Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

:shepface:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Here's the alarming thing: look at those averages, then look at scores like yours and mine, then look at those averages again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I feel like the vast majority of steam accounts are dead and it's probably counting those?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The comparison to global averages is 🥲

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:thunk:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I feel like the vast majority of steam accounts are dead and it's probably counting those?

no i think it's that normies just don't play as many videogames as the kind of people who are posting on a 20 year old internet forum for videogames

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

thank you, cruelty squad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

thank you, cruelty squad

When you think about it, all of us have most playtime in Capitalism.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

waiting for the recap that's just all hentai games

i know you're out there, post it coward

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My secret shame is that I really like playing those Hidden Object Games from Artifex Mundi and clicker games while listening to longform podcasts like It Could Happen Here. :negative:

My top games this year were Vampire Survivors and Cell to Singularity

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m waiting for the recap of all these recaps.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Vampire was a big topic for me I guess because I played Vampire Survivors and Vampyr, both which require quite a lot of your time.

I just beat SOMA. I've had it forever and couldn't get very far because it was too spooky, but a friend and I played through Amnesia, which was great, and so I gave SOMA another shot and holy smokes what a great ride.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jack Trades posted:

When you think about it, all of us have most playtime in Capitalism.

I spent more time with the sequel (here's to you, 2000s Comp-USA bargain rack).

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oxxidation posted:

it's real and it's genuinely cathartic. reedus spends most of the game with all the emotional affect of a corpse as he traipses all across the country, so he spends the final phase of that boss fight venting all his frustration at once while beating the guy to a pulp with his bare hands

"My loving hands, my feet... Deliver this! Carry that! Watch him to go hell and back! gently caress you. gently caress you! Beg! SCREAM!"

Is this some DC exclusive poo poo or something? I finished the game and STILL can't tell if I'm being japed here.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Welp, I'm wasting my life.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I felt really bad about my scores until I came to this thread

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
But I mean, gently caress it, I'm just gonna keep buying more.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

credburn posted:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

What is the big selling point/gameplay loop for Cruelty Squad, ie what pulls you to keep playing it? I watched Jeff Gerstmann play it a little bit and it was interesting to see but I couldn't tell if it had legs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

figure out how to click on man head make him go boom

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SOMA is epic

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

What is the big selling point/gameplay loop for Cruelty Squad, ie what pulls you to keep playing it? I watched Jeff Gerstmann play it a little bit and it was interesting to see but I couldn't tell if it had legs.

It's basically Hitman mixed with like, original Rainbow Six and full of wacky secrets.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

big cummers ONLY posted:

its the only sequel to deus ex

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

It's basically Hitman mixed with like, original Rainbow Six and full of wacky secrets.

People said that about Untitled Goose Game which disappointed me endlessly by actually being an adventure game. The difference to me is that Hitman is all about here are some tools and systems and a goal go do your thing, whereas Goose Game was more about figure out the specifically-designed way to trigger this outcome.

Is Cruelty Squad like Hitman the way I want it to be like Hitman?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gyoru posted:

waiting for the recap that's just all hentai games

i know you're out there, post it coward

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Fuligin posted:

its the only sequel to deus ex

Not anymore!

Phigs posted:

People said that about Untitled Goose Game which disappointed me endlessly by actually being an adventure game. The difference to me is that Hitman is all about here are some tools and systems and a goal go do your thing, whereas Goose Game was more about figure out the specifically-designed way to trigger this outcome.

Absolutely not.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Takes No Damage posted:

Any good? the animal characters are reminding me of the Xcom knockoff Mutant Year Zero and I actually had a pretty good time with that one.

F.I.S.T. is good - it reminds me of Shadow complex but with melee instead of guns. Also got a pretty intricate combo system if you want to go beyond button mashing.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
SOMA is amazing. Really depressing, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

credburn posted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Is this some DC exclusive poo poo or something? I finished the game and STILL can't tell if I'm being japed here.

apparently there's way more of it than i thought. spoiling for new players:

link here, death stranding big boss spoilers

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 26, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

SOMA is amazing. Really depressing, though.

Yeah, SOMA is great. Solid sci-fi idea/premise with a really good execution. I guess my one complaint is that the main character is a bit dim, but it's not like he supposed to be someone extremely smart and he doesn't exactly have time to think things through over the course of the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
One thing I hated about Amnesia is that so much of the story is told through diary entries that you just find lying around. Which is a game mechanic we've all kind of just sort of accepted, but every time I come across this, I have to try so hard to suppress this, to be like, okay sure in this game world this character tore out these three pages that he happened to write in a diary entry as an exposition dump to an audience of one, himself, for later, or perhaps another character if they happen to come across it. It's in so many games argh

That being said, the same mechanic exists in SOMA but it's handled in a way that doesn't break the immersion of the game. I get that SOMA's mechanic specifically couldn't apply to all other games that need to tell backstory through audio logs or diary entries or whatever, but I wish they'd at least try to contextualize it in a way that isn't video gamey as gently caress.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So if one of my fondest console memories was swinging around New York in that great Spider-Man game for PS2 are the new ones worth it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
soma's solution was to make the player character an endlessly babbling nitwit. i preferred the diaries

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

bawk posted:

My secret shame is that I really like playing those Hidden Object Games from Artifex Mundi and clicker games while listening to longform podcasts like It Could Happen Here. :negative:

My top games this year were Vampire Survivors and Cell to Singularity

Hidden object? Like, find the right pixel?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

busalover posted:

Hidden object? Like, find the right pixel?

It's a low-rent puzzle game style where you're presented with a picture full of cluttered poo poo and a list of items and you've got to find and click on the stocking and the three keys and the baseball and stuff like that. They're a staple of the cheap game bundles you find online.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

kazmeyer posted:

So if one of my fondest console memories was swinging around New York in that great Spider-Man game for PS2 are the new ones worth it?

100% yes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hidden Object Games own because you can get a ton of them for cheap and it's a chill couple of hours of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Phigs posted:

i’ll dig up my old post about why i liked it 1 sec