Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ya don't give a toy without batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Kahn is also a redneck, this has been established.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Ya don't give a toy without batteries

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021
Everyone after this post is a dang old Porky’s Butthole

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yeahibeen*SIGH*caaalinn yal better part of a year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
King of the hill hold up even better than classic Simpsons now that I am an adult man

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The jokes fall really flat for me and I have no connection to suburban American Life in Texas.

This is why they ring perfectly true for me. Being from nowhereville non commuter to a big town suburbs puts you in the target for all of the humor of the show.

If you did t have a narcissistic mother who meant well, peggys character will probably fall flat.

If you didnt have smart and dutiful father who was shackled by lack of opportunities for uneducated men in a deindustrializing country, same thing

Its the only show in the canon of good shows that has multiple characters i can really feel, maybe other than the Sopranos

Edit oops i quoted a post from 19 years ago. Thought i was on the last page

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol at every bit of that my goon

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you can only understand the finer points of the humor if you're fluent in laotian. and god help you if you watch the american re-edit of the show that makes the hillbilly neighbors the main characters..

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
What happened, why is tortoof the wonder dog posting

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You guys know the comedy professor is the estranged son of one of the rodeo clowns from the episode where Bobby rescues Joseph from being gored, right?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

or are they one in the same man

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

there's a neighborhood teen with a band that hank yells at in season 2 and then 10 seasons later he's headlining a show at the arlen fun center

Activia
Apr 13, 2022

Goal: some kind of neat moth
Funcenterfuncenterfuncenterfuncenter fun-center!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I get jokes, I laugh at tony Danza

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another Bill posted:

You guys know the comedy professor is the estranged son of one of the rodeo clowns from the episode where Bobby rescues Joseph from being gored, right?

Paul F Tompkins has said that his appearance as the clown professor was a last minute change as it was supposed to be a celebrity guest but they pulled out. Unfortunately he doesn't know who it was originally going to be.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
An All-Texas superbowl... His will be done.

naem
May 29, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is why they ring perfectly true for me. Being from nowhereville non commuter to a big town suburbs puts you in the target for all of the humor of the show.

If you did t have a narcissistic mother who meant well, peggys character will probably fall flat.

If you didnt have smart and dutiful father who was shackled by lack of opportunities for uneducated men in a deindustrializing country, same thing

Its the only show in the canon of good shows that has multiple characters i can really feel, maybe other than the Sopranos

Edit oops i quoted a post from 19 years ago. Thought i was on the last page

the sopranos comparison is somehow a very good one

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Fishstick posted:

I laugh at tony Danza I laugh at tony Danza I laugh at tony Danza I laugh at tony Danza

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I love how absolutely brutal the show can be, like in Husky Bobby where after listening to a heartfelt and emotional plea from his son, Hank remains unswayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfV8QCQV3AY&t=30s

It's such an extremely dry and grounded show, to the point where it kind of reminds of a British TV show.

It's really quite a miracle that it managed to find an audience and airtime on FOX at all, never mind a primetime slot.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 27, 2022

naem
May 29, 2011

Tumble posted:

I love how absolutely brutal the show can be, like in Husky Bobby where after listening to a heartfelt and emotional plea from his son, Hank remains unswayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfV8QCQV3AY&t=30s

It's such an extremely dry and grounded show, to the point where it kind of reminds of a British TV show.

It's really quite a miracle that it managed to find an audience and airtime on FOX at all, never mind a primetime slot.

since the grounded writing, realism, and occasional sneaky progressive viewpoints are couched in Texas good-ol-boy culture it was easier for Fox to let it slide

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bobby would've been mercilessly teased by bullies when those photos got around, so Hank was just protecting his boy from bullies like Hank.

https://y.yarn.co/e78549e3-90bd-4428-b333-7ffe80c95ac1.mp4

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Testikles posted:

An All-Texas superbowl... His will be done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

teenagers, husky boys, and donuts....

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Cocaine is Abel posted:

Peggy ruining a profitable bbq restaurant in like a week is one of the most realistic episodes of the show

speaking of BBQ, where exactly does Hank's passion for propane and his love for all things Texas leave his ability to enjoy BBQ? Is the rivalry only for things that have a somewhat even split between propane, like grills and heat/cooking energy sources for houses?

