Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No one wants to regulate better service because prices are going to go massively up. They will regulate safe service (and they do! It's a huge part of what's causing everything to gently caress up, because both the airlines and Transport Canada do take issues like crew fatigue very seriously), but the fact of the matter is that all the things that build resiliency in the system cost a lot of money that very few people want to spend. It's extra equipment at airports, pilots and other crew members and ground staff getting paid to sit on reserve, it's aircraft that just sit empty on the ground in case something breaks somewhere (or sometimes fly around empty to minimize dispatch time -- UPS does this, for example).

Think about it like JIT logistics: it works great, and very efficiently... until it doesn't. And when one thing goes wrong, a bunch of poo poo is going to go wrong. You need to have slack in the system, or one or two big storms and maybe some sick calls can cause the entire schedule to collapse.

You can absolutely say "yes, that's a great idea, make the airlines do it" but the consequence is that air travel is going to get a lot more expensive. If you need to get somewhere no-questions-asked at any price, it looks like a great idea. When it massively increases the cost of discretionary travel, it looks a lot less attractive to most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I agree that it is in large part a lack of regulation enforcement, but I assure you Australia's air industry is just as hosed as ours. They don't even have weather to blame for most of their cancellations. At least the news there is talking about how bad their rehiring has gone.

I mean I was just down in Australia hopping around a bunch of cities for work, and everything was running way better than it does here generally, let alone the tire fire that our airports have been this summer.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Went to Montreal to see my family and started feeling a little funny last night, tested this morning... positive. Wife tested, positive, my dad.. positive, mom, positive, my son, positive..

What an attack rate

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/Cooper4SAE/status/1606436192936943616?t=WUwvb4PiI2s9CocSI25FEw&s=19

Oh good, everyone's favourite haunted ventriloquist dummy is wishing us a happy holidays

FoE
May 1, 2005
nothing really

EngineerJoe posted:

Went to Montreal to see my family and started feeling a little funny last night, tested this morning... positive. Wife tested, positive, my dad.. positive, mom, positive, my son, positive..

What an attack rate

That's how it happened to my family, 6 of us caught it at once.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Coming to your backyard soon!

I would have gone for Donnie Darko, but you won this one.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 27, 2022

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Albino Squirrel posted:

https://twitter.com/Cooper4SAE/status/1606436192936943616?t=WUwvb4PiI2s9CocSI25FEw&s=19

Oh good, everyone's favourite haunted ventriloquist dummy is wishing us a happy holidays

57 seconds 1.5 blinks. Just like a completely normal human adult male person. 🤖

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yep, we lucked out nicely.

Drove down to Quebec on Thursday (day early) to avoid the storm. Came back yesterday and it was also totally fine, with some periods of relatively heavy snow.
My wife did break a wiper blade while scraping the windshield and it fell off while we were driving but it ended up being a-okay.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/red-deer-labour-shortage-business-1.6693680

quote:

Rollins says it seems like they're hiring and firing people on a regular basis. Some people don't work out, while some others get hired but don't show up. 

"We just had two people that we had to terminate today. We get people and they show up for a few days and leave," he said.

Robinson says the number of job vacancies allows people to be more selective when choosing a job. 

Is there a world's smallest violin emoji.

Should we figure out why everybody quits or is fired after 3 days? No, it is the lack of people to churn through that is hurting us.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Albino Squirrel posted:

lol but really what is wrong with this guy though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Late stage Conservatism

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sadly there is no cure.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It looks more like congenital conservativism than late stage conservativism.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bargain Bin Hans Gruber

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mister Speaker posted:

Bargain Bin Hans Gruber

This was my first thought but even the bargain bin of Hans Grubers has to maintain some sort of his charm instead of whatever fleshbot this idiot is.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Speaking for the airline industry, they lost a lot of experienced people during the pandemic. You had Ops and Crews with a few years under their belt let go, and a lot of them retrained and a lot of them retired. So you lost a lot of soft capacity, people who knew the slight nuances of the industry and could spot problems before they became problems. The airlines figured everybody would just sit waiting to come back like a lovely boyfriend who didn't think their ex would move on

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Both impressed that AI deep fakes are getting this good, and that some people couldn't be assed to do a short holiday greeting.

