Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elviscat posted:

As long as you're a Mass resident it shouldn't be a problem, make sure the dealership you buy from sends all the registration paperwork to the right state. Dealers will sometimes do inter-dealership transfers to get you the trim you want too.

I am not a Mass resident, hence the question. No one in my state is willing to do dealer swaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Mostly I'm interested in picking up a EV in Mass, my state has 7 (4 really) Bolts available but I really want that heated steering wheel & adaptive cruise control trim level, which aren't available in the state.

Can you retrofit the missing items on the trim level available in your state? If it's stuff like heated steering it shouldn't be much effort to replace the wheel, add a button and recode the management units.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Can you retrofit the missing items on the trim level available in your state? If it's stuff like heated steering it shouldn't be much effort to replace the wheel, add a button and recode the management units.

A quick google search seems like it's aftermarket and potentially a pita. I wouldn't really know how to do it myself without specific instructions.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Is the tax credit a point of sale credit starting 2023? Is there a website that lists how much credit each EV gets starting 1/1/23?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrLogan posted:

Is the tax credit a point of sale credit starting 2023?

Edit: Starting in 2024. It should effectively be a seamless discount on the car. The dealer is supposed to handle all of it. For 2023, it'll still be a credit you file with your annual taxes.

quote:

Is there a website that lists how much credit each EV gets starting 1/1/23?

I haven't been able to find one that has been updated in the last several months.

The battery sourcing rules have been delayed until "around March". In the meantime, any EV that meets the US assembly requirements will be eligible for the full $7500 credit regardless of where the battery was made.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 27, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am not a Mass resident, hence the question. No one in my state is willing to do dealer swaps.

Just call the DMV/DOL/BMV in whatever state you live in and ask.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Is the tax credit a point of sale credit starting 2023? Is there a website that lists how much credit each EV gets starting 1/1/23?

Credit at time of sale doesn't go into effect until 2024 I believe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Glimm posted:

Anyone have strong opinions about the Lyriq? Looks promising but I don’t know poo poo about cars.

I don't think any normal people have driven one yet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Saw this at an EA station the other day:

An unmarked school bus, couldn't see a district name anywhere on it so I'm not sure if it's just a model they were taking someplace or what. Nonetheless there were 2 guys trying to figure out how to back this thing into the EA spot, which they managed to do successfully! And then the charger they had backed into was out of order so they pulled out and re-backed in to this other one shown in the photo.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Mostly I'm interested in picking up a EV in Mass, my state has 7 (4 really) Bolts available but I really want that heated steering wheel & adaptive cruise control trim level, which aren't available in the state.

It looks like mor-ev might require the car to be purchased in ma

Can I purchase the vehicle out of state?

Effective May 16, 2022, the MOR-EV rebate will only be available for eligible vehicles purchased or leased from licensed dealerships or retail locations located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. For eligible vehicles where no distribution channels are available in Massachusetts, purchases or leases made outside the Commonwealth will be eligible. If vehicles that were previously unavailable become authorized for sale or lease within Massachusetts, applicants will be required to purchase or lease such vehicles from retail locations within the Commonwealth in order to qualify for MOR-EV incentives

https://mor-ev.org/

E: i may have misinterpreted what you were saying. If you're looking at buying in mass from outside of mass mor-ev isn't applicable, but it depends on what state you're in

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 27, 2022

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

WhiteHowler posted:

Yes. It should effectively be a seamless discount on the car. The dealer is supposed to handle all of it.

From what I've heard about US dealerships, the dealer will certainly handle the rebate, and then charge a handling fee of approximately the rebate.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

darnon posted:

Credit at time of sale doesn't go into effect until 2024 I believe.

Yep, you're right.

The Hill has a good article with updated details on the EV tax credit:

https://thehill.com/homenews/3788776-7500-tax-credit-for-evs-start-in-2023-how-will-it-work/

The main takeaway is that the battery sourcing restrictions will be waived for at least the first couple of months of 2023, making it a good time to buy anything that's assembled in the US.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I was not aware of any EV school bus companies. It's an obvious choice, since the routes are not very long. Did you see any manufacturer info?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Speleothing posted:

I was not aware of any EV school bus companies. It's an obvious choice, since the routes are not very long. Did you see any manufacturer info?

Looks like the bus from a company called Green Power Motor Company, never heard of the, fire.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Yep, you're right.

The Hill has a good article with updated details on the EV tax credit:

https://thehill.com/homenews/3788776-7500-tax-credit-for-evs-start-in-2023-how-will-it-work/

The main takeaway is that the battery sourcing restrictions will be waived for at least the first couple of months of 2023, making it a good time to buy anything that's assembled in the US.

I still can’t tell from this if the tax credit will be refundable or if it’s just like the old credit that wasn’t refundable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Speleothing posted:

All the current big boys (international, blue bird, Thomas) have product they’re trotting around. I got to go to a customer product demo earlier this year. School bus is very tightly regulated and not a huge market so I’d be surprised to see someone new crack it, though all things are possible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thwomp posted:

I still can’t tell from this if the tax credit will be refundable or if it’s just like the old credit that wasn’t refundable.

