Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Read After Burning posted:

One of my partner and I's biggest disagreements is over head-bob in first person games: he CAN'T STAND it, whereas I weirdly leave it on for some reason. No idea why! :ohdear: I think it's tricked me into feeling more immersive?

It can be immersive, especially if the game also simulates your body in other ways. If you're just a camera on wheels, it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Philippe posted:

It can be immersive, especially if the game also simulates your body in other ways. If you're just a camera on wheels, it doesn't work.

I misread that as "stimulates" multiple times and was confused, but also a little :hmmyes:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Hygiene posted:

I misread that as "stimulates" multiple times and was confused, but also a little :hmmyes:

There's games for that kind of head bobbing, too.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've always said that the Rez Trance Vibrator was grossly underutilized.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CordlessPen posted:

I've always said that the Rez Trance Vibrator was grossly underutilized.

Thankfully Buttplug.io has you covered for modern integration of video games and sex toys.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hel posted:

Thankfully Buttplug.io has you covered for modern integration of video games and sex toys.

I've heard it can be utilized for traditional games as well, like chess!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Philippe posted:

Amulets and armor had two devs arguing about head height, which compromised on headbobbing between their two opinions.

One was 6'6 and the other was 5'6, so the bobbinf was very violent

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally it goes down to 10% or less in every game now. Killzone was the game that broke headbob forever for me. I was part of an LP of pretty much the whole series and they never change one specific thing about it: Your dude is stomach height.

In case you are wondering, in cutscenes he's as tall as a man, not a dwarf. Speculation is that it's supposed to be intentionally at bodycam height because Sevchenko doesn't wear a helmet. But that makes the game so very miserable to watch. Playing it? Fine. Watching it? I got seasick watching the sprinting and mantling in Shadow Fall sometimes. :v:

edit: The real reason is it's easier to aim your gun at enemies the lower your view is. See HALO and Borderlands making the crosshair lower than center-screen to force players to look up, having the knock-on effect of showing them more of the world.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Dec 25, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

edit: The real reason is it's easier to aim your gun at enemies the lower your view is. See HALO and Borderlands making the crosshair lower than center-screen to force players to look up, having the knock-on effect of showing them more of the world.

People keep saying this but IMO it's the opposite, a lower crosshair just means I'm constantly looking at the sky because it has to tilt so far to headshot people or arc grenades, in fact one of the neat things in Goldeneye Rogue Agent is that it put the aimpoint higher than normal and it felt so much better because you could still see other enemies when doing head shots and grenades, it even made flying enemies less annoying because you could still see your surroundings when shooting at them. It also made it natural to shoot over cover.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Broke out Splatoon 3 for the first time in a while, and I'd forgotten about the new system where you aim and launch yourself onto the battle map at the start of matches and after respawns. It's fine in theory, it adds a bit of interest, but could they not have fixed it so you can't bounce off the edge and fall to your death if you bump the controls by mistake on some maps? That's nothing but a useless time waster.

And the other weird thing that whole setup introduces, there's no shielded spawn point on the maps any more, so for maps where you can get to the enemy's starting point you can just hang out there and wait for them to jump in before they're even able to use weapons or anything. It's one of those weird Nintendo decisions where they center this entire game around making a shooter that accommodates a wider range of skill levels having casual fun, then they do the occasional design choice like this that goes exactly opposite to that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you have armor for several seconds after jumping in at spawn. maybe it’s breakable but I personally never got the chance to find out

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I believe it is, I've been killed pretty quick there when we got into a wipeout scenario where there was no longer anywhere else to jump to, anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
would be nice if you could have the option to download only the single or multiplayer sides of a game if you're not planning on using one half of them

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ilmucche posted:

would be nice if you could have the option to download only the single or multiplayer sides of a game if you're not planning on using one half of them

I swear like 70% of Doom (2016)'s file size is the multiplayer poo poo that no one played and no one wanted in the first place. Snapmap at least made sense as an idea, given mods and player maps are why original Doom still thrives, but in execution it sucked, too.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I love Destiny 2, but gently caress me I can never tell anyone else to play it knowing how garbage the earlygame is rn. I hope Bungie at some point takes the time to do a fixer-upper on it, even if it wouldn't necessarily benefit me.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
What, you don’t like slowly stumbling around as Peter Dinklage barely phones in as a lame rear end robot?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Crowetron posted:

I swear like 70% of Doom (2016)'s file size is the multiplayer poo poo that no one played and no one wanted in the first place. Snapmap at least made sense as an idea, given mods and player maps are why original Doom still thrives, but in execution it sucked, too.

