Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Foul Fowl posted:

it's like a tactical fps. every mission you're told to kill one or more people and then find the level exit. there's tons of different ways to go about this, the levels are generally enormous and sprawling and full of weird things and secrets and terrifying enemies. the game knows it's a game, knows that you know it's a game, and so messes with your expectations and its rules very freely. movement feels amazing and only gets better with the more hideous and disgusting bio mods you buy and install into yourself. it looks ugly as gently caress until you play it for a bit. then it looks great.

no setpieces, no walk and chats, no compromising fun for the sake of realism with five second animations for picking up an egg. just gameplay. it's hard to explain the exact feeling you get but it's kinda like when you pull off something really sick and unexpected that the game clearly didn't account for. cruelty squad feels like it doesn't account for anything, it just lets you try whatever you want.

definitely one to try to see if you like it, there's nothing like it.

well haha good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

If you liked the story of Soma, you might also like this brief sci-fi horror story with similar themes: https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

busalover posted:

Hidden object? Like, find the right pixel?

There's the Artifex Mundi games which are like jamming together a regular hidden-object game with the lightest plastering of a point-and-click adventure game on top, but it's the same 2 or 3 dozen puzzles recycled on top of one another between every game, so they get samey after playing them for a few days in a row. They're good podcast vehicles since they don't require anywhere near as much thought as some point and click adventure games.

and a bunch of other ones like "100 hidden _____" which is its own series, Find All 1/2/3, Looking for Aliens, etc. which are just straight up "there's 36 cats hidden in this picture. go nuts"

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Hidden Object Games own because you can get a ton of them for cheap and it's a chill couple of hours of gaming.

I got burnt out on them, they're just so similar. They all draw from the same small pool of puzzles and the stories are always trash.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i play notorious game genre America a lot

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

So if one of my fondest console memories was swinging around New York in that great Spider-Man game for PS2 are the new ones worth it?
They're like the Arkham games but with vastly superior city-swinging to that of Spiderman 2. Which also means the stories aren't great and the costume design is frequently atrocious.

But they're still really fun to play. A lot of people don't even bother with the fast travel because its such a joy just swinging about the place.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I think my graph is slightly skewed because I decided to finish Walking Dead Season 1.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Gorn Myson posted:

They're like the Arkham games but with vastly superior city-swinging to that of Spiderman 2. Which also means the stories aren't great and the costume design is frequently atrocious.

But they're still really fun to play. A lot of people don't even bother with the fast travel because its such a joy just swinging about the place.

If you like Spider-Man stories and comic book references (I do) then both the story and costumes are great. I'm not sure which costumes would even be considered atrocious outside of bad comic book costumes which are definitely someone's favorite.

If you're a fan of Marvel stuff in general there are lots of easter eggs in the city. You can swing over to Avengers Tower, you can find the offices of Murdock and Nelson, stuff like that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some early insight into my top 50 list hehhhh

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Anyone played Lacuna?

I picked up (and immediately finished) The Case of the Golden Idol and I think I enjoyed it even more than Obra Dinn. Really jonesing for some more logical deduction games, but it seems to be a pretty shallow well at the moment.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As usual during the winter sale \ my birthday, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, tell me your favorite genre(s), receive a game.

In return, write a review of the game somewhere and\or ride the gift train.

Don't add me if you just want more goon friends, that's not the point here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Borb quantity: ascending

This game's story has gone completely off the rails in ways I don't think were advertised at all and I'm trying to finish it before the end of the year so I can include it in my top 10 of the year since I know it will be somewhere on there. but I'm 60 hours in and it looks like there's still a lot left.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I guess I'll give it a go since my cart is already pretty hefty. It would be much easier to make the decision if it didn't look so bad to someone who hasn't played it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

How playable is Harvestella with mouse and keyboard?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
cruelty squad is only $10 right now.

its a capitalism themed FPS with character augments and secrets and a whole lot of guns. the level variety is great and so is the soundtrack. it was my goty of 2021, my compleitionist run took me about 30 hours. it was definitely the most unique FPS ive played in a while so I decided to stick around for a bit and grab everything.

the game does have a...unique visual presentation admittedly but I think that's part of the charm. the dev put in a whole lot of work to make it look like he didn't put in any work.

play it!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The 7th Guest posted:

some early insight into my top 50 list hehhhh

I want a cyberpunk farming sim now

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Waste of Breath posted:

Anyone played Lacuna?