EngineerJoe posted:

What an attack rate

We've been pretty careful, and only met with one other family. One kid brought home the stomach flu, and all eight of us were puking and squirting out of our asses for five days.

It was horrible, but I guess it could've been worse.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yep, we've mostly been careful, all 6 of us have never had covid before.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Testikles posted:

Speaking for the airline industry, they lost a lot of experienced people during the pandemic. You had Ops and Crews with a few years under their belt let go, and a lot of them retrained and a lot of them retired. So you lost a lot of soft capacity, people who knew the slight nuances of the industry and could spot problems before they became problems. The airlines figured everybody would just sit waiting to come back like a lovely boyfriend who didn't think their ex would move on

I mean, that's an issue, but the far bigger issue is that everything is being run with such minimal slack in the system that failures cascade very easily because there is no redundancy. Is that because they lost people? Well, yeah, maybe it is, to a point. But it's also because they really, really don't want to hire/train/pay their way out of that situation. The most experienced crews and ops managers could not have fixed this problem under the operational constraints. If you don't have a crew schedule that can soak up delays, the law will come and gently caress you. If the crews are timed out, they're timed out, whether they have 20 years under their belt or finished indoc yesterday.

From the flight crew perspective, the options are: hire and pay people to sit on reserve, and have airplanes sitting on the ground ready to be repositioned, and accept that cost, or accept that occasionally the schedule will collapse as it has done recently. No airline will act alone to do the former because no one would buy a ticket that reflects the real cost of that redundancy when other airlines choose not to, and no government will regulate them to do so because it would mean presiding over the greatest increase in the cost of air travel ever seen.

There is a third option: subsidy. In practice, this would mean an incredibly robust domestic network (paid for with tax dollars, but I consider that acceptable) and a bunch of wankers who picked the cheapest option to get to Cancun still bitching a blue streak when Sunwing provides the ultra-low-cost service that goes along with their ultra-low-cost fares.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Indolent Bastard posted:

57 seconds 1.5 blinks. Just like a completely normal human adult male person. 🤖

I left the sound off and just watched his face. It was.. unnerving. Hope it's just my imagination running wild.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol but it literally looks like he's conciously thinking about how to position his lips to form words. like his mouth is powered by actuators or something. wtf

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Powershift posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/red-deer-labour-shortage-business-1.6693680

Is there a world's smallest violin emoji.

Should we figure out why everybody quits or is fired after 3 days? No, it is the lack of people to churn through that is hurting us.

Right, if they just keep quitting or not showing up you might want to look into that. People generally don't bother to get a job that they're going to leave in 3 days just for a laugh.
The fact is that there are businesses out there in every industry that don't have staffing issues. Is it magic?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think we need another small business consultant to pop in and inform us how it's basically impossible to hire and retain people due to Liberal social programs

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Testikles posted:

I was led to believe staff are an interchangable resource, a fungible comodity. Was this wrong??

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

infernal machines posted:

I think we need another small business consultant to pop in and inform us how it's basically impossible to hire and retain people due to Liberal social programs

Is Methanar still probed?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NZAmoeba posted:

I was led to believe staff are an interchangable resource, a fungible comodity. Was this wrong??

Ever since the woke mind virus hit, workers are legally considered non-fungible tokens.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pleads posted:

This was my first thought but even the bargain bin of Hans Grubers has to maintain some sort of his charm instead of whatever fleshbot this idiot is.
Maybe it's more of a case of pure flicks trying to enter the Canadian market, and needing a canuck knockoff of their own knockoff of Gruber.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is Methanar still probed?

Unfortunately, no.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-shaw-merger-competition-tribunal-decision-1.6700146

"The Competition Tribunal has dismissed an application from Canada's competition watchdog seeking to block Rogers Communications' proposed $26-billion purchase of Shaw Communications, clearing a path for the deal to go through."

So we don't even have to pretend that telecom is a big fix?

Cool.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I was gonna say, isn't there laws against this? But I guess, lol,

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

quote:

The decision says the deal, which includes the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron, would not likely prevent or lessen competition substantially.

