Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never heard of someone having this much trouble with 1password. Even my senior citizen mom could set it up.

can't fix stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks everyone! I have been using lastpass set up on 4 devices for 4 years now so I'm not new to this, I just can't figure out why my master password just stopped working. I was able to delete my 1password account, which let me start another family free trial and so far it's working basically the same as lastpass was, so it looks like it's a keeper

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

If OP is struggling with 1Password setup this is not a more user friendly option. Maybe try Bitwarden to see if it's more intuitive.

Most KeePass clients have native cloud provider integration so it's pretty much painless. I use KeePassium and it works as good if not better than any other solution i ever tested.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Please and thank you?

Like, this is the person I mentioned's screenshot of them asking. I asked as much four years earlier, and got almost exactly the same response back.

A FAQ entry is *the least* they could do.

I spent about half an hour digging through it and yeah it's just doing update checks. It seems to use the duckduckgo and google checks as a sort of redundancy to check against whether failure to get info from github is a github problem or an internet problem.

Honestly the part that disgusts me the most about what I found out in that bit of reverse engineering is that all the various different potential hooks/injectors are crammed into one module instead of one per API so you've got OpenGL, Vulkan, DX8, DX9, DX10, DX11, and DX12 all in the same gigantic hooking DLL.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Most KeePass clients have native cloud provider integration so it's pretty much painless. I use KeePassium and it works as good if not better than any other solution i ever tested.
KeePass and SyncThing work extremely well together if you have at least one machine you can leave running all the time.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

KeePass and SyncThing work extremely well together if you have at least one machine you can leave running all the time.

I use KeePass with Dropbox, seems to work fine.

Work has 1password, so I get a free personal account there, I should probably switch.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just store the file on OneDrive and it works without third party sync engines.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

I use KeePass with Dropbox, seems to work fine.

SlowBloke posted:

I just store the file on OneDrive and it works without third party sync engines.
Keepass doesn't have a flared base, so I can't put it in the butt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

If OP is struggling with 1Password setup this is not a more user friendly option. Maybe try Bitwarden to see if it's more intuitive.

Bitwarden and Keepass have about the same level of technical understanding to setup.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dylan16807 posted:

If the problem is with making an account then KeePassXC could actually be an easier option if they already have dropbox or google drive or similar installed. Just put the file there, and I think auto save and auto reload are on by default.

It's true that original KeePass has that ridiculous trigger system to set up.

Original KeePass has a half dozen addons to automate cloud storage. You can also install addons to allow browser autofill like the other services.

But it is definitely an advanced tool and not easily zero-maintenance.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks everyone for the more updated info on Keepass' ease of use. Also let's not call OP "stupid", etc. Different people have different skills, and it is a Good Thing when someone asks for help rather than doing poo poo like rolling their own password manager using mypasswords.txt.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hey, i encrypted it with this enigma machine i found

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Hey, i encrypted it with this enigma machine i found

Oh poo poo Turing is gonna crack your password.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I think I'm just going to roll my own encryption password manager

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Thanks everyone! I have been using lastpass set up on 4 devices for 4 years now so I'm not new to this, I just can't figure out why my master password just stopped working. I was able to delete my 1password account, which let me start another family free trial and so far it's working basically the same as lastpass was, so it looks like it's a keeper

Your 1password master password didn't suddenly change or stop working, you screwed something up. Glad you were able to start again though.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your 1password master password didn't suddenly change or stop working, you screwed something up. Glad you were able to start again though.

Yeah, you're probably right, I just can't think of what I possibly could have done there (and I probably never will know), but I was admittedly incredibly frustrated after spending 2 hours setting everything up on two phones and PCs and resetting every password I have before losing it all so I'm sure I wasn't thinking completely logically then. At the very least, though, I'm not permanently locked out of anything, I just need to redo the work, and even if I don't have them right now, all my passwords were at least changed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

At the very least, your passwords are all rotated and safe now!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kazinsal posted:

Honestly the part that disgusts me the most about what I found out in that bit of reverse engineering is that all the various different potential hooks/injectors are crammed into one module instead of one per API so you've got OpenGL, Vulkan, DX8, DX9, DX10, DX11, and DX12 all in the same gigantic hooking DLL.
Yak.

