Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think whether Denver looks like an appealing target is whether Hackett had any play in how bad Wilson is. If he plays better under the new management then there is hope

If he doesn’t then your just hiring warm bodies as you run out the clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any established head coach that the Broncos interview probably has two requirements: 1) overpay me 2) do not fire me based on Russ sucking

If ownership is not willing to do that, they'll get a C tier candidate at best.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nervous posted:

Nooooooo :(

Was really hoping he'd make it to the end of the season to help the Seahawks draft position out :hawksin:

I think they can still comfortably manage to lose out against the Chiefs (in Arrowhead no less) and Chargers with or without Hackett’s talents.

Then again the Panthers immediately got better when Rhule was fired, and the Chargers are the Chargers. So that last game could be feisty.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Denver has been a dogshit franchise for a while now and Russ, at a point in time where he had options, wanted to go there so who knows. People around the league might think higher of them than they should.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

solarjetman posted:

Any established head coach that the Broncos interview probably has two requirements: 1) overpay me 2) do not fire me based on Russ sucking

If ownership is not willing to do that, they'll get a C tier candidate at best.

I think Plan A for any coach coming in is to fix Russ. It's going to be awfully difficult to win in Denver for anyone unless they get some kind of value out of him. Plan B is that anyone coming in will want control of the roster, then they wont have to play Russ if he isn't working out, and they can potentially draft or sign a replacement.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Simplex posted:

I think Plan A for any coach coming in is to fix Russ. It's going to be awfully difficult to win in Denver for anyone unless they get some kind of value out of him. Plan B is that anyone coming in will want control of the roster, then they wont have to play Russ if he isn't working out, and they can potentially draft or sign a replacement.

Russ has to want to be fixed, I don’t think he sees himself as the problem.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

Denver has been a dogshit franchise for a while now and Russ, at a point in time where he had options, wanted to go there so who knows. People around the league might think higher of them than they should.

The perception of Denver since their Super Bowl win (can you really be a dogshit franchise if you won a superbowl 7 years ago after a string of very successful seasons?) has been that they’re struggling because they can’t find a QB.

Tampa was bad for a lot longer and Tom still went there because they had a lot of talent but QB play was killing then. I assume Russ picked Denver because he assumed he could have similar success and he’s obviously arrogant enough to believe that he can make any coach look good.

Besides, what made it appealing to Russ is that they didn’t have a QB that’s worth a poo poo which is not the same thing that will appeal to a Coach or GM.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

denver was a good franchise until right now. or i guess there are like 3 franchises that aren't dogshit. either or

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Hackett has been dogshit ever since he was OC at Buffalo under Marrone, he really is emblematic of the NFL culture of failing up for mediocre white guys

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MJeff posted:

Maybe, but they're gonna be looking for someone who can fix Russ and they may look at the way Goff played this year and think Johnson can do it.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1607452970181922817

Anyway, I hope they hire one of these guys.

Quinn can coach defense, but there had better be an outstanding offense in place for one of his teams to be at it. Quinn cannot coach up an offense to save his life and this was with a Matt Ryan that was still pretty good.

I have no beef with Denver, but I admit that seeing someone else suffer with Quinn as a head coach would entertain me a lot.

Also, 28-3

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Paracausal posted:

Hackett has been dogshit ever since he was OC at Buffalo under Marrone, he really is emblematic of the NFL culture of failing up for mediocre white guys

Nothing guarantees NFL promotions like being a white dude who is liked by a HoF QB.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Simplex posted:

yeah realistically there is no point in bringing in anyone who Russ doesn't want to work with and someone who doesnt want to work with Russ. There is no getting rid of that contract unless they trade it away to someone willing to accept the salary dump of all salary dumps - and that would likely require multiple first round picks they dont have - so you _have_ to fix russ or your franchise is dead for 3 years.

Yikes.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Defensive head coach just means Russ can cycle through OCs year after year. The only way Russ improves is if someone has more leverage than he does and can tell him No. And that's also the only way the coach lasts more than two years and keeps whatever reputation he had.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Noticed that Hackett is a 50/50 split of Lane Kiffin and Tom Hanks and haven't been able to really move on with my day since.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

adaz posted:

yeah realistically there is no point in bringing in anyone who Russ doesn't want to work with and someone who doesnt want to work with Russ. There is no getting rid of that contract unless they trade it away to someone willing to accept the salary dump of all salary dumps - and that would likely require multiple first round picks they dont have - so you _have_ to fix russ or your franchise is dead for 3 years.

Yikes.

I think herein lies the issue. With their current talent level their best path forward is to either just bite the bullet and send something to someone along with Russ in a salary dump and suck for another two years, or try to build a run heavy offense with flooding crossing routes that they have the receivers and backs (when healthy) to do but I can't see Russ being happy with the offense not being focused on him and his brand.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Noticed that Hackett is a 50/50 split of Lane Kiffin and Tom Hanks and haven't been able to really move on with my day since.

"WILSON!!!" -Nathaniel Hackett probably

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Cross-post of the work Chris James 2 did for my request of recent Jags coaches in the Week 16 aftermath thread...