How would Hank feel about a propane smoker? Would he be upset at the idea of messing with the tradition of Texan BBQ or would he like the marriage of propane and a classic Texas food?

naem posted:

since the grounded writing, realism, and occasional sneaky progressive viewpoints are couched in Texas good-ol-boy culture it was easier for Fox to let it slide

really the show's messages are frequently progressive, in that the characters usually have positive outcomes when they are accepting and understanding of others. They do kinda conceal some of the progressiveness by presenting fanatic, stubborn liberalism as equally dumb in it's own way, but the show is typically pro-gay, pro-feminist, pro-mental health treatment and overall quite progressive.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 27, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

naem posted:

the sopranos comparison is somehow a very good one

https://youtu.be/SUhZKz8LUyw

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Tumble posted:

speaking of BBQ, where exactly does Hank's passion for propane and his love for all things Texas leave his ability to enjoy BBQ?

he tries to enter a bbq contest and they wont let him in because he wants to use propane. based on his somewhat out of character but extremely passionate love of the propane powered dragon at the renfaire, i think he would like all the crazy rigs and poo poo that fad bbq have produced. wait. gently caress. as i type this isnt them building a gimmick rig the "last" episode?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think hank has kinda got some cognitive disonance when it comes to others barbeque, if he eats some charcoal grilled meats he will say "this is good but it would be better if grilled with propane"

He has basically taught himself to prefer the taste of propane food. But being a good texan hell never look down or refuse to eat a charcoal meat.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Tumble posted:

How would Hank feel about a propane smoker? Would he be upset at the idea of messing with the tradition of Texan BBQ or would he like the marriage of propane and a classic Texas food?

Propane smokers exist (source: I have one). The food comes out exactly the same as from a wood-burning one. Easier to hold a steady temperature, too.

God bless cheap, clean-burning propane.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kalli posted:

Bobby would've been mercilessly teased by bullies when those photos got around, so Hank was just protecting his boy from bullies like Hank.

https://y.yarn.co/e78549e3-90bd-4428-b333-7ffe80c95ac1.mp4

I think they were both right. Bobby really was going to just be dunked on for the rest of middle school if not his entire life in Arlen for that photoshoot and Hank was saving him from that embarrassment. But Hank also does force his interests and dreams on Bobby.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tumble posted:

really the show's messages are frequently progressive, in that the characters usually have positive outcomes when they are accepting and understanding of others. They do kinda conceal some of the progressiveness by presenting fanatic, stubborn liberalism as equally dumb in it's own way, but the show is typically pro-gay, pro-feminist, pro-mental health treatment and overall quite progressive.

Tw: politics in the King of the Hill thread

I think that's what has happened is that a lot of what is considered "progressive" in 2022 are actually issues about which there is a broad consensus among 60-70% of people. I think of that consensus as basically "other people can do whatever they want as long as it doesnt directly impact me." What has changed in the last 20 (30 really if we count Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich as the ideological starting point ) years is a fringe, far right minority has largely succeeded in eroding that consensus.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 28, 2022

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Hihohe posted:

He has basically taught himself to prefer the taste of propane food. But being a good texan hell never look down or refuse to eat a charcoal meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzncxYqOaQ

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In S3E19 "Hank's Cowboy Movie" Hank is seen grilling in what is definitely some kind of charcoal grill.

Boy I hope somebody got fired for that blunder...

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How many cows do you people eat??

Hold on we figured this out once.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lol hank is soooo pissed in this

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

In S3E19 "Hank's Cowboy Movie" Hank is seen grilling in what is definitely some kind of charcoal grill.

once in a lifetime charcoal thrills
made a big grill from two smaller gills

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

PinheadSlim posted:

OBvioulsy he built it when he was still working at Jeans West

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

".. and before everything went horribly wrong..."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I probably couldn't tell you the difference between meat cooked with charcoal and meat cooked with propane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mirage posted:

Propane smokers exist (source: I have one). The food comes out exactly the same as from a wood-burning one

I mean this is pretty obviously not true.

You might like them the same, but that's different.