Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
From a few pages back, but to respond:

Cacafuego posted:

What will you be doing, if you don’t mind me asking? Don’t give us your company name or anything, but will you be doing paperwork for 8hrs/day M-F or will you be doing something hands-on or more physical?
Will your company be giving you a car, a rental or will you be using your own?
I started with a public insurance adjuster; folks who have major insurance losses hire us to help with the insurance process, and maximize their recovery. My job specifically is to go out to loss sites (homes, businesses) and physically document every single item inside (or whatever is left of them) so we can properly calculate losses. My job is 95% on-site documentation, and 5% paperwork.
I was originally driving a 1998 Isuzu Amigo (:v:), but that just died on me on the way back from a job (:suicide:), so I just bought a brand new Toyota Corolla (:toot:).

deong posted:

Will you be going to offices you work with, or client sites?
Entirely client loss sites, with the occasional company training or retreat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Agree not to count on having the energy to do meetup stuff but if you want to try it out go wild.
Unless you're BYOD I wouldn't bother with a gaming laptop personally. It's too much extra weight and space to carry along with your work laptop. I don't bother with trying to take any kind of gaming device and just bring a Kindle, but if you want to, a Steam Deck or Switch is a better choice.
My first week away I found a board game meetup one night, played DnD over Discord another night, and went to dinner with my coworker the last night. Any sort of meetup at a bar/pub becomes a lot easier when food and drinks are all on the company card. Maybe I should try to pay for some dates with the company card, or go to a dinner-and-a-show place.
Ideally, I'd like a powerful laptop that I can use for videos editing and game development while I'm away.

taco show posted:

Is this every week with no breaks? And is this the SAME location every week? If that's so, I'd honestly push for an extended stay hotel from a major hotel chain like Marriott, so a Residence Inn or Townplace Suites.
Also, $75 per diem is very, very low, especially if you are taking clients out. I would personally cause a huge stink about this.
It's a new loss every week or so, and I only need to worry about a hotel for locations that are ~2+ hours away.
The $75 covers daily food for myself, which I would probably struggle to spend every day, even if I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheGreyGhost posted:

Any preferences for going to Milan that people are aware of? I’m based out of LAX and am a delta flyer so trying to do this on one connection if I can and have the rare opportunity to book business on this.

Avoid Linate like the plague.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

TheGreyGhost posted:

January (I honestly can’t believe our client is having us out for this poo poo)

I’m used to a bunch of domestic at this point, but the code-sharing deals make it seem like my best bet is just to do this and hit the Delta on a single jump. Our travel policy is “business on anything over 6 hours” so I don’t mind leaving from a domestic airport for the long haul if it’s direct.

The good thing about that policy is all your flights will be business class, if there's one flight over 6 hours as part of a connection, which all international long hauls generally are.

My recommendation is Air France for the best long haul experience from LAX, but the CDG-MIL leg is gonna be crappy Eurobiz. They use the oneworld Business lounge at LAX which is kind of mediocre.

I'd also look at United via EWR as the domestic LAX EWR is a premium route with lie flat seats, and Polaris seats are comfortable and Polaris lounges are nice. American is also good with this same logic.

I would also avoid both Lufthansa and Swiss for their crappy seats, BA because gently caress Heathrow.

sellouts posted:

Delta via jfk. 767 on all legs

I absolutely hate Delta 767's. I'm not sure if they're even all refurbished with the new product yet because I've had their old crappy seats which are very tight and uncomfortable both on LAX JFK as well as LAX HNL.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That sucks. I’ve had decent experiences but was probably on -400s now that I think about it.

I think I’d still take it over a cdg connection and eurobiz. I also really don’t care about AF biz but it’s all kind of the same

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

I absolutely hate Delta 767's. I'm not sure if they're even all refurbished with the new product yet because I've had their old crappy seats which are very tight and uncomfortable both on LAX JFK as well as LAX HNL.

I think they are banking on the A339s and A321neos as replacements for them; at least, I remember reading somewhere the A321neo was going to step into their transcon routes... but feels like you have to maintain some kind of wide-body option for LAX/JFK?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

I think they are banking on the A339s and A321neos as replacements for them; at least, I remember reading somewhere the A321neo was going to step into their transcon routes... but feels like you have to maintain some kind of wide-body option for LAX/JFK?

Not if you want to base your competition on frequency. Run the A321neo every 20 minutes or whatever. I imagine that will still be an uphill against UA and AA who offer flat beds. The A321neo is really nice and comfortable in F, but it isn't a flat bed to be sure.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, hello thread, did not know this existed. Already see a lot of familiar faces in here

What's the best (not fastest, 8 hour layover) way to get from LGA to JFK on a Sunday

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Easiest is going to be a car service. If you're trying to save money, Q70 SBS bus to Jackson - Roosevelt > E Train to Sutphin - Archer - JFK > Airtrain

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

Oh, hello thread, did not know this existed. Already see a lot of familiar faces in here

What's the best (not fastest, 8 hour layover) way to get from LGA to JFK on a Sunday

Uber/Lyft.