Chris James 2 posted:

Jaguars HCs, 2012-now (where they are now):
Mike Mularkey (retired 2 years ago)
Gus Bradley (Colts' DC)
Doug Marrone (Saints' Oline coach)
Urban Meyer (unemployed)
Darrell Bevell (Dolphins' QB coach and pass coordinator)
Doug Pederson

Jaguars OCs, 2012-now (where they are now):
Bob Bratkowski (retired 5 years ago)
Jedd Fisch (University of Arizona HC)
Greg Olson (Rams' senior offensive assistant)
Nathaniel Hackett (:rubby:)
John DeFilippo (USFL New Orleans Breakers HC)
Jay Gruden (Rams' offensive consultant)
Brian Schottenheimer (Cowboys coaching analyst)
Press Taylor

Jaguars DCs, 2012-now (where they are now):
Mel Tucker (Michigan State HC)
Bob Babich (retired)
Todd Wash (Lions' dline coach)
Joe Cullen (Chiefs' dline coach)
Mike Caldwell

..to say this: a Jaguar coach from the last 10 years (excepting Mel Tucker, who was left over from relatively good years) is like a piece of furniture that has been left next to an apartment trash dumpster. If you can't tell what's wrong with it, that is a problem with your perception and not a positive quality of something someone else has thrown away.

Those OCs are like futon mattresses in context of the metaphor.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm hearing a lot of HC buzz around Ed Donatell. So much of it in fact that he should probably just resign so he can practice on his interview technique

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fine, i will coach the denver broncos

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So what would the Saints reasonably demand for the rights to Payton and Fangio? They need the picks so they’re in no position to just let him go.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm hearing a lot of HC buzz around Ed Donatell. So much of it in fact that he should probably just resign so he can practice on his interview technique

No one would laugh louder at this than Vikings fans.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

So what would the Saints reasonably demand for the rights to Payton and Fangio? They need the picks so they’re in no position to just let him go.

2 seconds and or a 2nd and some change probably.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

R.D. Mangles posted:

hire me as OC and we'll run the Tecmo playbook

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Major Operation posted:

..to say this: a Jaguar coach from the last 10 years (excepting Mel Tucker, who was left over from relatively good years) is like a piece of furniture that has been left next to an apartment trash dumpster. If you can't tell what's wrong with it, that is a problem with your perception and not a positive quality of something someone else has thrown away.

Little off topic in the NFL hot seat thread but this name jumped out at me too, although for different reasons.

It's too early to say with Mel but there's a distinct possibility he's the Russell Wilson of coaches, although college has been getting incredibly stupid with coaching contracts and a bunch of them don't look good as of now (hey Jimbo, hey Mario). He got that bag after his one good year as a HC (10 years, 95 million guaranteed with no buyout?) and then he fell flat on his face this year. I don't even know if falling flat on his face counts, he just went back to what he'd been before that one 11-2 outlier of a year.

He's got time to try to turn it around and apparently he's recruiting well--or at least well for the Spartans. So unless he pisses off some very, very, very rich people he's going to be around Michigan State for a while.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Early season Nathaniel Hackett vs. late season Nathaniel Hackett with a mustache and wearing all black should be more of a meme IMO.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

fartknocker posted:

hire me as OC and we'll run the Tecmo playbook

Have Russ run into his own end zone then throw a bomb to the other end zone?

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Joe Lombardi is a war criminal

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chucktesla posted:

Joe Lombardi is a war criminal

I hate him

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Can I be DC? I'll run cover 0 all game long.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i have turned down the Broncos head coaching position to focus on my family and my office job

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you can get a Sean Payton/Vic Fangio combo to run your team basically every team in the NFL other than like 4 or 5 should fire their coaching staff and do it.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
It's gonna be an interesting offseason to see where Payton ends up, or he stays in broadcasting another year to see if a better option materializes. Staley managing to turn the Chargers around and clinch a playoff berth despite all the injuries they've suffered along with the :discourse: move of giving Spanos the game ball last night, PLUS Dean's inherent cheapness who probably doesn't want to fire a guy two seasons in, likely saved his job. And IF Fat Mike doesn't get eliminated in the Wild Card and can at least have a competitive losing effort against the Eagles in the divisional round, Jerry will probably give him another season. He always tends to be loyal to his coaches and give them longer than they often deserve.

Those always seemed like the two likely potential openings Sean would want most. If they aren't available, would he take that Broncos job with that albatross Wilson contract? If the Ravens fired Harbaugh would he convince the owner to pay Lamar what he wants and help them take the next step? Arizona despite the dysfunction because he'd wanna work with Kyler and help him mature?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's going to be interesting to see Eric Bienemy being one of the few coaches who would take the Broncos' job and put him back in Colorado but the Broncos won't offer it to him because he interviews poorly or whatever and they'll hire someone with 1/10th his experience who will totally fail again but hey he's white at least

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
If the Broncos interview process doesn’t include a game management standardized test then they will have learned nothing

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

It's going to be interesting to see Eric Bienemy being one of the few coaches who would take the Broncos' job and put him back in Colorado but the Broncos won't offer it to him because he interviews poorly or whatever and they'll hire someone with 1/10th his experience who will totally fail again but hey he's white at least

Nobody has wanted Bienemy for years including teams that went on to hire other black coaches. Maybe the guy really is just a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If the Broncos interview process doesn’t include a game management standardized test then they will have learned nothing

“It’s 1st and 10 from your own 25 yard line after a touchback on the opening kickoff. Please choose the best play to call in that situation:

A) Power run behind the left guard
B) Reverse to the wide receiver
C) Spider 2-Y Banana
D) Da Bomb
E) Call a timeout then punt”

D obviously

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nobody has wanted Bienemy for years including teams that went on to hire other black coaches. Maybe the guy really is just a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Sounds like he's the hero we need

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Wasn't the rumor that he really hates analytics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah I think he may just be a poor candidate. Chiefs have two of these kind of fellas, Toub and Bienemy.