I picked up (and immediately finished) The Case of the Golden Idol and I think I enjoyed it even more than Obra Dinn. Really jonesing for some more logical deduction games, but it seems to be a pretty shallow well at the moment.

Yeah, I found it to be a very good narrative game but I wouldn't put it in the same boat as The Case of Golden Idol or Obra Dinn.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

External Organs posted:

oddly the only games I played on Steam in 2022 that were tagged cyberpunk were Jack Move, The Eternal Castle (not cyberpunk lol), Gamedec and Song of Farca. only 4 games out of the couple hundred I played, seems weird that it would highlight that tag, rather than, idk, Adventure?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1507780/Space_Warlord_Organ_Trading_Simulator/

What's more fitting thing to farm in a cyberpunk setting than the organs of those the less fortunate than you?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, I found it to be a very good narrative game but I wouldn't put it in the same boat as The Case of Golden Idol or Obra Dinn.

Thanks, that was my worry. There's a discussion thread on the Golden Idol steam forum with a bunch of recommendations, but most people are just recommending detective games (ex: Disco Elysium is good, but doesn't scratch the same itch). Hadn't heard of Lacuna before, so it was really the only recommendation that caught my eye as having potential.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

drat, I didn't realize but 75% of my playtime on Steam this year was split between just 3 games
and another 11% on a fourth (DNF duel) for 86% total between my top 4.

it doesn't count non-steam games though of course.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

no Cyberpunk but at least I got Dinosaurs... but I think I basically only played Jurassic Park evo 2 with my kid and barely any other.

also interesting how the Deck performed, thought I would have spent more time with it

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, SOMA is great. Solid sci-fi idea/premise with a really good execution. I guess my one complaint is that the main character is a bit dim, but it's not like he supposed to be someone extremely smart and he doesn't exactly have time to think things through over the course of the game.

It put me off a lot though, he's not getting anything of whats happening around him and going like "whaaat" until the very end. It really drags the game down. Creates just too much of a gap between you as the player and the character you're supposed to be. Atmosphere and setting, as well as general story is great though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Phigs posted:

I guess I'll give it a go since my cart is already pretty hefty. It would be much easier to make the decision if it didn't look so bad to someone who hasn't played it.

i refunded it the first time i played it for the same reason (and the cops in the mall level, lol) then bought it again the next day and it was my GOTY last year. idk, it's not gonna be for everyone but for a particular type of gamer brain fuel addict it's sublime. the narrative is strangely compelling and consistent. the surprises are endless and very rude. the levels range from really good to some of my favourites ever in any game. it feels really incredible to play from the start, and there's a lot of customisation with the bio mods and equipment.

some goon said it's a game with an incredible amount of effort put into it, and then twice as much effort put in to make it seem like there wasn't.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

haldolium posted:

It put me off a lot though, he's not getting anything of whats happening around him and going like "whaaat" until the very end. It really drags the game down. Creates just too much of a gap between you as the player and the character you're supposed to be. Atmosphere and setting, as well as general story is great though.

I thought it was tolerable considering the circumstances and condition the main character was in, outside of the one egregious scene at the very end, where he was genuinely shocked by something that was explained to him like 5 times over the course of the game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, I played alot more games that I thought I did.

