Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

PerniciousKnid posted:

"Do you want naan bread or bread bread" is a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As long as people know what you're saying and you aren't too stupid to realize when nobody has a clue what you're talking about, just say whatever, who cares, and you can take that all the way to the ATM machine

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
gimme some of that subcontinental flatbread.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FFT posted:

"chai tea" is redundant like "naan bread" is redundant fyi

except that tge words "chai" and "tea" actually descend from the same word. which is pronounced "chai"

I bet you also complain when people call it an rear end to mouth machine machine :rolleyes:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

actionjackson posted:

if you mainly drink monster gamer fuel then yes

you might also not be steeping it for the rigtht amount of time, or not heating the water to the proper temp

i like boiling/210 and then five minutes for herbal and black

Monster gamer fuel tastes like citric acid. No not like that, like they took a container from a chemistry set and I can still taste the poweder because they didn't stir it enough.

Also that's a lot of work for something that tastes like dirt.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I hadn’t been to Epcot in a long time but from what I recall like Tomorrowland the “future” or “fair” part was completely out of date. I don’t necessarily blame Disney for abandoning the concept and I’m not sure anyone would be too interested in having 1950s retro future in the magic kingdom and 1970s retrofuture next door but the marvel stuff just feels kinda low effort. especially since Disney studios or whatever mgm studios got renamed to is there too. I guess Epcot is where they had space.

imo its good for one of the world's largest capitalist corporations to admit that capitalism has no future to offer

plus there's rides

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

FFT posted:

except that tge words "chai" and "tea" actually descend from the same word. which is pronounced "chai"

prescriptivists gently caress off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ArmZ posted:

Grammar is just capitalism trying to sell you more books

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FFT posted:

Irregardless, the words have literally changed their meaning, so now chai and tea mean two different things. Compare French blanc with English black for a fun extreme example.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Also that's a lot of work for something that tastes like dirt.

how is steeping in boiling water for five minutes a lot of work

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

how is steeping in boiling water for five minutes a lot of work

It's like 5 more steps than just drinking from a puddle in the street

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Like I'm not gonna pretend old EPCOT was anything too special, much like an actual world's fair all the exhibits were sponsored by giant corporations that very much wanted to show their squeaky-clean vision of the future enabled by the magical miracles of consumerism, but that's still at least some kind of hope for a better future rather than just the big nihilistic void that we seem to have replaced it with as a culture.

It waa funny when they showed us the original EPCOT hype videos from back in the day, and then later on when they paraded us through EPCOT in present day(2011) and the difference was pretty bad, I can only imagine what it's like now. I do know they gutted the norwegian ride (that literally tens of thousands of people specifically went to disney world yearly to ride, for some reason) and replaced it with the tamest shittiest Frozen ride.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Rosehip tea is pretty cool, and doesn't involve leaves.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ArmZ posted:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FFT posted:

Blame Starbucks for introducing me to chai decades ago by labeling their menu item as "chai tea latte". Oddly enough, I've never called naan "naan bread".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mount Fuji, graphical GUI interface, Department of Defense.

Also the Boston Harbor is the only acceptable tea :911:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the the tar tar pits

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You have to specify you mean the bread if you live somewhere Nan might mean your grandmother.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
can’t loose leaf the opposing team after landing a sweet 360 no scope

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

You have to specify you mean the bread if you live somewhere Nan might mean your grandmother.

Can't tell if you're trolling or live somewhere where naan and Nan sound the same.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://twitter.com/nocontextbrits/status/1562074931160092673?s=24&t=taVR3nWOk4kU8jQBDs0u4w

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
policies of naan intervention

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BonHair posted:

Mount Fuji, graphical GUI interface, Department of Defense.

“Fuji” actually is the mountain’s name, the equivalent of “mount” in the japanese is the -san in “fujisan” :goonsay:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

World War Mammories posted:

“Fuji” actually is the mountain’s name, the equivalent of “mount” in the japanese is the -san in “fujisan” :goonsay:

no it's 富士山 bc they speak japanese in japan

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

My condolences.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

World War Mammories posted:

i will NEVER stop saying mount fujiyama. stop leaving angry letters in my mailbox.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Fuji-baka

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lmfao the sudden realization and weight of mortality

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I love this big beefy boy who's so excited to get made into paste. I think there's a little fear in his eyes though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hobbesmaster posted:

I hadn’t been to Epcot in a long time but from what I recall like Tomorrowland the “future” or “fair” part was completely out of date. I don’t necessarily blame Disney for abandoning the concept and I’m not sure anyone would be too interested in having 1950s retro future in the magic kingdom and 1970s retrofuture next door but the marvel stuff just feels kinda low effort. especially since Disney studios or whatever mgm studios got renamed to is there too. I guess Epcot is where they had space.

retrofuturism owns and marvel is embarrassing just saying

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

BonHair posted:

Irregardless, the words have literally changed their meaning, so now chai and tea mean two different things. Compare French blanc with English black for a fun extreme example.

