Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I simply stayed home and did not go anywhere during the bad weather, and I live to tell the tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
another good trick is to knock on wood every time you say "i can't believe the power hasn't gone out yet" so that the power stays on

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

another good trick is to knock on wood every time you say "i can't believe the power hasn't gone out yet" so that the power stays on

I do a few more cycles in the giant human sized hamster wheel hooked up to a generator instead. I know, placebo, but it seems to work better

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
no sincerely tho I've lived in wny all my life and these last few days have been some crazy rear end weather. Granted this is the closest I've lived to the Niagara River/Lake Erie during that time, but I've never seen basically non-stop snow and wind for two days like that before.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I simply stayed home and did not go anywhere during the bad weather, and I live to tell the tale.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but killer snowmen came in and ate you during the night.

You forgot to surround your self in a circle of salt when you went to sleep to keep the evil snow spirits away.

Better luck next time thou!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the real trick is to get the salt circler as soon as it unlocks after the first night of the storm so your whole base just has that protection going forward

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

It's fine you just shovel the snow

this kills many people every year

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yah it's almost as if that was a flippant comment made in jest

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

the real trick is to get the salt circler as soon as it unlocks after the first night of the storm so your whole base just has that protection going forward

make sure to also pee around the perimeter of your domain to reinforce the ward

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/1607724097714401280
https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/1607719319647178753

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

oh God that loving ukulele and bells poo poo. 🤮

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Unless posted:

this kills many people every year

How do people die from shoveling? Do they get hosed up from being outside, or are they out of shape and the sudden higher intensity cardio kills them? (i'm from a non-snowy area)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You basically nailed it, it's just very easy to underestimate how much physical strain it actually puts on your body - especially in winter time when you might already not be feeling well.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

How do people die from shoveling? Do they get hosed up from being outside, or are they out of shape and the sudden higher intensity cardio kills them? (i'm from a non-snowy area)

It's usually the second one. Shoveling can be pretty demanding on the heart, so people who are in poor shape or just older are more likely to have cardiac events.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
when it snows that much you have to go outside and shovel every few inches basically, if you wait until its completely over and try to shovel multiple feet at once then lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Koirhor posted:

when it snows that much you have to go outside and shovel every few inches basically, if you wait until its completely over and try to shovel multiple feet at once then lmao

this was impossible during this storm. it was too windy to shovel anything effectively until Friday morning, when three feet had accumulated lol

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

a lot of cardiac arrests happen on the toilet because a very sudden spike in blood pressure is enough to tip someone's damaged but functioning heart over the edge

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this was impossible during this storm. it was too windy to shovel anything effectively until Friday morning, when three feet had accumulated lol

and this snow was heavy as F.. the temp passed the "light n fluffy" temp, to ice crystals that settle just so to be real real real dense.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
The cold also raises BP which can lead to an increase in heart problems during exertion

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/waEMD/status/1607813249956990977

New weather threat unlocked

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

honey, don't forget your spray bottle of piss. it's supposed to jellyfish this afternoon

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

the jellies will inherit the earth

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

If your OEM ever starts a sentence with "So," some hosed up poo poo is about to follow

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Portland area has gone from two days of freezing rain, to torrential rain, to sustained high winds (and still rain).

It sounds like the roof is about to come off my office.

I like weather but not when it's happening all at once.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean, you don't need jellyfish for floodwater to be bad news. Don't go in floodwaters without protection unless it's life or death.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Relax, that's Aurelia, they're fine. Unless it's an advance scout for the Cyanea invasion in which case you should run away in fear. Do not ever punch one, it's like a three day sunburn.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

*furiously taking notes* don't fistfight a jellyfish

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Jellyfish fistfight is a good username
Or jellyfish fleshlight

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Spaced God posted:

Or jellyfish fleshlight

jellyfish fleshfist

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spaced God posted:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Spaced God posted:

how could you they don't even have fists bro

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

how could you they don't even have fists bro

some of them really pack a punch tho

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Or jellyfish fleshlight

I'd go with Jellyfish Fleshfight, personally.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

yah it's almost as if that was a flippant comment made in jest

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i have a deep-seated irrational fear of jellyfish that i think was birthed from the one time i was out on a small boat with friends, off the norwegian coast - what i can recollect is looking down at the water and suddenly seeing an absolute sea of jellies drifting by, as if they had appeared out of nowhere. the thought of falling into that water and being entangled by thousands of their near lifeless zombielike movements and tentacles chill me to the core :(

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

They're not strangles they're hugs! They can't help that they hurt :unsmith:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

AEMINAL posted:

i have a deep-seated irrational fear of jellyfish that i think was birthed from the one time i was out on a small boat with friends, off the norwegian coast - what i can recollect is looking down at the water and suddenly seeing an absolute sea of jellies drifting by, as if they had appeared out of nowhere. the thought of falling into that water and being entangled by thousands of their near lifeless zombielike movements and tentacles chill me to the core :(

I have a super strong wariness of lakes because while on a boat in minnesota with my cousin I was looking down and just kept seeing all these super long strands of kelp and looking at the depth finder and it was 30+ ft deep and it looked like they could just tangle up in my legs and drown me and then obviously a northern pike would like tear me apart with their creepy mouths.

:respek:

I've been living in the seattle area since 2005 and honestly despite spending a bunch of time walking the shores, i've never seen many jellyfish. still creepy though.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
just a herd of little smol goo beans with taser noodles :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
once i was surfing and a shark bumped into my leg and that's when i realized they're just idiotic swimming puppies and am no longer afraid of sharks. that's my ocean story, thank you