At minimum, this means that you can't get discounts on Shaw Mobile for being a Shaw Internet customer, which raises my cell bill from $10/month to $15. Assuming it stops there (it won't).

Well, it was a good run while it lasted.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Less competition would not prevent or lessen competition substantially"

I mean, I suppose. You can't really go below zero meaningful competition.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

"Less competition would not prevent or lessen competition substantially"

I mean, I suppose. You can't really go below zero meaningful competition.

Yeah, that standard seems somewhat flawed: "There is already no competition, and this won't reduce that any further..."

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Canada was built on monopolies. It’s a part of our heritage™️

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Final Straw Shaw

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Videotron can suck my entire rear end in a top hat, the thieving shits.

Pretending selling something to them is providing adequate competition is perverse. Videotron should be crushed into tiny bits, which are then buried in piss and poo poo, they are the only one of the telecoms that legit did not return money that they owed me. The rest only took money "legitimately".

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Rogers was forcing their customers to pay Hezbollah's cell phone bills

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

COPE 27 posted:

A novel approach to BDS

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

COPE 27 posted:

Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah to be clear it's the coolest thing any Canadian telecom ever did but it would really suck if you got hit with the bill

Some whistleblower even recorded Ted Rogers a security executive admitting it in a board meeting industry conference, at the same time they were threatening their customers

quote:

A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step -- and so it was that law professor Susan Drummond's long, strange trip into the world of wireless security, where she learned that a terrorist organization had appropriated Ted Rogers' cellphone number, was launched by the arrival of a phone bill for $12,237.60.

Ms. Drummond, who had just returned from a month-long trip to Israel, went numb as she looked at the stupefying figure, which was more than 160 times higher than her typical monthly bill of about $75. The Rogers Wireless bill included a five-page list of calls charged to her phone, almost all of them to foreign countries that included Pakistan, Libya, Syria, India and Russia.

Ms. Drummond quickly determined what had happened: Someone had stolen her phone while she was away. She called Rogers Wireless, which told her there was nothing it could do, and she would have to pay the entire amount.

"I was shocked," she said. "Who wouldn't be?"

Since making that call to Rogers last August, Ms. Drummond and her partner, Harry Gefen, have been researching the cellphone giant, yielding some unexpected discoveries, among them that the phones of senior Rogers executives, including Mr. Rogers himself, were repeatedly "cloned" by terrorist groups that used them to make thousands of overseas calls.

That bit of information came out at a conference Mr. Gefen attended in September, where he spoke with Cindy Hopper, a manager in Rogers security department, who told him that the phones of top Rogers executives had been the target of repeated cloning by a group linked to Hezbollah. (Cloning involves the duplication of a cellphone's identity by capturing its number and encrypted security code.)

Speaking into Mr. Gefen's tape recorder -- and unaware that he was an aggrieved customer -- Ms. Hopper said terrorist groups had identified senior cellphone company officers as perfect targets, since the company was loath to shut off their phones for reasons that included inconvenience to busy executives and, of course, the public-relations debacle that would take place if word got out.

"They were cloning the senior executives repeatedly, because everyone was afraid to cut off Ted Rogers' phone," Ms. Hopper says on the tape.

"They were using actually a pretty brilliant psychology. Nobody wants to cut off Ted Rogers' phone or any people that are directly under Ted Rogers, so they took their scanners to our building, like our north building, where our senior top, top, top executives are. They took their scanners there and also to Yorkville, where there are a lot of high rollers and like it would be a major PR blunder to shoot first and ask questions later. . . . Nobody wants to shut off Ted. Even if he is calling Iran, Syria, Lebanon, and Kuwait."

Ms. Hopper also told Mr. Gefen what he had come to suspect -- that Rogers has automated security systems that alert them to radical changes in calling patterns like the ones that Ms. Drummonds' phone had undergone.

Armed with this knowledge, Ms. Drummond is pursuing legal action against the cellphone giant, charging that the company can easily spot a fraud-in-progress, yet "lets the meter run."

"There's a lot they don't want people to know," Ms. Drummond says. "They're afraid that people will lose faith in the system."

Ms. Drummond, who teaches law at Osgoode Hall, is suing Rogers in small claims court, and has filed hundreds of pages of documents to support her charges that the company is profiting from crime by failing to shut down stolen or cloned cellphones.

