Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Holy crap, that's a brutal figure. It's giving me flashbacks of the Fast Forces: Chaos War Scarlet Witch and how hard she made it to get that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I do like stories of victories won by making the enemy punch himself in the face repeatedly.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

I do like stories of victories won by making the enemy punch himself in the face repeatedly.

"Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yours… wait, you know what? Don't stop hitting yourself."

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So I found a few boxes of Hobbit clix at Ollie's for 15 bucks. Grabbed one. Turned out it was just 3 copies of everybody from #1-#8, so I got hosed by someone snaking all the rare ones out before reselling them.

Anyone need 3 Dwalin The Dwarfs?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Did an Avengers forever sealed event today. I pulled like hot garbage and okayed a team of commons and Uncommons.

Captain America at 45
Captain America at 45
Bucky at Full
Bucky at Full
The Falcon

Welcome to team Stutter:

Round 1 I had the bye and played against the judges team of

Wonder Man
Black Panther
Gorilla Man
Nick Fury
Mrs Marvel Kang chase

This did not go super well for me as my dice were ice cold and I couldn’t hit 18’s. It also didn’t help that Mrs. Kang made a bunch of duplicates to tie me up. I managed to KO Nick but that was it, I lost a cap, Bucky and the Falcon. Still a win though!

Round 2 versus

200 point Hulk
50 point Iron Man
Iron Lad at 50

I won map and went to dooms castle. There was positioning and then hulk charged though a wall to hit one of my bucky’s to enhancement. I had the captains get in there to annoy him with their CR while I picked off his support. The captains were dodging like champs until one didn’t and ended up KO’d. Hulks first stop click was a big pain as I couldn’t outwit him so I instead bothered him with my cap while perplexing down his attack with a hurt Falcon. I finally managed to hit and knock him off his first stop click and things got slightly better. Cap was still ducking and dodging while the rest of the team kept taking potshots with the extra enhancer coming in very handy. The final blow was landed by Captain America himself who was by far the MVP of the match

Round 3 versus

Ghost Panther at 75
Prime Iron Ant
2 Iron Lads

Yeah this was not a good matchup for me at all. I lost map and ended up on one of the cardboard starter maps. I hid on elevated until he came at me and I went for my attacks. I needed 7’s. I rolled 7 straight 6’s on every attack burning all my theme probs. That hurt very very badly as all those missed attacks turned the game from Ok I KO’d his chase and my caps are still good tie up to I am getting poisoned and he’s not missing. I did manage to KO his ghost Panther but by then the iron lads and their double prob were all up in my business and I only had one outwit to deal with them. His die went a little cold at this point and I battled back hard, KOing Iron Ant with some crazy good rolls but lost my caps and a Bucky to relentless shooting from the lads. I just never had a chance to hit them and the game ended in a 165-150 defeat for me. If I don’t miss literally every single loving attack round 1 I think I have the game handily as I’d have taken significantly less clicks to caps due to the mystics and poison. Oh well, I won a Bucky team up card for coming in 2nd with a bunch of poo poo rear end commons so I’ll take it!

Morand fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 15, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The Q4 2022 Watchlist update is up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My AFFE sealed experience wasn't anything special. Pulled SR 200 point Iron Man and played him with Captain America, Black Panther, and Mantis for an Avengers theme team based around keeping tokens off of Iron Man.

The simultaneous high-and-lowlight was round 3, when I went against the SR Hulk team. We killed each other's support squad pretty easily and the resulting match was such a clusterfuck that it was hilarious. Hulk can pull tokens off himself, Iron Man can move every turn, neither one can kill the other because worse comes to worst, they'll regen it. Ended up with Hulk on his last stop click and Iron Man on his second-to-last, and I won because my team was only 295 points, giving me a 100-95 victory. So dumb.

Afterwards I bought three more boosters and got SR Echo and SR Thanos, who was my #1 want, so I'm very happy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I didn't know we needed Wolverine on a bed, but thanks all the same WizKids.

I know those Spidermen probably only support two figures, but I wish they worked like the old Mysterio where you could theoretically have an army of doppelgangers (no not that one) to wade through trying to find the real one.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Father Wendigo posted:

I didn't know we needed Wolverine on a bed, but thanks all the same WizKids.

I know those Spidermen probably only support two figures, but I wish they worked like the old Mysterio where you could theoretically have an army of doppelgangers (no not that one) to wade through trying to find the real one.

What in Shaft's name am I looking at?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

What in Shaft's name am I looking at?
Iconix! Non-blind mini-sets, ranging from 1 to 8 figures. The Hellfire Gala was just the first one.

