Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jeffreyw posted:

There's another Reuters article that claims that there's some evidence that a not insignificant number of people ordered 2022 Teslas to flip, as they were the default option for an EV in the mind of a lot of people.

Now, there are apparently a lot of "used" 2022 Teslas sitting in used car lots that difficult to move and are rapidly depreciating since Musk burst the Tesla bubble. Which is also apparently tanking new Tesla sales because why buy new when you can buy a used Tesla that is for all intents and purposes new.

https://i.imgur.com/bXsmf6J.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

They've been rolling out "tsla stock fall has little to do with Elon's Twitter antics" for a while now tho, and it seems to mostly be trying to fool people to believing that a car marketed at rich environmentalist liberals can sell when you attack environmentalist liberals.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

They've been rolling out "tsla stock fall has little to do with Elon's Twitter antics" for a while now tho, and it seems to mostly be trying to fool people to believing that a car marketed at rich environmentalist liberals can sell when you attack environmentalist liberals.

Reminds me when I worked on REI and they opened a store in DC and very naively, over my repeated insistence this was a bad idea, ran an ad campaign about it not mattering your political background just enjoy the outdoors.

They got a loooooooot of spicy messages from their DC consumer base who were not pleased at loving all to be lumped with Republicans and the campaign got shut off early.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Twitter appears to be falling apart lately too, it now takes me 2 or 3 attempts to post a tweet before it goes through

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

smoobles posted:

Twitter appears to be falling apart lately too, it now takes me 2 or 3 attempts to post a tweet before it goes through

Who needs that extra datacenter anyways?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Twitter is working fine for me, better than ever in fact, and there’s a lot more free speech and a lot less child sexual abuse material.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to Musk's inverse class action lawsuit were he names everyone as the defendant for tanking his value by dunking on him

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Is there something about Elon and/or Tesla that makes people's brains short circuit? Did people for real buy new Teslas with the goal of flipping them for profit? New cars, the thing that famously loses a large percentage of its value the second you become its first owner.

That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Love watching that number slide! I keep thinking about the guy that bought all those shares at 142.
:rubby:

113.44 now

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Offler posted:

Is there something about Elon and/or Tesla that makes people's brains short circuit? Did people for real buy new Teslas with the goal of flipping them for profit? New cars, the thing that famously loses a large percentage of its value the second you become its first owner.

For a time that worked, actually! Gas prices were through the roof and so demand for EVs rose sharply!

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-used-car-price-bubble-pops-weighs-new-car-demand-2022-12-27/

"Software engineer Greg Profitt bought a new Model Y last year for $49,000 and sold it three months later for $12,000 more. He ordered a new one - but has just bought a used Tesla at a discount."

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

love watching number go down

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It lost a buck in the last 3 mins!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Already sub 113 since last post. Holy poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Droogie posted:

Love watching that number slide! I keep thinking about the guy that bought all those shares at 142.
:rubby:

113.44 now

Hope he has had a life insurance policy for two or more years already

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I mean, if there was a waitlist and you had a way of short-circuiting it, there’s at least a potential way of re-selling a Tesla at a profit.

They would’ve been at risk of the market for teslas drying up, which guess what the gently caress happened? :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My god it’s beautiful

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching Number is by far the best entertainment I've had all month.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Iskanderson posted:

For a time that worked, actually! Gas prices were through the roof and so demand for EVs rose sharply!

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-used-car-price-bubble-pops-weighs-new-car-demand-2022-12-27/

"Software engineer Greg Profitt bought a new Model Y last year for $49,000 and sold it three months later for $12,000 more. He ordered a new one - but has just bought a used Tesla at a discount."

Well, of course it worked for Greg Profitt - that's just nominal determinism at work!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

fizzy posted:

Watching Number is by far the best entertainment I've had all month.

"welcome to Numberwang, I'm your host, the wang"
-Elon

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Offler posted:

I think it's capitalism in general. If a wealthy person proves to be a complete dunce, then maybe our entire system of assuming that rich people are 'better than' and 'more capable than' is a house of cards and not actually a good way to organize our society.

Nah....Elon Musk didn't fail us, but we failed Elon Musk by not being sufficiently grateful for all that he's doing for humanity, such as

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Offler posted:

Car value the last year has been nuts. I just bought my car out of the lease (usually a famously bad deal) for 18k - it's worth $10k more than that to sell on the used market. Waiting lists for cars if you don't want to pay over rrp are 9+ months, and if you want to walk away with it today, you can expect to pay 30%+ over rrp, which all goes to the dealership. Corvettes and other luxury cars can go for 50% over if the manufacturer doesn't put a limit.