Superficially this is inaccurate since the cognate of "blanc" in English is "blank", which doesn't contrast in the way you're describing. But comparing the etymologies of "black" and "blank", it seems the situation there is odder than I anticipated:

wiktionary posted:

From Middle French blanc, from Old French blanc, from Late Latin, Vulgar Latin *blancus, a borrowing of Frankish *blank, from Proto-Germanic *blankaz (“bright, shining, blinding, white”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰleyǵ- (“to shine”).

wiktionary posted:

From Middle English blak, black, blake, from Old English blæc (“black, dark", also "ink”), from Proto-West Germanic *blak, from Proto-Germanic *blakaz (“burnt”) (compare Dutch blaken (“to burn”), Low German blak, black (“blackness, black paint, (black) ink”)[1], Old High German blah (“black”)), possibly from Proto-Indo-European *bʰleg- (“to burn, shine”) (compare Latin flagrāre (“to burn”), Ancient Greek φλόξ (phlóx, “flame”), Sanskrit भर्ग (bharga, “radiance”)).
So both "black" as dark and "blank" as light seem to have probably evolved from a root for "burning, shining", which suggests that their contrasting meanings correspond to temporal aspects of the process of burning something. First it's bright and radiant and then it's charred and dark. I wonder if that *blakaz/*blankaz distinction corresponds to any Proto-Germanic grammatical pattern for progression vs. perfection in a verb but I'm too lazy to go to my bookshelf and research right now

I leave it up to you to decide if this still seems similar to the "chai"/"tea" doublet

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
some guy in Rome yelling at guys in Britannia and Pontus to do Latin properly as they tell him gently caress off in a manner unintelligible to each other

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Biplane posted:

It waa funny when they showed us the original EPCOT hype videos from back in the day, and then later on when they paraded us through EPCOT in present day(2011) and the difference was pretty bad, I can only imagine what it's like now. I do know they gutted the norwegian ride (that literally tens of thousands of people specifically went to disney world yearly to ride, for some reason) and replaced it with the tamest shittiest Frozen ride.

Yep! My mom really liked the Norwegian ride too cuz she likes slow goofy boat rides like that (she gets nauseous easily on basically everything else). The Mexico boat ride is now also not about Mexico but about the Disney movie The Three Caballeros. I think shortly before you would have been working there, Spaceship Earth got a revamp to remove the incredibly outdated but fun future scenes where everyone's living on a space station and replace them with a scene of... Not Steve Jobs building the first apple computer in his garage, or something. At least Judy Dench narrates it now. I think the only ride they haven't touched at all since the very early days is the boat ride in The Land, I assume because literally nobody other than me knows it exists. It's great because there's never any line :v:

But yeah last time I was there was pre-shutdown 2020 (mostly cuz someone was visiting from the UK and I really wanted to drag them to Tiny England and see how they react) and literally the entirety of that big central area in future world was walled off and being torn down. Innoventions, the electric umbrella restaurant, that dancing fountain that I loving loved as a kid? All being chopped up and shoved into dumpsters. At the same time Disney clearly realizes that there's a lot of nostalgia or interest or whatever in old EPCOT, so there was a heck of a lot of shops and exhibits and poo poo featuring the old EPCOT symbols from when the park opened and logos of long-torn-down rides, like it was the primary branding they were pushing all over the park while tearing down the last remnants of it at the same time, which was real weird.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

The original idea was the ~corporate sponsors~ would periodically pay to revamp the exhibits in future world because obviously companies like Kodak will 1) have money forever and 2) always think keeping a theme park attraction up to date is the best way to spend millions of dollars of their advertising budget.

And, well, you can imagine how that went.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Anyone that cares about, let alone goes to Disneyland disgusts me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Anyone that cares about, let alone goes to Disneyland disgusts me

Good thing I'm talking about disney world :smug:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
chai just means tea in a variety of indian languages and in american english it just means tea like they have in India with random spices dunked in.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

should have gone with masala tea but its too late now

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
masala chai of course means something different in India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Milo and POTUS posted:

retrofuturism owns and marvel is embarrassing just saying

hauntology is a e s t h e t i c af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCPGQX9rU1s