Can confirm.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

arsenicCatnip posted:

I love Destiny 2, but gently caress me I can never tell anyone else to play it knowing how garbage the earlygame is rn. I hope Bungie at some point takes the time to do a fixer-upper on it, even if it wouldn't necessarily benefit me.

:psyduck: but this is the fixed version of early game.

Like, at some point people just gotta accept that destiny 2 is a bad game and bungie are bad at making this game not bad. Because every facet of it is bad.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

Supposedly (huge grain of salt there), Bungie's reworking the earlygame/new player parts after Lightfall.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Excellent. Now I just have to figure out which of the 50 different combinations of DLC packs offers the best value and also which content will be available for the longest time before it gets removed from the game

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

Croccers posted:

Hold on...
Is there no super grognardy coffee shop/barista simulation game yet...?

Coffee Shop Tycoon just released on Steam about a week ago. Not sure if it fits the billfpr what youre looking for exactly

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Excellent. Now I just have to figure out which of the 50 different combinations of DLC packs offers the best value and also which content will be available for the longest time before it gets removed from the game

Good news on that front too, Bungie has said that they're not vaulting expansions anymore. Seasons are available between expansions (so all seasons that came out with/after Witch Queen are available until Lightfall, then those seasons become unavailable and the ones from Lightfall to Final Shape follow the same pattern), and it sounds like they're working towards Final Shape being almost a reboot of the game with light levels going away, etc.

They REALLY need to do a better job of telling a new player what they need to buy. It's the Legacy Collection + Witch Queen, but they make it nearly impossible to figure that out. I mean, gently caress, i've played for years on PC and when I wanted to buy it for Xbox, figuring out what I needed to buy took a while.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Played more of Fresh Start Cleaning Simulator since they added more content into it. Basic thing to know: you use a tool that can shoot out a stream of water or suck up (trash that you recycle into experience points/water to refill your supply).
There's a skill you can unlock which is a little robot that shoots streams of water at targets in its range; one would think you could just leave it in a spot to help you clear a map faster while you manually clean elsewhere. Unfortunately, the streams often don't target stuff like trees well (aiming at their roots, which usually means the stream hits the level geometry and does nothing useful), or it aims for a target behind an obstacle, again doing nothing useful. You'll have to reposition it to really get good use out of it, but at that point you might as well just clean up using your tool's water beam.
Also, in the full release, the skill trees have their final skills implemented; one is "press button to launch a wave forward which instantly waters plants to full and clears debris piles" and another is "press button to create a cyclone that sucks trash to you in your vicinity". The bad thing is, both skills are activated with the same button. The former one is way more useful, but if it's ready first and then the second becomes ready, the cyclone skill launches and you have to build up the first skill a little bit again. Oh, and there's no key rebinding.
I picked it up because i loved Powerwash Simulator and have come to realize i really gel with games like that, but it's not as satisfying.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

moosecow333 posted:

What, you don’t like slowly stumbling around as Peter Dinklage barely phones in as a lame rear end robot?

dinklage hasn't been in destiny for 7 of the 8 years the series has been out

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Good news on that front too, Bungie has said that they're not vaulting expansions anymore. Seasons are available between expansions (so all seasons that came out with/after Witch Queen are available until Lightfall, then those seasons become unavailable and the ones from Lightfall to Final Shape follow the same pattern), and it sounds like they're working towards Final Shape being almost a reboot of the game with light levels going away, etc.

They REALLY need to do a better job of telling a new player what they need to buy. It's the Legacy Collection + Witch Queen, but they make it nearly impossible to figure that out. I mean, gently caress, i've played for years on PC and when I wanted to buy it for Xbox, figuring out what I needed to buy took a while.
Are you telling me that it is currently possible to pay money for expansions for Destiny 2 that all the content for is just... turned off?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

They deleted Dinklage and replaced him with Nolan North when they realised they would have to get him back for DLC, so he's gone entirely now!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Splicer posted:

Are you telling me that it is currently possible to pay money for expansions for Destiny 2 that all the content for is just... turned off?

You can't pay money now for stuff that is gone but they did remove poo poo that people had paid money for in the past.

