Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Rented The Fabelmans and watched it with my family. It's pretty OK. The ending, however, was amazing. Holy poo poo. Don't even wanna spoiler tag it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sourdough Sam posted:

Rented The Fabelmans and watched it with my family. It's pretty OK. The ending, however, was amazing. Holy poo poo. Don't even wanna spoiler tag it.

Big time agreed. Ended about as perfectly as it could have.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My wife wanted to watch the Santa clause so we watched that. Then she wanted to watch the Santa clause 2 and so we watched that. Then she wanted to watch the Santa clause three so we watched that too. Then she wanted to watch the clauses so we watched that too

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

A MIRACLE posted:

My wife wanted to watch the Santa clause so we watched that. Then she wanted to watch the Santa clause 2 and so we watched that. Then she wanted to watch the Santa clause three so we watched that too. Then she wanted to watch the clauses so we watched that too

:sever:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Glass Onion was a fun watch and I hope we get a new mystery every few years. That said this one (outside of the one twist) wasn’t much of a mystery at all. I do wonder if Musk is going to watch this because one character is definitely influenced by him.

Currently an hour into Halloween Ends and wtf is this movie. One thing I will say I could have never guessed the plot in a 100 years.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I decided to give the new Witcher show a shot and, welp, nope I turned it off 20 minutes in. And I never turn anything off.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

nate fisher posted:

Glass Onion was a fun watch and I hope we get a new mystery every few years. That said this one (outside of the one twist) wasn’t much of a mystery at all. I do wonder if Musk is going to watch this because one character is definitely influenced by him.

People say this but I think its almost a Social Network thing where they accidentally made Zuckerberg seem more human than he actually is in real life. Like, I can't imagine Musk ever having a group of friends he hung out at a bar with. I can't imagine him having friends he didn't pay for or aren't weird reddit guys at all frankly

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sourdough Sam posted:

I liked it a lot. Everyone is really good in it. Some absolutely amazing shots.

The ending is 100% true btw. That actually did happen to Spielberg.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not to be that guy, but the new season of Letterkenny is pretty good.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
how is Tales from the Loop?

Did they actually make a quality show adapted from a loving art book lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s pretty good.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Your scepticism is warranted but it's good.

It's like a melancholic version of the Twilight Zone, except all the stories take place in the one location and all interlink lightly, while standing alone. Some might find it a bit too downbeat. I'd love to see a second series. Maybe the artbook was just an excuse for someone making a show they always wanted to.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I thought a couple of episodes were OK but overall pretty trite and the episodes were way too long.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I only watched the first episode and thought it was good... but then people told me that none of the other episodes were as good as the first and I didn't bother to watch more

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

People say this but I think its almost a Social Network thing where they accidentally made Zuckerberg seem more human than he actually is in real life. Like, I can't imagine Musk ever having a group of friends he hung out at a bar with. I can't imagine him having friends he didn't pay for or aren't weird reddit guys at all frankly

Aside from a couple jokes he seemed more to be a Steve Jobs type than Elon

Jobs wouldn't have hung out with randos either, though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I felt mixed on Glass Onion just like I did Knives out. Fun, probably too long, but kind of bs as a mystery. It creates mystery by omitting a bunch of information and then feeding it to you in an info dump at the end. There’s no fun in guessing cause it doesn’t tell you what you need to know to begin with. Also I know I’m supposed to love the performances but imo a lot of them are corny and not great.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

I felt mixed on Glass Onion just like I did Knives out. Fun, probably too long, but kind of bs as a mystery. It creates mystery by omitting a bunch of information and then feeding it to you in an info dump at the end. There’s no fun in guessing cause it doesn’t tell you what you need to know to begin with. Also I know I’m supposed to love the performances but imo a lot of them are corny and not great.