Does it at least load the relevant DLLs on demand only?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
All this vault chat has finally got me to start looking into one for myself. Giving Bitwarden a spin and so far it seems fine. Apps and plugins for all of my devices and I can always log in to their web vault if I'm somewhere I can't install them. I figure as long as I don't put all my email accounts in there I can recover everything else if things go bad. If I'm just looking for basic password management is there any reason to keep shopping around? Do paid apps like KeyPass/1Password just offer more bells like file transfer and TOTP?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Takes No Damage posted:

All this vault chat has finally got me to start looking into one for myself. Giving Bitwarden a spin and so far it seems fine. Apps and plugins for all of my devices and I can always log in to their web vault if I'm somewhere I can't install them. I figure as long as I don't put all my email accounts in there I can recover everything else if things go bad. If I'm just looking for basic password management is there any reason to keep shopping around? Do paid apps like KeyPass/1Password just offer more bells like file transfer and TOTP?

KeePass supports TOTP with plugins on the stock binaries or via special apps like XC/keepassium. File transfer is usually up to the user but keepassium is slowly adding direct cloud file access.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

One major selling point to me for bitwarden is ansible integration, if that matters to you.

My playbooks pull down passwords from my vault so I don't need to mess with any other crap. It's pretty nice

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I've only skimmed the last couple of pages, but seems like the goonsensus is to move away from LastPass?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've been mentioning that a few times in this thread since 2015

..note that this thread started in 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, goon consensus has been abandon LastPass for years at this point.

And somehow every time there is a hack someone asks if its recommended

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, I'm way out of the loop on this. Better make the jump.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Finally made the jump yesterday. Now to reset all my passwords.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I abused my power and updated the thread title.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

So many IT and infosec «professionals» on Twitter just now discovering what we’ve known for years I smh and wonder about switching carreers

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

InfoSec is this the new nursing for "hot careers". I see literal billboards advertising Cyber security degrees.

We're about to have a whole ton of people jump into the field straight out of crappy for profit colleges.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

InfoSec is this the new nursing for "hot careers". I see literal billboards advertising Cyber security degrees.

We're about to have a whole ton of people jump into the field straight out of crappy for profit colleges.

What do you mean about to? We have had plenty of people comeout of the military with a sec+ and a info related mos who cant do anything besides look at STIGs and nod sagely as if they understand anything.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Kragger99 posted:

I've only skimmed the last couple of pages, but seems like the goonsensus is to move away from LastPass?

https://infosec.exchange/@epixoip/109585049354200263

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
also time to get a yubikey if you ain't got one already imo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is good, what's the issue later in his post about Bitwarden being written in a GC language as a negative? I understand that a GC cycle needs to happen on secrets hanging out in memory unless you're playing games with overwriting values. Is there something else I'm missing?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

also time to get a yubikey if you ain't got one already imo

they seem permanently out of stock, at least in Canada :smith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hed posted:

This is good, what's the issue later in his post about Bitwarden being written in a GC language as a negative? I understand that a GC cycle needs to happen on secrets hanging out in memory unless you're playing games with overwriting values. Is there something else I'm missing?

I had the same reaction. Hope someone else knows better. Maybe it leads to sloppy GC? Still seems like it would be better than not having automated GC at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The thing about it being a GC’d language is nonsense. Eager freeing doesn’t clear secrets either, and you can overwrite the contents in GC or manual-memory-management languages equally well.

This person knows a lot about password management, it seems, but not as much about programming languages and runtimes. IMO ignore that side comment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Second-to-last pass

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

The thing about it being a GC’d language is nonsense. Eager freeing doesn’t clear secrets either, and you can overwrite the contents in GC or manual-memory-management languages equally well.

This person knows a lot about password management, it seems, but not as much about programming languages and runtimes. IMO ignore that side comment.
ya its ignorance over how much control you have on releasing memory content vs memory unsafe vulns and the relative dangers of each

i'd take one over the other anyday, but i wouldn't hold it against a researcher not knowing the particulars beyond x is bad being taught to them

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

CLAM DOWN posted:

At the very least, your passwords are all rotated and safe now!

Someone at work keeps posting that stupid infographic stating it will take years before they guess our passwords so they won't rotate anything. Then they had me a report for a scan with a vuln as high as 5 and to go fix it ASAP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I keep racking my brain to try to figure out what the author meant. I know in Java 8, for example, the string pool had different GC behavior than objects marked for collection. Bitwarden’s server is written in C# and I know the CLR has the string intern pool but idk what the memory semantics are. Clients are TypeScript so maybe there are similar considerations?