damage it like it damages other stuff.

What I did was find a dwarf fortress nearby a bunch of sap and evict the residents, That gave me a central portal that I could hop in and grab sap from. As far as I can tell the thing you need to get sap is literally the only new item that doesn't go through portals.

ATT Even if you want to build everything new and upgrade it all you probably only need about 150 eiter and If you're going to be selective you can probably get away with 50 or 60, It's nowhere near as important as iron or even black metal Imo.

The underground dungeons have a safe place to put a portal right by the door. If you carry the materials for a stone bench with you you can set up a portal and bring through literally everything you can get from that dungeon and then tear down the exterior and get a good few hundred black marble.

Since they toned down the spawn rate the mistlands are a lot more reasonable. I used to die a lot in them back when the big floaty boys would spawn right on top of seeker soldiers all the time. Magic also helps a ton.

I will say though it's possible to get really hosed on what actually spawns inside the dungeons. For whatever reason when I was looking for my last five black cores It took me like six dungeons to do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a mod that lets you buy iron and stuff from the trader? On my server we have chestloads full of coins, and nothing to spend them on. And we keep having to venture back to previous biomes for metal.

Yes, you want the OdinPlus version of Better Trader.

It is not entirely balanced but you can indeed exchange gold for materials and other stuff at the trader.

E: wait no apparently someone else has picked it up again, this appears to be the latest version:

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Digitalroot/Better_Trader_Remake/

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 26, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

anatomi posted:

Because making the accessory slot more competitive forces you to make decisions. Is it worth loving visibility on the way back to get More Stuff etc.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Eifert Posting posted:

Climb to see poo poo. Most of the stuff in the mist that matters has a light on it so you just want to climb and look for that. Make a beeline for the new cape it makes The Mistlands so much more reasonable.

My advice is to just carry the equipment for a portal. There is only really one thing that you can't portal around, And so if you find a good source for any of the other poo poo you can just build a portal real quick. Specific stuff:

You can build a portal under the rib cage for the big giant skeletons and everything you get from them goes straight through. Soft tissue is very important, It's the major finite resource for the new biome. Even if you don't care about building you want to grab some black marble because the new manufacturing doesn't damage it like it damages other stuff.

What I did was find a dwarf fortress nearby a bunch of sap and evict the residents, That gave me a central portal that I could hop in and grab sap from. As far as I can tell the thing you need to get sap is literally the only new item that doesn't go through portals.

ATT Even if you want to build everything new and upgrade it all you probably only need about 150 eiter and If you're going to be selective you can probably get away with 50 or 60, It's nowhere near as important as iron or even black metal Imo.

The underground dungeons have a safe place to put a portal right by the door. If you carry the materials for a stone bench with you you can set up a portal and bring through literally everything you can get from that dungeon and then tear down the exterior and get a good few hundred black marble.

Since they toned down the spawn rate the mistlands are a lot more reasonable. I used to die a lot in them back when the big floaty boys would spawn right on top of seeker soldiers all the time. Magic also helps a ton.

I will say though it's possible to get really hosed on what actually spawns inside the dungeons. For whatever reason when I was looking for my last five black cores It took me like six dungeons to do it.

Thanks man! We're gonna do some climbing today.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because making the accessory slot more competitive forces you to make decisions. Is it worth loving visibility on the way back to get More Stuff etc.
Yeah, I can imagine that's what the developers thought but it's pretty stupid. I understand that there are players who absolutely love poo poo that I personally find tedious (like having to make the hardcore "decision" between seeing anything or restricting your already limited carrying capacity in an area shock full of new stuff) — I just wanted to vent.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

anatomi posted:

Thanks man! We're gonna do some climbing today.

Yeah, I can imagine that's what the developers thought but it's pretty stupid. I understand that there are players who absolutely love poo poo that I personally find tedious (like having to make the hardcore "decision" between seeing anything or restricting your already limited carrying capacity in an area shock full of new stuff) — I just wanted to vent.

Do you mostly solo? If so yeah that might be a factor in differences in perspective. But like those kinds of decisions, carrying capacity vs visibility…like that’s literally the game. Same as teleport restrictions on metals making boats a factor. Logistical hurdles and Problems To Solve are a huge part of the game and without that there’s not much meat on that bone.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, you want the OdinPlus version of Better Trader.