"There's more at stake here than money," she says.

But as the battle between Ms. Drummond and Rogers Wireless mounts, so do the charges. Each month, the company has added late fees to the outstanding balance (according to Ms. Drummond, the interest rate works out to 26 per cent annually). Rogers now wants a total of $14,141.00.

Ms. Drummond and Mr. Gefen, a technology journalist, have spent the past several months researching cellphone security. Mr. Gefen, who describes himself as "curious by nature," hit pay dirt in September when he attended the Toronto Fraud Forum, an annual conference for security experts.

He decided to go after noticing that one of the speakers was Cindy Hopper, a manager in Rogers fraud and security department, who was scheduled to give a speech titled "Using Cellphone Records to Investigate Fraud, Insurance Claims and Crime."

On Sept. 27, Mr. Gefen arrived at the conference, which was held at a Ramada Inn near Highway 401 and the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto. He paid a $200 registration fee and wore a nametag marked "Harry Gefen/ Knowledge Media."

After listening to Ms. Hopper's speech, Mr. Gefen engaged her in a tape-recorded follow-up conversation that provided an unexpected glimpse into the secret world of cellphone security. Ms. Hopper said Rogers definitely has the means to spot unusual activity on an account, using technology similar to that used by banks to spot fraudulent activity involving debit or credit cards.

"We have a fraud-management system that looks for extraordinary patterns," she told Mr. Gefen.

"And what activates it?" he asked.

"It would be something like, say, you'd never called long distance before and suddenly your phone gets, uh, nonstop to India," she replied.

"What happens after that point?" Mr. Gefen asked.

"Someone calls the customer and asks them whether they're really doing that or whether someone's stolen their phone," she said. Ms. Hopper said that if a customer can't be reached, the company sometimes cuts off the phone's long-distance access to prevent further fraud.

In her statement of claim against Rogers, Ms. Drummond charges that Rogers Wireless knew that something was amiss with her cellphone, yet did nothing to stop it. She notes that she had never made an overseas call with the phone, yet in the month of August, it was used to make more than 300.

"Rogers has a systematic, computer-generated program that immediately alerts their fraud department of atypical calling patterns," she says in one court filing. ". . . In relation to the contract for my cellphone number, Rogers breached its duty of care to prevent fraudulent phone calls being made. . . ."

Jan Innes, a vice-president with Rogers Communications, confirmed that the company has an automatic fraud-detection system that flags suspicious calling patterns, but refused to say how it works.

"We do not give out information that might help people get around the system," she said.

Ms. Innes said that Rogers has a policy of contacting consumers if fraud is suspected. In some cases, she admitted, phones are shut off automatically, but refused to say what criteria were used. (Ms. Drummond and Mr. Gefen believe that the company bases the decision on a customer's creditworthiness. "If you have the financial history, they let the meter run," Ms. Drummond said.) Ms. Drummond noted that she has a salary of more than $100,000, and a sterling credit history. "They knew something was wrong, but they thought they could get the money out of me. It's ridiculous."

Ms. Innes denies that charge. "Creditworthiness doesn't enter into it," she said. Ms. Innes conceded that the hundreds of calls made to foreign hot spots represented a dramatic change in Ms. Drummond's phone usage, but insists that Rogers does not bear responsibility for failing to shut off the service when they couldn't contact her.

"That was in the terms of her contract," she said. ". . . Many of our customers have unusual patterns. It would be onerous if we shut them all down."

In court filings, the company has made it clear that it intends to hold Ms. Drummond responsible for the calls made on her phone. ". . . the plaintiff is responsible for all calls made on her phone prior to the date of notification that her phone was stolen," the company says. "The Plaintiff's failure to mitigate deprived the Defendant of the opportunity to take any action to stop fraudulent calls prior to the 28th of August 2005."

Ms. Innes said the company has offered to settle the case with Ms. Drummond, but said she has refused. Ms. Drummond confirmed that the company had offered to write off the bill if she pays $2,000, but she has rejected the offer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cellphone-security-fraud-leaves-customer-with-big-bill-1.541317

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 31, 2022