There's also Batman slapping Robin, Bane breaking Batman's back, a Death and Return of Superman set, and Thanos snapping.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Okay, gonna need a Bed Wolverine. Team Laying Down so rarely gets a new addition.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Now we need a ThanosCopter.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Esplanade posted:

Now we need a ThanosCopter.

It was a 2018 convention exclusive.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

It was a 2018 convention exclusive.

And it was and still is delightful

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Scott Porter tossed up a tease on his instagram about opening BTU boosters so hopefully more previews drop soon

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I actually played today! 400 points, no figures can be over 100 points.

I built 2 teams for the event. Team 1 was Amazons and consisted of a bunch of stuff from WW80.

Team 2 was a little more competitive and I told myself I’d only bring it out if I saw anyone going a little too ham.

Well, when I got there I saw a team with Sakarrian Iron Man and the cloak of levitation so I pulled out the competitive team.

It was past themed and consisted of the following

Kang the Conqueror
Ms. Kang
D+ Miss Minutes
D+ Ravonna Renslayer
D+ SR Prime Captain Carter
WW80 The Flash on his charge line
WW80 The Flash on TK line
WW80 Sky Tyrant at 50
Wonder Woman’s Bracelets

Round 1 against the team that caused me to run it

It was Latveria or Avengers themed

Demon in an Armor
Valeria Richards who can pick her attack power
Morgan Le Fay legacy at lower value
Sakarrian Iron Man
SR Prime Hank Pym Ultron
WOR Chase Spider-Man
Ms. Kang

I won map and chose the Honeymoon Resort

We both did the equipment dance to start and he nabbed objects with Iron-Man. I rolled leadership with Captain Carter and ran down the 2 flashes and the captain. With 3 shield boosts, enhancement and Captain Carter giving one more shield boost for free I was able to oneshot Morgan and hurt Valeria. I had to prob with flash though which gave him a click. I lost the prob flash to an Iron man HSS attack. I TK’d out Sky Tyrant for a flurry but he missed both. Hank Pym really hosed me over there. Captain Carter had hit leadership prior so Kang was able to oneshot Demon in an Armor. I lost sky tyrant to iron man and my senses flash to Spider-Man. Kang got hit to senses and attacked again but missed senses and things started to get dire he had me locked down with echos and based Kang with Iron Man and Valeria and Pym, clearly intending to poison me to death. Kang was off move and attack as well. But my opponent got Greedy and took a swing on Kang with a Pym drone and Kang rolled a 6 and healed 3 clicks and that was loving huge as I healed back to my phasing. Captain Carter hit leadership, punched and KO’d Valeria. My Ms. Kang killed the senses on time gen Spider-Man and Kang phased out and shot Spider-Man. With carters enhancement and free shield activation that’s a oneshot Spider-Man. That was also time and that single turn swung the entire game in my favor. If my opponent hadn’t gotten greedy and gone for the KO with the drone I wouldn’t have been able to heal Kang and get spider man. Also Kang made 0 leadership rolls all game to make the council pogs.

I’ll take it.

Round 2 versus Excalibur

Black Knight Legacy figure
Rachael Grey with team up card that makes it not possible to target Excalibur pieces from more then 5 away
Saturnyne who can nudge a die roll + 1
Captain Avalon
Captain Britain Psylocke from Xos
SR Prime Mimic at lower value
Dazzler
Cloak of Levitation
A bunch of superfriends and sentinels on the sideline

Yeah this was against shitbird and honestly I’d say this was actually fairly tame for them.

I won map, stayed on the same map as last round

We did the equipment dance, I moved up my support since I was happy I’d actually be able to use all my prob this round. They put the cloak on the black knight and otherwise hung back and refused to engage. Then they pulled a tarot card that said when using charge figures get plus 2 speed. And Sky Tyrant loves that card. He charged all the way into the back line and killed Rachael Grey. Flash ran up and hit Dazzler to her last click and Black knight with an object. With my range not neutered Kang then shot Black knight to an earthbound 8 attack click. From there it was basically over, though they did manage to KO Captain Carter via an outwit and mimic flurry. Kang started hitting leaderships and his pigs were a big help. They lost everything except Saturnyne and conceded at that point.

Round 3 versus Soldier?

Non prime SR Captain Carter
Captain Marvel with hammer
US Agent
Baron Zemo
A psyblaster with ESD and toughness as a special defense?
A few more pieces I can’t remember.

This was a shutout. Kang was blasting, I tied him up with echos, smacked him with tyrant. Kang got hit once to senses but rolled a 6 to heal it all back. I didn’t make any pogs but I didn’t have to. Wiped his team and lost nothing.

I like Kang but honestly the real star was Captain Carter. She kept the heat off him, provided real good support and was a great secondary attacker.

