Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

I got sucked in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So I got Triangle Strategy for Christmas. Haven't gone much beyond the demo chapters, just 1 battle but it's fun, albeit the mine battoe kicked my rear end a bit. For noe I've gotten an ice mage, a mage who blows, an accountant who seems a powerful TP manipulator an a kid who might not be ethical to deploy, but drat her decoys seem useful.

Any tips to take into account? My biggest hurdle is that maybe buying mats at the shop is not a good idea? Since I'm left with no money for upgrades.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Anyway golf story is the only switch game I ever 100%ed and I did it twice therefore it's the best game on the system

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished Paper Mario Origami King. Liked it, though I felt it went on just a little too long, could've done without one of the less fun levels, possibly the ice one if I remember right. Still, I enjoyed the writing, boss battles, even regular battles when there weren't too many of them.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So I got Triangle Strategy for Christmas. Haven't gone much beyond the demo chapters, just 1 battle but it's fun, albeit the mine battoe kicked my rear end a bit. For noe I've gotten an ice mage, a mage who blows, an accountant who seems a powerful TP manipulator an a kid who might not be ethical to deploy, but drat her decoys seem useful.

Any tips to take into account? My biggest hurdle is that maybe buying mats at the shop is not a good idea? Since I'm left with no money for upgrades.

Materials are definitely good, just make sure to check ahead on which materials you need for the upgrade you want. Otherwise you'll burn your cash without an immediate benefit for your next fight. Don't forget to occasionally do some of the bartender challenges for more exp, items, and materials.

Also, don't be afraid to redo tough fights. Your exp carries over and any severely under leveled units get a huge amount of exp to bring them up to the suggested level for the fight. And you get exp for most actions that you perform.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

One thing you can do is do the training fights inside your tent. They not only give you exp and money, but also mats. You can even do them over and over again, which becomes important if you suddenly run out of low-tier upgrade mats later (a lot of upgrades eat up mats like candy, and with multiple characters needing overlapping mat types, that gets costly fast).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Libluini posted:

One thing you can do is do the training fights inside your tent. They not only give you exp and money, but also mats. You can even do them over and over again, which becomes important if you suddenly run out of low-tier upgrade mats later (a lot of upgrades eat up mats like candy, and with multiple characters needing overlapping mat types, that gets costly fast).

Oh! I obv did them but I thought they gave no money. I guess I could repeat them a bit just to upgrade a bit more units them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Don't worry too much about money atm. You'll eventually get a unit that helps you make money faster and unlock a lvl 10 Tent Fight that will make it a cakewalk to grind, if you ever feel the need. Promoting is more bang for your buck than weapon upgrades, but you'll see what you want as you go about it, since those are rather rare to come by.

Both mages (all mages) are hard to run until they get some levels in them. That's where your accountant comes in. Feed them the TP because magic is very useful and your mage "that blows" is actually an excellent finisher. Decoy is very useful but be careful with the kid. Her other feature is offensive items and if you're already low on cash it may not be in your interest to use her just yet. That said, the spices that debuff/buff are relatively cheap so instead of spell items you can stack with her that and have her Benedict when she's not decoying.

Keep at it, don't let the story bog you down, since that seems like a hurdle for some people. The game really opens up at chapter 7.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Heave Ho is a great couch co-op family game. It’s about as dumb/funny as snipperclips (also fun) and it’s not as stressful as overcooked. My non video game playing family has been having fun.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Don't worry too much about money atm. You'll eventually get a unit that helps you make money faster and unlock a lvl 10 Tent Fight that will make it a cakewalk to grind, if you ever feel the need. Promoting is more bang for your buck than weapon upgrades, but you'll see what you want as you go about it, since those are rather rare to come by.

Both mages (all mages) are hard to run until they get some levels in them. That's where your accountant comes in. Feed them the TP because magic is very useful and your mage "that blows" is actually an excellent finisher. Decoy is very useful but be careful with the kid. Her other feature is offensive items and if you're already low on cash it may not be in your interest to use her just yet. That said, the spices that debuff/buff are relatively cheap so instead of spell items you can stack with her that and have her Benedict when she's not decoying.

Keep at it, don't let the story bog you down, since that seems like a hurdle for some people. The game really opens up at chapter 7.

The story is being interesting for me actually. Gotta love those intrigues and I can't wait to get outvoted into an evil path because I'm bad at convincing people.

Thanks for the advice! Also the mage that blows was a joke, it's because he starts as a wind mage :v:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i know forgotten land gets all the love, but how is star allies?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Got an hour's worth of 8 player Smash with nephews/nieces/brother in laws today. Never played with that many, it was loving awesome fun even though only a couple of us were competent at it.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Monster Sanctuary has me hooked on building monster teams. The synergy aspect of building teams in this is so satisfying. I am glad I decided to give this game another chance when I had the Pokémon bug.

This game rules so hard.

Also I’m so glad I’ve gotten over my life long aversion to spending gold in video games. Monster Sanctuary let’s you respec/boost levels/ warp around the world, it’s all consumables but they’re cheap to buy and I’m loving it. Instead of sitting on lots of skill points for ten levels to finish my builds, I spent the points as I leveled up and when I hit my target level spent 3% of my gold to redo my skill tree.

gently caress yea! Spend gold!

Its really very good. Health and mana regenerating after each battle is cool too, really cuts down on busywork as you explore. And as someone said, the designs are really cute and simple and it’s fun creating team synergies. It’s on gamepass if you’re a GaPass haver!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

It's Kirby. A competent if easy platformer. The game can nearly auto-run itself. I liked it but I also realized I'm a huge Kirby fan. Interestingly the game is a real love letter to the series and has a ton of references to it. It's not as good as Forgotten Land, but if you can get it cheap you'll likely enjoy it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Star Allies is alright. The base campaign is rather blah due to the level design being rather empty to accommodate for 4 players. Can be a fun time if playing with kids in the family though. The post-game campaign has some nice meat and difficulty on the other hand.