I'm fairly certain that it's not a refundable credit

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

All the current big boys (international, blue bird, Thomas) have product they’re trotting around. I got to go to a customer product demo earlier this year. School bus is very tightly regulated and not a huge market so I’d be surprised to see someone new crack it, though all things are possible.
If you're trying to bash together some kind of V2G set up for your township, strategic hamlet, or other godforsaken burg, having electric schoolbuses is probably a great way to do it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
TFL did a segment on an EV school bus operating in an Alaskan town during their Alaska EV trip.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

I guess this goes here, I have now had several Amazon Rivian van spottings in Dallas, clearly being used for actual deliveries and not just press so it looks like this is a thing that is actually happening.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It looks a bit like they stole the grille + headlights from a Honda E

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Good. More cars should look happy.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Speleothing posted:

I'll ask my neighbour the next time I see him. He's a driver for the Nanaimo, B.C. school district and they have several. He tries to avoid them though - they accelerate too aggressively for his taste. I think that translates as "I'm old and learning new things is hard."

Had family over for Christmas with their new EV Kia. It's the first time since we got the Bolt three years ago that we've had an EV visit and could offer a plug-in as part of our hospitality. Feels good man! :chord:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Accelerating quickly in a school bus is not necessarily a desirable feature in a school bus, OP.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

gwrtheyrn posted:

Accelerating quickly in a school bus is not necessarily a desirable feature in a school bus, OP.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Three Olives posted:

I guess this goes here, I have now had several Amazon Rivian van spottings in Dallas, clearly being used for actual deliveries and not just press so it looks like this is a thing that is actually happening.

I had one of these deliver to me in middle of nowhere (but near a distro center) in September, also seen them on flatbeds out for delivery.

We're close to their HQ though, so we were probably some of the first to get 'em.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Can't you just, not press the accelerator pedal as hard?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elviscat posted:

In what situation is the 0-60 time of a school bus important? We're talking about a big and heavy vehicle packed with children that aren't wearing seatbelts and are definitely not walking around the bus while it's moving, about to move, or about to stop. School buses are also given tons of legal protections around when they stop, so it doesn't even matter how fast they start up again, whereas harder acceleration is most definitely more uncomfortable for passengers. Why design in something that is basically never a positive but is most of the time a negative? Like idk, maybe you guys are too used to being the driver, but being a passenger of someone who thinks slamming the gas is fun blows

Like unless there's some school bus racing circuit I haven't heard of, in which case carry on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

In what situation is the 0-60 time of a school bus important? We're talking about a big and heavy vehicle packed with children that aren't wearing seatbelts and are definitely not walking around the bus while it's moving, about to move, or about to stop. School buses are also given tons of legal protections around when they stop, so it doesn't even matter how fast they start up again, whereas harder acceleration is most definitely more uncomfortable for passengers. Why design in something that is basically never a positive but is most of the time a negative? Like idk, maybe you guys are too used to being the driver, but being a passenger of someone who thinks slamming the gas is fun blows

Like unless there's some school bus racing circuit I haven't heard of, in which case carry on.

Elviscat does not seem to be saying that they want school buses to have high acceleration

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sure sounds like he is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

gwrtheyrn posted:

Sure sounds like he is

No he's not. He's questioning why the driver doesnt do the rational thing and not press the accelerator down as far. EV trucks and buses still going to have the near instant torque on tap due to the nature of EV's and the drivers will need to adapt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Sure sounds like he is

I really don't think it sounds that way :shrug:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sounds an awful lot like 'you're holding your phone wrong' though. That could just as easily be tamed by the manufacturer, and in effect most 'eco modes' are just this. So I guess maybe buses should have that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Regardless of what the dude meant, isn’t it kinda a little bit important how quickly a bus can accelerate? Buses make stops way more than other vehicles so a marginal improvement in acceleration might save a lot of time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Regardless of what the dude meant, isn’t it kinda a little bit important how quickly a bus can accelerate? Buses make stops way more than other vehicles so a marginal improvement in acceleration might save a lot of time.

By far the biggest time sink is how fast people get on and off the bus, and in the case of school buses, crossing the street as well. I'm sure it makes some amount of difference, but it might not be enough to affect route planning to a significant degree.

I'd also be pretty uninterested in riding a bus that actually accelerates that fast unless they redesign the seating as well. Just think of sitting in the seats that face inwards, no thanks

And just to be clear, bus drivers can and do already go harder than is comfortable for their passengers in some cars since they have a schedule to keep, but I assume they're quite aware of that since they probably have to push harder

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 28, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

Elon is that you??

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I gotta imagine the wear and tear factor on transmission/engine from stopping and starting would be a big win for busses going EV.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Elon is that you??
The school bus market is decidedly too unsexy for Elon. Try APCs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

EV trucks and buses still going to have the near instant torque on tap due to the nature of EV's and the drivers will need to adapt.
Pretty sure the manufacturers can apply a curve to that super torque to even it out.

Elviscat posted:

You're very likely combatting years of muscle memory, though. Not so simple.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It takes like, 2 days to get used to the acceleration curve. It’s a real issue but it’s not that big a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vegetable posted:

The school bus market is decidedly too unsexy for Elon. Try APCs.

It’s not a business case it’s just to truck all his kids around