Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

my brain werner herzogishly "let me eat the baby"

Grognan has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Dec 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

LifeSunDeath posted:

pizza, fries, jackfruit

I was scrolling down and pleasantly surprised to discover this wasn't soaking in a giant Bloody Mary.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

away in a mangier

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Oh, traditional atheist christmas food. It's been ages since I had these!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hate getting a stuck nut

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

https://twitter.com/SarahSpain/status/1606815820235120645?s=20&t=LauE5MEmRthhOjNE_c1mLw

All the meat is cooked in that… right? RIGHT?

Has anyone heard of this before?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when it was called steak tartare or filet Americain

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every year the cdc has a lil dealio saying dont do cannibal sandwiches and every year wisconsinites ignore those fuckers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I always want to flip the table when I see that stuff. Like yeah, tartare's a thing, but it's not the Walmart ground beef and Wonder Bread special.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah theyre just german mettbrotchen but w/ an english name

only the problem is american food system is shittier

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

There is a picture of a breakfast cannibal sandwich partially eaten where it looked cooked a bit. The part of bread is played by poptarts

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's one of those things where both there's a lower percentage of contaminated meat than you'd think, and also sometimes minor food poisoning isn't that bad. The FDA or USDA put a decent amount of work into keeping low margins of the worst diseases.

Much like how so many people eat uncooked egg and are fine despite the government's recommendations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always want to flip the table when I see that stuff. Like yeah, tartare's a thing, but it's not the Walmart ground beef and Wonder Bread special.

This. Good tartare should be hand cut shortly before ordering - it reduces the risk of food borne illness significantly by doing it that way.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's one of those things where both there's a lower percentage of contaminated meat than you'd think, and also sometimes minor food poisoning isn't that bad. The FDA or USDA put a decent amount of work into keeping low margins of the worst diseases.

Much like how so many people eat uncooked egg and are fine despite the government's recommendations.

I'd be hesitant to say that minor food poisoning isn't that bad, and also the risk of contaminated meat heavily depends on the type of meat. As an example, trichinosis is incredibly rare, and generally comes from bears today rather than pork. Rates of trichinosis in the United States have decreased from about 400 cases per year in the 1940s to 20 or fewer per year in the 2000s.

Salmonella, however, [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonella#Global_monitoring]is quite common - In the United States, about 1,200,000 cases of Salmonella infection are estimated to occur each year.[/url] I don't screw around with undercooked chicken as a result. There's more to it (turkey is apparently much safer than chicken due to policy and monitoring improvement throughout the supply chain) - but it's still not something you want to experience.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always find it a bit weird that americans can't eat raw eggs while in Norway we a have dessert based on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogel_mogel

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd be hesitant to say that minor food poisoning isn't that bad, and also the risk of contaminated meat heavily depends on the type of meat. As an example, trichinosis is incredibly rare, and generally comes from bears today rather than pork. Rates of trichinosis in the United States have decreased from about 400 cases per year in the 1940s to 20 or fewer per year in the 2000s.

I feel like anyone who says things like "food poisoning (of any degree) isn't that bad" has never experienced actual food poisoning and assume it's just like having a bit of diarrhea.

Lemme tell you, if you have actual food poisoning, you are in no loving doubt about it. I still have quite clear memories of getting food poisoning from an unknown source once as a kid and spending almost an entire week in one of two states, either curled up on a heated bathroom floor, in misery and shivering, or wrapped up like a burrito in as many blankets as possible, in misery and shivering, while at the same time my digestive system was not dissimilar from a tube of toothpaste cut open at both ends and then stomped on.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I always find it a bit weird that americans can't eat raw eggs while in Norway we a have dessert based on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogel_mogel

My (Swedish) uncle was a big fan of this when he was a kid. He preferred it warm though, so if he saw that one of their chickens was laying on an egg, he'd immediately snatch it and hurry inside to quickly stir it up with some sugar while the egg was still warm from chicken-body heat. No need to bother one of the adults to warm an egg when chickens produce body heat after all.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PurpleXVI posted:

Lemme tell you, if you have actual food poisoning, you are in no loving doubt about it.

Unless it's something that is actually worse than food poisoning that just feels like food poisoning instead because once you hit the frowny faces on the hospital pain scale it becomes hard to differentiate "I am going to die in seven days" from "I am going to die right loving now". Having a gall stone blockage felt a LOT like food poisoning, except I could never actually get anything out of my system so it was just the constant cramping and overwhelming nausea getting worse and worse ad infinitum.

Anyway the point still stands that even "mild food poisoning" is something akin to having all of your organs ejected from your body at high velocity with hellfire while every muscle in your body screams in agony.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

These are on sale at Hy-Vee, if I can get them added to my order this morning there will be a trip report incoming. They're not actually much more substantial, calorie-wise, than the cheese sauce I already use for my breakfast, and at this point any flavor variation is welcome, you can only go so far with a variety of spices and hot sauces and after a year and a half of my primary diet being eggs and hash browns in the morning... I'm not tired of it, but also a little more variety would be nice.

edit: It's been added to my order, trip report will probably be tomorrow morning after breakfast.

NinjaDebugger has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Dec 26, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

hardcore, also can't tell if it's AI or not.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Pink slime sammiches for the Midwest ghouls lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: raw eggs, they have such a great application in cocktails. Whether just whites, just yolks, or both.

