Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lobok posted:

Super horny, recently pubed-up, smelly adolescent incel Yoda.

"Look I'm happy to give you your privacy to stay in the cargo compartment and "meditate" six times a day, but would it kill you to help clean up after yourself, maybe swap out the power converters from time to time?"

"My father, you are not!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just go whole hog, teen goth Yoda. Maybe lose that lament configuration.

It was good enough for Frasier!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I love baby yoda. I hate that "baby" yoda is 50 years old. That's honestly bullshit even with a 900 year lifespan. 50 years of being dependent on others for food and wiping and basic survival.

Yeah, yeah, it's an alien. Still loving bullshit though. Just have him be 5 years old and an actual baby.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
But then he can't be an Order 66 survivor, which is important because

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why didn't they just go with "he was in cryo"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's all an act. Grogu's perfectly capable of speech and taking care of himself, he just loves the attention.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Madurai posted:

It's all an act. Grogu's perfectly capable of speech and taking care of himself, he just loves the attention.

Disney Star Wars trying to snare the coveted adult baby viewer demographic, and making it everyone else's problem.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for Grogu to rapidly mature at some point and then be the one directing Din on how to repair his ship

"Cross the red wire with the blue wire-"
*ZAP*
"-you should not."
"Then START with that!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arc Light posted:

Disney Star Wars trying to snare the coveted adult baby viewer demographic, and making it everyone else's problem.

Excuse me but they're called Kidults

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why didn't they just go with "he was in cryo"

Especially when the Obi-Wan show shows us that the emperor/inquisitors literally have several jedi on ice

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's like Order 66 Clue

The GROGU survived the purge in the DAGOBAH with the CRYOPOD

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't see why a 50 year old baby is absurd for a species that lives to 900. Particularly an inherently force sensitive species.

We've gotta take care of our completely helpless young for years. From the perspective of a deer, that's absurd. If a baby deer can't run around on its own in a few hours it, or whatever family stays to protect it, is as good as dead. But we humans have got cooperative social units that evolution takes into consideration. I vaguely remember reading theories that human helplessness is actually longer than it needs to be, perhaps as a way to strengthen the social bonds of the adults who take care of them or something.

So you've got the Yoda species, who appear to be physically unimposing at all ages, but make up for it with a very strong link to the force. These creatures must have a very careful cooperative society to care for their young for so long. It would also explain their force connection to an extent- it's not that some species are more innately capable of connecting with it, on the contrary they come from a species incapable of surviving without connecting to it. And I'm not talking about force sensitive babies, but rather their caretakers must be incredibly patient and competent. They must use the force to protect their young from danger, and heal them when there are inevitable accidents. And there may be some synergy going on here. If it takes years to form a connection to the force, and the connection is best formed in childhood, a species dependent on the force would be better served spending a very long time in a state receptive to connecting with the force. And at the same time adults with force sensitivity would make raising a child for so long actually practical.

Or maybe he was just born 50 years ago and was in fact in cryo sleep since then, or some form of natural trauma hibernation. Have they explicitly said he wasn't?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If yoda himself is any indication, incredibly competent seems like quite a stretch

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

Or maybe he was just born 50 years ago and was in fact in cryo sleep since then, or some form of natural trauma hibernation. Have they explicitly said he wasn't?

Luke and Ahsoka both communicated with him through the force. They said he was a student at the jedi temple and his experience witnessing Order 66/the purge caused him to regress emotionally.

(Edit: and that doesn't rule out a cryo pod, but it seems like the kind of thing one of them would have mentioned)

Whole lot of leeway for Yoda's species. If they mature in an equivalent way to humans, a 50 year old of that species would be akin to a 5 year old human, give or take. But it's a universe somewhere between sci fi and fantasy, so he can develop at whatever speed the screenwriters need, I guess.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

If yoda himself is any indication, incredibly competent seems like quite a stretch
True. Yoda did famously let a bunch of children die, something that his species in particular can not afford to do. A major fuckup, to be sure.

I feel that's clearly a result of playing around with politics, and a very solid argument that Yoda's species should never have abandoned their presumably much more sustainable hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

Arc Light posted:

Luke and Ahsoka both communicated with him through the force. They said he was a student at the jedi temple and his experience witnessing Order 66/the purge caused him to regress emotionally.

(Edit: and that doesn't rule out a cryo pod, but it seems like the kind of thing one of them would have mentioned)
I mean, that's question. Would they have mentioned it? I don't think we have any hints about what his life was like in the decades after Order 66. And "regress emotionally" could mean going into a trauma coma or some other alien biological thing that meant he didn't actually grow up at all during the intervening decades.