My friend works at a BMW shop (they are not allowed to sell over rrp) and he said the last z4 they got, the morning after the email alert came in there were 6 people ready to buy it and it sold to the second guy, within an hour of opening. Next one is due in 2 months, and after that they'll only get one in if someone cancels a custom order. Resale value is the same as rrp, if not a touch over.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 27, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon was in a spot where he could promise any and every feature you could ever want in a car, and if didn't work, well it was because the government or big oil wouldn't let it happen.

Now everyone is seeing that Elon is just a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

Car value the last year has been nuts. I just bought my car out of the lease (usually a famously bad deal) for 18k - it's worth $10k more than that to sell on the used market. Waiting lists for cars if you don't want to pay over rrp are 9+ months, and if you want to walk away with it today, you can expect to pay 30%+ over rrp, which all goes to the dealership. Corvettes and other luxury cars can go for 50% over if the manufacturer doesn't put a limit.

My friend works at a BMW shop (they are not allowed to sell over rrp) and he said the last z4 they got, the morning after the email alert came in there were 6 people ready to buy it and it sold to the second guy, within an hour of opening. Next one is due in 2 months, and after that they'll only get one in if someone cancels a custom order. Resale value is the same as rrp, if not a touch over.

My plan was to replace my old car about a year after I started my new career. That was in 2019. I'm still driving my 2003 car that I've had since 2004.

I just hope that when I replace my car once it's old enough to rent it's own car, that I can get one that lasts just as long. That should take me to the end of my life...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah the platform's fine...I had enough time to see this happening, launch a screen recorder, record about 20 seconds of this mess...sure, no problem at all.

https://i.imgur.com/zOFH5oj.mp4

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 27, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tamba posted:

(values are in Euro)

Not any more lol

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Can wait for Elon to post that his stock is at 69

What a funny guy he is :roflolmao:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
it's not news that some idiot bought a tesla to resell at profit and lost money. it's news because scalpers have been doing it successfully since covid and it's finally stopped working.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The X-man cometh posted:

How much money have the Saudis and Qataris lost since then? Enough to call the bone saw crew?

Both are at a level of wealth where profit and the way normal people think about money is honestly irrelevant. What matters isn't money, it's power, influence and respect. The Wrold Cup lost a poo poo-ton of money but it bought the Qataris a ton of respect and legitimacy in the Arab and Muslim world (even though it lost them a ton in the educated west) where Qatar has recently been despised and hated among the other gulf states. So it's a success.

LIV Golf has also lost a shitton of money but instead of becoming a genuine rival to PGA it's lead to renewed attention to Saudi Arabia's role in 9/11, the golfers who defected for enormous paychecks are mocked and heckled at the events, and the former president who it was at least a convenient way to legally bribe has seen his national political stock go way down after losing. Again. So it's a failure.

The issue isn't that Elon's losing money. The issue is that he's a laughing stock and making a fool of himself which brings the US' and EU's eye of Sauron on twitter which makes it much much harder for the Saudis and Qataris to use it as a way to influence discourse in the west. And he makes them look dumb.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Elon has always obsessed with self-destructive end of quarter pushes for Tesla, rather than stabilizing their production/distribution channels and missing pointless targets once. Pretty sure some EV purchase tax credits reactivate for Tesla then too, so it's all doubly pointless. So they're shoving out inventory at discount rather than waiting for January 1st because ???

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I could watch billionaires lose money all day

I don't give a gently caress about the welfare of billionaires

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

elon: "hey kids, I have to go to Mars now"

*slidewhistle*

insert: "elon died on the way to his new planet"

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Before Musk bought Twitter, I didn't realize that companies could sell solar credits to other companies so that they would hit environmental regulations. What a hosed system.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

*bangs fists on table*

LOWER LOWER LOWER

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looks like it touch 111.55 for a minute

Slam that sell, mf’ers!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Slightly afield, but which episode was this? I recognize the gag but cannot for the life of me place it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://stocktwits.com/symbol/TSLA
Tiniest dead cat bounce and the feed is full of muskrats going YES YES MOOOOOON

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Slightly afield, but which episode was this? I recognize the gag but cannot for the life of me place it.

Can't remember the specific episode, but I think it was based on Enron's collapse. That would place it in late 2001 I suppose? It was used in "The Smartest Guys in the Room."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Special Edna, season 14 ep 7