It is not entirely balanced but you can indeed exchange gold for materials and other stuff at the trader.

E: wait no apparently someone else has picked it up again, this appears to be the latest version:

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Digitalroot/Better_Trader_Remake/

This didn't work. I installed it, then uploaded it to the Dathost server, but the trader shows an empty buy/sell list now.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Do you mostly solo? If so yeah that might be a factor in differences in perspective. But like those kinds of decisions, carrying capacity vs visibility…like that’s literally the game. Same as teleport restrictions on metals making boats a factor. Logistical hurdles and Problems To Solve are a huge part of the game and without that there’s not much meat on that bone.

I think the issue is that the logistical hurdles are pretty tedious and boring. Take boats for example. Almost nothing interesting happens when you're sailing. 90% of the time you can simply get the wind behind the sails and then alt-tab out of the game and read an article or something. Once in a blue moon you might come across a sea serpent, but the long ship can outrun those easily so they're a non-factor. And there's also zero reason to make pitstops at leviathans once you reach the iron age.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

This didn't work. I installed it, then uploaded it to the Dathost server, but the trader shows an empty buy/sell list now.

The Nexus version was updated recently and should work, no longer requires JVL.

I believe you need to go into the config and set all the trade/sell conditions but theres a few user made presets you can copy/paste from the posts in Nexus on this mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/433

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Nexus version was updated recently and should work, no longer requires JVL.

I believe you need to go into the config and set all the trade/sell conditions but theres a few user made presets you can copy/paste from the posts in Nexus on this mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/433

Yeah I had to do this but I thought the new version had fixed this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think the issue is that the logistical hurdles are pretty tedious and boring. Take boats for example. Almost nothing interesting happens when you're sailing. 90% of the time you can simply get the wind behind the sails and then alt-tab out of the game and read an article or something. Once in a blue moon you might come across a sea serpent, but the long ship can outrun those easily so they're a non-factor. And there's also zero reason to make pitstops at leviathans once you reach the iron age.

Speaking of, did they cut sea serpent spawns way down? I've barely seen any since H&H dropped.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I think they only spawn at night, or if there's a thunderstorm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think they should have currents, they work well in Starsector for its hyperspace navigation.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
They could add stuff like sirens, hafgufas (giant whales in Norse mythology), etc.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

They are fun, but at some point the logistical issues become "solved" and just are time-consuming because you can't solve the sailing speed any more than it is with Moder and your ship of choice, and unlike running around, there isn't anything that happens while sailing unless you hit a serpent spawn (or a leviathan in the bronze age), and those are rare.

I did vaguely like that the blackmetal era encourages you to show up, beach your longship, pile out and murder the seaside village inhabitants, then load all the loot back in the boat and sail home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As soon as I have a bit of iron I immediately sail for the plains and build a fuckoff stone fortress there and then pile up fuling bits and black metal as I do other content.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

They are fun, but at some point the logistical issues become "solved" and just are time-consuming because you can't solve the sailing speed any more than it is with Moder and your ship of choice, and unlike running around, there isn't anything that happens while sailing unless you hit a serpent spawn (or a leviathan in the bronze age), and those are rare.

I did vaguely like that the blackmetal era encourages you to show up, beach your longship, pile out and murder the seaside village inhabitants, then load all the loot back in the boat and sail home.

I mean the solution is actually pretty simple: we should be able to build a higher tier portal that lets you transport metal. It could require 30 blackmetal and 30 crystal or something high in order to keep it balanced (and also gives you a reason to keep harvesting those materials).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Once we reached the silver age and had to start going further afield we collectively decided that portals could now take anything through them and modded accordingly— we all barely have time to play together thanks to conflicting schedules and none of us want to spend most of that sailing when we could be building or harvesting things.

I really love how moddable Valheim is for poo poo like that.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yep exactly just mod it in with v+ once you stop having fun with the risk/reward nature of hauling ore. Same with... basically everything else that gets tedious.

Including the single-accessory limit. I have a wisplight that gives me +eitr and +carry weight, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I get the developer intent with the belt vs wisp light, but I can also see that the limitation is kinda dumb, in-universe.

Reminds me of Doom 3 and the whole flashlight ordeal. Adds to the tension, sure. but that game is set in the future... what the gently caress are you doing NOT having a light source at least taped to your gun?