A negroni flip is a treasure: it's just a negroni built in a shaker and shaken like hell with ice and a whole egg cracked into it. Strain it into a nice glass and grate a bit of nutmeg on top and you've got a top-tier winter drink in front of you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Alhazred posted:

We have raw-egg dishes and drinks, too, but the average supermarket egg here comes out of a filthy chicken prison, so it’s easier for the US government to say “nobody eat the raw eggs” than to regulate the poultry industry. :capitalism: gone wild.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know this is supposed to make me question the concept of doritos ranch dip, but all I can think about is how mad I'd be if I went to the effort of setting up plates of finger foods for multiple people, then some goober just goes straight in and dunks their big greasy pizza slice right into the dip container itself :argh:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Last time I dug through the statistics, I got the impression that eggs have a similar rate of salmonella between Europe and America, just the American government cares more about trying to get people to cook eggs. Much like how the US tries to be tougher on pasteurization and also used food safety laws to de facto ban horsemeat.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Salmonella, however, is quite common - In the United States, about 1,200,000 cases of Salmonella infection are estimated to occur each year. I don't screw around with undercooked chicken as a result. There's more to it (turkey is apparently much safer than chicken due to policy and monitoring improvement throughout the supply chain) - but it's still not something you want to experience.

Well yeah, only the truly demented mess around with raw chicken, which has much higher rate of being infected with salmonella compared to the food-borne illnesses found on beef (at least with the US's management of our food safety). It's much more doable to eat a lot of raw beef than other meats, but there's still plenty of risk, especially if the meat isn't fresh, which is why the CDC tries to stop people or at least make them wary.

Eating lots of raw meat also seems to correlate with horrible, horrible internet opinions, so I dunno if there's a cause/effect relationship there, but I don't think people should risk it for the sake of that either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alhazred posted:

You can eat raw eggs in the US. The government recommends you don't eat anything raw because it increases the risk of food poisoning which, no poo poo, of course it does. Doesn't mean it's likely. I have a carton of eggs in the fridge at all times just for use in cocktails.

I do like when countries convince themselves they're special though. Chicken sashimi is popular in Japan, Japanese people believe there's something special about chickens in Japan so they're safe to eat raw. You'll never guess what the second most common cause of food poisoning in Japan is! It's raw chicken.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

actual food poisoning
There are a shitton of different pathogens or toxins that can cause 'food poisoning' and they can all have different characteristics.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

You can eat raw eggs in the US. The government recommends you don't eat anything raw because it increases the risk of food poisoning which, no poo poo, of course it does. Doesn't mean it's likely. I have a carton of eggs in the fridge at all times just for use in cocktails.

I do like when countries convince themselves they're special though. Chicken sashimi is popular in Japan, Japanese people believe there's something special about chickens in Japan so they're safe to eat raw. You'll never guess what the second most common cause of food poisoning in Japan is! It's raw chicken.

Japan is like this about a lot of things though. One time a girl I was talking to told me that no poo poo, Japan is unique and special amongst countries because it has FOUR DISTINCT SEASONS over the course of the year.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what they actually mean is that they're way to the lower right of this

https://xkcd.com/1916/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hallo spacedog posted:

Japan is like this about a lot of things though. One time a girl I was talking to told me that no poo poo, Japan is unique and special amongst countries because it has FOUR DISTINCT SEASONS over the course of the year.

Only one time?

Also everyone knows Korea is the only place with four distinct seasons. :rolleyes:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm terrible at making burgers, it's nice to know it's not a fluke that I haven't made myself sick with them yet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan is king of convincing itself it's special. (New Zealand is next in the line of succession.)

I bought a piece of yuzu kosho fried boneless chicken from a big-city convenience store well regarded for their fried boneless chicken and discovered it was absolutely still slightly raw in parts. I was surprised because Japanese food outlets are usually pretty good about fully cooking their chicken if it's meant to be cooked. And I (closed my eyes and) ate it anyway because YOLO.

My nephew, who's in his second year of culinary school in Osaka, said chicken sashimi is especially popular in one part of the country where the locals can stomach it a lot better than people from out of town--like his classmate who got violently, violently ill from a piece of chicken sashimi while all the locals had no problem with it whatsoever. I wonder if it's the kind of thing you can build a tolerance to. (I'm not about to find out.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grand Fromage posted:

Only one time?

Also everyone knows Korea is the only place with four distinct seasons. :rolleyes:

Humans can't survive without eating kimchi every day. It's science

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hey everyone, wishing you all a safe and happy-*squints and looks more closely at calendar* ...uh...

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1607471908039131147

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Only one time?

Yeah, probably more than just once.

Another thing Japan loves - long form propaganda commercials espousing some weird food beliefs.

Eg- eating sour Japanese pickled plums keeps you from getting a cold because mysterious reasons

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Utterly baffling how with all of the possible ways to eat leftover food "put it in a jelly" was apparently a thing that some people thought was the best idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah, probably more than just once.

Another thing Japan loves - long form propaganda commercials espousing some weird food beliefs.

Eg- eating sour Japanese pickled plums keeps you from getting a cold because mysterious reasons

I love watching NHK World shows and waiting for the wild bullshit claims. The food ones always have a bunch but most of the shows will throw in something just nuts.

Also the specific claims that are not specific at all, like nearly every food show at some point someone will explain that the food here in Nowhere Village is unique because "we have both the mountains and the sea", an environment unknown anywhere else in Japan.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OwlFancier posted:

Utterly baffling how with all of the possible ways to eat leftover food "put it in a jelly" was apparently a thing that some people thought was the best idea.

Its so bizarre. In my family, like most families, the main pleasure of Christmas Dinner is not the meal itself, but the great sandwiches you get to make with leftovers for the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe decades from now, people will look at my "try putting them on pizza" leftovers suggestions with equal disdain