The point is that there's more than enough alien/sci fi nonsense wiggle room that I don't know why there's a problem with him being 50.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Humans have stages of brain formation and neurological development that take years and last well into adulthood, FWIW. Stands to reason a longer-lived species would have longer developmental stages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain_development_timeline

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/psyp.14159

https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/great-brain-rewiring-after-age-40/

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

From the moment we meet him, Yoda is clearly a massive troll, regardless of his species. Absent an Internet, he is stuck harassing Jedi for centuries. There’s evidence he either deliberately speaks basic in an inverted structure or that he never bothered over centuries to learn any better. What’s worse, we’ve only seen him during tbe late Republic period and afterward, when he’s a Jedi elder and in a position of respect and leadership. I can only imagine how several hundred years in that position would rankle someone who would prefer to be trolling everyone all the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGW7aImQwxI

Robot Chicken has a point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Parkingtigers posted:

I love baby yoda. I hate that "baby" yoda is 50 years old. That's honestly bullshit even with a 900 year lifespan. 50 years of being dependent on others for food and wiping and basic survival.

Yeah, yeah, it's an alien. Still loving bullshit though. Just have him be 5 years old and an actual baby.

Alternatively, who gives a poo poo lol.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Narsham posted:

From the moment we meet him, Yoda is clearly a massive troll, regardless of his species. Absent an Internet, he is stuck harassing Jedi for centuries. There’s evidence he either deliberately speaks basic in an inverted structure or that he never bothered over centuries to learn any better. What’s worse, we’ve only seen him during tbe late Republic period and afterward, when he’s a Jedi elder and in a position of respect and leadership. I can only imagine how several hundred years in that position would rankle someone who would prefer to be trolling everyone all the time.

Nah, he just loves ketamine

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Alternatively, who gives a poo poo lol.

Triumph also gave us a lot to think about

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Bad Batch trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sc6vH4qDvtw

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's a shame I find those characters obnoxious and bland because I'd like to watch more Clone Wars style stuff.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUzd50rxlF4
Really cool dive into Vader's slashed helmet using the actual prop.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

At least this trailer doesn't shade us manchildren by appealing to parents to tell their kids there's new season

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

It's a shame I find those characters obnoxious and bland because I'd like to watch more Clone Wars style stuff.

Doubly a shame, because I am really interested in something exploring the Empire: Year One setting.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I felt like finally getting around to watching Rogue One, thinking I hadn't seen it before watching Andor. Turns out I had seen it and just forgotten it entirely. It's... a movie. It's a film. It has a plot. There are some characters.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it's the third best SW film, maybe second.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Madurai posted:

Doubly a shame, because I am really interested in something exploring the Empire: Year One setting.

Should've stuck with the standard Clone Wars anthology style rather than copying Rebels' "only one perspective" style

Give me loyal Imperial viewpoints, dammit :argh: None of this "Sees the atrocities and peaces out" story beats we've seen before a dozen times

Give me the Dedras, the Syrils, the Partagazs

:sigh:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that was the beat part of TCW and let me dip in and out of the show so easily.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

We’ll at least have Crosshair and now Cody for the Loyal Imperial perspectives.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I need to free up HD space so binging through those Visions ep I had left - I really didn't like the second and third ones so just didn't bother continuing for a good long while. But against all odds I liked the fourth and fifth ones, and while I don't care for the sixth, the fact it's just MEGA MAN BUT A JEDI cracks me up.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Seems like they are visiting Kashyyyk?

I will be pleasantly thrilled if the show decides to finally pick up on the Sev thread from Republic Commando after all this time, given that it has already included Scorch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slashrat posted:

Seems like they are visiting Kashyyyk?

I will be pleasantly thrilled if the show decides to finally pick up on the Sev thread from Republic Commando after all this time, given that it has already included Scorch

There was a Wookie shown in one of the earlier S2 trailers so that seems likely, yeah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sentinel Red posted:

I need to free up HD space so binging through those Visions ep I had left - I really didn't like the second and third ones so just didn't bother continuing for a good long while. But against all odds I liked the fourth and fifth ones, and while I don't care for the sixth, the fact it's just MEGA MAN BUT A JEDI cracks me up.

T0-B1 was cute and fine. The two Studio Trigger productions were miles apart and I'm not sure if I liked either of them. The one with David Harbour was mainly bad and boring while the other one was the most Trigger thing imaginable and therefore impossible to make a judgment call on its actual quality.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vinylshadow posted:

Should've stuck with the standard Clone Wars anthology style rather than copying Rebels' "only one perspective" style

Give me loyal Imperial viewpoints, dammit :argh: None of this "Sees the atrocities and peaces out" story beats we've seen before a dozen times

Give me the Dedras, the Syrils, the Partagazs

:sigh:

It would stop it from being so cameo-heavy too. Some of them are fine (Rex being in the show is a natural result of the premise) but we've seen half the crew of the Ghost, plus the Martez sisters, plus Fennec Shand, etc. It's starting to make the galaxy feel really small.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the filoni-verse. Nothing but cameos and space cats all the way down.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

It's the filoni-verse. Nothing but cameos and space cats all the way down.

Star Wars TV Megathread: Across the Filoniverse: Cameo Cats All The Way Down

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
This force-owl and force-wolf erasure won't stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zebulon posted:

This force-owl and force-wolf erasure won't stand.

We're not giving Dave that kind of power again