Also welcome to our little section of the sixth concentric circle of hell. :wave:

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 25, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone try the online passport renewal yet?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Best is subjective and also budget dependent. If you really want to, you can take a helicopter.

Depending on your luggage though, I'd probably just Uber somewhere worth killing 5-6 hours in Queens.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

movax posted:

You have to maintain both: people are willing to pay for lie-flat seats, as well as their preferred frequency.

Some non-public info which I cannot say much more about : UA is bringing in lie-flat seats on the 7 MAX -10s.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I had a question about traveling for work, with regards to getting auto insurance. I just bought a new car, a 2023 Toyota Corolla, which I need to get insured. If I use my vehicle for business trips and to travel to work locations, how should I handle that? I will be putting a lot of miles onto this vehicle (potentially 20k per year), and traveling all around the state. If I am only using my vehicle to travel to work locations, but not to haul anything, transport people, meet clients, or anything else, is that something that needs to be disclosed to my insurance? Will that effect my insurance costs at all?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

literally this big posted:

I had a question about traveling for work, with regards to getting auto insurance. I just bought a new car, a 2023 Toyota Corolla, which I need to get insured. If I use my vehicle for business trips and to travel to work locations, how should I handle that? I will be putting a lot of miles onto this vehicle (potentially 20k per year), and traveling all around the state. If I am only using my vehicle to travel to work locations, but not to haul anything, transport people, meet clients, or anything else, is that something that needs to be disclosed to my insurance? Will that effect my insurance costs at all?

Tell your insurance agent that you will use the car primarily for business, approximate mileage, and what your private use is and they'll quote you accordingly. I would expect the premium to be higher commensurate with the additional risk of how much you're going to be driving. Note that this is different than commercial insurance where you use the car to directly generate income by hauling things, transporting people, etc. Your company may have a policy that covers you when you're traveling for business, but you should check with them and get any details on it if they carry a policy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Beef Of Ages posted:

Tell your insurance agent that you will use the car primarily for business, approximate mileage, and what your private use is and they'll quote you accordingly. I would expect the premium to be higher commensurate with the additional risk of how much you're going to be driving. Note that this is different than commercial insurance where you use the car to directly generate income by hauling things, transporting people, etc. Your company may have a policy that covers you when you're traveling for business, but you should check with them and get any details on it if they carry a policy.

If he's only commuting then he's not using the vehicle for business. Commuting is basically personal use of a vehicle. Saying to an insurance company that you use a vehicle for business may end up with you being quoted an expensive commercial rider or cancelled coverage. The answer is that the type of use of the car described in the post would not change any coverage, typically. But, always best to confirm (in writing if it's an important sticking point).

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 27, 2022

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I believe if you aren’t driving to your home/official/whatever office that it would be considered work travel and you should check with your company about their auto insurance policy and reimbursement for travel to work sites.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lyon posted:

I believe if you aren’t driving to your home/official/whatever office that it would be considered work travel and you should check with your company about their auto insurance policy and reimbursement for travel to work sites.

Yes that's a good point, gets murky defining a commute vs. 'driving to work sites', and for all I know that differs by state. Wouldn't want to give an an Internet Correct answer then have you fully liable for a loss later.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Insurance thread may also be helpful.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hopefully nobody is stuck in this big mess, but Southwest is in full meltdown.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Midjack posted:

Insurance thread may also be helpful.

I asked there a few days ago and nobody's responded yet, it's a relatively slow thread. So I'm wondering about the perspective and experience of everyone here, since many of you are probably in similar situations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

I was stuck in Alaska's big Seattle meltdown before Christmas but escaped through United. Then flew American today.

https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1607557279980875777

DOT might wag fingers!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Small White Dragon posted:

We have three family members flying southwest out of denver this week.

Lol

One got out today, albeit delayed by 4 hours.
Another’s flight got canceled and moved to Thursday.
Third is TBD on Wednesday.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/usdot/status/1607558478859759616

Sounds like there might be some teeth but the most they could do is just designate the cancellations as controllable—meaning reimbursement for hotels and food.

Southwest literally cannot book anyone onto other carriers because of their snowflake IT system so at best that's all the DOT can force, other than fines.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
This Southwest meltdown is nuts. Looks like they're gonna park the entire fleet tomorrow and an operational reset.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What's the cause?
Random bar patron told me baggage handler strike? But I've not seen anything.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

deong posted:

What's the cause?
Random bar patron told me baggage handler strike? But I've not seen anything.

Seems to be pretty well covered up, some of it is 'technical issues'. I imagine the most public statement we might get about root causes in the future may be from DOT.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

It's Southwest not having real software to do crew scheduling, their ridiculous point-to-point network and rostering, and their intentional lack of airline partnerships.

