Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe posted:

ive become golf cart pilled. a future of trollies, trains, bikes, and golf carts for the edge case ppl.... golf.. cart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

golf carts rule very fun to be dangerous in

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
RIP GNARKILL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D7IAvRAXng

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I much rather idiots bring idiots in electric cars than Teslas. I guess you could fit golf carts in a multiple modal model, but yeah you also been walkability/public transit/biking etc. Granted, I guess you could have enclosed golf carts with very basic heaters in certain parts of the country.

Basically anytime but cars, also I much rather middle-aged people going 10 mile per hour in bike lanes than the alternative. They aren’t suppose to be race tracks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how prevalent this is in other countries, but one of the evolutions of the ride-share app in the Philippines, beyond Uber / Lyft*, has been ride-sharing of motorcycles

that is, you book it like you would an Uber, but you ride in the back of a motorcycle - part of the sales pitch is that this is even faster than taking an Uber because you get all the little swerves and scooching around traffic that a motorcycle affords, but the underlying economic angle is that there just aren't enough people driving car ride-shares to keep up with the demand, especially after 2020-2021 jumbled up traffic and public transportation, and then now that everything has opened back up in 2022

as a final bit of context, even well before "ride-sharing" became a thing, there is a practice in the Philippines called "habal-habal", which literally translates to "for hire" - this was the practice of motorcycle drivers waiting along busy spots in the metro, such as outside of malls, or right outside of churches on Sundays, or even certain locations in rural areas that don't have any other access to transportation, and arranging one-to-one deals with people to drive them to wherever they were going. It was considered different from any other kind of public transportation, such as passenger jeepneys or even tricycles, because even tricycles have organized terminals and fare rates and driver unions, whereas "habal-habal" was called such because it was a fly-by-night operation

anyway, traffic has been cataclysmically bad this holiday season, primarily because this has been the first Christmas with most of the COVID [mobility] restrictions lifted, and one of the things I've noticed people are complaining about more and more is the return of "habal-habal"

specifically, the motorcyclists are turning off their ride-sharing app, and then hanging around outside of a mall, and then contracting one-on-one with people trying to get home, with a fare charged only by the driver themselves - usually at a significant mark-up over what the app will ask of the customer (and with the driver getting to keep 100% of it)

and this "works", because there are so many people needing a ride, from a known location, that the app is no longer necessary to link a commuter to a driver - the driver simply goes to where he knows lots of people are, and those people are then so desperate to get out that they take the deal

the public then complains about the drivers engaging in this behavior, which I can understand, but it's also fascinating from a certain perspective because it represents a multi-factorial breakdown: the ride-sharing services invented themselves specifically to exist outside of the reach of government regulation, and even go so far as to include "flexibility" in their pitch to prospective drivers, ergo, it's an app that you can turn on-and-off at-will so that you can simply "drive on the side", but now that the drivers are actually making use of the lack of obligation to work straight shifts of driving, that this is then considered unreasonable

indeed, these drivers are often wearing company-branded shirts and helmets in order to distinguish themselves as working for/under that company, in much the same way that your water company will tell you to only let the people wearing water company uniforms to enter your home, which gives commuters a certain impression, but in fact they're still under the "independent contractor" framework pioneered by Uber / Lyft

___

* to be clear, Uber left the Philippines entirely around 2019, and there's just one ride-sharing firm left here, "Grab", which originated in Malaysia and has since expanded to most of Southeast Asia. When I say "take an Uber", I'm actually referring to booking a ride on the Grab app, but I'm using the verb form since I know we still understand each other.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
what makes the car industry so uniquely scummy? at every step along the chain from dealerships to mechanics to insurance. i can't think of any other good that's such a massive headache from the consumer point of view

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

loving bike lane!!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol saw this on r/fuckcars
https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1608056944501178368?s=20&t=euQqw5FmPScfZ66RS14OlQ

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought of a clever anti-car pun but forgot it so instead you get this "joke" *in James Bond voice*:

I have a license... to kill.

flashes driver's license

it's also an expired leaner's permit

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/intelpointalert/status/1607505028301963267

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

american dream mall lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

so many levels at work here

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

american dream mall lmao
I mean it basically does sound like they're living the american dream so yeah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mystes posted:

I mean it basically does sound like they're living the american dream so yeah

to get to LIVE at THE MALL? what could be better!!!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is this a case for our old friend carbon monoxide, aka terminal car poisoning?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
trapped in the american dream lmao :allears:

Unrelated, https://social.notjustbikes.com/@notjustbikes/109587218055759096

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ the FSD development team not being able to find any snowbanks for testing in Palo Alto or Austin.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
buying a car with a big button labelled "BREAK THE LAW"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Petanque posted:

buying a car with a big button labelled "BREAK THE LAW"

People used to have to go to police academies to do this.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

lmao. the description of Mastodon as the linux of Social Networks is not wrong!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the entire concept of FSD is so crazy but even crazier than the fact it exists and there's no standards about any of it's implementation -- is that the government didn't set even a most basic rule like, if you use this you will be limited to 75% of the current speed limit.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
While walking home yesterday I passed by a knocked down brick wall. The tire tracks in the grass clearly show a car rammed the wall, but I'm baffled by how it even happened. It's a straight street running next along the rail road tracks. There's nothing on that stretch of asphalt. No sidewalk, no parking, no driveways. It's a straight road with a dozen feet of grass until the brick wall on one side.

Never underestimate how lovely car drivers can be.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Won't embed but it's worth clicking through. Ad for Ontario's new public transit system

https://vimeo.com/779923395

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

While walking home yesterday I passed by a knocked down brick wall. The tire tracks in the grass clearly show a car rammed the wall, but I'm baffled by how it even happened. It's a straight street running next along the rail road tracks. There's nothing on that stretch of asphalt. No sidewalk, no parking, no driveways. It's a straight road with a dozen feet of grass until the brick wall on one side.

Never underestimate how lovely car drivers can be.

I did not save this picture, but it was car sticking out of the second story of a house, and the house was in this empty grass field with only two tracks that just stopped half way there. No ramp, no tree, no real change in the typography of the land.

It's like the car jumped.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

bikers where I live are refusing to use the new bike lines that the local council installed because they are used to riding 3 to 4 abreast and they think it's unfair that they are expected to ride in single file

I'mma need to see some documentation on this one

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Went for a walk to pick up donuts this morning and had an SUV driver nearly hit me in the crosswalk at a 4-way stop because they either were too loving negligent to spot a pedestrian on a clear day or they wanted to give me a scare for daring to prevent them from rolling through the sign.

Really wish this didn't happen at least once a month.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Cugel the Clever posted:

Really wish this didn't happen at least once a month.

You'd think you'd learn by now.

Learn to carry ninja rocks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wouldn't this get you arrested or shot though?

Apr 7, 2003

I had an off-duty cop try to start a fight with me because I crossed in front of his car while it was stopped at a sign, I certainly wouldn't be hucking rocks at cars just because everyone is insane.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CSPAM is never going to beat the playtime is OVER allegations

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Strange crashes could be stupid stunts gone wrong, but they just make me think how cool it is that people with conditions like epilepsy that can cause spontaneous blackouts still drive (legally or otherwise).

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Apr 7, 2003

since the pandemic started I've been driving my wife to the office, maybe a 2 mile round trip through a tunnel and over a bridge, occasionally. Prior to this I haven't had to drive during the morning commute since early 2012.

People seem absolutely insane now compared to the last time I had to do this. Just this morning in that short drive I saw one driver take a left on red with oncoming traffic, another take a right on red with oncoming 50mph traffic. People absolutely do not give a gently caress anymore behind the wheel.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Why is she taking a car 2 miles though? That's optimal bike distance.

Apr 7, 2003

BonHair posted:

Why is she taking a car 2 miles though? That's optimal bike distance.

I don't know, looks safe for cycling to me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no bus? failed city

Apr 7, 2003

We're a block from a light rail station, I am not putting my wife on a train during a pandemic with zero mitigation measures still in place.

Why people who no longer give a poo poo about getting sick over and over are choosing to drive that route over taking the T is beyond me.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think I see a generous and roomy US-style bike lane on the left in that second picture

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wear a mask dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wear a mask dingus

I'm not putting my wife on a packed train with nobody else masking, whether she's masked or not.