Would recommend getting at a discount if possible yeah.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blaziken386 posted:

I got a $20 eshop card for christmas so i decided to buy Atelier Ryza while it was on discount

review: its fun
update: after like twenty hours of playtime i have finally acquired the ability to craft The Hammer. Which means i can now run around pulverizing bushes into plant goo instead of following the plot.

game good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

It sucks. Its level design lacks any imagination or variety.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Whoops, played Monster Sanctuary for 8 hours straight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh! I obv did them but I thought they gave no money. I guess I could repeat them a bit just to upgrade a bit more units them.

Enemies can drop money, there’s an accessory that makes it really likely and a unit you who gets double money when he picks up the bags. Makes grinding money a breeze.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

abelwingnut posted:

Main campaign is boring but mercifully short. Post game is some of the most expansive Kirby content there is.

It's not anywhere in the same league as Forgotten Land but it is the only Kirby game that features the Friend Train and the only Kirby game in which you can play as my best friend Magolor.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Star allies is a baby's toy

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Hell yea, Monster Sanctuary!

I played it for an hour this morning!

My teams are really coming together. I’m running a chill team with Dark spirit wolf, ice blob, and shockhopper. Stacking up 7 chills and letting congeal hit for 7 DOTs is wild.

My other team is goblin brute, goblin warlock, and goblin hood. Big buffs for the team, debuffs for the enemy, BIG team shielding, and tons of crits from hood.

What kinda teams are you building?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Enemies can drop money, there’s an accessory that makes it really likely and a unit you who gets double money when he picks up the bags. Makes grinding money a breeze.

Ooh, the spoils have the money. That explains a lot.

Inzombiac posted:

I tried to get back to it but I was lost and the first battle I got took an eternitu, not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

That said before I get back to either game I gotta finish Bowser's Fury, only the Lucky Island shones left!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never argue that golf story is the best game on the system (it isnt), but it is good and fun and $6.

I will always argue that xenoblade games are bad 40 hour games masquerading as bad 150 hour games

The real answer, as always is to buy the actual best game on the switch, Broforce

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

abelwingnut posted:

Star Allies is pretty mid. Its designed for co-op, and is embarrassingly easy to breeze through with AI partners. The gameplay is classic Kirby & the extra playable characters from all of Kirby's history are fun to play as. Its just one of the weaker mainline entries. If you're looking for 2D Kirby, just wait until February for the Return to Dreamland port.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Star Allies has pretty good finale so it’s worth playing through if you can get it for $20 or so

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ooh, the spoils have the money. That explains a lot.

There’s a Triangle Strategy thread, come join us friend!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959830

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What’s a flashing green light on the dock indicate? I docked my switch to charge it two hours ago. I just noticed the green light on the dock was blinking. My switch didn’t charge. I unplugged/plugged in the dock and now it’s charging the switch and by all indications working normally.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Wildtortilla posted:

What’s a flashing green light on the dock indicate? I docked my switch to charge it two hours ago. I just noticed the green light on the dock was blinking. My switch didn’t charge. I unplugged/plugged in the dock and now it’s charging the switch and by all indications working normally.

Do you have a third party dock? It usually means the dock is borked. Most people suggest unplugging everything from the dock (HDMI, power, USB cables) and let it sit for a minute, then plug everything back in like you did. But it's probably the dock.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It’s the dock that came with the Switch. Thanks for the info.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Whoever said "visit your library" itt rules bc now I have the "kinda good but definitely not $60 kinda good" Bravely Default 2 on its way and a whole new path has opened up to me :)

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i was dabbling in dungeon encounters when i ran across a bandit enemy and hey hold the phone they can rob you into negative money???????

it's a good thing enemies drop so much gear because i'd be screwed otherwise!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

wizard2 posted:

Whoever said "visit your library" itt rules bc now I have the "kinda good but definitely not $60 kinda good" Bravely Default 2 on its way and a whole new path has opened up to me :)

Library gaming owns. I'm playing through Live A Live right now with a library copy and it's the perfect game to play over a two week check out period.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EightFlyingCars posted:

i was dabbling in dungeon encounters when i ran across a bandit enemy and hey hold the phone they can rob you into negative money???????

it's a good thing enemies drop so much gear because i'd be screwed otherwise!

you are in debt to the bandit. this is the most advanced form of banditry

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The bandit also stole your identity and took out several high interest loans

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

can't be mad at this little guy

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I sort of hate Mario games insistence on checkpoint less levels being fun and challenging.

The final mystery house and challenge road while very doable are tedious as all hell in 3D World. Maybe I’ll try Bowsers Fury for a bit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

can't be mad at this little guy

oh yeah, this is cute :3:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wildtortilla posted:

Hell yea, Monster Sanctuary!

I played it for an hour this morning!

My teams are really coming together. I’m running a chill team with Dark spirit wolf, ice blob, and shockhopper. Stacking up 7 chills and letting congeal hit for 7 DOTs is wild.

My other team is goblin brute, goblin warlock, and goblin hood. Big buffs for the team, debuffs for the enemy, BIG team shielding, and tons of crits from hood.

What kinda teams are you building?

Nice.
I started with the frog (natch) and am trying to build a poison team but nothing has really clicked yet.
I've yet to get any evolutions, so there's a lot of path ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i can't believe the bandit swiped my credit card and blew it all on FTX