Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:yikeseroo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

Smiling Friends is top 5 animated shows last 30 years

Smiling Friends is good, but there's a couple things that I'm not crazy about. A few episodes feel like they're trying to deliver a "everyone is too sensitive and politically correct nowadays!" message, which isnt a fantastic look. The Halloween episode (People going rabid to the point of murder over perceived black face) and Mr Frog episode (the executive being portrayed as a controlling rear end in a top hat for trying to remove toxicity from a popular TV show) are the two major standouts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Outpost22 posted:

But in the Itchy and Scratchy or Krusty episodes, all the writers acted as if it was the network types who sucked the life out of TV shows?

The Poochie episode has come up before as an interesting illustration how frankly there's a lot of blame to go around, and the episode doesn't hide it. The execs do acknowledge a problem- flagging ratings and the show in a general rut- but struggle to identify any real cause and come up with a character that's clearly a parody of 90s mascots. The writers though don't even bother to do anything with him, to integrate him into the show's formula or have meaningful interaction, just shoving him into a stock episode and having him rattle off catchphrases til they run out of time. Literally the only one on the show who actually tries to make the character work is Homer, and even while his own suggestions are meant to be ridiculous, being a loudmouthed angry time traveller is probably at worst a lateral move compared to how he was introduced, and might give some opportunities for bloody slapstick and catharsis.

Also look at the recent Witcher drama, or Game of Thrones, even Young Justice comes to mind- while there's lots and lots of examples of executives loving over a show especially by meddling with poo poo they don't need to and have no real understanding of, the writers can also often be the problem, whether being lazy, having an agenda or just being completely insane. (Ask a Sonic fan. Or better yet, don't.)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There is a Simpsons Christmas short on Disney+. Andres Bocelli shows up in the Simpsons living room with his two children and sings "Con Te Partiro" and the Simpsons object so they sing Felix Navidad.

There are a bunch of dumb Christmas gags around Springfield, probably the worst being Groundskeeper Willie giving Sideshow Bob a rake as a present, which he then lays on the ground and steps on.

I like the Bocellis' song though. It's really good.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Toxic Mental posted:

My brother, those are the videos that taught me how to do the Aus accent

Oi Damo oim goin down to the bottleo to get some fourex, give us ya cennuhlink ya cant

chuck it in the ute

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
re Poochie and execs and writers and poo poo

Chris Tallman (a comedian I don't know super well despite posting about him twice in 24 hours) played the lead in one of those Disney live-action sitcoms. I heard him talk about it in a couple interviews. the shtick is that they're a family of super heroes. he played Thunderman.

but their last name is Thunderman and he was asking about their secret identities or whatever -- how they maintain their ordinary suburban life if their last name is his hero name -- and the writers were like "what? no. their last name is Thunderman." same response for lair questions about Paul F Tompkins's moon villain character.

tl;dr:

gently caress stories, get money.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CodfishCartographer posted:

Smiling Friends is good, but there's a couple things that I'm not crazy about. A few episodes feel like they're trying to deliver a "everyone is too sensitive and politically correct nowadays!" message, which isnt a fantastic look. The Halloween episode (People going rabid to the point of murder over perceived black face) and Mr Frog episode (the executive being portrayed as a controlling rear end in a top hat for trying to remove toxicity from a popular TV show) are the two major standouts.

Given the people behind the show, I'm not really surprised.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Agreeing with whoever said that Family Guy is good again. I've said this in this thread a few times, but the last three-ish seasons of Family Guy have been mostly solid. By this, I of course mean "if you ever enjoyed the show in any capacity you might like it again". There was a very long stretch from like 2008 to 2018 where the show was absolutely vile, mean, and no effort. They're very clearly putting effort in again and the tone is more positive.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Bob’s burgers is a joyless slog

For years now the show has played it ultra safe and gone way too hard on "we're the positive, sweet, comforting show". I recently started watching from the beginning, and while the first few episodes are a little rough, to my surprise the earlier episodes are significantly funnier. Bob in the earlier days was much more like Coach McGurk. He and the whole show in general has just a little edge to it. Today Bob constantly speaks as if he's scared to get the words out. Once you notice this in the new episodes you won't be able to un-notice it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Beartaco posted:

Did they replace him with an Italian American sex pest only to bring the real Quagmire back half a season later?

