Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You can still buy Nintendo-brand playing cards, too, and not only those that are also Nintendo-branded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Imperador do Brasil posted:

One of my favorite songs of all time.

I can’t believe people use that song as a feel-good Christmas song lol

Same, but Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". It kept coming up on the Pandora holiday mix at work. Thought maybe it was a fluke of the algorithm, but nope, it's been covered by various artists and slapped on holiday albums. Wtf?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I once heard a children's choir sing I Believe in Father Christmas, a song that fully two thirds of is about how nostalgia is a lie and so is christmas, this is a capitalist hell and santa is the devil

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Koi-Koi is super fun btw.

I learned how to play Koi Koi through the Yakuza games and now I own several Hanafuda decks. God dangit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This blew my mind when I learned about it, I'm still tickled every time I see an old building with Nintendo on it just because the name is so completely ingrained as the vidyagame company in my mind.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It is perfectly reasonable to write a story in which a wandering samurai and a gunslinger take a road trip across the wild west to kill Dracula and have the samurai suggest they play a Nintendo game to pass the time

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

flavor.flv posted:

It is perfectly reasonable to write a story in which a wandering samurai and a gunslinger take a road trip across the wild west to kill Dracula and have the samurai suggest they play a Nintendo game to pass the time

Don't forget to add in they send a fax to Abe Lincoln

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The original Dracula novel ends with him getting stabbed in the heart with a bowie knife by a cowboy.

Now if Stoker had only had the foresight to have a samurai character decapitate Dracula with a Katana at the same time it would've made the book a true classic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hirayuki posted:

You can still buy Nintendo-brand playing cards, too, and not only those that are also Nintendo-branded.

Oh god I just realized how much money they could make doing a TCG

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh god I just realized how much money they could make doing a TCG

I'm not going to say anything, I'm just going to give you time to think about this post

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The original Dracula novel ends with him getting stabbed in the heart with a bowie knife by a cowboy.

Now if Stoker had only had the foresight to have a samurai character decapitate Dracula with a Katana at the same time it would've made the book a true classic.

Allegedly, the original count Dracula owned a fancy gold plated katana.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

flavor.flv posted:

I'm not going to say anything, I'm just going to give you time to think about this post

Why do they have one? I mean a real TCG, not playing cards

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why do they have one? I mean a real TCG, not playing cards
:psyduck:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

That's the most appropriate Psyduck reaction I've seen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Pokemon Company =/= Nintendo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I meant nintendo not pokemon

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

:perfect:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Thing I just figured out, that is a beak on that figure and not a lighter colored mouth and belly, ala the Care Bears.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Joburg posted:

Thing I just figured out, that is a beak on that figure and not a lighter colored mouth and belly, ala the Care Bears.

:psypop:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joburg posted:

This is like how I thought the nose on the Descendents logo was a mouth and the mouth was a neck.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I remember reading a post about the exact same :psyduck: confusion years and years ago. So, at least you're not the only one, Joburg.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Joburg posted:

But you were right the first time. It’s a belly and a weird little smile 🙂

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Len posted:

The Pokemon Company =/= Nintendo

Nintendo = a substantial amount of Pokémon ownership

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

freeedr posted:

But you were right the first time. It’s a belly and a weird little smile 🙂

I think I like it that way better anyway :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nintendo = a substantial amount of Pokémon ownership
From my understanding TPC is made up of Nintendo, Gamefreak, and a third company Creatures. According to this Creatures is who handles the card game. So yes Nintendo is part of TPC but they don't apparently have anything to do with that part of it.

https://zenmarket.jp/en/blog/post/10040/does-nintendo-own-pokemon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's an owl

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Len posted:

From my understanding TPC is made up of Nintendo, Gamefreak, and a third company Creatures. According to this Creatures is who handles the card game. So yes Nintendo is part of TPC but they don't apparently have anything to do with that part of it.

https://zenmarket.jp/en/blog/post/10040/does-nintendo-own-pokemon

Does that mean Nintendo doesn't see any of that money?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

That's the most appropriate Psyduck reaction I've seen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Does that mean Nintendo doesn't see any of that money?

Okay and? Making money off the thing =/= making the thing

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I meant nintendo not pokemon

I assume from this context that OP was thinking something like Super Smash Bros the TCG. But sure Nintendo makes Pokemon and runs all of it

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Perhaps they make exponentially more money off of some sort of virtual trading card game, that is only playable on a proprietary system?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Or perhaps nothing will be as funny as if the OP actually had straight-up forgotten that Pokémon existed, and no possible end to this derail will give us that satisfaction

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
More of a "today I learned" than figured out, but there are still 18 countries in the world who use quarter dollars.

I'd thought it was one of those weird holdovers unique to the US (and maybe Canada) despite the 20¢ being the better option.

To avoid confusion - when I say "better" I solely mean that it takes fewer coins on average to make any specific amount of change using a 20¢ piece than a 25¢ one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

how do u make 25 cents change using 20-cent pieces????

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

Simple enough, just whip out your pocketknife and carve a quarter out of another one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just give a hundredth of a 25 dollar bill.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Carthag Tuek posted:

20c+5c=25c, which is 1 coin more.

But I thinl the point is *other* combinations are going to need less coins with 20c as opposed to 25c

20c+20c=40c, but 25c+5c+10c=40, for example.

We don't have a 25p here, so the 20 makes more sense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Really what we should do is just ditch pennies, and round all amounts to the closest nickel. That'd make a bigger impact than replacing quarters with quinters.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Canada already got rid of the penny and I was just reading that the nickel is probably on the way out too. I don't know anyone who still uses cash/change at all anymore though, aside from like keeping a loonie on you for a shopping cart deposit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they would have to make the coins smaller or people would get mad that a coin the same size is now worth less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It probably makes the most sense to just have 10/20/50/100 coins