Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Is that suppose to be a “sunny” view from the Western side because it really doesn’t sound like it.

Also, the Ukrainians haven’t been taking any significant territory for a while if anything it is the other way around, so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1607775023569281033?t=gU2gAa3Z-QhvSojPNfkIQw&s=19

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why dont they build a shell that is so advanced it can build more shells. like mastermold

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

OctaMurk posted:

put a radar or something on the tip of the artillery shell which automatically guides the shells on to the tanks

i will sell these shell to you for 5 million dollar

The very abridged version of the US plan for the next few years is a crapload of artillery rounds that go very far and are pretty accurate (tens of meters at maximum range) with a much smaller number of rounds that are actually precision or guided.

E: is one of these a fire and forget anti-armor artillery round? Yes.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Dec 27, 2022

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the very abridged us plan for now and forever is to throw massive amounts of money to produce a piddly number of shells that don't work as advertised and then either cancel the program or pay the manufacturers even more money to fix problems that they themselves created, hth

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Rutibex posted:

why dont they build a shell that is so advanced it can build more shells. like mastermold

you talking about some kinda big shell?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

the very abridged us plan for now and forever is to throw massive amounts of money to produce a piddly number of shells that don't work as advertised and then either cancel the program or pay the manufacturers even more money to fix problems that they themselves created, hth

This is compelling if you refuse to look at actual purchase quantities of pretty basic ammo in comparison with special use ammo.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Rutibex posted:

prefer to call it a "shell game"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

This is an advanced Russian project called Matryoshka.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Just work on a big gun that's can shoot anywhere on earth imo

The hard part is not getting assassinated by mossad

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Somebody should tell this guy to go just a little bit further back and read about Korea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
and if they don’t get you, that goddamned Mobius 1 will.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I thought cluster bombs were illegal but everyone uses them anyway.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

put a radar or something on the tip of the artillery shell which automatically guides the shells on to the tanks

i will sell these shell to you for 5 million dollar

That's a real proposal and the cost you said isn't far off. Look how much Copperhead cost and then keep going.

I'm stuck out west so I don't have my books or papers handy, but this was the idea behind the The British Royal Ordnance 81mm Merlin millimetric radar guided round, as well as other ideas. Remember that the shock of firing disables the GPS unit in Excalibur in an estimated 20-50% of projectiles, and radars are more delicate. You can perhaps see some of the problems.

The idea was to give mortar teams the ability to knock out Soviet AFVs but the cost was so much greater than MILAN I feel like they lost the plot. The end of the Cold War was enough to put a pin in Merlin and Copperhead, but it looks like the MIC is bringing out all the hits.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

An American saying hundreds of thousands of dead Vietnamese civilians in a decade plus of conflict not as big a deal as ten thousand plus dead Ukrainian civilians so far? Hmmm, his reasoning couldn’t possibly be motivated…

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Only if you're a signatory, I'd imagine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

https://twitter.com/joelw_762/status/1607312897989918726?s=20&t=gogVblfzTPrL8QPtRqjW2g

'Ok, Ishchenko is a reasonable person who makes an accurate point but he should be disregarded because lots of people disagree with him'

The only legitimate representatives of the Ukrainian people are hardline nationalists

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They’re not illegal. Some countries decided not to use them. Most major military powers opted to keep them in the inventory. Kind of a moot point for now when the US, Russia, PRC, and Ukraine all retain cluster munitions and the right to use them.

The US has their use on hold while determining if they can build an affordable alternative, but it’s purely self-imposed policy and not a commitment or treaty.

Frosted Flake posted:

That's a real proposal and the cost you said isn't far off.

The cost of $5 mil, which I think was posted facetiously, is dramatically far off. A whole cruise missile doesn’t cost nearly that much. It’s probably off by about 20-40x the price, and that’s before full rate production.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How does the hellfire on a truck do targeting

I feel like the radar in the sky is a pretty integral part of the system

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
realtalk, a while ago the us sent a bunch of "Phoenix Ghost" drones to ukraine. I havent been able to find any pictures or anything about them at all, unlike every other weapon. What happened to those, were they better than Switchblade 600s?

and in general, if you were going to buy a guided artillery shell or a loitering munition, why buy the guided artillery shell when the engineering challenges seem much more significant ?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OctaMurk posted:

realtalk, a while ago the us sent a bunch of "Phoenix Ghost" drones to ukraine. I havent been able to find any pictures or anything about them at all, unlike every other weapon. What happened to those, were they better than Switchblade 600s?

and in general, if you were going to buy a guided artillery shell or a loitering munition, why buy the guided artillery shell when the engineering challenges seem much more significant ?

grift and grift

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The artillery shell gets to the target a lot faster

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

The artillery shell gets to the target a lot faster

And is comparatively hard to shoot down.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

And is experimental ammunition as opposed to mass produced, decades old technology.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Here's a publicly released cost breakdown of 81mm rounds and their components. As you can see, the fusing is the most expensive component of a mortar bomb.