Are you thinking of the dog? He didn't replace Quagmire, he replaced Brian.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Agreeing with whoever said that Family Guy is good again. I've said this in this thread a few times, but the last three-ish seasons of Family Guy have been mostly solid. By this, I of course mean "if you ever enjoyed the show in any capacity you might like it again". There was a very long stretch from like 2008 to 2018 where the show was absolutely vile, mean, and no effort. They're very clearly putting effort in again and the tone is more positive.

There were a few highlights imho (Joe gets revenge on the guy who injured him, re-interpretations of high school English books, re-interpretations of one plot as if they were by three different directors, etc.), but boy howdy were the lowlights abysmal (Brian deliberately infects Stewie with herpes, Lois stops getting Stewie vaccinated because of some Christian Scientist propaganda that I swear one writer must have scrolled across on Twitter one day & copy-pasted into a script, Quagmire gets addicted to Tinder, etc.).

Honorable mention goes to Brian attempting to use his son's fame to advance his career.

edit: I want to also add that there was a stretch of time where literally every single episode had a "Peter is gay/bi" joke and a Jew/Asian joke, and it was very disconcerting.

quote:

For years now the show has played it ultra safe and gone way too hard on "we're the positive, sweet, comforting show".

I kind of thought of Bob's Burgers as the Parks & Rec to Family Guy's Office. I tried to get into it but it was just too safe, like you said.

edit2: I really hope this post doesn't make me look like some humorless edgelord, this is definitely not the case

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 17, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

For years now the show has played it ultra safe and gone way too hard on "we're the positive, sweet, comforting show". I recently started watching from the beginning, and while the first few episodes are a little rough, to my surprise the earlier episodes are significantly funnier. Bob in the earlier days was much more like Coach McGurk. He and the whole show in general has just a little edge to it. Today Bob constantly speaks as if he's scared to get the words out. Once you notice this in the new episodes you won't be able to un-notice it.

Oh 100%, it’s fine to make the characters likable but it feels like they are carefully taken out of plastic wrap, go through the motions, throw in a barely written song, and status quo preserved. It is fun to go back to classics like Bob drinking absinthe then being shot at by his landlord’s crazed girlfriend, family is kidnapped by a cruise ship captain, or candy cane truck stalks them to remember when it had energy. Remember when there were subtle running hints Bob is attracted to men? Long forgotten.

Now it feels like they could air the eps in any order as it doesn’t matter and the B plots rarely cross with the main story. Even stuff like how the Jimmy Pesto actor may be wanted for treason aren’t addressed at all. I mean I don’t expect a Jan 6 plot but why not have a new restaurant move in across the street with a new rival for Bob?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I kind of thought of Bob's Burgers as the Parks & Rec to Family Guy's Office. I tried to get into it but it was just too safe, like you said.

That’s a good comparison, especially with how late Parks & Rec became lazy wish fulfillment. Leslie is president now, Jerry ascended to godhood, April didn’t want kids but too drat bad babies fix everything. I liked early seasons when the town was odd but functional? Some of their best gags were never explaining why Lil Sebastian is idolized, but in later seasons the citizens are so dumb it’s confusing why they don’t drown when it rains.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Even though they ramped down the mean spirit of the show, I've noticed Family Guy still routinely does uncomfortable "lol jews" moments in the newer seasons. Usually all done via that red head guy who used to just be an eccentric hypochondriac before they changed him to be whatever the hell he is now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Poochie episode has come up before as an interesting illustration how frankly there's a lot of blame to go around, and the episode doesn't hide it. The execs do acknowledge a problem- flagging ratings and the show in a general rut- but struggle to identify any real cause and come up with a character that's clearly a parody of 90s mascots. The writers though don't even bother to do anything with him, to integrate him into the show's formula or have meaningful interaction, just shoving him into a stock episode and having him rattle off catchphrases til they run out of time. Literally the only one on the show who actually tries to make the character work is Homer, and even while his own suggestions are meant to be ridiculous, being a loudmouthed angry time traveller is probably at worst a lateral move compared to how he was introduced, and might give some opportunities for bloody slapstick and catharsis.