Yeah, it's a cheap imitation of the kind of mysteries it's trying to spoof.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The new season of Jack Ryan is pretty fun. Highly recommended if you enjoy spy thrillers with Russian baddies. I've also just read they filmed season 4 at the same time, so it shouldn't be another two year wait to see it. Reportedly it will also be the last season. Give Wendell Pierce a spinoff and I'd watch the poo poo out of it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m watching glass onion lmao Daniel Craig’s accent is atrocious. He sounds like the episode of the office where everyone pretends they’re from savannah. Which was also for a murder mystery..

I’m sad about it not being a real mystery given that the word mystery is in the title

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 27, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Goldie Hahn's daughter was especially wooden in multiple scenes, I was not impressed with her performance at all.

I thought the movie was pretty good overall though, fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Janelle Monae is a talented singer and she seems like a charming person, but I feel like she's a pretty bad actress in everything I've seen her in. Also I know everyone loves Daniel Craig doing a Foghorn Leghorn impression, but I just find him annoying tbh.

But yeah. It's fun. I wasn't bored with either of the movies I just feel super meh about them.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Janelle Monae is a talented singer and she seems like a charming person, but I feel like she's a pretty bad actress in everything I've seen her in.

That charm comes through in her acting though. She’s the main reason I want to watch the movie.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Agreed. Her natural charisma overcomes the spotty acting. Especially for a role like this which is 95% about charm.

Movie is still mediocre.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Papercut posted:

Goldie Hahn's daughter was especially wooden in multiple scenes, I was not impressed with her performance at all.

I thought the movie was pretty good overall though, fun.

From the misspelling I thought you meant Kathryn Hahn who is in the movie but is not related to Goldie Hawn, but then I remembered Goldie Hawn's actual daughter Kate Hudson is also in the movie.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

From the misspelling I thought you meant Kathryn Hahn who is in the movie but is not related to Goldie Hawn, but then I remembered Goldie Hawn's actual daughter Kate Hudson is also in the movie.

Lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok finished knives out. The southern accents got a little more tolerable as the movie went but still sounded fake as hell. monaes accent was somehow worse than Craig’s, maybe because Craig’s was intentionally cartoonish

Anyyyyway it was fun, the mystery part only lasted about 10 minutes before they launch into the expository whodunit explainy part. Pretty much like tuning in to the final act of clue only the actors aren’t nearly as charming. Kathryn Hahn was mostly wasted. Bautistas character was wholly unsubtle. And the scientist character basically did and said nothing the entire movie. Just there as a backdrop to explain the future fuel product not elon was marketing

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really didn't get the conclusion to Glass Onion
we have no evidence. Just blow his poo poo up.
His friends were always disloyal, they weren't testifying against him because of his wealth. He still has his wealth. All you did is burn his house up???? Why did they just all suddenly decide to testify against him and lose access to all that wealth?
There's no real change
She gives this stupid triumphant speech about it being the "public launch" for Clear or w/e as if this is the moment in the film where it was all broadcast live around the world.......there's still absolutely no evidence of anything. You just destroyed a bunch of his property and burned up his house.
Were his stupid friends just charmed by her stupid speech???

I thought Monae's accent was charming tho

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I really didn't get the conclusion to Glass Onion
we have no evidence. Just blow his poo poo up.
His friends were always disloyal, they weren't testifying against him because of his wealth. He still has his wealth. All you did is burn his house up???? Why did they just all suddenly decide to testify against him and lose access to all that wealth?
There's no real change
She gives this stupid triumphant speech about it being the "public launch" for Clear or w/e as if this is the moment in the film where it was all broadcast live around the world.......there's still absolutely no evidence of anything. You just destroyed a bunch of his property and burned up his house.
Were his stupid friends just charmed by her stupid speech???

I thought Monae's accent was charming tho

Glass Onion ending:

She didn't just blow up his house, there were two additional important factors at play: One, his house blew up because his new flagship product is faulty and dangerous. Two, this fire destroyed the loving Mona Lisa because he overrode the mandated security measures. These factors will draw the kind of scrutiny that can't just be handwaved away even if there's no immediate evidence, even before you consider testimony from Blanc and Helen. Buildings don't just explode like that, and a regular fire shouldn't have been able to touch the painting.