Compare and contrast with the requirements for Merlin. Just look at the components here:

and you can see the cost would be exorbitant, though the exact cost estimates are still not publicly available and I can't look anything up from my laptop while travelling.

As with many of these things, The Weapon of the Future was just around the corner in 1985. I mean, DIME, FAP and PELE are far simpler and have also been in development since the mid 80's, with no sign of deployment in sight. A guided mortar projectile that contains a radar is not going to be much less expensive now than it was then, and as soon as the wall came down there was no reason for it.

I also don't have my radar reference books handy, but guidance was by millimetric radar, seeking its own target within a 330 x 330 yard (300m x 300m) area at the top of the trajectory. That means a significant complexity, size and cost was required for the seeker. The cost of that alone would be ridiculous, particularly if it was expected to reliably survive the shock of firing.

More to the point, as always, it was posted facetiously, and is exaggerated for comedic effect and brevity.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's going to happen to lib brains when the reality of this war (how it's going to end) actually comes to be?

I'm seeing all these people who 100% believe that Ukraine has just been owning the Russian army over, and over, and over again for months while taking almost no losses whatsoever. And they believe that the Ukrainians are all libs just like them.

Aren't you never supposed to fall for your own propaganda?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat i wish I had TV eyes :eyepop:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

What's going to happen to lib brains when the reality of this war (how it's going to end) actually comes to be?

I'm seeing all these people who 100% believe that Ukraine has just been owning the Russian army over, and over, and over again for months while taking almost no losses whatsoever. And they believe that the Ukrainians are all libs just like them.

What do you mean? Ukraine has already won

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spacetoaster posted:

Well, the MIC will have got what they wanted, something approaching Cold War spending on hardware, and the US will have got what they wanted, Europe tied to the US and in a financially weakened state. Liberals will think that the West prevented a second Holodomor, and western liberal democracy is flourishing in the blood and soil state with no opposition parties or media.

Probably the history of the Second World War will be rewritten in popular history instead of just obscured. Canadian domestic politics will be unbearable. I've heard they're going to throw the book at the journalist accused of "desecrating" the Waffen SS memorials out west.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, they'll probably just memory hole everything and claim they always knew it was going to end this way.

I'm also certain they'll pat themselves on the back and say that they prevented Russia from taking ALL of Ukraine.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
since the lib is incapable of real introspection or admitting that they were wrong some excuse will always be found

if ukraine loses badly enough they'll just turn on a dime and start blaming the ukrainians for not fighting hard enough

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
the expectations were set in february that ukraine would fall in 3 days and be entirely occupied by russia. therefore i think most LIBS would actually be fine with a ceasefire where ukraine loses the east because this exceeds their initial expectations

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Russia will end up with more than their request before the guns started going bang (Donetsk and Lugansk autonomy and vote for independence) but the libs will see it as a victory.

Winter war part 2: Electric boogaloo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

the expectations were set in february that ukraine would fall in 3 days and be entirely occupied by russia. therefore i think most LIBS would actually be fine with a ceasefire where ukraine loses the east because this exceeds their initial expectations

They don't remember their initial expectations either

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rutibex posted:

A shell that can return to the cannon that fired it after reaching its destination, like those reusable rockets.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

A shell that can return to the cannon that fired it after reaching its destination, like those reusable rockets.

now we're talking . . . how about reusable cruise missiles? it flies over the target, drops a payload, then returns to a launch site. could even include a human operator onboard since its no longer sacrificial

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

:)

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

OctaMurk posted:

now we're talking . . . how about reusable cruise missiles? it flies over the target, drops a payload, then returns to a launch site. could even include a human operator onboard since its no longer sacrificial

kind of like an Uber Eats of bomb delivery... we need to develop an app for that

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, the MIC will have got what they wanted, something approaching Cold War spending on hardware, and the US will have got what they wanted, Europe tied to the US and in a financially weakened state. Liberals will think that the West prevented a second Holodomor, and western liberal democracy is flourishing in the blood and soil state with no opposition parties or media.

Probably the history of the Second World War will be rewritten in popular history instead of just obscured. Canadian domestic politics will be unbearable. I've heard they're going to throw the book at the journalist accused of "desecrating" the Waffen SS memorials out west.

WW2 getting more and more distorted in the minds of the public in the internet age is slowly driving me completely insane and I hate it

There’s something uniquely crazy about learning something at an academic level at the same time as it’s being deliberately forgotten in the public mindset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
They will do like they always do/did in Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam: bite down on their own propaganda, insisting they are gonna win until it blows up in their face. Then, they will pull out and pretend nothing ever happened and they always knew, but did it anyway.

And no one will give a drat anyway.