Also look at the recent Witcher drama, or Game of Thrones, even Young Justice comes to mind- while there's lots and lots of examples of executives loving over a show especially by meddling with poo poo they don't need to and have no real understanding of, the writers can also often be the problem, whether being lazy, having an agenda or just being completely insane. (Ask a Sonic fan. Or better yet, don't.)

apologies if i've mentioned this earlier in the thread (cause i genuinely don't remember if i did), but i've always been confused at the message/lesson the writers of the poochie episode were trying to convey. if they were making fun of the 90s era trend of adding needlessly pointlessly edgy/xtreme characters in t.v. shows, okay cool. but they took it a step further and weren't just making fun of it, but arguing that it was because of said new character that people would lose interest in a show. but that's not exactly true. yes, Itchy and Scratchy's popularity nosedived after the introduction of poochie, but it wasn't cause of the character. it was because they literally changed the entire point of the show! it also further makes no sense when after they kill him off, itchy and scratchy's popularity returns to normal, which even then only happened not just cause they killed off poochie but because they went back to how the show originally was! and that's always a weird way to end it because the episode started off with the execs complaining that ratings were going down in the first place. maybe this is supposed to be some kind of New Coke type parallel or something? anyway, poochie was used as a scapegoat when there were far bigger issues that led to I&S's waning popularity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

apologies if i've mentioned this earlier in the thread (cause i genuinely don't remember if i did), but i've always been confused at the message/lesson the writers of the poochie episode were trying to convey. if they were making fun of the 90s era trend of adding needlessly pointlessly edgy/xtreme characters in t.v. shows, okay cool. but they took it a step further and weren't just making fun of it, but arguing that it was because of said new character that people would lose interest in a show. but that's not exactly true. yes, Itchy and Scratchy's popularity nosedived after the introduction of poochie, but it wasn't cause of the character. it was because they literally changed the entire point of the show! it also further makes no sense when after they kill him off, itchy and scratchy's popularity returns to normal, which even then only happened not just cause they killed off poochie but because they went back to how the show originally was! and that's always a weird way to end it because the episode started off with the execs complaining that ratings were going down in the first place. maybe this is supposed to be some kind of New Coke type parallel or something? anyway, poochie was used as a scapegoat when there were far bigger issues that led to I&S's waning popularity.

I mean, that's kinda the point. One thing a ton of franchises often do, and especially in the 90s is respond to a relatively modest downturn in ratings- the tendency for the rate of profit to fall, after all- with the abrupt and jarring changing of the basic formula usually to insert some idea of a modern fad they think the Kids These Days are into. A ton of shows have a point where they crowbar in a new character who effectively adds nothing except clearly appealing to some executive for some reason. (Pinky Elmyra and the Brain anybody?) Poochie was incredibly on-point at the time. It's not always new characters AND changing up the formula, but thoughtless changes to chase fads that completely lose track of what people actually like about a series. The episode was literally made in response to Fox executives suggesting a young man moving in with the Simpsons to 'spice up the show', hence Roy's brief and only appearance.

Also reminded of the 'KIDS, SAY NO TO DRUGS' short after some incredibly weak action which is also ridiculously on-point for how anti-drug messages in 90s shows were usually horribly crowbarred in and nothing but a detriment to them, and probably inspired some kids to try drugs just out of spite for the lamest people in the world telling them not to.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm glad DARE existed, it taught me what drugs were. I guarantee you every drug joke I've ever heard would have gone over my head if not for DARE.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In fairness, the last couple of seasons of Game of Thrones definitely would have benefited from a loud-mouthed anthropomorphic dog with access to a time machine.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

PostNouveau posted:

Groundskeeper Willie giving Sideshow Bob a rake as a present, which he then lays on the ground and steps on.

Lol that kinda owns actually

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

On its own i like the idea, but since it's modern Simpsons I get the feeling I'd make the same noise as Bob does

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

edogawa rando posted:

In fairness, the last couple of seasons of Game of Thrones definitely would have benefited from a loud-mouthed anthropomorphic dog with access to a time machine.

Ed Sheeran

is

Poochie

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tried watching Lisa the Boy Scout from the latest season after seeing it on a best of 2022 tv list. Made it ten minutes before turning it off.
Among the crimes:
-gotta label the red barrel “gasoline” or audience won’t know why it’s on fire.

-can you imagine the absurdity of Panda Express owning everything? That’s the joke. Also the word “bitcoin” is a punchline.

-they ripped off an onion article from 20 years ago about a student in a French class needing to report a fire in French.