So that's what the headlines will read the next day: "Idiot Billionaire blew up his house by using dangerous untested fuel and destroyed a priceless piece of cultural heritage". Helen blew up his entire reputation, which is ultimately the only thing his wealth really derives from. His net worth will be plummeting in a matter of days, and while he probably won't end up literally penniless, he'll no longer be unfathomably stupid rich. That's what the rest of the group realized as well. He'd no longer be their golden ticket, so with that out of the way they had nothing to lose by testifying against him and probably even had something to gain by publicly distancing themselves from him ASAP.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 27, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
More Glass Onion:
He was hosting world leaders there to unveil his new energy source there in a few days. He's already drawn all the attention to himself and invested his major company heavily in this boondoggle. His cybertruck didn't just catch fire, it caught fire while running over the world's most famous kid hours before the press conference.

The shitheads also all believed he alone could help them because of his genius, they were - all of them - true believers. That illusion has been shattered and he's no longer the genius with a plan to help them, he's the jackass who scribbled "child = nft?" on a piece of paper and got lucky. Once that illusion of power over them is shattered the wolves turn against him.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
More Glass Onion:

Leslie Odom Jr. also agrees to remember Bautista's testimony about seeing the car driving from Helen's sisters house, and they all agree to see the original napkin, basically motive and opportunity for her murder.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, the Glass Onion ending does a pretty good job of showing none of them are willing to do the right thing at personal risk, but they all had grown to personally loathe Miles so much that when actually staying on his side was no longer financially or politically advantageous they immediately turned on him. Like they didn't just agree to tell the truth, they agreed to testify on things they didn't even personally witness like him driving away from the house to fully gently caress him over lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My favorite part of Glass Onion was the "He's an idiot" montage.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Glass Onion:
It's not even that he doesn't have power over them anymore, it's that he's actively destroyed each of them. He pressured Hahn and Odom into signing off on his idiotic explosive fuel, he pressured Birdie into giving a statement taking blame for the sweatshop debacle (after he stole her heirloom blood diamond), he dragged her assistant down at the same time, and he literally murdered Whiskey's boyfriend/meal ticket.

He was able to do this because they all believed his idiotic lies, and they're all mad and embarrassed at howhe was able to trick them for basically the past decade. It's very satisfying.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Referring to her as Goldie Hawn's daughter seems like a weird attempt to dismiss her given she's had a 20+ year career in several highly regarded movies.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Referring to her as Goldie Hawn's daughter seems like a weird attempt to dismiss her given she's had a 20+ year career in several highly regarded movies.

It presumably has something to do with her getting upset over nepo baby criticism and saying nepotism is worse elsewhere so it doesn’t really matter for her.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

withak posted:

Not to be that guy, but the new season of Letterkenny is pretty good.

I'm four episodes in and it owns. It has always been awesome though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

smackfu posted:

Interesting, I got one that said they screwed up the advance notifications and they were extending my year until Feb 2. But didn’t actually charge me.

Just an FYI I finally got charged for this, I hadn't been charged either when I got the email

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok finished knives out. The southern accents got a little more tolerable as the movie went but still sounded fake as hell. monaes accent was somehow worse

His accent is supposed to be cartoonish, like Foghorn Leghorn.

I didn't understand why Monae's accent was that way though, her dead twin didn't have a southern accent, but her alive twin head a heavy one. It was good.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Nihonniboku posted:

His accent is supposed to be cartoonish, like Foghorn Leghorn.

I didn't understand why Monae's accent was that way though, her dead twin didn't have a southern accent, but her alive twin head a heavy one. It was good.

They kind of explained that when she said her rich twin was doing an impression of a rich person, that they called "rich bitch" when they were younger. Andi's lack of a southern accent was an affectation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Deadite posted:

They kind of explained that when she said her rich twin was doing an impression of a rich person, that they called "rich bitch" when they were younger. Andi's lack of a southern accent was an affectation

They also explain Benoit's accent his accent is always cartoonish, but he also tells Helen something like that he'll play it up when he first meets the others so they underestimate him.