Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

What’s the housing for reservists like at Meade? I’m feeling the itch to mobilize or long term orders again.

There is the on base fake IHG hotel.

I'm not sure where they normally put reservists up honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

There is the on base fake IHG hotel.

I'm not sure where they normally put reservists up honestly

There’s usually some long term orders for that area floating around. I may take a second look for stuff starting in October.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Nautilus always had lovely coffee for me. Go here. It's still open since I moved away.

https://www.grumpscafe.com/

I didn't go to get coffee because I don't drink coffee.

I go because it's nearly 3am and they have a 10 page full menu with huge huge serving sizes.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Oh God. It just never crossed my mind that someone who posts in the Navy thread wouldn't drink coffee.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
A more accurate backstory for a villian of a Clancy novel right there

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Oh God. It just never crossed my mind that someone who posts in the Navy thread wouldn't drink coffee.

I can't imagine someone who is/was in the Navy who doesn't drink coffee. The fleet literally runs on the poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yeah sounds pretty suspect if you ask me.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vriess posted:

I lived in south Odenton and didn't have any issue going thr backroad to Waaaaaagh Chapel or Crofton for late night eats at the Nautilus.

LPO lived in Columbia before moving to Glen Burnie.

Other dude lived in Ellicott city until it turned to Atlantis. Then he moved to Tampa last year and that went underwater.

For those that don't get the Elicott City joke (they are working on it) :

https://time.com/5293180/ellicott-city-flooding/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

orange juche posted:

I can't imagine someone who is/was in the Navy who doesn't drink coffee. The fleet literally runs on the poo poo.

Last night the host of the christmas dinner my gf and I were at was making cafecito. I asked for mine black. That powerful bitter taste immediately took me back to midwatch and coffee that had been on the wardroom burner since maybe lunch. Everyone else who tried it thought I was insane. My partner no longer thinks I have taste buds.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

orange juche posted:

Lol how long has it been since any of you have been underway? Kids these days rarely drink coffee it's all monsters and other weird energy drinks onboard. Seems like it's only the olds like me who still drink coffee anyone onboard ship.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Younger sailors have always drank that sugary poo poo. Coffee is generally an e-5+ drink.

I know on deployment I’d supplement coffee with rip-its when we’d get them from the platform.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Last night the host of the christmas dinner my gf and I were at was making cafecito. I asked for mine black. That powerful bitter taste immediately took me back to midwatch and coffee that had been on the wardroom burner since maybe lunch. Everyone else who tried it thought I was insane. My partner no longer thinks I have taste buds.

I don't even know what you are doing if you don't show up for midwatch with fresh beans and a grinder.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

I never did. That was one foul aspect of the fleet I was able to avoid. Every once in a while I'd slam a Coke before a midwatch if I really needed it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I do blame the Navy for my ability to crush 280mg+ caffeinated drinks and still fall asleep

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Greenside in the field properly made coffee wasn't always an option since you're like, in a humvee or literally in the dirt, so I just kept a bag of instant and a spoon with me and made the coffee in my mouth

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah but you found Cafecito outside of the greater Miami area. So really you won Christmas

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Laranzu posted:

I do blame the Navy for my ability to crush 280mg+ caffeinated drinks and still fall asleep

This is an honest question, not smartassery: Have you ever been tested for ADHD? That's a pretty common thing since caffeine can have a very different effect than on people without it. Lots of ADHD folks self-medicate with shitloads of caffeine in one form or another before they're diagnosed because it has a similar effect to the meds that get prescribed.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I have a couple friends who go the caffeine route to deal with their ADHD versus using meds and that's exactly what happens, they just respond like they took their stimulant meds or whatever. Meanwhile, if I have too much caffeine I get fidgety, agitated, can't totally focus and all that fun stuff but adderall calms me down and gets me level and a recent increase in dose just makes me MORE sedate and hungry.

Brains are weird, definitely get evaluated for ADHD if the symptoms are present. poo poo is no joke, my brain is like 1000000000x better off since getting on the right meds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nystral posted:

Yeah but you found Cafecito outside of the greater Miami area. So really you won Christmas

She makes really good stuff. Every single time I've been to her house for dinner she's made us cafecito so I'm always happy to go.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

maffew buildings posted:

I have a couple friends who go the caffeine route to deal with their ADHD versus using meds and that's exactly what happens, they just respond like they took their stimulant meds or whatever. Meanwhile, if I have too much caffeine I get fidgety, agitated, can't totally focus and all that fun stuff but adderall calms me down and gets me level and a recent increase in dose just makes me MORE sedate and hungry.

Brains are weird, definitely get evaluated for ADHD if the symptoms are present. poo poo is no joke, my brain is like 1000000000x better off since getting on the right meds.

So much this.

I also see the new crew hitting energy drinks hard. I then remind them "the coffee is free and has no sugar." I've gotten a couple people fully hooked (to self-medicate their ADHD) by running a 16oz cup of coffee over ice to get it room temperature and just slamming it back.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
On subs you generally don't have room for a bunch of lovely consumable energy drinks

On ships I can't imagine wasting that much of your paychecks on bottles and cans of lovely sugar water

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Please bully your junior sailors out of being dumb idiots with their health and money.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Younger sailors have always drank that sugary poo poo. Coffee is generally an e-5+ drink.

I know on deployment I’d supplement coffee with rip-its when we’d get them from the platform.