-I know we say it every time but holy cow Marge sounds dire. Skinner is way off too.

Anyway just needed assurance that folk who claim the show has recovered or still has gems are, uh, not correct.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 26, 2022

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Empty Sandwich posted:

Tiny Toon Adventures would always do a throwaway joke in the credits and my favorite was "Character Inadvertently Left out of the Name Game: Plucky Duck"

Always my favorite part of the episode. Fave: "The moral of the story is Plucky's a jerk"

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
They briefly spun off a Plucky Duck show and it was great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Anyway just needed assurance that folk who claim the show has recovered or still has gems are, uh, not correct.

I'm reminded of how in an interview one of the writers of modern Simpsons was completely caught off guard and got mad when they were asked about any particular joke or scene they'd written and were proud of, and clearly couldn't think of one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how in an interview one of the writers of modern Simpsons was completely caught off guard and got mad when they were asked about any particular joke or scene they'd written and were proud of, and clearly couldn't think of one.

"That's a very nasty question, you're a terrible reporter"

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

YOLO Crystal Fantasy and Michael Cusack own

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

They briefly spun off a Plucky Duck show and it was great.

what show was that?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Data Graham posted:

"That's a very nasty question, you're a terrible reporter"

Beautiful

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Remember Taz-Mania? Man, what a dumb, boring misstep in between Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs.

Who was going to pick up on the dad being Bing Crosby and that he enjoyed orange juice (something Crosby advertised for in the 1960s), or that the hotel manager was Basil Fawlty from Fawlty Towers? Why was the aboriginal kid named after a silent movie star that died in 1966?

Aside from the continuous “LOL AUSTRALIA LOL!” jokes, I also just remembered the uncle was Bob Hope. Who exactly was this show made for??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You Are A Elf posted:

Remember Taz-Mania? Man, what a dumb, boring misstep in between Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs.

Who was going to pick up on the dad being Bing Crosby and that he enjoyed orange juice (something Crosby advertised for in the 1960s), or that the hotel manager was Basil Fawlty from Fawlty Towers? Why was the aboriginal kid named after a silent movie star that died in 1966?

Aside from the continuous “LOL AUSTRALIA LOL!” jokes, I also just remembered the uncle was Bob Hope. Who exactly was this show made for??

I remember playing a lot of the SNES game, which wasn't very good but has a weirdly addictive quality to it. Taz just eternally running into the distance eating everything in sight.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I never had an SNES originally and I feel like I missed out on a lot of fun kid memories.

Had a Genesis, but it just wasn’t the same :smith:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

You Are A Elf posted:

Remember Taz-Mania?

the Bing Crosby dad voice is an almost perfect match for a retired religion professor who lives across the street from my brother. it adds to the amusement when he starts rambling.

I've never watched a full episode of the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You Are A Elf posted:

I never had an SNES originally and I feel like I missed out on a lot of fun kid memories.

Had a Genesis, but it just wasn’t the same :smith:

Both are fun. Gotta say the 16 bit era in general holds up surprisingly well. Did you have Gunstar Heroes?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Both are fun. Gotta say the 16 bit era in general holds up surprisingly well. Did you have Gunstar Heroes?

No, but my cousin (the only other person I knew of that had a Genesis) did and that game slaps.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I remember liking Taz Mania as a kid. It probably wouldn’t hold up now, but neither does Tiny Toons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I remember liking Taz Mania as a kid. It probably wouldn’t hold up now, but neither does Tiny Toons.

Same, but that was probably just because I inherently liked every cartoon when I was 6.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Taz is one of those shows that the opening song gets stuck in my head out of nowhere every so often. It's like, the most un-catchy song ever and yet when my brain is juuuuuust quiet enough I hear "come to taz-mania come to taz-mania" in the back of my head.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

eh i feel a good chunk of tiny toons holds up pretty well. moreso than animaniacs, imo

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Plucky Duck from TT and Pinky and the Brain from Animaniacs were the best segments :colbert:

Oh and those weird Mr. Skullhead bits.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

what show was that?

Come to think of it, I don't think it was a separate show, but there were a few episodes were he took over the show (including a change of the intro to The Plucky Duck Hole)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Also I'm cracking up thinking about that episode were Plucky keeps flushing poo poo down the toilet.

Anvilania was great as well.