My most played game was Deep Rock galactic, which makes me proud. Second most was Persona 4, which I never got around to finishing the extra "Golden" bit.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i got a racing chair this summer so you better believe my most played game was forza horizon 5

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Anyone play any good Diablo likes recently that they can recommend?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

55% of my video game time was spent playing Space Engineers apparently

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

big cummers ONLY posted:

If you liked the story of Soma, you might also like this brief sci-fi horror story with similar themes: https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

Well, that's hosed

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Played 54 minutes of Environmental Station Alpha and my finger's on the refund button; they don't actually expect me to use this grapple for platforming, do they? It's an abomination.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the grapple is fun wtf

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Cruelty Squad, above all else, never makes you think you've got it figured out for long. Every time you think "Alright, I can see how the rest of the game is going to play out", no, you don't, it'll keep throwing esoteric curveballs at you even after you finish it. To say it's memorable is an understatement. But it's something that only becomes apparent once you spend some time with it and are willing to experiment, prod and push, against this blob of seemingly impenetrable madness.

Lightning in a bottle, this game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

So if one of my fondest console memories was swinging around New York in that great Spider-Man game for PS2 are the new ones worth it?

Absolutely if you also like Batman Arkham or Sleeping Dogs style combat. Fair warning that you work with the cops like all the time and I just had to keep telling myself this is another universe with aliens and poo poo but it does suck. Most of the rest of the story is OK to good in parts and the DLC is fun tho I also found it quite a bit more difficult on the second highest difficulty. Ended up getting 100% in the main game and DLCs and it took about 43 hours so it's long but not in the way that the newer Assassin's Creed games and such open worlds can get.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Re: Cruelty Squad chat:

I played, like, fifteen to twenty minutes of that game, and it's for like fuckin' gods, unless I'm missing something. I walk through the first door into the first room, and some guy instantly murks me, like I dunno if I took one shot or three or what, but I'm dead as hell. I do this a couple more times, then I look around the outside of the building for another entrance, some kind of item or powerup or extra gun, something. Then I slam the interact key on every visible wall, because I know FPS players somehow love 'secrets' that involve slamming the interact key on every visible wall, and I know this game has nebulously-defined secrets. Nothing. So I decide to sack up, and eventually get to the THIRD enemy, after a thrilling, like, twenty or thirty seconds of nonstop near-instant death per run, and eventually decide to pick it back up later. But I keep hearing people say it's got, like, a bunch of depth and super fun and all kinds of cool stuff, but... like, I'm not a stranger to difficulty of various kinds, I'm not a big FPS guy but I've played my share on the equivalent of, like, Hard mode - not Mega Hard mode, but decently tough. But the near-instant death I encountered I CS is pretty disheartening. Anybody got any, like, comments? Am I doing the equivalent of something real stupid, or is that the game and I'm just not getting it?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Two of the best games of 2022....and BF2042 :sweatdrop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Makes me happy to see such huge ‘games played’ counts, everyone’s trying games out and seeking out interesting things!!!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Seems pretty accurate. My top 3 most played games this year were all some sort of farming game.

I play a lot of co-op shooters too; I'm surprised they didn't make the cut for whatever algorithm steam is using.

I think both the "Roguelike Deckbuilder" and "Card Battler" axis are just Slay the Spire which is doubly surprising because I'm terrible at it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

I was the biggest mgs fan but after MGSV I don't think I'll play any Kojima game anymore. Dude's completely gone up his own rear end.

His games still look impressive as hell but I don't want to hear Conan O'Brien monologue on some fantasy poo poo for 20 minutes.
Kojima needs a goddamn editor and a responsible parent to tell him 'No, you can't do that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Proud to have a game in my top 3 that I'd almost stake my life on no one else having in their top 3.

Less proud to be forced to acknowledge that I can't play with KB+M for long periods anymore cause of pain in my hands/wrists :(

(TUP is a VR game that *had* an interactive theatre component with live actors, it is one of the coolest things I have ever seen in VR so you bet your rear end I was in it daily while the actors were around earlier this year)

I also thought it was interesting that I could correlate playtime with weather, and was very happy to see that I touch grass more when it's nice out. December's an outlier, just the winter blues. :(