Morand fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 16, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So they started previewing the new set with another Scott Porter unboxing and each booster in this new Batman Team Up set only has 4 figures and one object so far, which is certainly a choice when people have been questioning the value of boosters already. Honestly was always surprised they didn't put team up cards and legacy cards in way more packs, that'd at least help justify it without a massive extra cost. Going the other way and taking a whole figure out is just baffling, I don't think people are going to be happy about that.

Shame this is the only DC set we're getting as well, I like the core idea and I'm happy to see Teen Titans Go and Mystery Inc being made but I'd like a more normal set as well, preferably not focused on Batman and his villains. Just doesn't seem to be on the cards.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

thebardyspoon posted:

So they started previewing the new set with another Scott Porter unboxing and each booster in this new Batman Team Up set only has 4 figures and one object so far, which is certainly a choice when people have been questioning the value of boosters already. Honestly was always surprised they didn't put team up cards and legacy cards in way more packs, that'd at least help justify it without a massive extra cost. Going the other way and taking a whole figure out is just baffling, I don't think people are going to be happy about that.

Man. It looks like the cost of the license for D&D minis must have included all the remaining fucks they had to give about HeroClix's continued viability. When it comes to decisions, this certainly is one of them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I have no opinion on the matter, for diplomatic reasons.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

If these boosters cost what XOS did on top of taking away a figure? Holy poo poo that’s really going to annoy people. The amount of salt on some of the Facebook groups over this set is enough to need me to take heart medicine.

That said while the common Scooby is ridiculously overpowered for a Scooby, the common Scooby gang look pretty good so far. Scooby has shape change and if he hits it the gang gets toughness, Shaggy has senses that gives CR to the gang if he hits it and Fred can carry everyone and give an 18 for defense.

That’s some nice synergy from my commons and I want to see if we get other scooby’s in the set since there’s a common and chase Velma already.

Morand fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 14, 2022

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Double post but Scott Porters latest video confirms Ultra-Instinct Shaggy is in the play at home kit and frighteningly strong

Go have a look.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Morand posted:

Double post but Scott Porters latest video confirms Ultra-Instinct Shaggy is in the play at home kit and frighteningly strong

Go have a look.

Could you post pics here for us Facebook non-havers?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They actually made meme Shaggy as an LE?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Could you post pics here for us Facebook non-havers?

I am also a Facebook non haver. All Scott’s videos are on YouTube. Just look there.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

I am also a Facebook non haver. All Scott’s videos are on YouTube. Just look there.

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pM84k81Zw&t=1784s

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

In todays video we see the dial for the miniatures game, including 2 new mystery cards plus our first chase dial of Scrappy Doo who WILL gently caress your day up if you are a monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9ngfYW2KM

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Calling it now, venom mags will drop in price because of scrappy

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I must say, I do appreciate a game system in which Scrappy Doo could have legitimate cause to punch out a kaiju.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Yeah, I have to admit, phrases like 'Magneto's value will drop due to Scrappy-Doo' are one of the reasons I love this game.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I must say, I do appreciate a game system in which Scrappy Doo could have legitimate cause to punch out a kaiju.

Legitimate cause and opportunity. I should read Scooby Apocalypse or at least look up a summary. It's interesting to see The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo referenced.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just making Scrappy Doo a chase figure at all is top tier troll work, it's silly stuff like that or the Sportsmaster in the set that makes me love the game.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Apparently Amazon has been shipping orders early and people have BTU in hand and have been opening them.

Keep an eye on clixnexus, they tend to update units faster then the realms.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
how is a game where you can do this not insanely popular

i wonder if any of those are reused sculpts from toonclix. i had heard back in the day that they got pretty far into development on that one.

lmao they made wwe heroclix too

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

John Romero posted:

how is a game where you can do this not insanely popular
The marketing budget is zero dollars.

It's funny you mentioned WWE clix because, to the best I've been able to figure out, WizKids' thought process is "hey, we got the license for Popular Thing, we've done our part! Now the owners of Popular Thing will tell their fans all about it, and they'll come beating down our door, gosh better get ready for the influx of new players!!! *takes hacksaw to rules again*"

Meanwhile, what'd they get, one appearance on UUDD? Maybe not even that, I can't remember any more?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

The marketing budget is zero dollars.

It's funny you mentioned WWE clix because, to the best I've been able to figure out, WizKids' thought process is "hey, we got the license for Popular Thing, we've done our part! Now the owners of Popular Thing will tell their fans all about it, and they'll come beating down our door, gosh better get ready for the influx of new players!!! *takes hacksaw to rules again*"

Meanwhile, what'd they get, one appearance on UUDD? Maybe not even that, I can't remember any more?

So the marketing budget apparently goes to DND because Critical Role does do ads for wizkids, but specifically for their DND Minis.