When I was deploying on Nimitz between 2005-2009, the airwing were filling their camelback with monsters, so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

I had to go through caffeine withdrawal from a chemical dependency when I was 21, so I do what I can do keep the tolerance low.

If I really needed focus/energy, I used B vitamins. Spent 4 years as an E-5, but when I went into R&D, and left operations, needing artificial sources of energy stopped becoming a thing.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

On ships I can't imagine wasting that much of your paychecks on bottles and cans of lovely sugar water

Hahahahahaha

I remember every unrep we did while on deployment with the MEU would be like 50 pallets of food, 10 pallets of parts and random crap then 40 pallets of monster and ripits.

I personally knew sailors blowing 15-20$ per day on energy drinks easily.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

M_Gargantua posted:

Please bully your junior sailors out of being dumb idiots with their health and money.

You can't bully water out of being wet.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Excuse me we drank SUGAR FREE monsters.

Give me all the aspartame brain holes

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Lol how long has it been since any of you have been underway? Kids these days rarely drink coffee it's all monsters and other weird energy drinks onboard. Seems like it's only the olds like me who still drink coffee anyone onboard ship.

Give it 3 weeks underway and a delayed unrep because of weather and all of a sudden everyone is extremely interested in the giant vat of sludge so thick you can stand a spoon up in it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Hahahahahaha

I remember every unrep we did while on deployment with the MEU would be like 50 pallets of food, 10 pallets of parts and random crap then 40 pallets of monster and ripits.

I personally knew sailors blowing 15-20$ per day on energy drinks easily.

Also pallets of Bodybuilder dot com workout supplements. When I was night check watch O during deployment a decade ago, the only use that the N2A was good at was going to the wardroom to get coffee or peanut butter for the watch team

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Due to space constraints I remember people snorting early hydroxycut and mixing C4 workout supplements to stay awake. The C4 was apparently a grudging replacement for an earlier supplement that got banned because it had something in it that was too similar to meth.

Your peers and command climate have a huge play into this, and if your suppo is loading a crate of 5 hour energy every unrep because it sells well they're a huge part of the problem.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I would pack out energy powderer mixes from walmart for my underways to drink on watch. Every oncoming was the same thing - wake up an hour before chow to exercise amd shower -> chow -> assume the watch and pour mix into beverage -> turnover and chow -> maintenance and checkouts -> rack -> repeat. poo poo loving sucked gently caress the navy

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is an honest question, not smartassery: Have you ever been tested for ADHD? That's a pretty common thing since caffeine can have a very different effect than on people without it. Lots of ADHD folks self-medicate with shitloads of caffeine in one form or another before they're diagnosed because it has a similar effect to the meds that get prescribed.

I had a totally bro Psychiatrist in Hawaii that treated me for ADHD and it was better. Technically never tested but during another screening it didn't show at all.

I do hit quite a few wickets for it. Probably should get the official test done to get back on the good drugs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Also pallets of Bodybuilder dot com workout supplements. When I was night check watch O during deployment a decade ago, the only use that the N2A was good at was going to the wardroom to get coffee or peanut butter for the watch team

Mail Call on the Boxer was 90% bags and bags of bodybuilder.com supplements for the Marines.

I did mix some C4 in my monster on the bad nights.

Mess Deck coffee and hot chocolate powder does make a good knock off cafe mocha.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I could never make a supply of five hour energy last more than a few weeks into a contract; did drink a gently caress load of coffee over the years though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Laranzu posted:

I had a totally bro Psychiatrist in Hawaii that treated me for ADHD and it was better. Technically never tested but during another screening it didn't show at all.

I do hit quite a few wickets for it. Probably should get the official test done to get back on the good drugs.

We got us a thread for chat and commiseratin': https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885798

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Ships coffee was gross, whoever made it always put too much coffee in. I tried to keep a French press around, but they weren't very durable, still nice while they lasted.
I can't deal with pre-workout drinks, the BCAA's make my veins feel itchy, besides Copenhagen snuff and the blue monsters were more than enough to slog thru a workday.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
When I joined the old squadron back in 2019, one of my first flights was an overnight burner and the crew was noooot enthusiastic at all about it. I decided to boost spirits and morale by bringing a bag of candy and another bag full of Bang energy drinks, which I thought were okay since we stocked them in our deployment geedunk. The crew were stoked, flight doc the next day was not...

I may have gotten a gentle talking to about CNAF regulations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

Ships coffee was gross, whoever made it always put too much coffee in. I tried to keep a French press around, but they weren't very durable, still nice while they lasted.
I can't deal with pre-workout drinks, the BCAA's make my veins feel itchy, besides Copenhagen snuff and the blue monsters were more than enough to slog thru a workday.

You forgot the joy of midwatch vienna sausages

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PneumonicBook posted:

I will never eat canned ravioli again. Night after night of death pillows...

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh yeah, those gross little things rule!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I spent 3 months of my last deployment making the lovely coffee on the Reagan. It's SB Pike's Place. Depending on the machine it's 2 bags per 100 cups or an estimated 50 cups. We don't really know because CSs neither read nor keep around instruction manuals. Mostly we had to figure it out ourselves because CSs weren't useful beyond telling us it's supposed to be tossed after 1 hour.

This is assuming cargo actually delivered in a timely manner.

We also had a Georgia coffee (JP) machine in Aft that only a couple of people could really keep running and was definitely not up to the task of supplying a cvn crew.