The entire base campaign/story for Destiny 2 isn't in the game anymore and two or three of the planets are gone as locations you can go to, then the first year of DLC is gone as well so that's two more locations inaccessible and then I think half of the first big expansion has been removed as well so that's another location gone.

So like, if you bought Destiny 2, the first year of content and the Forsaken expansion and then stopped playing in late 2018 and then come back, basically most of the stuff you'll remember is not in the game at all anymore. They've even removed some of the multiplayer maps that were set in those locations so the Gambit mode only has like, 6 maps when I'm pretty sure it used to have way more.

It's pretty nuts they didn't get more blowback for that, obviously MMOs like WoW or whatever have locations/expansions become deprecated in value as the locations are no longer the max level area so you're disincetivised to hang out there but they very rarely wholesale remove the entire location and stop you going there.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Trying out My Time at Sandrock as a kind of chill no-brain farming/etc game during the vacation, and other than the normal '50 billion items from the getgo' these games can suffer from, I'm kinda annoyed at the character designs.

I was always a bit put off by going after bachelors (the rare times it's possible) in Harvestmoon-likes when they look like kids, but in Sandrock there's a bit of an opposite issue.
Where your character pretty much regardless looks like a kid, while a number of the bachelors actually look more like adults. It just makes scenes with them feel skeevy.
I just really wish I could pop out and replace my character model, or just scale it up a bit so that I don't look like a 12-year old going after young-to-middle aged adult guys.

I also tried out Coral Isle which seems promising, but that game was dragged down by there being so many 'THIS CONTENT ISN'T DONE.' 'THIS STORE WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 1.0' that it felt pointless playing it.
But that's on me for grabbing an early access title. I am glad there's a lot of 'stardew-valley-likes' games coming out, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

6 maps was the most gambit ever had, now it has 4 lol

I think the most incredible thing about bungie literally deleting half of the game is that it somehow wasn’t the worst thing for it that they did that day. it’s a game where many of its players hate it even as they continue playing it, but absolutely no one hates it as much as its own developer. They are comically disrespectful to their own product.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

6 maps was the most gambit ever had, now it has 4 lol

Huh, so it did, I thought I remembered way more. That's weird, what even is a memory. Well the rest of my thing was accurate at least.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

It's pretty nuts they didn't get more blowback for that, obviously MMOs like WoW or whatever have locations/expansions become deprecated in value as the locations are no longer the max level area so you're disincetivised to hang out there but they very rarely wholesale remove the entire location and stop you going there.
It really is. Most gaming websites had an article saying it's poo poo, then went right back to cater to all the FOMO addicted idiots who keep this game running with "how to get this seasons OP gear" articles.

It's absolutely ridiculous that "you paid for the base campaign and the first expansion but if you return now you have nothing to show for it except for free player status" is somehow acceptable.

Also the OG campaign was weird but still somewhat coherent and fun :colbert:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There are no Destiny fans.

There are only Destiny apologists.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I remember getting destiny 2 early on, playing for about 3 hours, liking the time I spent since my friend was a huge lore nerd who liked to fill in the weird story gaps, then shelving it to come back later when I had more time to play an MMO. all of that is gone now apparently lmao

can't even play the game I bought!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

SubNat posted:

But that's on me for grabbing an early access title. I am glad there's a lot of 'stardew-valley-likes' games coming out, though.

Harvest Moon 64 and the two Gamecube games were my obsession growing up...if you had told me then that in ~15 years there would end up being way too many "anime farming games" for me to ever actually play in my lifetime, I would have laughed in your face. :allears:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I know it took up dozens of pages a while back but...

Aloy shut the gently caress up please

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a great game, but you spend at least a quarter of your time bending down to pick up stuff you'll never use.

The Witcher figured this out years ago: just don't do the animation.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I saw a review for harvestella complain that gathering items just instantly puts them in your inventory with no animation and had a lol that were expressing this advertisement for the game as a negative.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't mind the pickup animation in Red Dead 2, because that game is about cowboy immersion, but in Horizon it just feels off.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

It's a great game, but you spend at least a quarter of your time bending down to pick up stuff you'll never use.

The Witcher figured this out years ago: just don't do the animation.

Also recognize that the player will pickup everything, so instead of just picking up one thing just grab everything within a ~10 m radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Philippe posted:

I don't mind the pickup animation in Red Dead 2, because that game is about cowboy immersion, but in Horizon it just feels off.

There's an option to turn off all pickup animations.