Also I heard through the grapevine (very he said she said) that apparently WWEClix stopped because Vince McMahon was a lunatic and impossible to work with. It's why we will never see WWE wave 2 and WWE was retired before all their poo poo was even released.

And they were on UUDD once. It was adorable but by god they didn't play correctly at all.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's weird cause at one point Clix was reasonably popular. It was the 2nd or 3rd most popular miniatures game at one point I think and it was pretty well known in that sphere but it seemed to peak in the late 2000s, I remember Scott Porter talk about playing it on an episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway (admittedly in a segment where he had to talk about the nerdiest thing about himself that all the ladies don't know but still), I've heard Austin Walker on Waypoint and the McElroy brothers on one of their many podcasts talk about it a fair bit and I remember seeing a lot of ads for it in comics books of course. In those podcast cases though, it's nearly always with a sentence either before or after saying "yeah I don't think it's still going though" when someone has mentioned they used to play or collect it. So it's now been around long enough to have faded into the background unfortunately.

It was huge in the UK back in the day as well, there were like, 5 non gaming shops that sold it in my local town but over time that has dwindled as the economy and such has gotten worse, lot of those stores have closed with nothing replacing them. They're very much not at an impulse buy price point anymore of course anyway but just the exposure and visibility probably would help. The one gaming shop will order stuff if we ask but I tend to not buy bricks because I'd rather just get the characters I know I want to play frankly, we pay to play there and buy other board game stuff though so we do our bit in terms of supporting them.

I find the sculpts these days are lacking a bit imo, maybe I'm just having rose tinted glasses for the older sets but I feel like they used to be more dynamic, always in a fighting pose, pulling out a gun, holding a piece of scenery all smashed up or they'd use the clear plastic for energy beams/fields. These days you get so many characters just standing in the waiting for a bus pose.

Either way they seem firmly in a similar place Anime DVD peddlers in the late 90s/mid 00s were, they have a product that is niche and they're purely targetting the core market that seems perfectly willing to pay whatever prices year on year for the product with no attempt at expanding said market. Like making the starters go from a thing that cost £30 for 6 figures, the rules, dice and maps to these massive bloated £50/60 things with 10 figures and some cardboard map pieces, the rules and dice was a choice though. That definitely makes it harder to recommend to people who are interested.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 27, 2022

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i went into hcrealms to type in "connecticut" to see what happened to my local scene and it turns out the most active thread there is us politics

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

John Romero posted:

i went into hcrealms to type in "connecticut" to see what happened to my local scene and it turns out the most active thread there is us politics

Oof.

After COVID put a halt to organized play, a sizable chunk of our local player base simply didn't return when things tried to start back up. There's plenty of different and understandable reasons why (schedule changes, new hobbies, new budget, childcare), but I think we're down to two diehards and an occasional onlooker/walk-in. Games Workshop actively trying to undo the damage done during the Kirby years didn't help matters, either.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Our local scene was massive back in the day, there were like 20 players regularly and they hired a massive room above a postal sorting office to play in each week but then it came out that one of the dudes had been boning like..... 6 of the others guys girlfriends/wives behind their back (which is, organisationally at least, impressive tbh). Kinda blew the group up and I think one of the blokes who got cheated on was the guy who had been sorting out the discount on the room that made it reasonable to hire or something.

Then the hiatus in 2009 put the nail in the coffin of the group and then when the game came back the group didn't. Was just a little subgroup of 4 at the local game store after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

John Romero posted:

i went into hcrealms

That was your first mistake. The realms haven’t been relevant in a long time. They’ve got an absentee owner and such a lax moderation policy that wizkids washed their hands of them years ago. They don’t get any exclusive previews anymore and the community could at best be called extreme whiners.

Facebook groups and YouTube is where the players went. You could try searching the win for events in your area as well.

Father Wendigo posted:

Oof.

After COVID put a halt to organized play, a sizable chunk of our local player base simply didn't return when things tried to start back up. There's plenty of different and understandable reasons why (schedule changes, new hobbies, new budget, childcare), but I think we're down to two diehards and an occasional onlooker/walk-in. Games Workshop actively trying to undo the damage done during the Kirby years didn't help matters, either.

Yeah Covid kind of turbofucked our local group as well. We lost well over half the regulars as not playing for several months just kinda made them fall out of love with it, or their lives kinda collapsed over the pandemic and clix just understandably wasn't a priority anymore.

We've got 2 overcompetive players, me who can only go once a month at best because of kids, Andy who's burning out with the 2 overcompetitive players. One local who's been playing forever and is aggressively casual. He's retiring from work though so who knows if he'll keep playing. And one newish guy who shows up once in awhile and has apparently been buddying up with shitbird and picking up their bad habits.

And yet I still love this game and love playing it.

Morand fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 28, 2022