Weather disruptions are normal, but Southwest can't recover because like I previously mentioned, they consider themselves a snowflake.

They still can't even fly any redeye flights because their software doesn't allow it. There's not a single Southwest redeye because of this. The airline is absolutely insane and I truly don't understand their following.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This reddit post claims to be by a SWA employee: https://www.reddit.com/r/SouthwestAirlines/comments/zw32yt/psa_from_a_swa_employee_since_the_company_wont/

someone about to be fired posted:

PSA from a SWA employee since the company won’t give any info
On behalf of all employees: WE ARE SORRY! I will give it to you straight- this meltdown was caused entirely by Southwest. It was triggered by the storm, but the failure to recover quickly is on Southwest 100%. If you are still hearing “weather” almost a week after the storm, it’s not true.

Couple main points:

Please be patient with us. We desperately want to do everything we can to get you where you’re going.
This shitstorm is because the crew scheduling software went belly up and it almost all has to be unraveled over the phone with crew members calling scheduling. If we had better technology which eliminated the need for phone calls, this would have been fixed by now.
If you are able to find alternative transportation to your final destination- DO IT. Another airline, bus, train, Lyft, rental car, ANYTHING. Southwest WILL NOT be able to get you to your destination anytime in the next few days.
Like I said, it’s gonna take at least a week to get back to normal operations for Southwest.
Don’t check your bags unless you absolutely need to, take them as carry-on.
If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them.

EDIT FOR FAQs——

Checked bags are currently a disaster. Plan to not see your checked luggage for at least a month. In the interest of 100% transparency, some bags will be 30+ days lost in the system.
Will my flight for X date go out? Next 3 days- plan on a cancellation. 4-7 days- likely to go as scheduled. 7+ days- should see operational recovery.
UPDATE FROM SOUTHWEST 12/27

If you have been impacted by a flight cancellation or significant flight delay between December 24, 2022, and January 2, 2023, you may submit receipts for consideration. We will honor reasonable requests for reimbursement for meals, hotel, and alternate transportation.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/travel-disruption

https://support.southwest.com/email-us/s/

Again, It is highly advisable to find alternative transportation and submit it for reimbursement.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 27, 2022

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

i fly airplanes posted:

It's Southwest not having real software to do crew scheduling, their ridiculous point-to-point network and rostering, and their intentional lack of airline partnerships.

Weather disruptions are normal, but Southwest can't recover because like I previously mentioned, they consider themselves a snowflake.

They still can't even fly any redeye flights because their software doesn't allow it. There's not a single Southwest redeye because of this. The airline is absolutely insane and I truly don't understand their following.

They built up so much goodwill and have been riding off of that since. I didn't realize how bad they've gotten until today.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

They still can't even fly any redeye flights because their software doesn't allow it. There's not a single Southwest redeye because of this.

How is this possible?

I figured it was some family friendly bullshit

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

keevo posted:

They built up so much goodwill and have been riding off of that since. I didn't realize how bad they've gotten until today.

It's been more important to make numbers for the Street than to invest in a quality airline for a number of years now. This, combined with a culture that tells them they're the best despite objective proof of it not being true, has a natural outcome that we're now seeing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

sellouts posted:

How is this possible?

I figured it was some family friendly bullshit

I’d guess that having no red-eyes makes crew scheduling easier.

Also a red-eye needs to be a long flight to avoid landing at 4 AM or taking off at 1 AM and Southwest tends to not have long flights.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

smackfu posted:

Also a red-eye needs to be a long flight to avoid landing at 4 AM or taking off at 1 AM and Southwest tends to not have long flights.

It was more rhetorical but sure, yes. But to have none due to software is the unexpected part to me. All of that being said, American offers several mid cons. The lax to dfw red eye was a big part of my very early travel days and it was absolutely the worst.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

Plan to not see your checked luggage for at least a month.

This seems a bit silly and makes me doubt that whole post.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smackfu posted:

This seems a bit silly and makes me doubt that whole post.

Did you see the poo poo at LHR and AMS this summer?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

We have three family members flying southwest out of denver this week.

Lol

One got out today, albeit delayed by 4 hours.
Another’s flight got canceled and moved to Thursday.
Third is TBD on Wednesday.

Lol Wednesday’s canceled this morning. Family is 0/3, although there’s still time to cancel Thursday’s rescheduled flight!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do never fly WN

i have never understood the appeal

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do never fly WN

You get to pick your seat AND your snack when you get on the plane, 13/10 will only fly them forever if you're twelve and those are big drivers of your behavior.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do never fly WN

Presumably it’s because they’re the ones paying for the ticket and 95%? of leisure travelers shop primarily on price/connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They also have weird direct flights that make sense for my elderly parent; but yeah otherwise no.